The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Is God to be feared?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Post Reply
User avatar
hallam
Posts: 39
Joined: October 16th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Location: Philly

Post by hallam » October 20th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Belinda wrote:
However, listen to your heart and quite your mind/the world to the point where God can talk to you, and the love of God can be felt.
Wishful thinking costs nothing and can lull one into a soothed state of mind which feels pleasant. If there were a good God, however, he would rather you did not turn a blind eye to the suffering which is all around you.
The world is suffering and will always suffer. But it doesn't have to. Listing to God does sooth one's mind and helps ease suffering which is a main tent of Christianity. If more people listened to God, read the text, and followed what it says, there would be less suffering, more giving to the poor, more helping the sick, more supporting of each other, more achieved happiness, better interpersonal relationship and therefore less news.

Btw, just reading a newspaper and just watching the news to verify some vain attempt to disprove God is turning a blind eye to the worlds suffering as it turns that suffering into entertainment.

Rasheed Babatunde
Posts: 60
Joined: May 26th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Post by Rasheed Babatunde » October 26th, 2009, 5:34 pm

hallam wrote:
Belinda wrote: Wishful thinking costs nothing and can lull one into a soothed state of mind which feels pleasant. If there were a good God, however, he would rather you did not turn a blind eye to the suffering which is all around you.
The world is suffering and will always suffer. But it doesn't have to. Listing to God does sooth one's mind and helps ease suffering which is a main tent of Christianity. If more people listened to God, read the text, and followed what it says, there would be less suffering, more giving to the poor, more helping the sick, more supporting of each other, more achieved happiness, better interpersonal relationship and therefore less news.

Btw, just reading a newspaper and just watching the news to verify some vain attempt to disprove God is turning a blind eye to the worlds suffering as it turns that suffering into entertainment.
halam,
I think you have just epitomize the fear of God.
Listening to God means obeying Him; when you obey God, you have feared to do things that are contrary to His desires - you have listened to Him.

God does not and cannot turn a blind ear to the worlds suffering.
The 'world sufferings' are nothing but situations presented to teach the world what otherwise cannot be learnt.

barata
Posts: 21
Joined: November 9th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by barata » January 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm

Now you're talking!:)
As when you said your first word as a baby, as you continue to say it, you will mean 'I love you'!:)
To love some one, you have to love each piece of them!
So to love yourself, Boagie, you have to break you down ontologically in to every word-piece and love all those pieces.

eyesofastranger
Posts: 304
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 6:12 am
Favorite Philosopher: Albert Einstein
Location: Canada/China/Oz

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by eyesofastranger » January 15th, 2019, 7:44 pm

I have no fear of God and find the concept purely political. I did my best to get up to speed on this entire thread before posting and what I'm getting is those who find the God concept absurd need not post as they can not fear a thing they don't believe.
That is where I disagree. I have great fear in those that base their morality on their superiority. Islam has taken the brunt lately but for those that understand history Islam is by far the most peaceful.
The council of Nicaea, where the modern bible was conjured, had a very political objective. Take the many golden rules works by many philosophers and apply them to a master figure in the interest of having the masses believe in a master. This idea was not new just refined from the previous masters. I don't feel like looking them up but I remember the writing about a few of them. Mythros was the first virgin born master then I believe Isis then Osirus. The one before Jesus was Dyonisis I think. Slaves where much more accepting of their fate under the belief in a master.
The fear of God aspect was also built in. Don't fret about this life it's the next one your working for. The creator of the entire trillion, trillion galaxies is concerned with this speck and has deep psychological problems with human insecurities.
I have no intent to offend but this is my personal perspective on the origin of the imposed fear of God.
To the point I have fear of those that believe they are doing Gods will.
Maybe the mods will see me as being off topic again.

Darshan
Posts: 93
Joined: February 16th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by Darshan » January 18th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Earthellism and the book "The Life and Death of Planet Earth" have found common philosophy with the Diary of Anne Frank to answer should God be feared. God is Love and Love is God. God show never be feared but Hell must be feared. God compensates for all innocent pain, suffering and death but Hell punishes sadistic human devils who enjoy torturing and killing innocent children.
God is pure Love and creator and sustainer of Love and here on earthell God is not present here but God's Love is here. God resides in Heaven only and show not be feared, only Hell should be feared. All these concepts can prevent future genocides.

Steve3007
Posts: 5735
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes
Location: UK

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by Steve3007 » January 23rd, 2019, 6:31 am

Darshan wrote:God compensates for all innocent pain, suffering and death but Hell punishes sadistic human devils who enjoy torturing and killing innocent children.
In your view, is it only people who enjoy torturing children who go to Hell? If so, it seems to me that only a tiny proportion of people would actually go there. If not, who else will go there, in your view?
All these concepts can prevent future genocides.
Why just future ones? Since these concepts have existed for a very long time, what do you think it was that stopped them from preventing past and present genocides?

Darshan
Posts: 93
Joined: February 16th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by Darshan » April 7th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Earthellism says God is not to be feared. Never entering Heaven and spending Earth's eternity here on Hell is to be feared. Here on earthell, God's love is ever present but God is not. In WWII and based on the Diary of Ann Frank, many people who were being rounded up, tortured and murdered felt that God was punishing them. Some Jewish people felt they were being punished for their loss of absolute faith. God is not cruel or vindictive but pure love. What many refuse to accept is that God could not stop Hitler because God is not omnipotent on earthell. The events and genocide and nuclear bombings all of WWII were played in some degree based on Love and a form of Karma. The Karma was that those who killed out of hate, lost and those who killed out of love, won. Karma prevented Hitler from dying in the bombing that killed others near him. Instead Karma made Hitler see everything he preached as false and that Hitler was not the Nazi Jesus which Hitler thought he was. In the end Karma forced Hitler to put a gun to the side of his right temple and pull the trigger ending his life by suicide which was unthinkable for Jesus.

Karpel Tunnel
Posts: 629
Joined: February 16th, 2018, 11:28 am

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by Karpel Tunnel » April 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Darshan wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Earthellism says God is not to be feared. Never entering Heaven and spending Earth's eternity here on Hell is to be feared. Here on earthell, God's love is ever present but God is not. In WWII and based on the Diary of Ann Frank, many people who were being rounded up, tortured and murdered felt that God was punishing them. Some Jewish people felt they were being punished for their loss of absolute faith. God is not cruel or vindictive but pure love. What many refuse to accept is that God could not stop Hitler because God is not omnipotent on earthell. The events and genocide and nuclear bombings all of WWII were played in some degree based on Love and a form of Karma. The Karma was that those who killed out of hate, lost and those who killed out of love, won. Karma prevented Hitler from dying in the bombing that killed others near him. Instead Karma made Hitler see everything he preached as false and that Hitler was not the Nazi Jesus which Hitler thought he was. In the end Karma forced Hitler to put a gun to the side of his right temple and pull the trigger ending his life by suicide which was unthinkable for Jesus.
Jesus committed a much more painful suicide, by allowing himself to be tortured and then crucified.
WW2 also had people who killed out of love, getting killed - if you are referring to the Allies, huge numbers died, especially in Russia. And then of course you have the victims of genocide, people who died in bombings that affected civilians, including children, babies, and even fetuses in the womb. This would be children on all sides of the conflict. So if the idea is that in war it is really OK, becuase we can see that those who were loving won, there is a lot left to show this makes sense in any war and certainly in WW2. The kids in Nagasaki might disagree, even if they were children of some people who fought, theoretically out of hate. I am not sure the motives all fall down so neatly, and there have been other wars, like say WW1 where the clear good guy would be harder to posit.

I don't think Hilter saw and certainly did not realize that everything he preached was false. I am quite sure he would have seen his loss as a noble loss fighting countries unduely influenced by Jews or having selfish motives or decadent values. There are people vastly less stubborn than Hitler who hold their opinions against great evidence their whole lives.

Darshan
Posts: 93
Joined: February 16th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by Darshan » April 7th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Thank you for your response.
World War 2 was the greatest test for Mankind and Hitler was the closest thing to the anti-Christ because Hitler actually hated Jesus and Christianity as much if not more than Judaism. In that time being anti-sametic is like now being anti-immigrant. Hitler really wanted to destroy both Judaism and Christianity, but chose to destroy Judaism first because it was easier.

eyesofastranger
Posts: 304
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 6:12 am
Favorite Philosopher: Albert Einstein
Location: Canada/China/Oz

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by eyesofastranger » April 16th, 2019, 7:14 am

I have one beloved hobby in this world. TRUE HISTORY. As an important articulation in my pursuit of truth I have engaged in the understanding of philosophy, as a hobbyist.
WWll is historically too recent to establish facts. The saying history is written by the victors rings loud and true. To that end I have one suggestion to those reading this. In this information age the true financiers and back room deals will come to light within your children's lifetime. Historically faster than any previous conflict.
I suggest when your children ask what happened you answer with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you endeavor to follow the money and influence. Most of the financiers where Americans.

Post Reply