If there is a God, why is there evil?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Felix

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Felix »

Pattern-chaser said: I am stunned that this old saw still merits discussion on forums like this one.
Not as shocking as someone actually commenting on the original topic of the thread. :wink: Welcome to the forum.

I presume the God being referenced is the Christian Omniscient/Omnipotent/Omnibenevolent diety. As you correctly point out, the latter attribute and/or one of the others is incompatible with material existence.

Understandably, most people have a problem worshipping a god who is fickle when it comes to good and evil. If He is truly omnibenevolent, then we must presume that he is not omnipotent or omniscient. If I had to pick one deficit, I'd go with non-omnipotent, because who wants an uniformed god?

His other potential alibi would be that he is concerned not with our physical health but with our metaphysical health, i.e., the welfare and progress of our immaterial soul, but that leaves us with the riddle of the nature and purpose of this spiritual "progress."
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 8:15 pm
Pattern-chaser said: I am stunned that this old saw still merits discussion on forums like this one.
Not as shocking as someone actually commenting on the original topic of the thread. :wink: Welcome to the forum.

I presume the God being referenced is the Christian Omniscient/Omnipotent/Omnibenevolent diety. As you correctly point out, the latter attribute and/or one of the others is incompatible with material existence.

Understandably, most people have a problem worshipping a god who is fickle when it comes to good and evil. If He is truly omnibenevolent, then we must presume that he is not omnipotent or omniscient. If I had to pick one deficit, I'd go with non-omnipotent, because who wants an uniformed god?

His other potential alibi would be that he is concerned not with our physical health but with our metaphysical health, i.e., the welfare and progress of our immaterial soul, but that leaves us with the riddle of the nature and purpose of this spiritual "progress."
Oh Felix, you're such a rationalist, judging God with your rationalist ideas. Give it up. It's not going to work. Rationalism died a long time ago.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Gary, I think a rational question deserves a rational reply, and an irrational one deserves an irrational reply or no rely at all, whereas you seem to think that both types of questions deserve an irrational reply.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm Gary, I think a rational question deserves a rational reply, and an irrational one deserves an irrational reply or no rely at all, whereas you seem to think that both types of questions deserve an irrational reply.
If that were the case, then we would be stuck on the treadmill of rationalism forever. You assumed that the Christian God is such and such. I think you assumed wrong. In the Old Testament, the second commandment says, "The Lord, thy God, is a jealous God." Nowhere does it talk about omni-anything. Have you ever tried to calmly talk reason to someone consumed by jealousy? It ain't pretty and from a distance it is laughable. You are not speaking about the Biblical God, but about the God of rationalists.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes, but the Biblical God, especially of the Old Testament, is completely ridiculous, unrealistic and clearly more rooted in imagination than reality.

The unhinged notions of the Abrahamics only gained traction by infiltrating the Roman Empire, taking advantage of the latter's decay. The idea of deities being jealous of each other is closer to my science fiction stories than anything based in reality.

A male God.
A jealous God.
A God that tells people to kill their children and then goes, "Yeah, nah" at the last moment.
A God that is scared of menstruating women.
A God that thinks gay people are abominations.
A God with serious concerns about shellfish.
A God that punishes rubbernecking by turning people into table condiments.
A God that rescues people after they spend months camping out within the belly of a whale.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Greta wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 11:08 pm Yes, but the Biblical God, especially of the Old Testament, is completely ridiculous, unrealistic and clearly more rooted in imagination than reality.

The unhinged notions of the Abrahamics only gained traction by infiltrating the Roman Empire, taking advantage of the latter's decay. The idea of deities being jealous of each other is closer to my science fiction stories than anything based in reality.

A male God.
A jealous God.
A God that tells people to kill their children and then goes, "Yeah, nah" at the last moment.
A God that rescues people after they spend months camping out within the belly of a whale.
At least that God you describe has a little life in him and isn't like the boring, bland God of today's pale moralists.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 11:12 pm
Greta wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 11:08 pm Yes, but the Biblical God, especially of the Old Testament, is completely ridiculous, unrealistic and clearly more rooted in imagination than reality.

A male God.
A jealous God.
At least that God you describe has a little life in him and isn't like the boring, bland God of today's pale moralists.
If one wishes to worship an immature tosser, one may.

Perhaps Pastafarianism would work for you? The Flying Spaghetti Monster is not bland and it is no more ridiculous than Abrahamic myths:
The central creation myth is that an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe "after drinking heavily". According to these beliefs, the Monster's intoxication was the cause for a flawed Earth. Furthermore, according to Pastafarianism, all evidence for evolution was planted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster in an effort to test the faith of Pastafarians ...
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Greta wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 11:22 pm

Perhaps Pastafarianism would work for you? The Flying Spaghetti Monster is not bland and it is no more ridiculous than Abrahamic myths:
I've always thought that the Flying Spaghetti Monster was just the contemporary version of Medusa, the goddess the Greeks feared the most. https://www.google.com/search?q=medusa& ... 66&bih=625 She's not my type. Actually the Greeks ran to the Beautiful Boy specifically to get away from Her.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

The resemblance is only cosmetic, Gary. It does not turn those who gaze upon it into meatballs.

The Greeks, like the Turks, ran to the Beautiful Boy because he was convenient - soft, pretty, weak, easily-led, with enough orifices to suffice and they didn't get pregnant.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Greta wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 11:49 pm The resemblance is only cosmetic, Gary. It does not turn those who gaze upon it into meatballs.

The Greeks, like the Turks, ran to the Beautiful Boy because he was convenient - soft, pretty, weak, easily-led, with enough orifices to suffice and they didn't get pregnant.
You know about as much about boys as I know about cooking spaghetti, which isn't much. Let me only say that women seem to think they are irresistible and the final meaning of all existence. Most men would probably agree. But not me.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

If you say so.

Whatever, I don't much believe in evil. I believe in entropy and damage. Evil is just nearby entropic force in intimidating amounts. Anyone who is capable of actual evil is, in fact, a victim of entropy in that something is wrong with their mental functioning.

I also believe in progress, that the larger unfolding process, of which biological life is seemingly a phase, has much further to run.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Greta wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 1:22 am If you say so.

Whatever, I don't much believe in evil. I believe in entropy and damage. Evil is just nearby entropic force in intimidating amounts. Anyone who is capable of actual evil is, in fact, a victim of entropy in that something is wrong with their mental functioning.

I also believe in progress, that the larger unfolding process, of which biological life is seemingly a phase, has much further to run.
Whatever
Felix

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith: In the Old Testament, the second commandment says, "The Lord, thy God, is a jealous God." Nowhere does it talk about omni-anything. Have you ever tried to calmly talk reason to someone consumed by jealousy? It ain't pretty and from a distance it is laughable. You are not speaking about the Biblical God, but about the God of rationalists.
Yes, as Greta suggested, the Old Testament Hebrew God is a paragon of virtue who, for example, advised the Israelites to massacre their enemies: "smite them, utterly destroy them; make no covenant with them, nor show any mercy to them."

Is He to be preferred over the loving god of the New Testament to whom Jesus prayed? Was Jesus one of the rationalists to whom you referred?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GaryLouisSmith wrote:
If that were the case, then we would be stuck on the treadmill of rationalism forever. You assumed that the Christian God is such and such. I think you assumed wrong. In the Old Testament, the second commandment says, "The Lord, thy God, is a jealous God." Nowhere does it talk about omni-anything. Have you ever tried to calmly talk reason to someone consumed by jealousy? It ain't pretty and from a distance it is laughable. You are not speaking about the Biblical God, but about the God of rationalists.
Jahweh was jealous of his status as the monogod where there were other tribal gods and gods of place.This attitude gave his devotees a feeling of entitledness which helped them to conquer other tribes. The Bible can reveal a rational historical narrative. I.e. 'rational' as referring to terrestrial (not other worldly) concerns.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 2:38 am
GaryLouisSmith: In the Old Testament, the second commandment says, "The Lord, thy God, is a jealous God." Nowhere does it talk about omni-anything. Have you ever tried to calmly talk reason to someone consumed by jealousy? It ain't pretty and from a distance it is laughable. You are not speaking about the Biblical God, but about the God of rationalists.
Yes, as Greta suggested, the Old Testament Hebrew God is a paragon of virtue who, for example, advised the Israelites to massacre their enemies: "smite them, utterly destroy them; make no covenant with them, nor show any mercy to them."

Is He to be preferred over the loving god of the New Testament to whom Jesus prayed? Was Jesus one of the rationalists to whom you referred?
HA! The New Testament God is the same "paragon of virtue" as the Old Testament God. I think that "loving god" that you mentioned is a New Age fiction. The New Testament is far from being moralistic and rationalistic. Where did you learn theology? Read it again. Jesus in the New Testament is an argumentative guy, a trouble maker, not a New Age hippy. There is no way you can make rational sense out of either testament. Nor would I want to. Moralists like you are destroying both philosophy and theology.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream