Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Are we all born an Atheist?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Jklint

Re: Are we all born an Atheist?

Post by Jklint » October 28th, 2018, 9:11 pm

I think that interpretation is far too simplistic. The great civilizations of the Middle East were not about to renounce their gods, in effect, surrendering them to a relatively unimportant one who invented a Rambo god of their own. The polytheistic gods were never in danger by the conception or invention of a single monstrosity of Jewish creation.

Apparent also is that the god of the Jews demonstrated an inferiority complex in the very first of ITS commandment, You shall have no other gods before me. Furthermore, the idea of a single god was not a new conception but polytheism was already firmly grounded among the ancients. The priests controlling the temples were not about to have that changed in favor of a single god. What would have been the purpose? Akhenaten tried it but the traditional gods returned upon his demise.

Still what remained from that experiment was a greater awareness in the potentiality of a single deity long before the Jews wrote their Bible which was written during the Babylonian Captivity and remained unique to the Jews until Christianity incorporated it as an extension of the NT many centuries later.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » October 28th, 2018, 11:02 pm

It's true that Middle Eastern cultures did not renounce their gods but the Romans, Greeks and Norse renounced theirs in favour of what was ultimately rationalised theism, and later on Africans, some Asians, Pacific Islanders and Americans similarly largely renounced theirs. Aside from the coercion, it seemed that many people were naturally attracted to monotheism over polytheism anyway.

Jklint

Post by Jklint » October 29th, 2018, 12:51 am

Greta wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 11:02 pm
It's true that Middle Eastern cultures did not renounce their gods but the Romans, Greeks and Norse renounced theirs in favour of what was ultimately rationalised theism, and later on Africans, some Asians, Pacific Islanders and Americans similarly largely renounced theirs. Aside from the coercion, it seemed that many people were naturally attracted to monotheism over polytheism anyway.
Well, we were talking about the Middle East prior to any Christian conceptions of theism when Yahweh was the only monolithic god. Those you mention were converted by Christians who chose Jesus to believe in against the beliefs of the Jews.

The Greeks and Romans, who copied the Greeks, long ceased to take their pantheon of gods seriously especially in its late days. It mostly served as a formality of order and tradition. But none of these conversions were bloodless. The Saxons, still rooted to their Nordic myths expressing the ago-old powers of nature, were forced to bend the knee by Charlemagne. They didn't voluntarily do so "in favor of". They did so because their very existence was at stake.

The history of conversion to monotheism whether Christian or Islamic, has been one of inquisitions, torture and horrendous bloodshed. One of the worst examples of that are the histories of Mexico and Peru.

SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy » November 3rd, 2018, 3:57 am

To believe in a common religion , is somehow like wearing a straightjacket in an invisible psychological way. It's a self entailed , border line therapy , with severe consequences for your social life.

ktz
Favorite Philosopher: right now it is Tim Wu

Post by ktz » November 10th, 2018, 7:11 am

Not sure if he's been mentioned already, but Andrew Newberg and Gene Hamer are a couple MDs who have written about the neurological basis for religion -- Newberg through brain scans, and Hamer indicating a "God gene". Interested parties can check out their books, and google them for some NPR and Atlantic articles.

Jklint

Post by Jklint » November 11th, 2018, 5:51 am

If there were such a gene or programming type, I imagine it could just as easily manifest itself as metaphysics as any overt religion requiring god or gods, in effect, more in the realm of philosophy than sanctioned scripture.

Amjadiqbal
New Trial Member

Read my views regarding your question

Post by Amjadiqbal » December 1st, 2018, 5:34 am

If one respects others fundamental rights no objection should be over his belief/no belief.
But i see a rubbish stalin who was an atheist laid down living people
& i see a rubbish Hitler who was a christian laid down living people too.

Houloucast was done not only against jews but christians vs christians,muslims vs muslims,muslims vs jews,muslims vs christians,atheists vs atheists is all there on pages of history.
Its not the atheism which misleads man nor its more religions do but few religions and few atheist are also there who corrupt the peaceful society.
I don't see a callibre or IQ can be measured by asking religion or no religion.

Important Point:

If few people are crazy that man is by birth an atheist..Listen me he is also by birth an animal,a super idiot and crying **** too.Its the environment,learning and tamed selection which makes him a proper man.

Being agnostic or being religious or being atheist has nothing to do with the word Humanity.
Thats all from my side.