Will racism ever be over?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas
LuckyR

Re: Will racism ever be over?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:31 pm
Gertie wrote: August 6th, 2021, 10:54 pm
LuckyR wrote: August 6th, 2021, 1:40 am
Sushan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:10 pm This topic is about the August 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

(Location 259 of Kindle version)

So in the book, when Frank gets to the US, he experiences instances of racial discrimination that he hadn't in Guyana. Once he was even denied of a prestigious job not because he was not suitable, but because he was black.

The author met with these issues few decades back, but still we see remnants of racism throughout the world. Will racism ever be over? If not, why?
Tribalism is intrinsic to the human understanding of self. The tribes in the future may move away from what we call race, but don't be fooled, it will just be replaced by something else besides race.
Yes I think you're right we have these evolved tribal pre-dispositions which can be triggered in various ways. My hope is that if we come to understand them better, we might be able to avoid the worst effects...
Yes, it has been shown that humans are tend to express their power when they feel like they have a superior power over other people. This psychological fact has been shown as the reason for violence towards war prisoners which were commenced by usually innocent soldiers (I am not saying they had no control over what they did, and it was wrong despite the reason). This trend is found in multi cultural societies where there are obvious majority and minority groups. So the solution for racism has to be found within individuals by learning how to treat everyone equally.
Learning is more effective in dealing with conscious discrimination than with unconscious bias.
"As usual... it depends."
Slavedevice

Post by Slavedevice »

@LuckyR
You are totally correct! Man is Tribal by nature and color is just one manifestation of this Tribalism. But, I’m gonna risk getting banned here - just by traveling the world and being a scientific observer, I conclude personally that some races are more intelligent (whites and Asians). I mean come on man, Africans had the same amount of time to develop an advanced society as other races and they are definitely far behind on technology, etc. people are so afraid to just use their common sense!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Slavedevice wrote: October 26th, 2021, 7:06 am @LuckyR
You are totally correct! Man is Tribal by nature and color is just one manifestation of this Tribalism. But, I’m gonna risk getting banned here - just by traveling the world and being a scientific observer, I conclude personally that some races are more intelligent (whites and Asians). I mean come on man, Africans had the same amount of time to develop an advanced society as other races and they are definitely far behind on technology, etc. people are so afraid to just use their common sense!
Have you read Guns, Germs and Steel?
Slavedevice

Post by Slavedevice »

I read that book long ago
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Slavedevice wrote: October 26th, 2021, 1:19 pm I read that book long ago
Did you get anything out of it?
Slavedevice

Post by Slavedevice »

I don’t remember a lot. But this pandemic relates a lot to how germs relate to evolution
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Slavedevice wrote: October 27th, 2021, 6:52 am I don’t remember a lot. But this pandemic relates a lot to how germs relate to evolution
I get it. Jared Diamond basically shows how folks from societies that are technology and resource limited aren't that way due to intellectual or work ethic limitations, rather due to the luck of geographic history.
Neil Wallace

Post by Neil Wallace »

Sushan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:10 pm The author met with these issues few decades back, but still we see remnants of racism throughout the world. Will racism ever be over? If not, why?
For most of human history there has been an evolutionary advantage to tribalism. Racism would disappear within a few generations if it became evolutionary preferable to do so.

This may be happening now. Curiously the same elite who profited from Imperialism and Slavery of other Races, now derive profit from Globalism (a generally anti-racist movement, notwithstanding its other detrimental issues).

The workers who were indoctrinated with racist attitudes into the fabric of their culture are now being beaten with a stick to unlearn them by those whose priveleged grandparents were shoving it down their throats in the first place. Such is life.

Return to “Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream