Does everyone have the ability to change others' lives?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Does everyone have the ability to change others' lives?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the July 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski

You were born with the ability to change someone’s life—don’t ever waste it.
DALE PARTRIDGE
(Location 265 of Kindle version)

The author begins the first chapter of the book with the above quote. What do you think about it? Do we all have the ability to change someone's life? Have you recognized your own such ability and utilized it?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Re: Do everyone have the ability to change others' lives?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:26 pm This topic is about the July 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski

DALE PARTRIDGE

The author begins the first chapter of the book with the above quote. What do you think about it? Do we all have the ability to change someone's life? Have you recognized your own such ability and utilized it?
I would change the word "ability" with "opportunity", since social interaction can change our appreciation of things that we find very important. Naturally all of us have changed the lives of those close to use, both positively and negatively. The goal is to rack up way more positive than negative.
"As usual... it depends."
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 8th, 2021, 2:16 am
Sushan wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:26 pm This topic is about the July 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski

DALE PARTRIDGE

I would change the word "ability" with "opportunity", since social interaction can change our appreciation of things that we find very important. Naturally all of us have changed the lives of those close to use, both positively and negatively. The goal is to rack up way more positive than negative.
A good concept. Yes, it is more an opportunity than an ability. It is up to you to choose whether to utilize that opportunity or not.

We all have exerted some sort of influence over the lives of those who are close to us. What retains will depend on the strength of the influence and the influence from various other sources. And our influence can be either bad or good.

But I think there are people who inherit this as an actual ability, and they choose to change the lives of others in large scales. Public speakers and spiritual guides are few of them, whether they do it genuinely or not.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Papus79 wrote: July 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm
Well, this is a quote which is recently formed and spread through Twitter targeting the rumoured hhypothesis of the novel Corona virus being infected to humans by a person eating a undercooked bat. I am not certain about the credibility of that information, yet I agree that a person can change the world, and there areany examples like Edison, Einstein, Tesla, etc.

– William James
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Sushan wrote: July 8th, 2021, 9:48 pm Well, this is a quote which is recently formed and spread through Twitter targeting the rumoured hhypothesis of the novel Corona virus being infected to humans by a person eating a undercooked bat. I am not certain about the credibility of that information, yet I agree that a person can change the world, and there areany examples like Edison, Einstein, Tesla, etc.
Oh I'd agree, the upshot it's much easier to be famous cutting wind and starting a tsunami than it is to get a Nobel prize, be the first person on Mars, etc..
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Papus79 wrote: July 8th, 2021, 9:52 pm
Sushan wrote: July 8th, 2021, 9:48 pm Well, this is a quote which is recently formed and spread through Twitter targeting the rumoured hhypothesis of the novel Corona virus being infected to humans by a person eating a undercooked bat. I am not certain about the credibility of that information, yet I agree that a person can change the world, and there areany examples like Edison, Einstein, Tesla, etc.
Oh I'd agree, the upshot it's much easier to be famous cutting wind and starting a tsunami than it is to get a Nobel prize, be the first person on Mars, etc..
You are correct. For some reason the negative things are easy to perform and you will instantly influence a large amount of people and will be famous worldwide. But the good things are hard to perform and cost a lot, and more often ending in failure. We speak about Edison because he succeeded in inventing the bulb. But how many would have been tried and failed and just forgotten in the history books. At the same time we see many serial killers who have left a permanent mark on the history books making people talk about them even today. (E.g. Ted Bundy)

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: July 8th, 2021, 9:18 pm

DALE PARTRIDGE

A good concept. Yes, it is more an opportunity than an ability. It is up to you to choose whether to utilize that opportunity or not.

We all have exerted some sort of influence over the lives of those who are close to us. What retains will depend on the strength of the influence and the influence from various other sources. And our influence can be either bad or good.

But I think there are people who inherit this as an actual ability, and they choose to change the lives of others in large scales. Public speakers and spiritual guides are few of them, whether they do it genuinely or not.
No doubt, some have a much larger megaphone than average. But usually megaphones impact huge numbers at a shallow depth, whereas personal interactions impact one or a few, but perhaps to their core.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 9th, 2021, 2:43 am
Sushan wrote: July 8th, 2021, 9:18 pm

DALE PARTRIDGE

No doubt, some have a much larger megaphone than average. But usually megaphones impact huge numbers at a shallow depth, whereas personal interactions impact one or a few, but perhaps to their core.
If you want a bigger impact, yes you should act personally and the plans should be tailor made. A mentor is a good example. A mentor won't go up a stage and speak to a large audience, but will speak to a few, repeatedly and will change their whole souls and behaviours (a good mentor).

Public influencers can attract and reach larger crowds. But when they leave their audience only a very little of what they told will return.

– William James
Anand_Haqq

Re: Does everyone have the ability to change others' lives?

Post by Anand_Haqq »

. How can one change others Life if one cannot change his own Life ... ?

. There's many people who think as if they've the right of interfering in other people's Life, Knowing well that their own Life is at risk of being chaotic ...

. No, nobody can change other people's Life ... It is impossible to change that whose nature cannot be changed in any circumstance by others.

. At most you can put yourself more miserable than you already are. It is a simple logic of Life. If you create anger, don't expect to infect others with your anger. You'll be the only one harmed and infected with your own poison ... Life is fair ...

. Your Life is your Karma; your Life is utterly your doing. Have the guts to admit yourself as the only one responsible for your Life ... nobody else is. Be authentic ... yes ... it's difficult. It's easier not to respond to Life's situations and to blame others for one's mistakes of Life. But ... by being authentic and truly an individual you get wiser and deeper in understanding. Slowly slowly you become a man of understanding ...

. Meditate over this prayer ...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

- Serenity Prayer
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

Not everybody has that ability, and only because of circumstances that inhibit such abilities... However, the general consensus is yes everyone is able to change, the problem is if they want to change. We can want change for someone all we want, but I learned this valuable lesson when I changed. The only person who can change you is you. Not me, not your mom, not your friends, not even the government.
Theoryst
New Trial Member

Post by Theoryst »

"People don't change, they just reveal themselves" . I don't remember who said that, but I think it's true.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Anand_Haqq wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 6:51 pm . How can one change others Life if one cannot change his own Life ... ?

. There's many people who think as if they've the right of interfering in other people's Life, Knowing well that their own Life is at risk of being chaotic ...

. No, nobody can change other people's Life ... It is impossible to change that whose nature cannot be changed in any circumstance by others.

. At most you can put yourself more miserable than you already are. It is a simple logic of Life. If you create anger, don't expect to infect others with your anger. You'll be the only one harmed and infected with your own poison ... Life is fair ...

. Your Life is your Karma; your Life is utterly your doing. Have the guts to admit yourself as the only one responsible for your Life ... nobody else is. Be authentic ... yes ... it's difficult. It's easier not to respond to Life's situations and to blame others for one's mistakes of Life. But ... by being authentic and truly an individual you get wiser and deeper in understanding. Slowly slowly you become a man of understanding ...

. Meditate over this prayer ...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

- Serenity Prayer
A grown up will be responsible for his own life and he cannot blame others for his wrong doings. But is this applicable to everyone, even children? Parents can (and should) mould their children to become good citizens. If our parents did let us grow on our own thinking that our life belongs to us, I do not think none of us will be having good lives.

Even adults can be moulded and taken into correct paths by others. Rehabilitation for addicts is a example for this. So I think atleast some people can (and they should) change others lives for good.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Fellowmater wrote: August 9th, 2021, 2:24 am Not everybody has that ability, and only because of circumstances that inhibit such abilities... However, the general consensus is yes everyone is able to change, the problem is if they want to change. We can want change for someone all we want, but I learned this valuable lesson when I changed. The only person who can change you is you. Not me, not your mom, not your friends, not even the government.
You have a point. Howevermuch anyone try to change someone else, the choice to be changed or not belongs to that particular person but not to anyone else. But that does not mean that people do not have the ability to change others. Otherwise how can there are public influences and they have thousands of followers? Everyone cannot be public influencers, but we all have a certain impact on the ones that we are close to us, and that impact can be used to change them for good.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Theoryst wrote: August 18th, 2021, 4:14 am "People don't change, they just reveal themselves" . I don't remember who said that, but I think it's true.
I am not sure about that. Let's think a serial killer saved a life for some reason. How can that be a revelation of his self? It is either a mistake or his nature has been changed. It is true that people can have disguises and the revelation of their true selves will be seen by others as change of the nature of such people. But when a killer becomes a priest and get rid of all his false behaviour, how it can be a revelation rather than a complete change?

– William James

Return to “Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure by Sylvie Beljanski”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream