Are we all born an Atheist?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Felix

Re: Are we all born an Atheist?

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith: "I now think that if a philosopher is going to describe what happens at the extreme, where a philosophy is carried to its logical conclusion, then he is going to have to resort to poetry."

That is precisely the conclusion that Heidegger reached, and that he extrapolated on in his later works. Te limits of language mirror the limits of reason.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: June 21st, 2019, 3:21 pm GaryLouisSmith: "I now think that if a philosopher is going to describe what happens at the extreme, where a philosophy is carried to its logical conclusion, then he is going to have to resort to poetry."

That is precisely the conclusion that Heidegger reached, and that he extrapolated on in his later works. Te limits of language mirror the limits of reason.
Yes, and I sometimes like to read his writing. I really don't want to sleep in the same bed with him, though, because the poetic philosophy he comes up with is so very different from mine. What do you think of Heidegger and poetic philosophy? Do you have anything to say about Baudelaire and Decadence?
Felix

Post by Felix »

"I really don't want to sleep in the same bed with him, though."

Supposedly Heidegger was a hermit at that point in his life, so his bed was only wide enough for one anyway.

Not all that familiar with Baudelaire but Rimbaud appears to have courted the delphic muse.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: June 21st, 2019, 10:54 pm "I really don't want to sleep in the same bed with him, though."

Supposedly Heidegger was a hermit at that point in his life, so his bed was only wide enough for one anyway.

Not all that familiar with Baudelaire but Rimbaud appears to have courted the delphic muse.
I'm still wondering where you stand on all this. What is your philosophy? I know that's a crazy question, but I think you know what I mean.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: June 21st, 2019, 10:54 pm "I really don't want to sleep in the same bed with him, though."

Ah, the Delphic muse, it was a serpent, a python, that lived in a sacred spring at Delphi in a temple dedicated to Apollo. At times it would appear as a beautiful young girl. That was Lolita who seduced Humbert Humbert at a motel in the American Midwest. She is also known as Melusina, half girl, half serpent. You can see her on the side of a Starbucks cup of coffee. Scary. To fall for that leaves you only a choice between being a criminal or a psychopath. That is poetry.
Felix

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith: "What is your philosophy?"

Striving to understand and live life to the fullest. As you've pointed out, reason can only take one so far in that quest, and when we try to stretch it's usefulness beyond that point, it can be very destructive. Alan Watts called it "attempting to make the finite infinite."
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 3:02 pm GaryLouisSmith: "What is your philosophy?"

Striving to understand and live life to the fullest. As you've pointed out, reason can only take one so far in that quest, and when we try to stretch it's usefulness beyond that point, it can be very destructive. Alan Watts called it "attempting to make the finite infinite."
I see. I personally am not much interested in life or my life. I am obsessed with traditional philosophical questions of ontology and metaphysics. I see a god in there and I want to get at that. My advice to you is to stay away from philosophy. It will drive you mad. Your friends will not understand you and you will fail to pay attention to the things in you life that you morally should. Good luck finding what is important for you - it ain't metaphysics.
Felix

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith: "I am obsessed with traditional philosophical questions of ontology and metaphysics. I see a god in there and I want to get at that."

Have you seen it? If you'd actually seen the diety, the path to it would be visible, at least the initial steps on it would be.

When I said I was seeking to understand life, I did not mean material existence - my language is not always precise.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 4:16 am GaryLouisSmith: "I am obsessed with traditional philosophical questions of ontology and metaphysics. I see a god in there and I want to get at that."

Have you seen it? If you'd actually seen the diety, the path to it would be visible, at least the initial steps on it would be.

When I said I was seeking to understand life, I did not mean material existence - my language is not always precise.
Yes, I've seen him. But ...

Jalal al-Din Rumi
translated by Arberry
Go forth, my comrades, draw along our beloved, at last bring to me the fugitive idol; with sweet melodies and golden pretexts draw to the house that moon sweet of presence. And if he promises, "I will come in another moment," all his promises are but cunning to beguile you. He possesses a flaming breath, by enchantment and wizardry knotting the water and tying up the air. When in blessedness and joy my darling enters, sit you down and behold the marvels of God! When his beauty shines forth, what shall be the beauty of the comely ones? For his sun-bright face extinguishes all lamps. Go, fleet-paced heart, to Yemen, to my heart's beloved, convey my greetings and service to that ruby beyond price.

These words are so true. "... if he promises, "I will come in another moment," all his promises are but cunning to beguile you. He possesses a flaming breath, by enchantment and wizardry knotting the water and tying up the air." So the road to his house is not always so easy to travel.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 12:14 am

Ah, the Delphic muse, it was a serpent, a python, that lived in a sacred spring at Delphi in a temple dedicated to Apollo. At times it would appear as a beautiful young girl. That was Lolita who seduced Humbert Humbert at a motel in the American Midwest. She is also known as Melusina, half girl, half serpent. You can see her on the side of a Starbucks cup of coffee. Scary. To fall for that leaves you only a choice between being a criminal or a psychopath. That is poetry.
Conflation of several things here. But gives great insight into your Oedipus complex!
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 12:58 pm

Conflation of several things here. But gives great insight into your Oedipus complex!
If you are a psychoanalyst, please continue. I have great respect for Freud, though I usually think psychology is a pseudo-science.
Newme

Post by Newme »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:26 am
Newme wrote: June 19th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Actually, the definition of delusion fits those who deny anatomical facts, as some do when claiming a man dressed as a woman is a woman, or being in denial about consequences of anal sex - like anal fissures, colon rupture and bacterial infection.

Homosexual propaganda is anti-truth, thus delusional. And what’s funny is they call others “homophobic or haters” for stating facts they fear or hate.
Try to tell that to the many species that have already been identified as having homosexual behavior,
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... l_behavior]...

Why are you so scared? Are you in the closet. They say most people have some gay feelings some of the time. Maybe it is time for you to come out of your closet?
How degrading to compare people with homosexual disorder with animals. Some animals eat their young - does that make it ok for humans? How would you like to be compared to animals - to try to justify your behavior? Quite disrespectful.

Maybe you ought to review logical fallacies ( BASIC philosophy) before you attempt your ad hominem attacks and other logical fallacies.

Whenever people resort to ad hominem attacks, it’s usually because they can’t refute facts... like you can’t refute anatomical and reproductive facts, so you try to put me down. In cases where people are uneducated about logical fallacies - that works. But on this forum, when more informed people read such obvious fallacies, it just makes the person committing them look ignorant.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Newme wrote: July 16th, 2019, 5:55 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:26 am

Try to tell that to the many species that have already been identified as having homosexual behavior,
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... l_behavior]...

Why are you so scared? Are you in the closet. They say most people have some gay feelings some of the time. Maybe it is time for you to come out of your closet?
How degrading to compare people with homosexual disorder with animals. Some animals eat their young - does that make it ok for humans? How would you like to be compared to animals - to try to justify your behavior? Quite disrespectful.

Maybe you ought to review logical fallacies ( BASIC philosophy) before you attempt your ad hominem attacks and other logical fallacies.

Whenever people resort to ad hominem attacks, it’s usually because they can’t refute facts... like you can’t refute anatomical and reproductive facts, so you try to put me down. In cases where people are uneducated about logical fallacies - that works. But on this forum, when more informed people read such obvious fallacies, it just makes the person committing them look ignorant.
How dare you call homosexuality a disorder! You've insulted millions of people at a stroke.
Take a look at the wiki entry and try to tell me that homosexuality is not completely NATURAL.
You are confusing a socially informed bigotry with the scientific reality that homosexuality is normal
You'd do well to think about the meaning of ad hominem yourself.
The more you protest the more obvious it becomes that you are in denial of your true feelings.
Newme

Post by Newme »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 16th, 2019, 7:08 pm
Newme wrote: July 16th, 2019, 5:55 pm

How dare you call homosexuality a disorder! You've insulted millions of people at a stroke.
Take a look at the wiki entry and try to tell me that homosexuality is not completely NATURAL.
You are confusing a socially informed bigotry with the scientific reality that homosexuality is normal
The more you protest the more obvious it becomes that you are in denial of your true feelings.
The American Psychological Association rightly labeled attraction to the same gender (where parts don’t fit) a disorder - a parting from nature... dis-order. Only when homosexual fanatics stormed into their meetings and applied other pressure, did the APA cave to change the facts to match their deception. No credible scientific studies were done to make this change - just the delusional mob-like beliefs of people with sexual disorders.

Not only is it blatantly obvious that anatomically, homosexuality is a disorder, but also statistically, homosexual behavior is harmful. Just read about it yourself, since you seem to want to punish me for sharing facts you don’t like...

The American Psychological Association originally defined homosexuality as a disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-II (DSM-II), then, was harassed into changing the definition. "Led by radicals like Franklin Kameny, pro-sodomy activists attacked psychiatrists across America, as Newsweek describes: “But even more than the government, it is the psychiatrists who have experienced the full rage of the homosexual activists. Over the past two years, gay-lib organizations have repeatedly disrupted medical meetings, and three months ago—in the movements most aggressive demonstration so far—a group of 30 militants broke into a meeting of the American Psychiatric Association in Washington, where they turned the staid proceedings into near chaos..."
https://www.scribd.com/doc/123568250/The-Born-Gay-Hoax

So, the definition of homosexuality was changed from being a disorder to being normalized, not because of scientific research, but as a political move by harassing homosexual lobbyists.

The truth found in undeniable statistics is that actions based on homosexual practice make it a disorder (state of confusion) and even one that causes suffering by such confusion:
  • 1. Homosexuality is not ever truly sex but involves fetishes, because sex involves the sexual organs of each, and homosexuality must resort to subsitutes... fetishes. (Fetish: any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation. ) Anal sex is such a fetish. Some fetishes cause no harm, but unfortunatley anal sex can cause anal fissures, anal cancer, colon rupture and bacterial infections.

2. According to the United States Center for Disease Control (US CDC), those with homosexual practices are many times more likely to contract STDs than heterosexuals.
    https://www.cdc.gov/msmhealth/STD.htm

3. According to the United States Center for Disease Control (US CDC), those with homosexual practices are many times more likely to contract AIDS than heterosexuals.
    https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/index.html

4. Also According to the United States Center for Disease Control (US CDC), those who engage in homosexual practices are more likely to have mental illness. Research also has found that, compared to other men, MSM are at increased risk of: Major depression during adolescence and adulthood; Bipolar disorder; and Generalized anxiety disorder during adolescence and adulthood. MSM are also at greater risk for other health threats that often occur in conjunction with mental health problems (i.e., co-morbidities). These include greater use of illegal drugs and a greater risk for suicide.

5. Most babies are born healthy, without disorders, including without homosexual preferences. At birth, our brains are only 25% developed. This makes us less intelligent at birth than many other mamals, however it ends up in our best interest because along with more caregiving support, we are better able to adapt to environmental influences. Under various circumstances, some such adaptations result in the development of homosexual fetishes. There is no such thing as a gay gene - as mentioned in the first link above.

Evidence shows that the development of homosexual practices are more linked to environmental influences than to biology. Science does not support the claim that homosexuality is genetic.. Even Homosexual Researchers Debunk ‘Born Gay’ Urban Legend ‪http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/724179/posts‬" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"1. No research has found provable biological or genetic differences between heterosexuals & homosexuals that weren't caused by their behavior. 2. In 2 large studies conducted... Homosexuals overwhelmingly believed their feelings and behavior were the result of social or environmental influences. (Note that the focus of homosexual fetishes is limited to select countries, globally.) 3. Older homosexuals often approach the young 4. Early homosexual experiences influence adult patters of behavior 5. Sexual conduct is influenced by cultural factors - esp. religious convictions 6. Many change their sexual preferences 7. There are many ex-homosexuals"
The homosexual herd is trying to push its way into the public - to make this disorder that statistically proves to be harmful, be accepted. Don't fall for it. Love people, not harmful behavior. IT IS CRUEL TO ENCOURAGE BEGINNING KNOWN TO HE HARMFUL.
  • "Tolerance applies to persons, but never to truth. Intolerance applies to truth, but never to persons. Tolerance applies to the erring; intolerance to the error." -F. Sheen
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Newme wrote: July 30th, 2019, 7:42 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 16th, 2019, 7:08 pm
The American Psychological Association rightly labeled attraction to the same gender (where parts don’t fit) a disorder - a parting from nature... dis-order.
Tell that to dolphins who butt **** other cetaceans of either sex. Not only homosexuality is natural but cross-species sex.

[/quote]

You are a dinosaur.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream