What do you think about the title of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

What do you think about the title of the book?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is related to the philosophical book for the month of July Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelv ... ?id=264811

The title says 'winning the war'. I think the author has used this either because she is very optimistic or to emphasize the importance and reliability of the protocols that she suggests to treat cancer.

But to those who are at last stages of cancer or for those who have already lost their loved ones due to cancer, this title may seem like a false hope.

What do you think about that? Do you feel the same or do you think that this title is quite okay, or even one of the best titles?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Re: What do you think about the title of the book?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:00 pm This topic is related to the philosophical book for the month of July Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski

The title says 'winning the war'. I think the author has used this either because she is very optimistic or to emphasize the importance and reliability of the protocols that she suggests to treat cancer.

But to those who are at last stages of cancer or for those who have already lost their loved ones due to cancer, this title may seem like a false hope.

What do you think about that? Do you feel the same or do you think that this title is quite okay, or even one of the best titles?
Well, since "cancer" is not a single problem, acting like it is, which the title does, is either deliberately misleading to laypersons or a signal that the author is out of their depth.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 4th, 2021, 3:17 am
Sushan wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:00 pm This topic is related to the philosophical book for the month of July Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski

Well, since "cancer" is not a single problem, acting like it is, which the title does, is either deliberately misleading to laypersons or a signal that the author is out of their depth.
Cancer or any other illness is not a single problem. Along with the medical part there comes the financial, social and many other associated issues with almost all illness. None of the doctors or any other healers can accept each and every aspect of an illness. So I do not think that this author deliberately implied that cancer is a single problem, but she has talked about the area that a doctor can and should help to a patient who is suffering from cancer.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott »

Did you read the book?

I read the book, and I don't think the title is misleading. Based on my reading of the book, I don't think the author is out of her depths.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Scott wrote: July 4th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Did you read the book?

I read the book, and I don't think the title is misleading. Based on my reading of the book, I don't think the author is out of her depths.
I too do not think the author wanted to mislead her audience as she is presenting many evidence to show the success of these medication and the treatment methods. But I think it is too optimistic and the word 'winning' is used as a marketing strategy, as marketing her father's medicines and her organization could have been a side quest when writing this book. I think it is fair to say the title is catchy and cheering.

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: July 4th, 2021, 4:46 am

Cancer or any other illness is not a single problem. Along with the medical part there comes the financial, social and many other associated issues with almost all illness. None of the doctors or any other healers can accept each and every aspect of an illness. So I do not think that this author deliberately implied that cancer is a single problem, but she has talked about the area that a doctor can and should help to a patient who is suffering from cancer.
Well, I don't disagree that the purpose of a title of a book is to attract attention. Thus perhaps this thread is inviting unwarranted criticism. I don't mind dialing back my previous comment.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 5th, 2021, 2:31 am
Sushan wrote: July 4th, 2021, 4:46 am

Well, I don't disagree that the purpose of a title of a book is to attract attention. Thus perhaps this thread is inviting unwarranted criticism. I don't mind dialing back my previous comment.
One of the purposes of a book title is to attract an audience, but that is not the only thing and it is not said that it is okay to attract the audience even by lying. So if the author has utterly mislead the audience it is not good. Seemingly this author is on the middle. She has not mislead the audience, but at the same time there is a possibility to a reader to get false hopes regarding total cure for any cancer.

And criticism is a good thing to generate new ideas and identify new ways to look at the same subject matter.

– William James

Return to “Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream