From a Religious Viewpoint, is it My Fault That I'm an Atheist?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Belindi

Re: From a Religious Viewpoint, is it My Fault That I'm an Atheist?

Post by Belindi »

Ecurb wrote: February 24th, 2023, 6:53 pm I'm out of my depth here both philosphically and theologically. Nonetheless, I have two stories which may or may not be relevant.

One of the best sermons I've heard (there haven't been many; I'm not a church-goer) was in Compestelo. Those familiar with European history or Northern Spanish tourism may be familiar with the town: it is the end point of the Camino de Santiago, the most famous of all the Medieval European Pilgrimages. The pilgrimage honors St. James (Santiago is Spanish), the apostle who, legend has it, preached the gospel to Spain. As the Moslem armies pushed the Christians into the Northwest corner of Spain in the late 6th century, they bore with them a charm -- the arm of Mohammed -- which served as an amulet which never knew defeat. Fortunately, the Christian general unearthed the bones of the martyred St. James near Compestelo -- and their magic powers negated those of Mohammed's arm, and Christianity survived in Iberia.

Perhaps you have seen pictures of the Mass at the Cathedral in Compestelo. A great pendulun swings from the lofty ceiling, smoking with incense, which, at least in medieval times, must have served to hide the odor of the unwashed pilgrims.

When I attended the mass, some potentate gave the sermon. I'm not sure if he was a bishop or some other Catholic figure, but he wore a funny hat. He spoke in Spanish, which I will translate as best I can:

"I'd like to welcome the pilgrims," he said. "You are doubtless a diverse lot, and have many different reasons for making this pilgrimage. Some of you wanted the exercise (the "way" is more than 1000 km. long). Others may have wanted to lose weight. Perhaps some of you thought you would meet interesting people along the way. Some wanted to take in the beauty of Northern Spain. And some few, maybe, just maybe, went on this journey in the hope that you could find God. I'm here to tell you that you cannot find God. He must find you."

It was a great sermon, and I have no idea if the theology is approved by the Catholic church. It seems almost Calvinistic. My imperfect memory recalls that Calvinists believe that God calls only the Elect who, with his perfect foresight, he recognizes.

Here's my question: Does God look to "find" everyone, and can only succeed with those who are not hiding from Him?

Obviously, ignorance is a fault. We believe what we believe (as Goodegg said), but as we educate ourselves our beliefs change. We learn our multiplication tables, for one. Our beliefs can be correct or incorrect. So from a theological perspective, is belief in God a virtue because, like a mathematical proof, we can reason our way to it? Or is it a virtue because God calls to us, and we hear him if we open our ears? Or both? Or neither?
Yes, I'd say so. The cardinal was right. The subjective quest is itself the finding. The cardinal must be a Xian existentialist.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

LuckyR wrote: February 25th, 2023, 2:54 am
Well as you know, everyone has an opinion (that is, a belief) but no one knows (despite declarations of knowledge by some).

To my mind, the absence of proof of gods is not a barrier to belief (faith). In fact as you alluded to, belief in the absence of proof is true belief (as opposed to acknowledgment in the case of evidence and proof).
As I understand it (which is not very well) there is a distinction between "belief" and "faith" (from the standard Christian perspective). "Belief" refers to what we think (believe) is true.

Faith refers to having the courage of our convictions. Faith, hope and love (charity) are the three "theological virtues" of Medieval Catholicism. Of course it is not really a virtue to believe what we believe (although the diligence and rigor through which we come to our beliefs may be virtuous). But once we believe something -- especially without proof -- it is virtuous to stick by our beliefs, even when it is difficult or dangerous to do so. This fortitude is what "faith" refers to in Christianity. (Although, of course, according to Paul, it is a lesser virtue than love.)
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

By the way, I just reread my Camino post, and for the life of me I can't remember what the second story I promised was. I must have forgotten it while writing the sermon story.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: February 25th, 2023, 2:54 am Well as you know, everyone has an opinion (that is, a belief) but no one knows (despite declarations of knowledge by some).

To my mind, the absence of proof of gods is not a barrier to belief (faith). In fact as you alluded to, belief in the absence of proof is true belief (as opposed to acknowledgment in the case of evidence and proof).
Ecurb wrote: February 25th, 2023, 11:59 am As I understand it (which is not very well) there is a distinction between "belief" and "faith" (from the standard Christian perspective). "Belief" refers to what we think (believe) is true.

Faith refers to having the courage of our convictions. Faith, hope and love (charity) are the three "theological virtues" of Medieval Catholicism. Of course it is not really a virtue to believe what we believe (although the diligence and rigor through which we come to our beliefs may be virtuous). But once we believe something -- especially without proof -- it is virtuous to stick by our beliefs, even when it is difficult or dangerous to do so. This fortitude is what "faith" refers to in Christianity. (Although, of course, according to Paul, it is a lesser virtue than love.)
I was raised (by Roman Catholic cultists) to believe that faith is what enables one to believe something in the absence of evidence or proof. HTH.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Leontiskos
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle and Aquinas

Post by Leontiskos »

Ecurb wrote: February 25th, 2023, 11:59 am
LuckyR wrote: February 25th, 2023, 2:54 am
Well as you know, everyone has an opinion (that is, a belief) but no one knows (despite declarations of knowledge by some).

As I understand it (which is not very well) there is a distinction between "belief" and "faith" (from the standard Christian perspective). "Belief" refers to what we think (believe) is true.

There are all sorts of views on this, even among Christians and Catholics. The colloquial view, as you say, is that belief refers to affirmation of a proposition. The colloquial view of faith is harder to pin down, but it is something like "the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1).

For someone like Aquinas there are several intellectual acts, including consideration, inquiry, deliberation, demonstrative knowing, understanding, doubting, suspecting, opining, and believing (link). For Aquinas and many theologians the motive of belief--natural and supernatural--is trust in another's word. So if Aquinas looked today at the various affirmations of scientific propositions, he would note that something like 99% of them are acts of belief or faith since their rationale is an argument from authority. For most people with most scientific assertions (including scientists), they have not worked through the experiments and proofs themselves, and therefore they do not have demonstrative knowledge of the proposition in question. In our modern era with its robust specialization of knowledge, almost everything individuals know is known by faith in Aquinas' sense. Our scientific enterprise is an enormous network of trust and authority, which is of course ironic given how we profess to eschew arguments from authority.

Today under Protestant influence faith has come to take on an 'existential' color. That is, many theologians see faith as an act of trust in the person of God. For Aquinas this would be hope, not faith. It would be hope in God's goodness and his promises. Aquinas' understanding of faith would terminate in the concrete knowledge that trust in God's word makes possible.
Wrestling with Philosophy since 456 BC

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

Leontiskos wrote: February 25th, 2023, 1:19 pm That is, many theologians see faith as an act of trust in the person of God. For Aquinas this would be hope, not faith. It would be hope in God's goodness and his promises.
In common usage, seems like there is an overlap of meaning. I could impart the meaning "I have confidence that you will do the right thing" by saying "I believe in you". Or "I have faith in you". We say "belief" or "faith" when we mean "trust". So this is an area ripe for philosophical unpacking, for linguistic rigour.

Faithfulness, or keeping faith with someone, is a virtue. It's about integrity, about doing behind their back the same thing you'd do if they were watching. Trustworthiness, if you will.

Trusting someone is not inherently an act of virtue. People vary in their trustworthiness - to place one's trust in someone who has repeatedly shown themselves to be untrustworthy runs contrary to the virtue of prudence.

But if you would say in someone's presence that you trust them, but in your absence you do not, then you are not keeping faith with them. If you cannot say to God that you don't trust Him, then any everyday lack of trust is a lack of faithfulness.

Acting as if God's promise has been made to you personally when it was in fact made to others is an act of Hope.

Some people's faith seems to boil down to trusting God to exist. Which seems to make no sense; existence cannot be willed.

Some Christians talk of "knowing by faith". You're right that much of what we say we know we have not apprehended from first-hand experience, but only by trust in what others tell us...
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

Good_Egg wrote: February 26th, 2023, 5:18 amSome people's faith seems to boil down to trusting God to exist. Which seems to make no sense; existence cannot be willed.
It is incoherent to trust someone to exist, but not because beliefs are unrelated to volition. We covered that mistake earlier in the thread. The reason it is incoherent is because trust/faith implies a trusted authority whose word you are adhering to, and an authority whose existence is in question cannot supply the necessary testimony for any act of trust or faith made on their behalf. I can trust Fred when he tells me that he has shoveled my mother's driveway because I already know that Fred exists. But I cannot trust Fred to tell me he exists if his existence is the point at issue, for he whose existence is in question cannot testify to his own existence. He can demonstrate his existence in a way other than testimony, but this is different than trust or faith. Put differently, if we are questioning whether someone exists then we can't take them to be trustworthy.

So when someone says that they have faith that God exists, if they are to be coherent they must be trusting in the testimony of someone other than God, such as the Church or their parents.

At least this is true in the West. Some approaches to faith in the East have a different shape.

Socrates: He's like that, Hippias, not refined. He's garbage, he cares about nothing but the truth.
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

Leontiskos wrote: February 25th, 2023, 1:19 pm Our scientific enterprise is an enormous network of trust and authority, which is of course ironic given how we profess to eschew arguments from authority.
It is indeed an enormous network of trust. But the only authority it acknowledges is the authority of experience. All those scientists past, the nodes of the network, are trusted only to have made observations.and calculations that anyone else could subsequently replicate.

There is no argument from authority, no "Newton said this and Newton was a great man so it must be so".

Newton famously said "If I see further, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants".

But it's more like standing on the shoulders of a pyramid of honest men. The ideal of science is that nobody is automatically right because they're a giant.
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

Leontiskos wrote: February 25th, 2023, 1:19 pm Our scientific enterprise is an enormous network of trust and authority, which is of course ironic given how we profess to eschew arguments from authority.
It is indeed an enormous network of trust. But the only authority it acknowledges is the authority of experience. All those scientists past, the nodes of the network, are trusted only to have made observations.and calculations that anyone else could subsequently replicate.

There is no argument from authority, no "Newton said this and Newton was a great man so it must be so".

Newton famously said "If I see further, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants".

But it's more like standing on the shoulders of a pyramid of honest men. The ideal of science is that nobody is automatically right because they're a giant.
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Good_Egg wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 4:13 am

All experiences are unique. None can be "replicated".

Of course similar experiments can be repeated, with similar results. But not all scientific observation is experimental. In addition, scence is not the only path to knowledge. What about history? Can it be replicated, or should (sorry, Scott) we accept that Babe Ruth hit 714 regular season home runs on the basis of our faith in authority?

Nobody is "automatically right" whatever their stature. Nonetheless, I'd accept authoritative views rather than random ones. I believe the world is round despite Kyrie Irving's opinion to the contrary. Who am I going to believe? A baskeball star, or an astronomer? Or maybe I should believe generally accepted "facts" (Uh oh! Argumentum ad populum!).
"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it.
GK Chesterton

Infatuation with logical fallacies is, well, illogical.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Dlaw wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:36 pm Is atheism closest to a choice, a rebellion or something more like color-blindness.

I've always been an atheist so sometimes it's hard for me to understand to understand the impact my atheism has on others.

I feel like I take religion and religious people seriously, but sometimes that seems like it might be worse - might appear cynical or insulting in some way.

Thanks.
The omnipotent, omniscient God has made you in the certain knowledge that you will die a sinner and be damned in hell for eternity.

Tuff luck!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

N693 wrote: November 27th, 2022, 10:28 am Is it your "fault"? If this means "are you responsible", yes. But responsibility has mitigating factors: I may be objectively wrong about something but not culpable because I am innocently ignorant of my error. Or, I could be wrong about something and culpable because I willfully choose to be wrong, or I willfully choose to be ignorant of the truth.
But surely it is the devout that are willfully ignorant of the truth?
Are you trying to say that he is not sincere?
Leontiskos

Post by Leontiskos »

Ecurb wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:47 am
"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it.
GK Chesterton
A great quote! Chesterton is very much underrated.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream