Will racism ever be over?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Will racism ever be over?

Post by Sy Borg »

Slavedevice wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:12 am Ok, here’s what I can say is science:

2. There is no country under African leadership that has reached the modernization as white controlled countries.
They would have done far better without colonisation. One cannot ignore history.

Why is Amrica so much more violent than other western nations. History. The US was colonised and released itself with violence. The nation was forged in violence and has continued to bomb one nation after another for decades.

Slavedevice wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:12 am3. Black people all over the world score significantly lower IQ. In Sub-Sahara Africa they usually barely reach 70.
There are too many brilliant black people to write off black intelligence. There's plenty of black PhDs out there to make our IQs pale by comparison, so to speak haha. Also note that, with equivalent education, the differences within races are far greater than the differences between them. Same situation with gender.

Slavedevice wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:12 am4. Black societies consistently need assistance from more developed societies.
That's also due to how their progress was retarded by colonisation.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 6th, 2022, 1:12 pm
Sy Borg wrote: April 5th, 2022, 7:53 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 5th, 2022, 5:58 pm
Slavedevice wrote: April 5th, 2022, 7:17 am It’s been proven scientifically that humans (and all mammals) tend to like their own features. There is also evidence that after thousands of years of developing in an extremely different environment, there are differences in racial psychology and intelligence. It’s utterly ignorant to think all races will mix smoothly. I’m not talking about abusing another race. I’m simply realizing science and psychology.
Yet a dog will be as happy with a french bulldog or a great dane.
Slavedevice is right. Anyone who knows dogs knows that they tend to be extra excited to encounter dogs of similar morphology.
That's not really relevant, Since that does not amount to racism in any sense.
You used a dog analogy and I pointed out that the dog analogy doesn't work.

Dog's are absolutely prejudiced. Dogs avoid or embrace others based on colour and breed all the time. They will discriminate at various times on the basis of smell, appearance, size, age, activity levels, athleticism and attitude. Some even discriminate against humans based on gender or colour. While dogs don't tend to codify breed/small etc as humans do, they do discriminate on an individual basis, often based on superficial features, eg. the local groodle that hates brown boxers (for reasons unknown).

I agree that, on the face of it, eliminating racism should be easy to achieve. Then again, at one time, the idea of shifting to renewable energy once seemed straightforward enough. Not making war seems simple to achieve, but Trump's Russian Mafioso buddy made clear that this is not the case either.

Humanity may well eventually overcome these problems, but it's clear there will be enormous, seemingly unnecessary, disasters along the way.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg wrote: April 6th, 2022, 3:47 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 6th, 2022, 1:12 pm
Sy Borg wrote: April 5th, 2022, 7:53 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 5th, 2022, 5:58 pm

Yet a dog will be as happy with a french bulldog or a great dane.
Slavedevice is right. Anyone who knows dogs knows that they tend to be extra excited to encounter dogs of similar morphology.
That's not really relevant, Since that does not amount to racism in any sense.
You used a dog analogy and I pointed out that the dog analogy doesn't work.

Dog's are absolutely prejudiced. Dogs avoid or embrace others based on colour and breed all the time. They will discriminate at various times on the basis of smell, appearance, size, age, activity levels, athleticism and attitude. Some even discriminate against humans based on gender or colour. While dogs don't tend to codify breed/small etc as humans do, they do discriminate on an individual basis, often based on superficial features, eg. the local groodle that hates brown boxers (for reasons unknown).

I agree that, on the face of it, eliminating racism should be easy to achieve. Then again, at one time, the idea of shifting to renewable energy once seemed straightforward enough. Not making war seems simple to achieve, but Trump's Russian Mafioso buddy made clear that this is not the case either.

Humanity may well eventually overcome these problems, but it's clear there will be enormous, seemingly unnecessary, disasters along the way.
Clearly if you ignore the rest of my post you are not going to be able to make any worthwhile remarks that reflect what I say.
Thanks for playing.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I didn't ignore it, I took your material on board (most of which I've already seen), but it wasn't worthwhile as regards the issue at hand - human racism. All creatures discriminate, some more than others.

The reality is that, while racism superficially appears to be easy to overcome, it is still prevalent globally. In the 1980s I thought that racism would become an anachronism, but it's back again, stronger than ever - and globally. There's no one culture being racist, there's a significant subset of all cultures that is racist.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Dog's are absolutely prejudiced. Dogs avoid or embrace others based on colour and breed all the time.

Were this true a dog would never be happy in a human home, let alone befriend cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1YuodFxRWE

It is my view that you are really talking about yourself here.
Last edited by Sculptor1 on April 7th, 2022, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Prejudice and discrimination are natural and probably cannot be eliminated. All mammals tend to favor their own children and family members (not always, of course, as adoption proves).

"Race", however, is a demonstrably unscientific biological concept, as proven by DNA testing. Since "race" (as most humans understand it) is culturally constituted (instead of biologically determined), better understanding of science or other cultural changes can, perhaps, eliminate racism.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Ecurb wrote: April 7th, 2022, 9:59 am Prejudice and discrimination are natural and probably cannot be eliminated. All mammals tend to favor their own children and family members (not always, of course, as adoption proves).
Compassion, love, and co-operation are natural and are ever present. It takes very little to reverse hatred and fear.
Racism is a choice; a bad choice.

"Race", however, is a demonstrably unscientific biological concept, as proven by DNA testing. Since "race" (as most humans understand it) is culturally constituted (instead of biologically determined), better understanding of science or other cultural changes can, perhaps, eliminate racism.
Yes, racism is a pseudo-scientific justification for good old tribalism.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ecurb wrote: April 7th, 2022, 9:59 am Prejudice and discrimination are natural and probably cannot be eliminated. All mammals tend to favor their own children and family members (not always, of course, as adoption proves).

Prejudice and discrimination (when based on past experiences ie learning) are indeed natural, and should not be eliminated. Racism, as a form of tribalism is understandable yet illogical and regrettable, and should be minimized whenever possible. I agree with the premise that racism, from a practical standpoint probably cannot be eliminated, though there is one circumstance when it could be.
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Ebony  & Ivory
Ebony & Ivory

Meet Boffy my "white" Labrador and Paddy the "black" mongrel.

Boffy is a pedigree Sussex bred Labrador, whilst Paddy is a Black mixed race Rescue dog from Ireland.

I am told on this thread that dogs are naturally prejudiced, No one told these two dogs that. Apparently they never got the memo.
They live two doors apart and though they do not get to see each other as often as either of them would like there is no doubt that they cherish each other more than any other dog in the neighbourhood.
When they meet , it is always with much excitement and fuss.
Last edited by Sculptor1 on April 8th, 2022, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 7th, 2022, 7:40 am Dog's are absolutely prejudiced. Dogs avoid or embrace others based on colour and breed all the time.

Were this true a dog would never be happy in a human home, let alone befriend cats.

Argument ad absurdum with a mindless ad hominem tossed in for no good reason.

Being prejudiced against some does not mean prejudice against others. Consider dog-loving racists, for instance. Even a moment's thought would make this clear, but that moment's thought was not taken.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg wrote: April 7th, 2022, 9:37 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: April 7th, 2022, 7:40 am Dog's are absolutely prejudiced. Dogs avoid or embrace others based on colour and breed all the time.

Well you would say that wouldn't you?
My nail hitting comment is not refuted by this response, unless you want to address the point I have made.

Out of interest - do you have any dogs?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 5:32 am

My nail hitting comment is not refuted by this response, unless you want to address the point I have made.

Our family includes a dog and I have many local canine friends.

Prejudice against some does not mean prejudice against all, a point that's so clearly evident that it shouldn't have to be said. It's a bonkers notion that prejudice against one type of entity means prejudice against all.

A simple example, a local groodle that gets aggressive with brown boxers. There's a local black boxer, no problem. But when a brown boxer turns up to the park then the owner has to take his dog away. Another example, compare employer attitudes towards Chinese migrants as compared with Sub Saharan African migrants. Certainly anyone familiar with dogs knows that many small breeds are much intimidated by large dogs.

It happens all the time - people and animals having hangups about particular groups or individuals.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:03 am

Prejudice against some does not mean prejudice against all, a point that's so clearly evident that it shouldn't have to be said. It's a bonkers notion that prejudice against one type of entity means prejudice against all.

A simple example, a local groodle that gets aggressive with brown boxers. There's a local black boxer, no problem. But when a brown boxer turns up to the park then the owner has to take his dog away. Another example, compare employer attitudes towards Chinese migrants as compared with Sub Saharan African migrants. Certainly anyone familiar with dogs knows that many small breeds are much intimidated by large dogs.

It happens all the time - people and animals having hangups about particular groups or individuals.
Learned behaviour, not natural, and easily overcome.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:07 am
Sy Borg wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:03 am

Learned behaviour, not natural, and easily overcome.
Good luck with that one. The groodle owner has tried training and other measures, to no avail. Besides, comparing humans with dogs doesn't work because dogs are shaped by eugenics.

Early hominids struggled to compete with other large species. It's well known that competing species tend to be hostile towards one another, especially apex predators. In time, humans became so dominant that, in many places, they had no meaningful competition from other species. So they competed against each other. In these "human jungles", the kinds of emnities that would have been aimed at for competitor species were directed at rival human groups.

Even when there's no meaningful competition, there are often an exaggerated perceptions of competition or hangovers from historical conflicts. Now, with humanity's numbers and consumption being unsustainable, people are becoming more protective of their already-declining lifestyles, resulting in a resurgence of nationalism.

So it appears that it will take some major disasters to significantly thin humanity's ranks before racism is rendered moot.

Return to “Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream