Is winning the war on cancer inevitable?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski
Areopagite
New Trial Member

Re: Is winning the war on cancer inevitable?

Post by Areopagite »

In Sylvie Beljansky's book she recounts that Mirko's lab contents, papers and herbs were confiscated by the French government and he was not allowed access to his formula.
I am not sure why there is so much hostility to alternative treatments, especially when they do have research behind them. It is entirely simplistic and inaccurate to say that Dr. Huber only uses vitamin C and baking soda as you would know if you have read her Manifesto for a Cancer Patient. However I will say that vitamin C and alkalinizing diets are effective against some cancers. Why would you denigrate biochemistry when it is the basis even for chemotherapy, which is merely poisoning the body at the cellular level to halt cancer growth. It is indiscriminate and often destroys organ function, so that even if the cancer is eradicated you may die from organ failure. Bizarrely, both chemotherapy and radiation are cancer causing. Surgery is effective, but can remove important bodily functions, as in the case of mastectomy and prostate removal.
I think the fundamental misunderstanding about what cancer is spurs on treatments that are less than optimal. Cancer is caused by damaged cellular dna in which cellular reproduction is turned on, with no feedback shut off switch. The damaged dna is often caused by environmental poisoning, i.e. toxins in air, food, water, personal products, and ionizing radiation. The main focus should be to stop the poisoning, detoxify the body, and repair the dna, all of which are possible. What makes no sense is to further poison or radiate the body, and even if you surgically remove the affected portions, the damage is at the cellular level so the reoccurrence of cancer is highly likely. The body's own immune system clears damaged tissues and dna on a daily basis when it is operating optimally. You as a healthy individual encounter cancer on a daily basis, but it is not allowed to proliferate because your immune system removes it. Damaged cells are removed, damaged dna destroyed. The key is supporting the immune system and working with what the body is naturally designed to do.
In any case, sometimes death occurs in spite of everyone's best efforts. I am not sure why we give conventional therapies a pass as effective treatments when people die. Alternative strategies have clinically shown to be effective, people often are healthier and enjoy their lives without the side effects of conventional therapies, and in some cases manage their condition in such a way over long periods of time as to 'die with cancer, not of it'.
Fighting cancer is very individualized, because each case involves an individual. It seems to me that expanding our tool box only gives us more opportunities to achieve better outcomes. Instead of gaslighting people regarding the effectiveness of alternative therapies, maybe it would be better to do unbiased research, which unfortunately very rarely happens because there is little funding for it. When 80% of peer reviewed research papers cannot have their results duplicated, you have a real problem with credibility. When corporate interests are the ones paying for research indirectly in academia through charitable donations you may not be getting unbiased results. When big ag and big food pay universities for 'independent' research through state cooperative programs, one must consider the source. GMO, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, heavy metals, dyes, preservatives, industrial chemicals and pharmaceutical drugs are all mainstays of our marketplace directly and indirectly. Profits are the point. Natural and inexpensive compounds do not make money, patented chemicals, drugs, and products do. Think about it. If you are willing to take a known toxin that will cause you to vomit uncontrollably and lose your hair that costs a fortune in hopes of eradicating a cancer cell, why wouldn't you consider drinking some ojibwa tea that is not toxic, pleasant, you keep your hair, it's afforable and still destroys that cancer cell?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

LuckyR wrote: July 9th, 2021, 2:32 am Maybe with alternative treatments too. We can't say because there aren't any studies,
The book in question (Winning the War on Cancer) references multiple studies in detail.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Areopagite wrote: July 9th, 2021, 1:51 pm Natural and inexpensive compounds do not make money, patented chemicals, drugs, and products do. Think about it. If you are willing to take a known toxin that will cause you to vomit uncontrollably and lose your hair that costs a fortune in hopes of eradicating a cancer cell, why wouldn't you consider drinking some ojibwa tea that is not toxic, pleasant, you keep your hair, it's afforable and still destroys that cancer cell?
No one is stopping you. Drink tea. That's the beauty of western modern medicine. If you want it, it is available. If you want to drink tea, western medicine isn't going anywhere. There are plenty of patients for western medicine practitioners to treat. You're not going to be missed. If the tea cures your cancer (which I hope it does), fantastic. If you are ever dissatisfied with using tea to treat cancer, fine, western medicine will be waiting for you. It's all good.

I admit I have no practical experience with the machinations of the French government. Though I would seek independent corroboration for such an odd story. I mean why would the French government care?
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 6th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Scott wrote: July 6th, 2021, 1:03 pm At first glance, some may feel that the title of July Philosophy Book of the Month (link]Winning the War on Cancerlink) is too optimistic.

However, a deeper more thoughtful and careful philosophical consideration may result in an opposite conclusion.

Assuming humans do not soon go extinct, presumably by their own hand such as through nuclear war or a man-made catastrophic biological virus, then is it inevitable that we will soon win the war on cancer?

It is hard to overestimate the exponential growth of technology. Some humans used to laugh about the idea of airplanes and human flight, but so soon after their laughter it was that man has walked on the moon, quickly exceeding the idea of mere human flight here on Earth.

I've heard some people predict that not only will we soon win the war on cancer, but we will effectively end human aging altogether, or defeat all human disease, not just cancer.

Cancer is a perfectly natural system whereby cell division is, like everything, less than perfect. To live we must replicated our cells continually else we die. When cells mutate they most often die leaving the immune system to mop up. A healthy body with a healthy immune system is possibly the best way of coping with cancer cells - we all have cancer cells all the time. but as we grow older it becomes increasingly difficult to cope.
Cancer is not one thing, but a huge series of ailments whose common factor is the excessive growth of cells. It's onoly when these tumours become to big for the immune system to cope and when they start to invade other systems does cancer become a disease.
Cancer is a disease of old age.
I do not think he war on cancer can ever be won. The battle will continue and the front lines can be pushed back, but eventually for each of us the likley hood is that eventually we will die with a cancer in our body that contributes to our demise, even whem the primary cause of death is some other factor.

In general you have explained how a cancer can occur. But cancer is not an illness of old age. What about the neonates who are born with cancers (teratomas, astrocytomas, embryonal tumors, choroid plexus tumors, craniopharyngiomas, gangliogliomas, ependymal and meningeal tumors, etc.)?

Yes, cancer is a failure of bodily systems to fight against the wrong bodily processes. But that can happen at the beginning of life since we start as a single cell, and also towards our death as all the systems become to loose the efficacy as we get old. Anyway cancer is not a disease of old age.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 7th, 2021, 2:28 am
Scott wrote: July 6th, 2021, 1:03 pm At first glance, some may feel that the title of July Philosophy Book of the Month Winning the War on Cancer is too optimistic.

However, a deeper more thoughtful and careful philosophical consideration may result in an opposite conclusion.

Assuming humans do not soon go extinct, presumably by their own hand such as through nuclear war or a man-made catastrophic biological virus, then is it inevitable that we will soon win the war on cancer?

It is hard to overestimate the exponential growth of technology. Some humans used to laugh about the idea of airplanes and human flight, but so soon after their laughter it was that man has walked on the moon, quickly exceeding the idea of mere human flight here on Earth.

I've heard some people predict that not only will we soon win the war on cancer, but we will effectively end human aging altogether, or defeat all human disease, not just cancer.
Cancer is a perfectly natural system whereby cell division is, like everything, less than perfect. To live we must replicated our cells continually else we die. When cells mutate they most often die leaving the immune system to mop up. A healthy body with a healthy immune system is possibly the best way of coping with cancer cells - we all have cancer cells all the time. but as we grow older it becomes increasingly difficult to cope.
Cancer is not one thing, but a huge series of ailments whose common factor is the excessive growth of cells. It's onoly when these tumours become to big for the immune system to cope and when they start to invade other systems does cancer become a disease.
I do not think he war on cancer can ever be won. The battle will continue and the front lines can be pushed back, but eventually for each of us the likley hood is that eventually we will die with a cancer in our body that contributes to our demise, even whem the primary cause of death is some other factor.
Very important point. If all cancers were eliminated tomorrow, the human lifespan would only increase 3 years, since so many cancer patients are already beyond the average lifespan.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

OTOH, if you could cure suicide, homicide and accidents, the human lifespan would increase dramatically since those are killers of young people.
I think it is a fairly okay point, but not a 100% okay one. Older people who get cancers like prostate cancer won't get much benefit by the elimination of the cancer since it debilitating stage comes usually in very old age, up to when many won't even live.

But there are many other cancers that affect young people, like breast cancers, and also even the neonates, like brain cell tumors. If we can eradicate these ones it will be a great increment of not only the life span of those people but also an increment for their productivity as well.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sushan wrote: July 13th, 2021, 8:57 am
Scott wrote: July 6th, 2021, 1:03 pm At first glance, some may feel that the title of July Philosophy Book of the Month (link]Winning the War on Cancerlink) is too optimistic.

In general you have explained how a cancer can occur. But cancer is not an illness of old age.

I think if you look at the statistic you shall find that cancer is primarily about age.
Deaths by age
Deaths by age
What about the neonates who are born with cancers (teratomas, astrocytomas, embryonal tumors, choroid plexus tumors, craniopharyngiomas, gangliogliomas, ependymal and meningeal tumors, etc.)?
Thankfully teratomas are rare.
Deaths by age
Deaths by age
Yes, cancer is a failure of bodily systems to fight against the wrong bodily processes. But that can happen at the beginning of life since we start as a single cell, and also towards our death as all the systems become to loose the efficacy as we get old. Anyway cancer is not a disease of old age.
Yes it is.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I am unable to post a reference but you might be able to find the data on cancer and age from looking at
cancerresearchuk org health-professional cancer-statistics mortality age
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: July 13th, 2021, 9:08 am
LuckyR wrote: July 7th, 2021, 2:28 am
Scott wrote: July 6th, 2021, 1:03 pm At first glance, some may feel that the title of July Philosophy Book of the Month Winning the War on Cancer is too optimistic.

Very important point. If all cancers were eliminated tomorrow, the human lifespan would only increase 3 years, since so many cancer patients are already beyond the average lifespan.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

OTOH, if you could cure suicide, homicide and accidents, the human lifespan would increase dramatically since those are killers of young people.
I think it is a fairly okay point, but not a 100% okay one. Older people who get cancers like prostate cancer won't get much benefit by the elimination of the cancer since it debilitating stage comes usually in very old age, up to when many won't even live.

But there are many other cancers that affect young people, like breast cancers, and also even the neonates, like brain cell tumors. If we can eradicate these ones it will be a great increment of not only the life span of those people but also an increment for their productivity as well.
Sounds good. Too bad the stats don't back it up. The mere three year lifespan boost by curing ALL cancers does, in fact take into account the luckily rare cancers among children (who, of course are overwhelmed, statistically by the tsunami of elderly cancer patients).

If longevity is the goal, cancer cure is not the answer. As mentioned, although cancer tugs on heartstrings accident, homicide and suicide prevention is where the additional years are located.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Areopagite wrote: July 7th, 2021, 5:08 pm Winning the war on cancer is indeed inevitable because cancer cures are already available. The issue, as always, is exposure of this information. People with healthy immune systems fight and win the war on cancer every day. There are already a myriad of cancer treatments for those willing to take the time to look. What is quite certain, though, is that if you follow conventional modes of treatment and nutrition you will find yourself losing this battle. Your body is designed to heal if given the proper materials and absent subsequent poisoning. The cancer industry is a well documented for-profit corporate interest which benefits from creating a public perception that cancer is not curable. Mirko Beljansky bumped into this reality, and, his experience and research should not be ignored for those who want to actually see people healed rather than virtue signalling their moral superiority by buying something pink.
I cannot totally disagree with what you say as I too believe that the field of medicine and pharmacy has already become a business than a service. But for the time being I am not aware about 100% efficient alternative cancer treatment that can be used alone to treat any patient. Various combinations can do wonders on various patients, yet that has a patient factor as well. Our bodies are different and in them the same drug can act in different ways. One is allergic to a drug but another is not so. So I do not think that there are such multi-potent drugs or treatment regimes, although it would have been a blessing if we had such things.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Areopagite wrote: July 8th, 2021, 10:23 am Maybe. Mirko did not have access to his own stuff, and there are other things he might have used. He was not able to exercise his options. The irony is that his treatment actually mitigates the side effects of conventional treatment if used in conjunction with it. He was denied this option and wasn't really capable at that point of developing something else. So he died. But that doesn't mean what he developed doesn't work. The real question is, why wasn't he allowed to use his own treatment, esecially if, as some say, it doesn't work. Also, let's posit that he used it and he still died. That doesn't mean that it was not helpful to him. Chemotherapy and radiation treatments are highly lethal on their own. He might have had healing occurring when the other treatments killed him, as they often do. Mirko did have long standing results in effectively treating difficult conditions over time. So, why wasn't he allowed access? If you wanted to disprove it would be easier to let him take it and claim it didn't work if he died. The 'if' is the problem, because if he lived, you may have proven something else. The clinical trials at Colombia show good results. There are other treatments like Beljansky's that also have good success. But you rarely hear of them, and most doctors will only recommend conventional treatment. The recent docuseries The Truth about Cancer was an attempt at helping to educate the public about cancer and show effective treatment and cures that they would never hear from their doctor. Cancer is very treatable and not an automatic death sentence. The war on cancer is really an individual fight, and those suffering from it need to have good information and be allowed to exercise all their options. Those who do often have great outcomes. Dr. Huber's practice in AZ has a documented 93% success rate with cancer patients. I would say she is winning.
It is possible that he did not have access to his own stuff due to the legal iissues. Legal issues can be made with corrupted intentions, but that does not mean they are always malicious in intent. Maybe his stuff had the potential to actually harm the patients than help them.

At the same time, if he performed his experiments with prohibited stuff then it is illegal, and seemingly his imprisonment has happened after a fair trial.

– William James
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Is winning the war on cancer inevitable?

I think so.

But I seriously doubt that any of us will be alive to see it.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Scott wrote: July 8th, 2021, 10:59 am
Areopagite wrote: July 7th, 2021, 5:08 pm Winning the war on cancer is indeed inevitable because cancer cures are already available. The issue, as always, is exposure of this information.
To play devil's advocate, knowing the cure alone does not make the war winnable.

For instance, we know the cure to morbid obesity. Even those dying from morbid obesity know the cure. However, we are likely to win the war on cancer long before we win the war on obesity, or even truly start the latter. Arguably, most of the work that is currently being done to make technological advancements in battling obesity is for mere aesthetics rather than health. In other words, people are more than willing to overeat themselves to death, but if possible they would pay good money to look more physically attractive while they do.

Nonetheless, despite people's addictions and they way for-profit companies like Pfizer and McDonalds cater to those addictions for profit, I do think that winning the war on cancer is inevitable.

The delay is because we need to win the war on cancer without winning the war on addiction (e.g. smoking cigarettes, overeating to morbid obesity and death, etc.) because the other (a war on addiction) is not going to be winnable nearly as soon if ever.
Why should we try to win the war on cancer just ignoring the many addictions that lead people towards various cancers (i.e. Smoking will lead people to lung cancers) ?

I see this as a war front, and we should target all the obvious as well as less obvious enemies. Cancer is visible since it is a full blown enemy and we see the damage it can do. But what about smoking and junk food eating? They do not appear as dangerous, but all of us are aware about the damage they can do, though we have chosen to ignore it with or without the intention. So I think the counterattack should be on the whole war front, destroying all the enemies, and it has to be done simultaneously, not one after the other.

– William James

Return to “Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream