If there is a God, why is there evil?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
GrayArea

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by GrayArea »

Greatest I am wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:17 am
GrayArea wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:31 am Because we define "good" wrong. Because the human definition of "good" is only what human beings approve. Thus it is finite and subjective to a set point of view within existence.

On the other hand, God approves existence itself, thus why he made it (If he exists, that is). To him, all of existence is the definition of "good". Everything good and evil to us must all be good to God.

This could also be why serving God is the good above all good when it comes to Christianity or Islam.
This is why scriptures have God saying that he created good and evil for his pleasure.

We have to dither our what pleasure God would get from creating evil.

That is likely also why Christians sing of Adam's sin being a happy fault and necessary to God's plan.

Do you see the necessity for evil and sin in reality?

Regards
DL
It's not like evil and sin HAS to exist in order for reality to exist, just that evil and sin are but consequence of reality existing. If there is God, then I would believe that he did not create good and evil for his pleasure, but more as a causal consequence of creation itself which directly stems from his nature.
People perceive gray and argue about whether it's black or white.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:19 am
Sy Borg wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:34 am Haha, touche Eric! I just find unsubstantiated assumptions made with complete certainty unphilosophical, even antithetical to philosophy. It's one thing to believe oneself, another to expect others to accept unproven and unqualified claims made without attracting a critique.

Okay, let's say there's a universal being. Let's say it exists because life in the billions of Big Bangs before ours reached something like an Omega Point, and it can now survive, or even shape the nature of, Big Bangs. It is not a He. A reproductive organ at that scale does not bear thinking about. It is an It. If humans were made in God's image, then God must be both.

An entity of such magnitude, that has existed for countless aeons beyond anything we can imagine, is not going to worry about the "growing pains" of its infants. What do we care for the death of a cell in our body? Microbes and cells are (usually) too little for us to worry about. So that would be the dynamic. Just as we wish our cellular and microbial communities well in a very general sense, demonstrating this with exercise, good food and happy thoughts. Billions still die every day and, without their deaths, we would ourselves die. The system would break down. So this hypothetical God did the same - providing us with a fairly quiescent star, a suitable sized rocky planet that's lightly coated in water and has a stabilising satellite.

"Evil" to humans would, to God, be utterly trivial collateral damage, not to mention that death is essential to keep the overall system growing. Evil to us would be infinitely less than a flea bite to God.
Christians like Eric believe God does care about us and sparrows too. Eric and others also think God is all powerful in a physical sense. But God is not a physical force He is a spiritual force. Some Christians forget God is spirit not extended matter. A spiritual force is psychological not material . It's human psyches that care about other men and sparrows too.

God is a product of human psyches. Unfortunately for materialist Christians like Eric science has such power over their imaginations that they have to make God, Who is all-spirit, into an unimaginably enormous physical thing.
Well put! If an objective God cared about the minutiae, then most denizens of the biosphere would not have to murder (often in gruesome, tortuous ways) other organisms just so they can survive. A God that cared how individuals felt would create a natural system where organisms freely and lovingly exchanged energies to their mutual benefit.

A subjective God created in Man's image, of course, cares a great deal about that individual - but that God still cares absolutely nothing for trillions (including other species) of others. A subjective God demands the sacrifice of other animals and plants so as to survive.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Sy Borg wrote: May 19th, 2022, 9:07 pm
Belindi wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:19 am
Sy Borg wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:34 am Haha, touche Eric! I just find unsubstantiated assumptions made with complete certainty unphilosophical, even antithetical to philosophy. It's one thing to believe oneself, another to expect others to accept unproven and unqualified claims made without attracting a critique.

Okay, let's say there's a universal being. Let's say it exists because life in the billions of Big Bangs before ours reached something like an Omega Point, and it can now survive, or even shape the nature of, Big Bangs. It is not a He. A reproductive organ at that scale does not bear thinking about. It is an It. If humans were made in God's image, then God must be both.

An entity of such magnitude, that has existed for countless aeons beyond anything we can imagine, is not going to worry about the "growing pains" of its infants. What do we care for the death of a cell in our body? Microbes and cells are (usually) too little for us to worry about. So that would be the dynamic. Just as we wish our cellular and microbial communities well in a very general sense, demonstrating this with exercise, good food and happy thoughts. Billions still die every day and, without their deaths, we would ourselves die. The system would break down. So this hypothetical God did the same - providing us with a fairly quiescent star, a suitable sized rocky planet that's lightly coated in water and has a stabilising satellite.

"Evil" to humans would, to God, be utterly trivial collateral damage, not to mention that death is essential to keep the overall system growing. Evil to us would be infinitely less than a flea bite to God.
Christians like Eric believe God does care about us and sparrows too. Eric and others also think God is all powerful in a physical sense. But God is not a physical force He is a spiritual force. Some Christians forget God is spirit not extended matter. A spiritual force is psychological not material . It's human psyches that care about other men and sparrows too.

God is a product of human psyches. Unfortunately for materialist Christians like Eric science has such power over their imaginations that they have to make God, Who is all-spirit, into an unimaginably enormous physical thing.
Well put! If an objective God cared about the minutiae, then most denizens of the biosphere would not have to murder (often in gruesome, tortuous ways) other organisms just so they can survive. A God that cared how individuals felt would create a natural system where organisms freely and lovingly exchanged energies to their mutual benefit.

A subjective God created in Man's image, of course, cares a great deal about that individual - but that God still cares absolutely nothing for trillions (including other species) of others. A subjective God demands the sacrifice of other animals and plants so as to survive.
Not only is God spirit but God is also not all-powerful spirit. He can't dispel all evil. There is a constant battle going on between the good and the evil. Even if there were no humans there would still be animals dying and suffering.

God is a reasonable God if He exists only as a name for man's search for and aspiration to good, truth, and beauty.

The sky god Ngewo (West Africa) is a creator spirit who does not intervene in history. The Middle Eastern sky god whom we call God, or Allah, has been coopted into Islam and Christianity to account for creation and, unlike Ngewo and the God of the deists, God/Allah is presumed by modern Xians and Muslims to intervene in the workings of His creation.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:24 am Not only is God spirit but God is also not all-powerful spirit. He can't dispel all evil. There is a constant battle going on between the good and the evil. Even if there were no humans there would still be animals dying and suffering.

God is a reasonable God if He exists only as a name for man's search for and aspiration to good, truth, and beauty.

The sky god Ngewo (West Africa) is a creator spirit who does not intervene in history. The Middle Eastern sky god whom we call God, or Allah, has been coopted into Islam and Christianity to account for creation and, unlike Ngewo and the God of the deists, God/Allah is presumed by modern Xians and Muslims to intervene in the workings of His creation.
God not only can't dispel all evil, it also came up with a schema that regularly relies on murder and absolutely relies on death to function at all.

The trouble with deism is that it adds an extra layer, not Occam-friendly. Either nature recreates itself through probabilities over countless iterations or a deity creating a nature recreates itself through probabilities over countless iterations.

If a deity was intervening, then there would be evidence. There's evidence for the placebo-style benefits of faith per se, but not necessarily faith in anything in particular. For the superstitious in earlier times, a lucky rabbit foot would give that confidence. The rabbit was presumably not so lucky.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

GrayArea wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:26 pm
GrayArea wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:31 am Because we define "good" wrong. Because the human definition of "good" is only what human beings approve. Thus it is finite and subjective to a set point of view within existence.

On the other hand, God approves existence itself, thus why he made it (If he exists, that is). To him, all of existence is the definition of "good". Everything good and evil to us must all be good to God.

This could also be why serving God is the good above all good when it comes to Christianity or Islam.
This is why scriptures have God saying that he created good and evil for his pleasure.

That is likely also why Christians sing of Adam's sin being a happy fault and necessary to God's plan.

Regards
DL
It's not like evil and sin HAS to exist in order for reality to exist, just that evil and sin are but consequence of reality existing. If there is God, then I would believe that he did not create good and evil for his pleasure, but more as a causal consequence of creation itself which directly stems from his nature.
Good that you agree that our evolution must include, by consequence or not, sin or evil.

As to God, we can know nothing concrete about a God's nature, until a God steps up.

I think we are agreeing that God is nature.

A damned good way to think these days, when we are destroying the eco system that sustains us.

Nature has no problem of evil. Just a God would.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

EricPH wrote: May 19th, 2022, 12:22 am [
quote=GrayArea

God desires for only good to happen. Why would God desire evil?
If so, are you saying that God's plan has somehow been derailed?

Is the all powerful God not all powerful?

He cannot be if we puny humans can screw the plan up.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

EricPH wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:16 am In the spirit of the thread title, you would need to believe there is a God. It might help if the title was,,,

If, and only if there is a God, why is there evil.?

If you start from the assumption there is no God, then the thread title might be....

If there is No god, why did god create evil?
Would you know good without it's antonym?

No you would not.

In our dualistic reality, we have ranges of good and evil for all concepts.

I can't come up with an exception. Can you?

Regards
DL
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

Greatest I am wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:14 am

Regards
DL
Good that you agree that our evolution must include, by consequence or not, sin or evil.

As to God, we can know nothing concrete about a God's nature, until a God steps up.

A damned good way to think these days, when we are destroying the eco system that sustains us.

Regards
DL
Ah, but here is where our beliefs slightly differ. You may believe that God is the nature that surrounds us, but on the other hand, I personally believe that God is the nature that surrounds us as well as the people who destroy it. He should simply be all-encompassing. After all, humans are a part of nature—if they weren't, they would not have existed.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

GrayArea wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Ah, but here is where our beliefs slightly differ. You may believe that God is the nature that surrounds us, but on the other hand, I personally believe that God is the nature that surrounds us as well as the people who destroy it. He should simply be all-encompassing. After all, humans are a part of nature—if they weren't, they would not have existed.
Mine was also an all encompassing statement and I do bit see that difference.

Gnostic Christians are universalists and unlike Christianity and Islam, have ties equality of all souls to God's own righteousness.

This can apply to nature but not to some supernatural God.

Soul then would be defined by the wise as nature's life force and gift that has animated us.

We can then truthfully say that nature creates us and sustains us and deserves our veneration more than some supernatural fiction.

Black and white. No Grey.

Regards
DL
Pelegrin_1

Post by Pelegrin_1 »

I totally agree with the idea that we define "good wrong", as I believe GrayArea said. But then all such qualifying definitions are generally relative to the human experience. Of course, our interpretation of what is good is very anthropocentric and any God that I can imagine to have been responsible for life on this planet or in the universe would likely care about all of Its creations.

I also agree with the thought that any such God, if we give it the benefit of the doubt, also doesn't "desire evil", but again, assuming Its existence, it certainly doesn't seem to mind at all that suffering occurs, or that evil occurs for those who wish to call it that.

It would just be so much more simpler and less convoluted if we just accept that there is no God and that all of this that affects us is of our own human experience and even of our own doing, and we just have to take responsibility wherever it's due and strive to make our short existence here the best it can be, for all of us and for all life for that matter.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

Pelegrin_1 wrote: May 20th, 2022, 6:00 pm I totally agree with the idea that we define "good wrong", as I believe GrayArea said. But then all such qualifying definitions are generally relative to the human experience. Of course, our interpretation of what is good is very anthropocentric and any God that I can imagine to have been responsible for life on this planet or in the universe would likely care about all of Its creations.

I also agree with the thought that any such God, if we give it the benefit of the doubt, also doesn't "desire evil", but again, assuming Its existence, it certainly doesn't seem to mind at all that suffering occurs, or that evil occurs for those who wish to call it that.

It would just be so much more simpler and less convoluted if we just accept that there is no God and that all of this that affects us is of our own human experience and even of our own doing, and we just have to take responsibility wherever it's due and strive to make our short existence here the best it can be, for all of us and for all life for that matter.
The conundrum here is that the existence or nonexistence of God does not affect the concept of reality in any way that we can think of so far. One of the reasons why I am an Agnostic.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

GrayArea wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:36 pm
Pelegrin_1 wrote: May 20th, 2022, 6:00 pm I totally agree with the idea that we define "good wrong", as I believe GrayArea said. But then all such qualifying definitions are generally relative to the human experience. Of course, our interpretation of what is good is very anthropocentric and any God that I can imagine to have been responsible for life on this planet or in the universe would likely care about all of Its creations.

The conundrum here is that the existence or nonexistence of God does not affect the concept of reality in any way that we can think of so far. One of the reasons why I am an Agnostic.
Or to be more specific, the reason why I can't seem to differentiate God from Reality and vice versa.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

Greatest I am wrote: May 20th, 2022, 5:15 pm

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christians are universalists and unlike Christianity and Islam, have ties equality of all souls to God's own righteousness.

Soul then would be defined by the wise as nature's life force and gift that has animated us.

We can then truthfully say that nature creates us and sustains us and deserves our veneration more than some supernatural fiction.

Regards
DL
Sometimes we tend to differentiate ourselves from nature for the sake of convenience. But sometimes, we don't really have to!
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

GrayArea wrote: May 20th, 2022, 10:07 pm
Greatest I am wrote: May 20th, 2022, 5:15 pm

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Sometimes we tend to differentiate ourselves from nature for the sake of convenience. But sometimes, we don't really have to!
True. We should embrace and venerate our nature.

Remember though that Jesus said he was not of this world.

As a part of nature, I recognize that we are all in this together, alone.

If fully amerced in the "all" concept, we would not back away from reality and could not likely judge it accurately.

We have to leave the cave to see what is outside, as Socrates would say.

Regards
DL
Pelegrin_1

Post by Pelegrin_1 »

GrayArea wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:37 pm
GrayArea wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:36 pm
Or to be more specific, the reason why I can't seem to differentiate God from Reality and vice versa.
Rather than conflating the two, simply your perspective and say that we're just dealing with reality. The reality of the universe, our little space in it, and our human experience (as a species and during the brief lifetime that each one of us has).

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream