Is God to be feared?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
hallam

Post by hallam »

Belinda wrote:
However, listen to your heart and quite your mind/the world to the point where God can talk to you, and the love of God can be felt.
Wishful thinking costs nothing and can lull one into a soothed state of mind which feels pleasant. If there were a good God, however, he would rather you did not turn a blind eye to the suffering which is all around you.
The world is suffering and will always suffer. But it doesn't have to. Listing to God does sooth one's mind and helps ease suffering which is a main tent of Christianity. If more people listened to God, read the text, and followed what it says, there would be less suffering, more giving to the poor, more helping the sick, more supporting of each other, more achieved happiness, better interpersonal relationship and therefore less news.

Btw, just reading a newspaper and just watching the news to verify some vain attempt to disprove God is turning a blind eye to the worlds suffering as it turns that suffering into entertainment.
Rasheed Babatunde

Post by Rasheed Babatunde »

hallam wrote:
Belinda wrote: Wishful thinking costs nothing and can lull one into a soothed state of mind which feels pleasant. If there were a good God, however, he would rather you did not turn a blind eye to the suffering which is all around you.
The world is suffering and will always suffer. But it doesn't have to. Listing to God does sooth one's mind and helps ease suffering which is a main tent of Christianity. If more people listened to God, read the text, and followed what it says, there would be less suffering, more giving to the poor, more helping the sick, more supporting of each other, more achieved happiness, better interpersonal relationship and therefore less news.

Btw, just reading a newspaper and just watching the news to verify some vain attempt to disprove God is turning a blind eye to the worlds suffering as it turns that suffering into entertainment.
halam,
I think you have just epitomize the fear of God.
Listening to God means obeying Him; when you obey God, you have feared to do things that are contrary to His desires - you have listened to Him.

God does not and cannot turn a blind ear to the worlds suffering.
The 'world sufferings' are nothing but situations presented to teach the world what otherwise cannot be learnt.
barata

Re: Is God to be feared?

Post by barata »

Now you're talking!:)
As when you said your first word as a baby, as you continue to say it, you will mean 'I love you'!:)
To love some one, you have to love each piece of them!
So to love yourself, Boagie, you have to break you down ontologically in to every word-piece and love all those pieces.
eyesofastranger
Favorite Philosopher: Albert Einstein

Post by eyesofastranger »

I have no fear of God and find the concept purely political. I did my best to get up to speed on this entire thread before posting and what I'm getting is those who find the God concept absurd need not post as they can not fear a thing they don't believe.
That is where I disagree. I have great fear in those that base their morality on their superiority. Islam has taken the brunt lately but for those that understand history Islam is by far the most peaceful.
The council of Nicaea, where the modern bible was conjured, had a very political objective. Take the many golden rules works by many philosophers and apply them to a master figure in the interest of having the masses believe in a master. This idea was not new just refined from the previous masters. I don't feel like looking them up but I remember the writing about a few of them. Mythros was the first virgin born master then I believe Isis then Osirus. The one before Jesus was Dyonisis I think. Slaves where much more accepting of their fate under the belief in a master.
The fear of God aspect was also built in. Don't fret about this life it's the next one your working for. The creator of the entire trillion, trillion galaxies is concerned with this speck and has deep psychological problems with human insecurities.
I have no intent to offend but this is my personal perspective on the origin of the imposed fear of God.
To the point I have fear of those that believe they are doing Gods will.
Maybe the mods will see me as being off topic again.
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism and the book "The Life and Death of Planet Earth" have found common philosophy with the Diary of Anne Frank to answer should God be feared. God is Love and Love is God. God show never be feared but Hell must be feared. God compensates for all innocent pain, suffering and death but Hell punishes sadistic human devils who enjoy torturing and killing innocent children.
God is pure Love and creator and sustainer of Love and here on earthell God is not present here but God's Love is here. God resides in Heaven only and show not be feared, only Hell should be feared. All these concepts can prevent future genocides.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Darshan wrote:God compensates for all innocent pain, suffering and death but Hell punishes sadistic human devils who enjoy torturing and killing innocent children.
In your view, is it only people who enjoy torturing children who go to Hell? If so, it seems to me that only a tiny proportion of people would actually go there. If not, who else will go there, in your view?
All these concepts can prevent future genocides.
Why just future ones? Since these concepts have existed for a very long time, what do you think it was that stopped them from preventing past and present genocides?
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism says God is not to be feared. Never entering Heaven and spending Earth's eternity here on Hell is to be feared. Here on earthell, God's love is ever present but God is not. In WWII and based on the Diary of Ann Frank, many people who were being rounded up, tortured and murdered felt that God was punishing them. Some Jewish people felt they were being punished for their loss of absolute faith. God is not cruel or vindictive but pure love. What many refuse to accept is that God could not stop Hitler because God is not omnipotent on earthell. The events and genocide and nuclear bombings all of WWII were played in some degree based on Love and a form of Karma. The Karma was that those who killed out of hate, lost and those who killed out of love, won. Karma prevented Hitler from dying in the bombing that killed others near him. Instead Karma made Hitler see everything he preached as false and that Hitler was not the Nazi Jesus which Hitler thought he was. In the end Karma forced Hitler to put a gun to the side of his right temple and pull the trigger ending his life by suicide which was unthinkable for Jesus.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Darshan wrote: April 7th, 2019, 2:10 pm Earthellism says God is not to be feared. Never entering Heaven and spending Earth's eternity here on Hell is to be feared. Here on earthell, God's love is ever present but God is not. In WWII and based on the Diary of Ann Frank, many people who were being rounded up, tortured and murdered felt that God was punishing them. Some Jewish people felt they were being punished for their loss of absolute faith. God is not cruel or vindictive but pure love. What many refuse to accept is that God could not stop Hitler because God is not omnipotent on earthell. The events and genocide and nuclear bombings all of WWII were played in some degree based on Love and a form of Karma. The Karma was that those who killed out of hate, lost and those who killed out of love, won. Karma prevented Hitler from dying in the bombing that killed others near him. Instead Karma made Hitler see everything he preached as false and that Hitler was not the Nazi Jesus which Hitler thought he was. In the end Karma forced Hitler to put a gun to the side of his right temple and pull the trigger ending his life by suicide which was unthinkable for Jesus.
Jesus committed a much more painful suicide, by allowing himself to be tortured and then crucified.
WW2 also had people who killed out of love, getting killed - if you are referring to the Allies, huge numbers died, especially in Russia. And then of course you have the victims of genocide, people who died in bombings that affected civilians, including children, babies, and even fetuses in the womb. This would be children on all sides of the conflict. So if the idea is that in war it is really OK, becuase we can see that those who were loving won, there is a lot left to show this makes sense in any war and certainly in WW2. The kids in Nagasaki might disagree, even if they were children of some people who fought, theoretically out of hate. I am not sure the motives all fall down so neatly, and there have been other wars, like say WW1 where the clear good guy would be harder to posit.

I don't think Hilter saw and certainly did not realize that everything he preached was false. I am quite sure he would have seen his loss as a noble loss fighting countries unduely influenced by Jews or having selfish motives or decadent values. There are people vastly less stubborn than Hitler who hold their opinions against great evidence their whole lives.
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Thank you for your response.
World War 2 was the greatest test for Mankind and Hitler was the closest thing to the anti-Christ because Hitler actually hated Jesus and Christianity as much if not more than Judaism. In that time being anti-sametic is like now being anti-immigrant. Hitler really wanted to destroy both Judaism and Christianity, but chose to destroy Judaism first because it was easier.
eyesofastranger
Favorite Philosopher: Albert Einstein

Post by eyesofastranger »

I have one beloved hobby in this world. TRUE HISTORY. As an important articulation in my pursuit of truth I have engaged in the understanding of philosophy, as a hobbyist.
WWll is historically too recent to establish facts. The saying history is written by the victors rings loud and true. To that end I have one suggestion to those reading this. In this information age the true financiers and back room deals will come to light within your children's lifetime. Historically faster than any previous conflict.
I suggest when your children ask what happened you answer with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you endeavor to follow the money and influence. Most of the financiers where Americans.
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism says God is pure love and should not be feared. This question is an effort to solve the problem of evil. Religious leaders here on earthell try to convince us that God is here. If God is here than acts of evil may be due to God not stopping them or even God causes them. None of that is true since God is not here. God is in Heaven and not here on earthell and cannot stop acts of evil or accidents that kill innocent human being by human devils. Karma not God is to be feared since Karma is what is the common thread here on earthell. Karma punishes human beings for bad and evil behavior. God cries 2 oceans of tears for our innocent suffering which God cannot prevent.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Darshan wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 12:05 am Earthellism says God is pure love and should not be feared. This question is an effort to solve the problem of evil. Religious leaders here on earthell try to convince us that God is here. If God is here than acts of evil may be due to God not stopping them or even God causes them. None of that is true since God is not here. God is in Heaven and not here on earthell and cannot stop acts of evil or accidents that kill innocent human being by human devils. Karma not God is to be feared since Karma is what is the common thread here on earthell. Karma punishes human beings for bad and evil behavior. God cries 2 oceans of tears for our innocent suffering which God cannot prevent.
And other -isms say other things. So what? Dogma 1 vs dogma 2 vs 3 etc to the thousands. The teachings of church leaders have more to do with the office politics and career aspirations of said leaders than anything an omnipotent being would logically give a damn about.
"As usual... it depends."
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism answers is God to be feared? No, God is Love and Love is God. Karma is to be feared and being damned to earthell is to be feared.
God is not here but is in Heaven. God's love is here and Karma is in play here on earthell. God created Karma to reward goodness and punish evil.
Human devils are to be feared here on earthell. Human devils chose not to believe in God and not believe in Hell and not believe in that all human beings have a soul. Karma clearly played a major role in the US Presidential election in 2016 and 2020. Hillary Clinton had negative Karma in 2016 and suffered a catastrophic loss. In 2020 Donald Trump had negative Karma and lost to Joe Biden who had positive Karma. Fear Karma, not God.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream