Will racism ever be over?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas
Sculptor1

Re: Will racism ever be over?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:20 am
Sculptor1 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:07 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:03 am
Sculptor1 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 5:32 am
Well you would say that wouldn't you?
My nail hitting comment is not refuted by this response, unless you want to address the point I have made.

Out of interest - do you have any dogs?
Our family includes a dog and I have many local canine friends.

Prejudice against some does not mean prejudice against all, a point that's so clearly evident that it shouldn't have to be said. It's a bonkers notion that prejudice against one type of entity means prejudice against all.

A simple example, a local groodle that gets aggressive with brown boxers. There's a local black boxer, no problem. But when a brown boxer turns up to the park then the owner has to take his dog away. Another example, compare employer attitudes towards Chinese migrants as compared with Sub Saharan African migrants. Certainly anyone familiar with dogs knows that many small breeds are much intimidated by large dogs.

It happens all the time - people and animals having hangups about particular groups or individuals.
Learned behaviour, not natural, and easily overcome.
Good luck with that one.
Easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZKGzxl3Ekw

You are missing what is blindingly obvious, that dogs not only overcome breed differences but species differences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWNIcf9ftI
I'd hate to live in your world.
How do you feel about black people?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 7:08 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:20 am
Sculptor1 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:07 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:03 am
Our family includes a dog and I have many local canine friends.

Prejudice against some does not mean prejudice against all, a point that's so clearly evident that it shouldn't have to be said. It's a bonkers notion that prejudice against one type of entity means prejudice against all.

A simple example, a local groodle that gets aggressive with brown boxers. There's a local black boxer, no problem. But when a brown boxer turns up to the park then the owner has to take his dog away. Another example, compare employer attitudes towards Chinese migrants as compared with Sub Saharan African migrants. Certainly anyone familiar with dogs knows that many small breeds are much intimidated by large dogs.

It happens all the time - people and animals having hangups about particular groups or individuals.
Learned behaviour, not natural, and easily overcome.
Good luck with that one.
Easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZKGzxl3Ekw

You are missing what is blindingly obvious, that dogs not only overcome breed differences but species differences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWNIcf9ftI
I'd hate to live in your world.
How do you feel about black people?
I'd hate to live in your world, because you don't understand what is said to you.

In the end, we - including other animals, plants, fungi, microbes, fluids, rocks and gases - are parts of the Earth. The Earth is undergoing rapid changes and extinctions due to the activities of H. sapiens (of any shade of brown), as opposed to other agents of change - glaciation, asteroids, volcanic activity and cyanobacteria.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Humans evolved many of our social (trust, bonding, caring, cooperative) traits in a tribal setting, which resulted in extending our circle of care from ourselves, to kin and fellow tribe members via neurobiological bonding mechanisms. And outsiders more likely to be identified with threat or competition.

There's no simple tribal or racist gene, our brains are super complex and learning is a key feature of humans too, but we've carried over a tendancy towards ingroup/outgroup behaviours which can be triggered in all kinds of ways in our modern world. The various ways this can manifest can be addressed on an individual basis of what we come to be triggered by, by awareness and what reinforces particular biases in sometimes subtle ways. Crudely speaking, we're tribal by nature, but how that manifests is flexible, and can be overcome.

Brown Eyes/Blue Eyes classroom experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvpuQXNfvc
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Gertie wrote: April 9th, 2022, 6:25 am Humans evolved many of our social (trust, bonding, caring, cooperative) traits in a tribal setting, which resulted in extending our circle of care from ourselves, to kin and fellow tribe members via neurobiological bonding mechanisms. And outsiders more likely to be identified with threat or competition.

There's no simple tribal or racist gene, our brains are super complex and learning is a key feature of humans too, but we've carried over a tendancy towards ingroup/outgroup behaviours which can be triggered in all kinds of ways in our modern world. The various ways this can manifest can be addressed on an individual basis of what we come to be triggered by, by awareness and what reinforces particular biases in sometimes subtle ways. Crudely speaking, we're tribal by nature, but how that manifests is flexible, and can be overcome.

Brown Eyes/Blue Eyes classroom experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvpuQXNfvc
I love this experiment.
It shows that there is a tendency to tribal thinking, but that tendency is made of tissue and the tribe is ultimately extendable to encompass all.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Sushan wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:10 pm This topic is about the August 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
          -Dr. Martin Luther King-
(Location 259 of Kindle version)

So in the book, when Frank gets to the US, he experiences instances of racial discrimination that he hadn't in Guyana. Once he was even denied of a prestigious job not because he was not suitable, but because he was black.

The author met with these issues few decades back, but still we see remnants of racism throughout the world. Will racism ever be over? If not, why?
Racism will truly be over when the Race bating and Race Hustling finally stops.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Race Bating = Race Baiting
phoney06
New Trial Member

Post by phoney06 »

I believe that racism can never truly end, but it can be negated to the point where the chances of it popping up again are lower than they previously were.

However, in order to "stop" racism, such as racial slurs, we need to remove what makes them bad.
The words themselves are not bad; it is the connotations around the word that makes us deem it "bad". If we stop using the words for its malicious intent, and stop considering it racist, it will lose its racist connotation.

Words only have power when you give them power.

Return to “Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas”

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream