Pascal's Wager Argument

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
anonymous66

Re: Pascal's Wager Argument

Post by anonymous66 »

Count Lucanor wrote: November 16th, 2022, 8:20 am
anonymous66 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 11:09 am But you're presenting a false dichotomy. You're acting as if there are only 2 options - Atheism or Christianity. And you're only considering one interpretation of Christianity. It is entirely possible for someone to believe as you do about this one form of Christianity and yet not consider himself to be an atheist. And not to become (as you admit about yourself) "tactless and undiplomatic".
So you agree there are many options: Yahve, Odin, Zeus, Mithra, Osiris...any of the thousand of gods, and they are all equally tenable beliefs, right?
Equally tenable? I don't know about that. If I was interested in religion (I'm not) then I suppose I would spend some time learning about the various religions and then try to come up with a way to rate them.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

anonymous66 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 8:38 am
anonymous66 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 11:09 am But you're presenting a false dichotomy. You're acting as if there are only 2 options - Atheism or Christianity. And you're only considering one interpretation of Christianity. It is entirely possible for someone to believe as you do about this one form of Christianity and yet not consider himself to be an atheist. And not to become (as you admit about yourself) "tactless and undiplomatic".
So you agree there are many options: Yahve, Odin, Zeus, Mithra, Osiris...any of the thousand of gods, and they are all equally tenable beliefs, right?
Equally tenable? I don't know about that. If I was interested in religion (I'm not) then I suppose I would spend some time learning about the various religions and then try to come up with a way to rate them.
If you don't know, can't you just admit that there are many options? They are all equally open to inquiry and they all deserve the same treatment, right? Otherwise it seems as if you were saying: "if it doesn't satisfy my inquiries, I will not admit this belief", but how does that approach differ from one of an atheist?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Count Lucanor wrote: November 16th, 2022, 9:27 am
If you don't know, can't you just admit that there are many options? They are all equally open to inquiry and they all deserve the same treatment, right? Otherwise it seems as if you were saying: "if it doesn't satisfy my inquiries, I will not admit this belief", but how does that approach differ from one of an atheist?
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the approach of the atheist?" My criticism was over what appeared to me to be a false-dichotomy (the assertion that there are only 2 possibilities - superstitious religious belief or atheism).
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

anonymous66 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 9:35 am
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the approach of the atheist?" My criticism was over what appeared to me to be a false-dichotomy (the assertion that there are only 2 possibilities - superstitious religious belief or atheism).
An atheist, or at least a typical atheist, had spent some time learning about the claims of some number of religions, as well as claims from philosophy and science, and came up with a rating, which justifies his/her disbelief in particular religious claims about supernatural entities and events. You then endorsed this approach when I asked you to consider the many religions available. So in what sense the atheist is creating a false-dichotomy? If your skeptic approach towards other religions allows you to rule all of them out, aren't you creating a dichotomy, too?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Count Lucanor wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:40 am
An atheist, or at least a typical atheist, had spent some time learning about the claims of some number of religions, as well as claims from philosophy and science, and came up with a rating, which justifies his/her disbelief in particular religious claims about supernatural entities and events. You then endorsed this approach when I asked you to consider the many religions available. So in what sense the atheist is creating a false-dichotomy? If your skeptic approach towards other religions allows you to rule all of them out, aren't you creating a dichotomy, too?
You still haven't addressed the false dichotomy I brought up. Is it the case that there are only 2 possibilities - superstitious religious belief or atheism?
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

If your skeptic approach towards other religions allows you to rule all of them out, aren't you creating a dichotomy, too?
You've missed my point completely. And I haven't taken the time to "rule them all out" - I don't care enough to do so. I'm not creating a false dichotomy because I understand that there are other possibilities besides atheism or superstitious religious belief. For example, I acknowledge the existence of deism. I acknowledge the fact that there are are people who reject superstitious religious belief and yet who are not atheists - that's been my point all along.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

anonymous66 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 8:12 am
Sy Borg wrote: November 15th, 2022, 6:11 pm
anonymous66 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 11:17 am
Sy Borg wrote: November 14th, 2022, 11:38 pm

The most compelling argument for atheism is the utter, utter silliness of superstitious religious belief. There's precious little difference between disbelieving Abrahamic myths and disbelieving myths of Santa Claus. There's shouldn't even be a name for it. It's simply a refusal to believe in nonsense just because some people vouch for it.
There are many people who don't buy into superstitious religious belief and yet are not atheists. Again a false dichotomy - you're acting as if there are only 2 options - superstitious religious belief or atheism.
Not at all. It's the incoherence of your worldview that created a false dichotomy in your mind. Theists, ie. those who believe that Iron Age Abrahamic mythology is true, are inherently superstitious by definition. There are two broad angles - realism and superstition - although how heavily theists lean into the superstition will obviously vary, which appeared to be your point. However, there are many options regarding reality that are not measured against Abrahamic mythology. Last time I analysed the possibilities, I came up with eleven of them. I presume you didn't read that.
Okay - so we both agree that there are more possibilities than just atheism or superstitious religious belief. Deism comes to mind as a counterexample.
Here are the possibilities (copied and pasted with additions). Feel free to add.

1. There is no deity. The universe is self-organising, though perhaps some entities will evolve/develop in the far future that we today would perceive as godlike. [Spinozan, although he said the universe was God]

2. Deities are subjectively real, but not [ontologically]. Belief in the agency of nature was passed down thousands of generations of human ancestors, who believed that powerful natural entities had agency. Thus, deities are subjectively real as a potential in our brain configuration, inherited from a long line of superstitious ancestors, but they don't exist ontologically.

3. There are synergies in reality, as described in the Tao, Buddhism and other schemas. These, as per #2, might be be interpreted as a deity or deities.

4. The Sun has a kind of consciousness that could be interpreted as a deity. We are increasingly finding organisation in the Sun's structure. It might produce a different kind of consciousness to anything we imagined.

5. The Earth has a kind of consciousness that could be interpreted as a deity. After all, we are only a small part of Earth, so it's logically greater, and we are a system within the Earth's system. Again, maybe there's complex organisation in our planet that we don't understand.

6. The entire universe is conscious to some extent, and this is interpreted as a deity or deities.

7. The spirits of the dead still exist in another dimension/realm that could be interpreted as a deity or deities. There have been many hard-to-explain anecdotal incidents, but nothing conclusive. Many indigenous people believed this.

8. Multiple deities actually exist, and they might be interpreted in different ways. Hindus and many indigenous groups have their own particular polytheistic schemas. Even the Romans and Greeks, though I don't think they took them entirely seriously.

9. There is one supreme deity that created the universe and let it go. [the deism you mentioned]

10. There is one supreme interventionist deity that created everything. [could be theist or panentheist]

11. The multiverse exists and this is interpreted as a deist creator.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Sy Borg wrote: November 16th, 2022, 3:19 pm
There are many people who don't buy into superstitious religious belief and yet are not atheists. Again a false dichotomy - you're acting as if there are only 2 options - superstitious religious belief or atheism.
Not at all. It's the incoherence of your worldview that created a false dichotomy in your mind. Theists, ie. those who believe that Iron Age Abrahamic mythology is true, are inherently superstitious by definition. There are two broad angles - realism and superstition - although how heavily theists lean into the superstition will obviously vary, which appeared to be your point. However, there are many options regarding reality that are not measured against Abrahamic mythology. Last time I analysed the possibilities, I came up with eleven of them. I presume you didn't read that.
Okay - so we both agree that there are more possibilities than just atheism or superstitious religious belief. Deism comes to mind as a counterexample.
Here are the possibilities (copied and pasted with additions). Feel free to add.

1. There is no deity. The universe is self-organising, though perhaps some entities will evolve/develop in the far future that we today would perceive as godlike. [Spinozan, although he said the universe was God]

2. Deities are subjectively real, but not [ontologically]. Belief in the agency of nature was passed down thousands of generations of human ancestors, who believed that powerful natural entities had agency. Thus, deities are subjectively real as a potential in our brain configuration, inherited from a long line of superstitious ancestors, but they don't exist ontologically.

3. There are synergies in reality, as described in the Tao, Buddhism and other schemas. These, as per #2, might be be interpreted as a deity or deities.

4. The Sun has a kind of consciousness that could be interpreted as a deity. We are increasingly finding organisation in the Sun's structure. It might produce a different kind of consciousness to anything we imagined.

5. The Earth has a kind of consciousness that could be interpreted as a deity. After all, we are only a small part of Earth, so it's logically greater, and we are a system within the Earth's system. Again, maybe there's complex organisation in our planet that we don't understand.

6. The entire universe is conscious to some extent, and this is interpreted as a deity or deities.

7. The spirits of the dead still exist in another dimension/realm that could be interpreted as a deity or deities. There have been many hard-to-explain anecdotal incidents, but nothing conclusive. Many indigenous people believed this.

8. Multiple deities actually exist, and they might be interpreted in different ways. Hindus and many indigenous groups have their own particular polytheistic schemas. Even the Romans and Greeks, though I don't think they took them entirely seriously.

9. There is one supreme deity that created the universe and let it go. [the deism you mentioned]

10. There is one supreme interventionist deity that created everything. [could be theist or panentheist]

That looks like a pretty comprehensive list. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

anonymous66 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 3:41 pm

That looks like a pretty comprehensive list. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.
It was unreasonable of me to expect you to have seen it in this labyrinth. Thanks for giving me the chance to revisit it, because it strikes me as the nitty-gritty of many debates.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

I hadn't been reading this particular thread recently but found the post and discussion on different ideas of deities interesting. The one which I may add is the idea of the oversoul as being linked to a wider source, and this may relate to the idea of Plotinus's 'the one.' It would also relate to the understanding of the nature of the divine in theosophy and in esoteric systems of philosophy, both Eastern and Western. However, in such a view it is not necessary that one believes in the existence of God, making the idea of Pascal's wager as not necessary, or potentially redundant.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

When it comes to "oversouls", that could be humanity, life, the Earth, the Sun, the Milky Way, the Local group, the Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, or the universe as a whole. It's generally assumed that it's universal but, really, any of the above layers could seem to be universal. After all, everything we know that's ever happened in history happened on Sagan's 'pale blue dot'.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

anonymous66 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:51 am
You still haven't addressed the false dichotomy I brought up. Is it the case that there are only 2 possibilities - superstitious religious belief or atheism?
Didn't I just address it? Whoever takes a definite position on a subject, rules out any other position on the subject. You would call that a dichotomy: the stance taken and the stances ruled out. In the case of evaluating particular religious claims about supernatural entities and events, a person takes a stance, making them either endorsers or opponents of such claims, which is perfectly natural and valid. Arriving to such positions is what defines someone as an atheist or a theist. There's nothing wrong with this, but one also might choose not to have a definite position on a subject, such as religious claims, which automatically means not ruling out any position, necessarily opening up the possibility of belief in any religious claim, from any religion. That seemed to be your initial approach when claiming a dichotomy would be false, however when I brought it up, you reacted saying that you would need to study the claims of each religion to take a stance, doing actually what you criticize in atheists.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

anonymous66 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 1:42 pm For example, I acknowledge the existence of deism.
There are many options among deists, and some will endorse supernaturalism.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Count Lucanor wrote: November 16th, 2022, 7:32 pm
anonymous66 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:51 am
Didn't I just address it? Whoever takes a definite position on a subject, rules out any other position on the subject. You would call that a dichotomy: the stance taken and the stances ruled out. In the case of evaluating particular religious claims about supernatural entities and events, a person takes a stance, making them either endorsers or opponents of such claims, which is perfectly natural and valid. Arriving to such positions is what defines someone as an atheist or a theist. There's nothing wrong with this, but one also might choose not to have a definite position on a subject, such as religious claims, which automatically means not ruling out any position, necessarily opening up the possibility of belief in any religious claim, from any religion. That seemed to be your initial approach when claiming a dichotomy would be false, however when I brought it up, you reacted saying that you would need to study the claims of each religion to take a stance, doing actually what you criticize in atheists.
Taking a position is not an example of a false dichotomy.
Can we agree on a definition of a false dichotomy?
Here's what I have in mind.... Quote "A false dichotomy is typically used in an argument to force your opponent into an extreme position -- by making the assumption that there are only two positions. Examples: "If you want better public schools, you have to raise taxes. Unquote.
What i was criticising is the propensity of some atheists to act as if there are only 2 positions- atheism or superstitious religious beliefs. That is a classic example of a false dichotomy because it insists that there are only 2 positions.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

anonymous66 wrote: November 17th, 2022, 8:36 amExamples: "If you want better public schools, you have to raise taxes. Unquote.
What i was criticising is the propensity of some atheists to act as if there are only 2 positions- atheism or superstitious religious beliefs. That is a classic example of a false dichotomy because it insists that there are only 2 positions.
I see that as grouping. Consider the list of options above. Various of them can be roughly grouped as theism and atheism, just as mice and cats are part of the larger mammal group.

The trouble with grouping is that it's not precise, and is suitable for some purposes and not others. For example, mice and cats are both mammals,
so there are many common aspects of their care, as opposed to care for birds or reptiles. But that commonality does not mean it's a good idea to put the two species together in a room.

Some of the most bitter arguments have been between parties trying to determine the nuances of a roughly shared position. A fight between lovers or family members can be more bitter than any other. Consider the rift between Israelites and Palestinians. Israelites sniped fiercely at Canaanites in the Old Testament, yet they borrowed a range of attributes from the Canaanite deity, Baal, to attribute to their own deity, Yahweh.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream