Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

What do you believe?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
MyshiningOne

What do you believe?

Post by MyshiningOne » April 22nd, 2007, 12:49 am

If you are religious, which one do you practice?
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.

cynicallyinsane

Post by cynicallyinsane » April 22nd, 2007, 12:55 am

I was a Catholic, but now I'm not and I don't really believe anything.

MyshiningOne

Post by MyshiningOne » April 22nd, 2007, 1:00 am

Really? Well, religion can sometimes wear you out...
It's not what you know that makes
you smart, it's knowing what you don't know.

woot

Post by woot » December 30th, 2007, 5:13 pm

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
(Mormon)
Practice is an accurate word

elililly

Post by elililly » January 1st, 2008, 2:55 pm

I'm a Secular Humanist, and I've started a new topic about it.
"Our similarities provide us with a common ground, but our differences allow us to be fascinated by one another. Differences give human encounters their snap and their fizz and their brew."
Tom Robbins ~ Skinny Legs and All

coffeeprincess

reformed mormon

Post by coffeeprincess » January 29th, 2008, 12:55 pm

:twisted:
I am what you might call a thelemite.
I intend to remove my name from the records of the church of slaves and join the O.:.T.:.O
I havebeen what the mormons call "inactive" from the time the indoctrination wore off (approx. 14) 'til now, which means if you don't count the years before I was "in full awareness and control" of my mind (8, acc.to LDS) I was mormon for six years and have been not a mormon for a little over ten.
"I'm not down here for your money, I'm not down here for you love, I'm not down here for your love or money, I'm down here for your soul"

-Nick Cave "Deanna"

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Re: reformed mormon

Post by Scott » January 29th, 2008, 4:42 pm

coffeeprincess wrote::twisted:
I am what you might call a thelemite.
I intend to remove my name from the records of the church of slaves and join the O.:.T.:.O
I havebeen what the mormons call "inactive" from the time the indoctrination wore off (approx. 14) 'til now, which means if you don't count the years before I was "in full awareness and control" of my mind (8, acc.to LDS) I was mormon for six years and have been not a mormon for a little over ten.
Once free from it, past slavery and suffering often becomes very valuable. I try to be wise enough to be grateful for all the failed attempts to subvert me or my mind because they all made me stronger and made me appreciate freedom that much more.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

coffeeprincess

Post by coffeeprincess » January 29th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Yeah, except for when you have no choice when you are being misled. At least the Masons don't hide the fact that they are misleading you.
"I'm not down here for your money, I'm not down here for you love, I'm not down here for your love or money, I'm down here for your soul"

-Nick Cave "Deanna"

luciditee

Post by luciditee » February 28th, 2008, 5:29 pm

I adhere to no one religion.. I just prefer to call myself a Spiritual Anarchist. Anarchism and spirituality are complementary and I believe that for either to be truly realized in their purest form depends on the realization of the other.

I take inspiration from all spiritual traditions, because, despite some difference, the core of each has a unique perspective that complements all others. My primary influences, however, are 'Buddhism' and Tao, and I'm also particularly interested in earth-based traditions such as shamanism.