Is religion good even if it's false?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
LuckyR

Re: Is religion good even if it's false?

Post by LuckyR »

cosinus wrote: March 26th, 2021, 6:59 am I think so, especially in case of Christianity.

Large societies do not last when people aren't willing to sacrifice their own reputation and career for a greater cause.
They will lie to cover failure,
they will lie to cover lie,
they will only employ liars to cover lie,
they will try to control the narrative to cover lie,
they will try to control the media to cover lie,
they will even murder to cover lie,
they will denounce the church to cover lie,
they will cancel to cover lie,
until the whole world is covered in an alternative reality full of corruption.
And evil becomes good and good becomes evil.
We see it happen right now within western civilization.

Communism of the last century proofs my point.
It's a good example of what happens when Religions are suppressed.

Any questions?
Huh? Please give an example of a "large society" without a "greater cause".

Your commentary implies some societies are lie-free, I am unaware of any.

Communism was/is just one flavor of totalitarianism, which used to be ubiquitous. Only a simpleton would be unaware of theocratic totalitarian states.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

philoreaderguy wrote: March 17th, 2007, 11:29 am I recently was told by someone that religion is a good thing even if it is false. He said that it's good because it brings people together and teaches morality. Is this true?

It can be true, but it isn't always, sadly. It does bring people together, and it does teach morality, but not all non-members of that religion necessarily agree that the morality is a good or acceptable one. But that's no criticism of religion, any morality will seem wrong to some.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

You have a basic feeling that God and religion is real. Go with that. Instead of cluttering your mind with all that man has to offer as far as religions and answers, seek out Him. Read, read, read. The Bible, Christian literature, books written by Biblical scholars, pastors, evangelists, and participate in some sort of Bible study - online, in person, whatever. You have to seek Him to find your answers to your questions. Once you do, you won't have to ask anyone if the religion is good even if you think it's false. You will have your own personal relationship with The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. Every day you will battle the seeds of doubt from every direction....it's getting really tough out here. But if you stand firm and tall in Christ your reward is eternal salvation.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Fellowmater wrote: April 12th, 2021, 5:22 am You have a basic feeling that God and religion is real. Go with that. Instead of cluttering your mind with all that man has to offer as far as religions and answers, seek out Him. Read, read, read. The Bible, Christian literature, books written by Biblical scholars, pastors, evangelists, and participate in some sort of Bible study - online, in person, whatever. You have to seek Him to find your answers to your questions. Once you do, you won't have to ask anyone if the religion is good even if you think it's false. You will have your own personal relationship with The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. Every day you will battle the seeds of doubt from every direction....it's getting really tough out here. But if you stand firm and tall in Christ your reward is eternal salvation.
Good point, christianity is down 12% in the last decade in the US (most of the drop in protestantism, less so for catholicism), meanwhile the group with the largest gain is "no religious affiliation", up 9%.

Why do you think that is?
"As usual... it depends."
CalebB
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Sam Harris

Post by CalebB »

Religion is good because most religions teach that people should love each other and discourage selfishness.
The problem comes when religious beliefs offend people's intelligence when scientific discoveries reveal new information.
Then it becomes a matter of deciding whether you are going to follow the truth about reality or remain in a system because it promotes good morals on a whole.
If religion limits the progress of the consciousness of humanity, then I think it's best for the old systems to be left behind. The teachings don't have to be abandoned, because there is a lot of wisdom to be found in them. However people shouldn't be afraid to be openminded about the views of others and think critically about their values.
Slavedevice

Post by Slavedevice »

Religion can be Great or Horrible. I m a pagan. Pagans are so very liberal and can very easily accept nature and CHANGE! It’s when religion has such fixed dogma that it can not CHANGE with TIME that’s really bad. Paganism gives us faith in afterlife. But we can accept that things change and that spirituality doesn’t exist in a book of laws written thousand years ago
Slavedevice

Post by Slavedevice »

Religion can good or it can be really bad (whether it’s true or myth). I think that it’s really really hard for man to exist without a religion. Man needs to fulfill a moral hole in his spirit and man is the first animal to contemplate life after death. Religion can give him a purpose and fill in this hole. But, a tyrant (like the Abrahamic faith) can use it to control people.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Slavedevice wrote:Religion can good or it can be really bad (whether it’s true or myth). I think that it’s really really hard for man to exist without a religion. Man needs to fulfill a moral hole in his spirit and man is the first animal to contemplate life after death. Religion can give him a purpose and fill in this hole. But, a tyrant (like the Abrahamic faith) can use it to control people.
I don't know your background, but in my experience people tend to take the view that it's difficult to live without some form of religion if they live in an environment in which religion plays a large role for most people they know (even if they're not religious themselves). I think it's always very difficult to imagine oneself out of an environment in which one has always lived. It's easy to assume that whatever is ubiquitous in that environment must be essential to life. Aside from being a general backdrop to western culture, I've never had religion in my life. Nobody in my currently alive immediate family is religious and, as far as I know, almost nobody that I know as a friend or work colleague is religious. That's not to say that they're anti-religious. It's just not part of life, except as historical interest. And it really isn't a big deal. You really don't need religion, or anything like it, to fill any kind of hole or to give your life meaning. For my part, the meaning in my life comes largely from people I love and things I enjoy doing and learning about.

I think this is one reason why a particular kind of theist (the kind that tends to come to places like this) often tells atheists that their disbelief in this particular thing constitutes a kind of religion itself. It seems that they just can't imagine what it's like for religion not to matter one way or the other. Perhaps it's the same with other things that are ubiquitous in the environments in which we live. If it's ever-present then (we assume) it must be essential.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Slavedevice wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:02 am Religion can good or it can be really bad (whether it’s true or myth). I think that it’s really really hard for man to exist without a religion. Man needs to fulfill a moral hole in his spirit and man is the first animal to contemplate life after death. Religion can give him a purpose and fill in this hole. But, a tyrant (like the Abrahamic faith) can use it to control people.
"The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people [bold added].

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo."
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Slavedevice

Post by Slavedevice »

Lucanor- what your whole three paragraphs are talking about is Semetic/Abrahamic religion! It’s not an accurate dissertation of Non-Abrahamic religion at all.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Slavedevice wrote: October 26th, 2021, 6:57 am Lucanor- what your whole three paragraphs are talking about is Semetic/Abrahamic religion! It’s not an accurate dissertation of Non-Abrahamic religion at all.
There's no mention in it of particular features of Abrahamic religions, but since you bring it up: what's in other religions that will not apply to that description?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Slavedevice

Post by Slavedevice »

Non Abrahamic Religion doesn’t promulgate SUFFERING. It’s Abrahamic religion that promulgated suffering and guilt. In my religion man is truly the maker of his own destiny. Afterlife is the realm of the diety
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

philoreaderguy wrote: March 17th, 2007, 11:29 am I recently was told by someone that religion is a good thing even if it is false. He said that it's good because it brings people together and teaches morality. Is this true? Is religion good for people even if it isn't false?
Here's some people being "brought together".
[censored image of ISIS gang.]

And they are brought together for NO OTHER REASON but religion
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2021, 4:52 pm
philoreaderguy wrote: March 17th, 2007, 11:29 am I recently was told by someone that religion is a good thing even if it is false. He said that it's good because it brings people together and teaches morality. Is this true? Is religion good for people even if it isn't false?
Here's some people being "brought together".
[censored image of ISIS gang.]

And they are brought together for NO OTHER REASON but religion
Religions are not simple constructs but are composed of myths, ritual practices, and codified moralities. ISIS likes violence, and violence itself has been claimed to be a ritual that psychologically binds together the members of the group who share in it.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:And they are brought together for NO OTHER REASON but religion
I'd say they're brought together by the strong human desire to belong to something - to be part of a strongly united tribe - of which the religion, in that particular case, is an expression. When people went to join what they thought was going to be an Islamic State, stretching across Syria and Iraq and ignoring such alien impositions as the Sykes–Picot line, they went to belong.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream