Is God to be feared?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
boagie

Post by boagie »

ape wrote:Dangerous people are those who hate and disrespect dangerous people and so kill their Love and Respect for dangerous people, and so, having killed the Love & Respect that makes life worth living, it is no big leap for them to also take the life of others and kill those dangerous people.

Because Love loves and respects each word and its opposites, Love is the MOM: the Mother of metaphors which helps us read ANY book well.
So it is those, like Boagie, who hate and disrespect others for their beliefs who are unwittingly encouraging the very literal mindless interpretation of the bible that they condemn!

For Boagie to disrespect and hate believers and what they believe is the same willful moronic state he hates and disrespects in others and that is just a sick and unhealthy condition of mind.

There is endless of the Wisdom of Unconditional Love & Respect for all believers and nonbelievers, for atheists and theists found in the bible that is also found in a trillion other places outside of the Bible since the Bible loves and respects all people and all other states and all conditions at all times in and out of the Bible.
Philippians 4:11-13.

The literal unthinking and mindless condition of Boagie who disrespects and hates others not of his belief is the same fundamentalist condition of mind as those Islamic or atheistic terrorist who hates non-muslims and theists, which means that Disrespect & Hatred is the army re-invading the world.

The state of mind of an individual that can willingly accept the absurd belief that it is ok to hate and disrespect others and their beliefs is the same across the board: that Loveless and Hate-filled man is no less a horde and no different from any Christian who also hates and disrespects those who hate and disrespect xtians and muslims or whoever.

What I can tell you, my good man Boagie, is that a new day has arrived, and you with your religion of Hate and Disrespect for yourself and others, and others with their religion are given 100% due Love and Respect across the board.

So, Boagie, say that you believe something absurd and mindless today like you do not love and respect but hate and disrespect those who believe different to you, and we who are in Love will still love and respect you even as we call you on it in Love and Respect and remind you that the your right to disrespect and hate others is just the right to be wrong and in error....like this:

If there be any who would disturb this union of pure Love & Respect, let them stand as massive monuments to the extent to which the error of belief in Hate & Disrespect for self and others may be tolerated wherever the Reason & Religion of Unconditional Love & Respect is left free to combat that Error of Hate and Disrespect for self as others and for others as self.
With thanx to Tom Jefferson.

"Our minds and hearts are free to believe everything or nothing at all, - and it is our duty to protect and perpetuate this sacred culture of freedom."
Tom Jefferson

Zeus be IN LOVE with you as you are in Love with Zeus!:)
That's in the Bible too!:) :

1 John 4:
16And we have known and believed the Love that God hath to us.
God is Love;
and he that dwelleth in Love [with God] dwelleth in God,
and God [that dwells in Love dwells] in [Love with] him.

qed.
This is the original
Faith

Post by Faith »

Boagie, (sorry if I got the name wrong)
I do not agree with your post, ape is personally attacking you. We come on these forums to explore ideas and find truth,knowing that we will encounter opposition. By joining such a group we make a statement that we are strong enough and tolerant eno0ugh to consider other's ideas. If what ape said is true, than you should thank him. If what he said was false then you being a learned man should identify it as false. there is no need to take personal offense. in fact there is satisfaction in other's blatent stupidity.... sadly.

But I have to agree with ape on one thing.. that is, if you are so eager to dimiss and literally "get rid" (via means of proctor of other force in real life) of someone who disagrees with your thoughts or offends you, then you ARE Dangerous.
boagie

Post by boagie »

Faith,

I have simply stated my views, as offensive is they might be, I am not entirely charmed by your views either but that is the name of the game. As to Ape's behaviour in his previous post, let the moderators decide if he has not freely used personal attacks to try to force forward his own beliefs.

For all his holy babble the hatred seemed really intense. I might say, your own reaction seems more reasonable. We still do not agree but, its the ideas that are probmatic not the persons.
Last edited by boagie on August 17th, 2009, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Boagie-I would also like to know what makes my beliefs so unfounded, and what makes yours founded?

From what I've gathered your beleifs lie nowhere in the realm of "religion" as it concerns a higher power, which is what this specific topic is supposed to be about.

If your beliefs are strongly anti-religious, and all you have to offer this forum is, "your stupid, there is no god, there's no point to discuss this because it's all fake, religion is obsolete", then what are you doing here?!

Your message has been heard and if you have nothing else to offer, please stop interupting. If, on the other hand you want to present an inteligent argument on why God is fake then be my guest, but please post it on the "Why God is fake forum category" and send me a link.
boagie

Post by boagie »

Faith wrote:Boagie-I would also like to know what makes my beliefs so unfounded, and what makes yours founded?

From what I've gathered your beleifs lie nowhere in the realm of "religion" as it concerns a higher power, which is what this specific topic is supposed to be about.

If your beliefs are strongly anti-religious, and all you have to offer this forum is, "your stupid, there is no god, there's no point to discuss this because it's all fake, religion is obsolete", then what are you doing here?!
Your message has been heard and if you have nothing else to offer, please stop interupting. If, on the other hand you want to present an inteligent argument on why God is fake then be my guest, but please post it on the "Why God is fake forum category" and send me a link.
Faith :)

I have obviously spoken to soon about your behaviour being greatly different than your friend in arms, still sounds pretty personal to me. Religion will never not be, the question is, is an iron age religion what is needed to move into the future, in two thousand years Christianity has absorbed no new knowledge, some still don't want to give up on the flat earth policy. God/Allah/Krishna/ect,ect are metaphors for the mystery of our being and our being in the world, we do not know our origins other than to say we are products of the cosmos. Believers like people in general like to have everybody agree with them------its nice ain't it! The problems with believers arises when they with their literal interpretion of a two thousand year old book wish to interpret the world's political scene through this, and enforce itself upon the world, this is where their unfounded ideas of a simplistic god are dangerous. That is enough for now!! As to wanting me to go away, it ain't your ballgame Faith, and I am going to keep on pitching whether you like it or not.

A god that is conjured by small minds is a small god, small gods are always to be feared. Boagie
Faith

Post by Faith »

And how you calling my mind "small" isn't personal I'd like to know.

As for my is an "iron age" nor being what is "needed to move into the future", I honestly don't care what is needed or how old it is. I care about the truth.

I sincerely apologize for doing the exact same thing I accused you of doing (which was trying to get rid of you)

As I posted I knew I was making a contordicting fool of myself. I understand the importance of all perspectives, and most importantly the role of the antagonist (i appreciate and love you :)

Yes I to would like to know all the intricacies of what I believe and know how stupid and irrational I am considered to the rest of the world (mainly the learned community)But... the fact rests when I stop and think, take my eyes of the computer, it is absolutely impossible for me to deny God. He is just there.
boagie

Post by boagie »

"Faith"]And how you calling my mind "small" isn't personal I'd like to know." quote

Is this a group characteristic? I did not call you small minded, though you are free to identify yourself with that category. Read ever so closely, small minds conjure small gods, small god are always to be feared. First you have identified yourself as small minded and your god as small in order to take offense--good grief!

"As for my is an "iron age" nor being what is "needed to move into the future", I honestly don't care what is needed or how old it is. I care about the truth." quote

And what is the truth Stanley? Your imaginary friends are realer than other peoples imaginary friends?

"I sincerely apologize for doing the exact same thing I accused you of doing (which was trying to get rid of you)" quote

apology accepted.

As I posted I knew I was making a contordicting fool of myself. I understand the importance of all perspectives, and most importantly the role of the antagonist (i appreciate and love you :)

"Yes I to would like to know all the intricacies of what I believe and know how stupid and irrational I am considered to the rest of the world (mainly the learned community)But... the fact rests when I stop and think, take my eyes of the computer, it is absolutely impossible for me to deny God. He is just there.[/quote]

Sitting on your computer, is it a Dell? Well believing is simplier than reading all them difficult books isn't it! If you have an intutive sense, with nothing to back it up with logically then it would be best to keep it within the inner circle of a congregation rather than making a public display of what you cannot support. ZEUS BE WITH YOU!
ape

Post by ape »

ATTENTION MODERATORS

Note to moderators, please do look at Boagie's post below. I believe it warrants NO examination even though he WITH DISRESPECT --which is another word for HATE--attacks people like me and others as dangerous people,
killers,
moronic,
mindless,
unthinking,
not healthy,
fundamentalist,
terrorist,
absurd,
part of a horde.

The reason Boagie's post warrants NO examination is simply because I love myself as dangerous and undangerous and as all the words above, and so love & respect him as all those words as myself, --it does take one to know one!-- and so I can with Love & Respect take Boagie's attacks and insults and turn them into Big Macs and results!:)

No where have I stated that I hate anyone or disrespect any believer even with the belief of disrespecting, which is another word for hating, any belief....while Boagie says that he does DISRESPECT such as he calls people like me.
In fact, to hate or disrespect myself or anyone is my big NO NO!
It is just that I do hate and disrespect ONLY the unfounded belief of Hate & Disrespect for any belief and for any dangerous believer and for any believer period, while loving and respecting a disrespector and hater like Boagie.

Boagie has not gained access to my ignore list since his arrival here, and that does not deter him in the least!:) If his is not personal attack, I do not know what is, but no problem: I can handle any personal attacks with Love and Respect for myself, the attack and the attacker.

There is no difference in addressing the ideas of an individual from addressing the character of the individual....with one exception. You can not tell me, laddies, that Boagie has not taken it to the personal level--but his attacks are automatic since he can't attack my personal ideas without attacking me nor attack me without attacking my ideas. The original copy of Boagie's work is below, unaltered.
boagie wrote: Faith

Dangerous people would find lack of respect for their unfounded beliefs disgusting, that is what makes them dangerous, believe as I believe or I shall kill you.

A literal interpretation of the bible is mindless, it is a willful moronic state and that is just not a healthy conditon. There is not a great deal of wisdom found in the bible that is not found in a thousand other places. The unthinking conditon of the fundamentalist is the same condition as these Islamic terrorist, Islam is a invading army in the west of mindless subjects, that is what the danger is. The state of mind of an individual that can willingly accept the absurd is the same across the board do you not see, the mindless Islamic horde is not different than the mindless Christian horde. What can I tell you my good man, a new day has arrived and religion is nolonger given undue respect across the board, say something absurd today, and someone is likely to call you on it. Zeus be with you!
Last edited by ape on August 17th, 2009, 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ape

Post by ape »

Faith wrote:Boagie, (sorry if I got the name wrong)
I do not agree with your post, ape is personally attacking you. We come on these forums to explore ideas and find truth,knowing that we will encounter opposition. By joining such a group we make a statement that we are strong enough and tolerant eno0ugh to consider other's ideas. If what ape said is true, than you should thank him. If what he said was false then you being a learned man should identify it as false. there is no need to take personal offense. in fact there is satisfaction in other's blatent stupidity.... sadly.

But I have to agree with ape on one thing.. that is, if you are so eager to dimiss and literally "get rid" (via means of proctor of other force in real life) of someone who disagrees with your thoughts or offends you, then you ARE Dangerous.
Exactly, Faith!;)

As long as you love and respect yourself as dangerous, you can call Boagie dangerous since you call him so in Love and Respect, to show him how to call others and you dangerous: with Love and Respect!

Boagie is not really dangerous himself: only the attitude of Disrespect & Hate for himself is.

He is a fine laddie otherwise!:)
ape

Post by ape »

boagie wrote:Faith,

I have simply stated my views, as offensive is they might be, I am not entirely charmed by your views either but that is the name of the game. As to Ape's behaviour in his previous post, let the moderators decide if he has not freely used personal attacks to try to force forward his own beliefs.

For all his holy babble the hatred seemed really intense. I might say, your own reaction seems more reasonable. We still do not agree but, its the ideas that are probmatic not the persons.
You just wish I wd disrespect and hate you back to re-justify your prior Hate and Disrespect for yourself and others and God and me.
Sorry, laddie!
That's just wishful thinking!
I wd prefer you to daydream--but you need Love and Respect for all believers and all beliefs--except one--to do that!:)

You can't stop me from loving and respecting you!
I love and respect you 100% upfront like God loves and respects you too as himself, and there is nothing, not one thing you can do to stop me from loving and respect you!:)
Please listen to The King of Rock with L&R as if God were singing in Love and in Respect to you::)
I can't stop loving you--Elvis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5D41WNYKE4
Last edited by ape on August 17th, 2009, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juice

Post by Juice »

The topic of the thread is "Is God to be feared" where in the question supposes that God exists. And any resulting replies should also suppose that God exists. Whether one believes or does not believe in any existence of God or gods then as a philosophic discourse all respondents should reply accordingly as a matter of philosophic intelligence.

Those who reply in any other manner which does not address the original inquiry then are replying off topic and should either not post in this thread or create another thread in which those concerns can be debated.

The difficulty for those who do not advocate a belief in God or deny any belief in God is that they essentially have nothing to debate since how can something which does not exist be debated. So I understand the need by those to intrude into any intellectual discourse concerning God by arguing that the discussion cannot not possible exist by contemplating a nonexistent phenomenon.

God is only feared by those who fear his existence.

As small minded as I need to be to create and divine a purpose and use for iron from its first use to its present uses I only find it a danger to those fearful of fire.
When everyone looks to better their own future then the future will be better for everyone.

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
boagie

Post by boagie »

WHERE O' WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS? I WILL ABIDE BY THE DISCISON OF A MODERATOR. I WILL NOT GET INVOLVED IN HOLY HATERED. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT IDEAS GUYS AND ABOUT THE WISDOM OF BELIEVING IN THEM.
ape

Post by ape »

Juice wrote:The topic of the thread is "Is God to be feared" where in the question supposes that God exists. And any resulting replies should also suppose that God exists. Whether one believes or does not believe in any existence of God or gods then as a philosophic discourse all respondents should reply accordingly as a matter of philosophic intelligence.

Those who reply in any other manner which does not address the original inquiry then are replying off topic and should either not post in this thread or create another thread in which those concerns can be debated.

The difficulty for those who do not advocate a belief in God or deny any belief in God is that they essentially have nothing to debate since how can something which does not exist be debated. So I understand the need by those to intrude into any intellectual discourse concerning God by arguing that the discussion cannot not possible exist by contemplating a nonexistent phenomenon.

God is only feared by those who fear his existence.

As small minded as I need to be to create and divine a purpose and use for iron from its first use to its present uses I only find it a danger to those fearful of fire.
Wisdom of Love and Respect from above!:)
Thank you, Juice!
boagie

Post by boagie »

God is a psychological condition, god is an idea, and as such he is fair game. If you people do not want to tolerate descent keep it in church. Its a pain in the ass to deal with people who believe they should not be questioned at a philosophy site.
ape

Post by ape »

boagie wrote:WHERE O' WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS? I WILL ABIDE BY THE DISCISON OF A MODERATOR. I WILL NOT GET INVOLVED IN HOLY HATERED. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT IDEAS GUYS AND ABOUT THE WISDOM OF BELIEVING IN THEM.
You are getting the idea, Boagie, seeing that you WILL NOT get involved with UNHOLY HATRED!:)
W-right-e on!:)
Now go for it all and please also don't get involved with ANY UNHOLY Disrespect nor ANY UNHOLY HATRED for yourself and so for no one else and for NO belief--which auto means you have to give up THAT UNHOLY DISRESPECT AND UNHOLY HATRED since it disses adn hates itself and all other beliefs and believers!

I am here to encourage you to do so so that you won't argue against yourself and your own belief.
Ok?

But if you do continue to spout off with your Unholy Disrespect and Unholy Hatred for any believer of any belief, be prepared to get called on it with Holy Love and Holy Respect whenever I think you should to stood up to with 100% Love & Respect.:)
It is clear to anyone that you started it with your Disrespect---which is a synonym for Hatred!
So rather than running to get the Mods involved, please take responsibility for a problem of your own making.

"But every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. We have called by different names brethren of the same principle. We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists. If there be any among us who would wish to dissolve this Union or to change its republican form, let them stand undisturbed as monuments of the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated where [the] reason [of Love] is left free to combat it."
Thomas Jefferson First Inaugural Address First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

I uphold your right to spew Disrespect and Hate for yourself and others ---which I disagree with-- because I also have the right to oppose you with Love and Respect.
"You will do me the justice to remember, that I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right makes himself a slave to his present opinion because he precludes himself the right of changing it." Thomas Paine
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire

I can't give you what right I don't have!
So too you don't have any right I don't have!
So please don't be self-disrespectful nor self-hating, then you won't be so disrespectful and hateful of others with whom you disagree.
Last edited by ape on August 17th, 2009, 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream