Is the God of Abraham impossible? Why?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Charlemagne
Favorite Philosopher: Chesterton

Is the God of Abraham impossible? Why?

Post by Charlemagne »

This is not the same as another thread here with a similar title

I can see why atheists would regard so many gods as impossible . I also regard them as impossible. What I'd like to know is whether they regard the God of Abraham as equally impossible, since that God has proven to have considerably more historical staying power.

Your thoughts?
LuckyR

Re: Is the God of Abraham impossible? Why?

Post by LuckyR »

Charlemagne wrote: November 30th, 2022, 7:54 pm This is not the same as another thread here with a similar title

I can see why atheists would regard so many gods as impossible . I also regard them as impossible. What I'd like to know is whether they regard the God of Abraham as equally impossible, since that God has proven to have considerably more historical staying power.

Your thoughts?
The way that I interpret the word impossible is not merely that a thing is not real, but that it cannot be real in any and all possible circumstances. Thus it is not sufficient to prove something is not real to find it as impossible.

Thus for me, the Christian god is both not real and not impossible. Not unlike Santa, or magic.
"As usual... it depends."
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Only small children and maybe lunatics believe Santa Claus and magic are real.

There is substantially more evidence that some kind of God exists. Even Einstein thought so.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Niels Bohr, Physicist Nobel Prize

“Scripture and Nature agree in this, that all things were covered with water; how and when this aspect began, and how long it lasted, Nature says not, Scripture relates. That there was a watery fluid, however, at a time when animals and plants were not yet to be found, and that the fluid covered all things, is proved by the strata of the higher mountains, free from all heterogeneous material. And the form of these strata bears witness to the presence of a fluid, while the substance bears witness to the absence of heterogeneous bodies. But the similarity of matter and form in the strata of mountains which are different and distant from each other, proves that the fluid was universal.”

Genesis 1: 9: “Then God said: Let the water under the sky be gathered into a single basin, so that the dry land may appear. And so it happened: the water under the sky was gathered into its basin, and the dry land appeared.”
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Carl Sagan, Atheist Astronomer

“Ten or twenty billion years ago, something happened – the Big Bang, the event that began our universe…. In that titanic cosmic explosion, the universe began an expansion which has never ceased…. As space stretched, the matter and energy in the universe expanded with it and rapidly cooled. The radiation of the cosmic fireball, which, then as now, filled the universe, moved through the spectrum – from gamma rays to X-rays to ultraviolet light; through the rainbow colors of the visible spectrum; into the infrared and radio regions. The remnants of that fireball, the cosmic background radiation, emanating from all parts of the sky can be detected by radio telescopes today. In the early universe, space was brilliantly illuminated.”

Genesis 1:3 "Then God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light."

Robert Jastrow, Astronomer

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Hugh Ross, Astrophysicist

“Astronomers who do not draw theistic or deistic conclusions are becoming rare, and even the few dissenters hint that the tide is against them. Geoffrey Burbidge, of the University of California at San Diego, complains that his fellow astronomers are rushing off to join ‘the First Church of Christ of the Big Bang.’”
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Charlemagne wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:37 am Only small children and maybe lunatics believe Santa Claus and magic are real.

There is substantially more evidence that some kind of God exists. Even Einstein thought so.
Uummm... perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I believe that Santa and magic are not real, but not impossible. Just like the Christian god.

I don't know why you're describing the possibility of "some kind of God" in a thread you created specifically about the God of Abraham.
"As usual... it depends."
owlkinhoot
New Trial Member

Post by owlkinhoot »

God is so powerful that even the smartest joint-consciousness can be cracked with hitting on blindspots. If God was real, then he wouldn't necessarily appear with physical form, but use people inside Earth to poke fun at those who claim to enjoy power, because they haven't repented enough.

Philosophically speaking God is possible. And His powers are abundant. He moves like wind. And strikes like Tiger.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

LuckyR wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 2:55 am
Charlemagne wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:37 am Only small children and maybe lunatics believe Santa Claus and magic are real.

Uummm... perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I believe that Santa and magic are not real, but not impossible. Just like the Christian god.

I don't know why you're describing the possibility of "some kind of God" in a thread you created specifically about the God of Abraham.
Perhaps because it is necessary to establish first that the idea of God is not impossible before evaluating which of the world's major gods is likely to be the most possible?
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Melvin Calvin Biochemist, Nobel Prize

“As I try to discern the origin of that conviction, I seem to find it in a basic notion . . . enunciated first in the Western world by the ancient Hebrews: namely, that the universe is governed by a single God, and is not the product of the whims of many gods, each governing his own province according to his own laws. This monotheistic view seems to be the historical foundation for modern science.”
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Charlemagne wrote: November 30th, 2022, 7:54 pm This is not the same as another thread here with a similar title

Your thoughts?
Yes, impossible, in my view.
Given the state of the world multiple god seems more likely buy leave that to one side.

Since there is several versions of "The God of Abraham" please furnish the thread with your own understanding of this concept so that the thread does not run off is different directions chasing red herrings.
If we can start by agreeing on the main points about what exactly is meant by "The God of A", then the thread is going to make more sense..

So do you mean by TGOA?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

LuckyR wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:38 am

Your thoughts?
The way that I interpret the word impossible is not merely that a thing is not real, but that it cannot be real in any and all possible circumstances. Thus it is not sufficient to prove something is not real to find it as impossible.

Thus for me, the Christian god is both not real and not impossible. Not unlike Santa, or magic.
So you are implying here that Santa is not impossible.
Trouble is that you could mean anything by Santa.
If you insist that there is a being that can follow the night around the planet visiting every single home to give children a gift and manages to come down a chimney pot despite his obvious girth, then you would have to admit that is impossible within the constraints of physics.
So surely a clear definition of that is meant be TGodofA, might be a good place to start?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Thats a funny place to start.
Surely it would be easier to come down a chimney despite being fat to every child's house, than create the entire universe from nothing?

SO what do you mean by the God of Abraham?
I am pretty sure that einstein specifically and explicitly denies the existence of such a being.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Charlemagne wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:15 pm Hugh Ross, Astrophysicist

“Astronomers who do not draw theistic or deistic conclusions are becoming rare, and even the few dissenters hint that the tide is against them. Geoffrey Burbidge, of the University of California at San Diego, complains that his fellow astronomers are rushing off to join ‘the First Church of Christ of the Big Bang.’”
This is baseless.
Where's his data?
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Jews, Christians and Muslims believe in the same God of Abraham; and this causes us a profound dilemma. We each have the true religion. The greater struggle, is how do we get on with each other despite our differences? We are all created by the same God, and the same God hears all our prayers. But why has the same God given us different religions?

My feelings are, that we all think we have some kind of free will, so we need the freedom to choose from more than one way. Even if Christianity was the only religion, we could not all follow it in the same way. History has shown that we need / want thousands of Christian denominations to follow the same Jesus.

Differences in beliefs are not the problem, getting on with each other is. I truthfully believe that striving to live in peace with everyone brings us closer to God. Living in peace is a struggle; when the world is full of conflict.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream