Authors of Self-help Books, are they perfect?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Sculptor1

Re: Authors of Self-help Books, are they perfect?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sushan wrote: September 8th, 2021, 5:09 am
Sculptor1 wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 4:01 am As an outsider, you cannot know everyone.
There can be no advice from an atuhor that could perfectly help any other self, since they author is not that self but another.
You have a point. Advice should be tailor-made, and that requirement is hardly fulfilled by self-help books for all their intended audience. It is better for anyone to have a human mentor if possible, rather than reading hundreds of self-help books. So it is hard to recommend these books to anyone as all humans are different from each other, and though the problem is similar the acceptable solution can be different from person to person.
The other bit of advice I would like to offer is that you should never trust a book title with an inappropriate APOSTROPHE. This indecates a failure of basic knowledge and a lack of adequate editorial control.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 8th, 2021, 6:40 am
Sushan wrote: September 8th, 2021, 5:09 am
Sculptor1 wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 4:01 am As an outsider, you cannot know everyone.
There can be no advice from an atuhor that could perfectly help any other self, since they author is not that self but another.
You have a point. Advice should be tailor-made, and that requirement is hardly fulfilled by self-help books for all their intended audience. It is better for anyone to have a human mentor if possible, rather than reading hundreds of self-help books. So it is hard to recommend these books to anyone as all humans are different from each other, and though the problem is similar the acceptable solution can be different from person to person.
The other bit of advice I would like to offer is that you should never trust a book title with an inappropriate APOSTROPHE. This indecates a failure of basic knowledge and a lack of adequate editorial control.
Undergoing editorial work is mandatory and important for a book. I agree. And I agree that the use of apostrophe in the topic (But's) is wrong as well. But I honestly believe that the author wanted the reader to get the word as 'but', but not as 'butt', by simply thinking that the author has done a mistake by missing a 't'. This is a reasonable thought since the common slang which rhymes with this title uses 'butt', not 'but'. So I do not think we have to be rude to judge the book because of an apostrophe.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: September 1st, 2021, 12:22 am This topic is about the September 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

I think that people who write these self-help books have had experiences which have made them wiser or maybe they have put in a great deal of study into human behavior and they think that their experiences can actually help guide a few people in similar dilemmas.

What makes someone think that their life is so perfect that they can tell others how to live theirs? And how is it that they are so confident about what they need to do in a given situation when most of us are assailed by doubts and uncertainties? These authors of self-help books, are they perfect?
If an author doesn't have the professional qualification to write such a book but does it nevertheless, how might one call this? Stubbornness? Sophomoric? Business acumen?
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:28 am
Sushan wrote: September 1st, 2021, 12:22 am This topic is about the September 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

I think that people who write these self-help books have had experiences which have made them wiser or maybe they have put in a great deal of study into human behavior and they think that their experiences can actually help guide a few people in similar dilemmas.

What makes someone think that their life is so perfect that they can tell others how to live theirs? And how is it that they are so confident about what they need to do in a given situation when most of us are assailed by doubts and uncertainties? These authors of self-help books, are they perfect?
If an author doesn't have the professional qualification to write such a book but does it nevertheless, how might one call this? Stubbornness? Sophomoric? Business acumen?
Unlike the educational books which are related to a specific profession, this type of self-help books cannot be judged by the author having specific qualifications. So the judging can be subjective but never objective. Mostly it can be taken as business acumen since we see many want to be successful, but are in loss of plans. So this sort of books can be sold easily. And the ego of the author must be playing a big role, because becoming successful is one thing. But to advice others depending on one's achievements a special level of courage as well as ego is necessary, as per my opinion.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: September 20th, 2021, 1:50 am
stevie wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:28 am

Unlike the educational books which are related to a specific profession, this type of self-help books cannot be judged by the author having specific qualifications. So the judging can be subjective but never objective. ...
Of course objectively and legally everbody may write books about things they have no clue about. Nevertheless giving psychological or medical advice with books should be based on corresponding professional qualification because of the high risk of causing harm through unprofessional advice in these areas.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
duanne1947
New Trial Member

Post by duanne1947 »

As a new author expressing my experience of self-development that overlaps the genre of leadership and change processes within organizations, the reflection of somatic reality vs. telling about reality, became a new roadmap for understanding the essence of identity. Identity reflects destiny?
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

duanne1947 wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 10:39 am As a new author expressing my experience of self-development that overlaps the genre of leadership and change processes within organizations, the reflection of somatic reality vs. telling about reality, became a new roadmap for understanding the essence of identity. Identity reflects destiny?
I am not sure whether I understand what you are trying to say. Please explain what is the difference between this somatic reality and telling about reality? As far as I understand you refer to the bodily feeling of reality. And if so how that can be different from what someone tells as reality?

In this self-help genre the authors can tell about success when the true success is quite different and the road map for that is different too from what they show us. They may be telling that from their own experiences, yet it can be a simple somatic reality rather than the actual thing when it comes to application, due to various reasons. I think that is what you are saying here. Sorry if I misunderstood.

– William James
Anand_Haqq

Post by Anand_Haqq »

. There is no need to improve yourself. All self-improvement is a way to hell. All efforts to make something, somebody out of yourself, something of an ideal, are going to create more and more madness. Ideals are the base of all madness, and the whole humanity is neurotic because of too many ideals.

. Animals are not neurotic because they don't have any ideals. Trees are not neurotic because they don't have any ideals. They are not trying to become somebody else. They are simply enjoying whatsoever they are.

. So, books about self improvement; self help are just jargon.

. They don't help you; it is called "self help" for the sake of name; they are not based on reality. Rather, they create a pseudo-reality upon Man.

. They only harm you, because they are based upon the most fallacious idea that man has ever been able to create, out of his cunningness : You are not good the way you are.

. And this idea has been injected to you since your very birth ... by the parents; by the teachers; by the priest; by the pundit; by the politicians; by the society.

. Hence, guilt is born; and all the social conflicts that will guide you throughout your whole Life.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Anand_Haqq wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:49 pm . There is no need to improve yourself. All self-improvement is a way to hell. All efforts to make something, somebody out of yourself, something of an ideal, are going to create more and more madness. Ideals are the base of all madness, and the whole humanity is neurotic because of too many ideals.

. Animals are not neurotic because they don't have any ideals. Trees are not neurotic because they don't have any ideals. They are not trying to become somebody else. They are simply enjoying whatsoever they are.

. They don't help you; it is called "self help" for the sake of name; they are not based on reality. Rather, they create a pseudo-reality upon Man.

. They only harm you, because they are based upon the most fallacious idea that man has ever been able to create, out of his cunningness : You are not good the way you are.

. And this idea has been injected to you since your very birth ... by the parents; by the teachers; by the priest; by the pundit; by the politicians; by the society.

. Hence, guilt is born; and all the social conflicts that will guide you throughout your whole Life.
Could be. Depends on how you use it. The key to Self Help is the Self, not the Help. If one tries to incorporate what a book promotes in the absence of a problem, I agree it is more likely to cause a worsening than an improvement.

If you decide you have a problem first, then seeking advice on solving it is both advisable and logical. The source of that advice can vary, as can the quality and utility. But books don't strike me as being particularly likely to be the best, nor worst sources.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Anand_Haqq wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:49 pm . There is no need to improve yourself. All self-improvement is a way to hell. All efforts to make something, somebody out of yourself, something of an ideal, are going to create more and more madness. Ideals are the base of all madness, and the whole humanity is neurotic because of too many ideals.

Thank you for your insightful comments. I agree with you to some extent that many ideals can impose unrealistic expectations on individuals, which in turn can lead to feelings of guilt and societal conflicts. However, I would argue that not all self-help or self-improvement literature contributes to this pattern.

Instead of viewing self-help books as a one-size-fits-all instruction manual for life, we could consider them as a collection of advice, techniques, and perspectives from diverse individuals who have navigated their own unique life challenges. The authors of these books are likely not claiming to be perfect, but rather sharing the knowledge they've gathered from their personal experiences and studies.

I agree, we shouldn't be made to feel that we're not good enough as we are. However, the desire for self-improvement doesn't necessarily come from a place of feeling "not good enough." It can stem from a genuine interest in personal growth, curiosity, and the desire to better handle life's challenges.

Even animals and trees, as you mentioned, do undergo changes and adapt to their surroundings for survival and growth. If humans, being part of the natural world, also seek growth and adaptation through self-improvement, would that still be considered neurotic?

While it's crucial to question the motives and credibility of these books, it's equally important not to dismiss them entirely, as they can offer valuable insights and tools for those seeking guidance. However, it's always up to the reader to discern what resonates with them and what doesn't. In the end, any form of advice—whether it's from a book or a person—should serve to supplement, not dictate, our personal journey.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: September 29th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Could be. Depends on how you use it. The key to Self Help is the Self, not the Help. If one tries to incorporate what a book promotes in the absence of a problem, I agree it is more likely to cause a worsening than an improvement.

If you decide you have a problem first, then seeking advice on solving it is both advisable and logical. The source of that advice can vary, as can the quality and utility. But books don't strike me as being particularly likely to be the best, nor worst sources.
I appreciate your thoughts. I believe you've highlighted a key aspect of the self-help debate: context. Indeed, the "self" in self-help is an important factor that sometimes gets overlooked. The value and effectiveness of these books largely depend on the individual reader's situation, personal needs, and approach to integrating the information.

Not every piece of advice will be universally applicable or beneficial. It's about identifying your challenges, understanding your context, and then seeking out and applying the resources that resonate with you. This process is indeed a subjective one, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach. It's true that these books might not always provide the 'best' advice, but they can often serve as a starting point, or as additional resources for those seeking to improve or change certain aspects of their lives.

The concept of self-improvement shouldn't necessarily be associated with the belief that "You are not good the way you are," as Anand_Haqq mentioned. Instead, it can be seen as a desire to grow and adapt to the ever-changing circumstances of life. Like any tool, self-help books can be used or misused depending on the individual and their context.

Therefore, self-help books, despite their limitations and potential misuses, can still provide valuable insights for some. It is up to the individual to discern, adapt, and apply the information in a way that best suits their situation and respects their inherent worthiness. What are your thoughts?

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: July 15th, 2023, 5:24 am

I appreciate your thoughts. I believe you've highlighted a key aspect of the self-help debate: context. Indeed, the "self" in self-help is an important factor that sometimes gets overlooked. The value and effectiveness of these books largely depend on the individual reader's situation, personal needs, and approach to integrating the information.

Not every piece of advice will be universally applicable or beneficial. It's about identifying your challenges, understanding your context, and then seeking out and applying the resources that resonate with you. This process is indeed a subjective one, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach. It's true that these books might not always provide the 'best' advice, but they can often serve as a starting point, or as additional resources for those seeking to improve or change certain aspects of their lives.

The concept of self-improvement shouldn't necessarily be associated with the belief that "You are not good the way you are," as Anand_Haqq mentioned. Instead, it can be seen as a desire to grow and adapt to the ever-changing circumstances of life. Like any tool, self-help books can be used or misused depending on the individual and their context.

Therefore, self-help books, despite their limitations and potential misuses, can still provide valuable insights for some. It is up to the individual to discern, adapt, and apply the information in a way that best suits their situation and respects their inherent worthiness. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are there are three areas where a Self Help book can play a positive role. First is the one everyone assumes they perform, namely providing a new, previously unknown (to the reader) "insight" that changes the playing field and thus the reader travels down a new path to a better situation. These are in my experience the least common (not the most). The second is to review numerous possible solutions, most of which most people are familiar with and an argument why most of these don't work and this one will work. Lastly, there are the cheerleader books where either the correct path is either obvious or should be obvious but difficult to complete psychologically, so the advice takes the form of encouragement to complete what you already know to be the solution.
"As usual... it depends."
Nancy004
Premium Member

Post by Nancy004 »

Well, self-help book authors aren't claiming to be perfect. They've usually gone through their own struggles and gained wisdom from them. They might have studied human behavior or done a lot of research to help others facing similar issues. It's not about having a perfect life, but about sharing what they've learned and offering guidance. Confidence comes from a mix of personal experiences and understanding. But hey, it's important for readers to take the advice with a grain of salt and adapt it to their own situations. At the end of the day, we're all on our own unique journeys.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Nancy004 wrote: July 16th, 2023, 2:42 pm Well, self-help book authors aren't claiming to be perfect. They've usually gone through their own struggles and gained wisdom from them. They might have studied human behavior or done a lot of research to help others facing similar issues. It's not about having a perfect life, but about sharing what they've learned and offering guidance. Confidence comes from a mix of personal experiences and understanding. But hey, it's important for readers to take the advice with a grain of salt and adapt it to their own situations. At the end of the day, we're all on our own unique journeys.
I appreciate your insights. I couldn't agree more. The primary goal of self-help authors isn't to assert that they have achieved perfection, but rather, they aim to share valuable life lessons drawn from their own experiences or research. Indeed, these experiences, often encompassing struggles and difficulties, are what provides them the raw material to write these books.

However, I believe it's equally important to address the potential pitfalls of this genre. Self-help books, despite their well-intended advice, can sometimes foster the illusion that there's a "one-size-fits-all" solution to complex personal and social problems. Moreover, the expectation to follow someone else's path to success can lead readers to devalue their own unique journeys, strengths, and solutions. This concern isn't a critique of the authors themselves, but rather a point of consideration for readers.

As for the perceived confidence of these authors, I concur with your thought that it's a blend of their personal experiences and understanding. However, it could also be a reflection of their commitment to their ideas and beliefs, rather than an indicator of them having solved all their life's problems.

Indeed, as you rightly pointed out, each reader must interpret and apply the advice in a way that best fits their own unique circumstances. This approach underlines the significance of personal wisdom and discernment in self-improvement. What do others think about this? Can the reliance on self-help books sometimes lead us to overlook our own understanding and potential solutions?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: July 15th, 2023, 2:50 pm
Sushan wrote: July 15th, 2023, 5:24 am

My thoughts are there are three areas where a Self Help book can play a positive role. First is the one everyone assumes they perform, namely providing a new, previously unknown (to the reader) "insight" that changes the playing field and thus the reader travels down a new path to a better situation. These are in my experience the least common (not the most). The second is to review numerous possible solutions, most of which most people are familiar with and an argument why most of these don't work and this one will work. Lastly, there are the cheerleader books where either the correct path is either obvious or should be obvious but difficult to complete psychologically, so the advice takes the form of encouragement to complete what you already know to be the solution.
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I find your categorization of self-help books quite interesting - it provides a multifaceted view of the genre.

I agree with your first point that sometimes self-help books can provide new insights, ones that readers may not have previously considered. However, as you've rightly pointed out, these 'aha' moments might not be as frequent as we might imagine.

The second category you proposed - books that critically examine various solutions - I believe these can be quite valuable as well. Such books do more than just present a 'solution'; they create a space for readers to consider different options and perspectives, fostering critical thinking.

The third type, the 'cheerleader' books, can indeed play a crucial role when readers already know what they should do but are struggling to take action. Sometimes, a dose of external encouragement or a fresh perspective can be just what's needed to help someone move forward.

What's key here is understanding that the effectiveness of these books is inherently tied to the reader's individual context, mindset, and needs at that specific point in their life. Therefore, what proves to be beneficial advice to one reader may not resonate with another. The real challenge is, perhaps, being able to discern what advice is relevant and useful to one's own situation. And above all, to remember that self-improvement doesn't equate to self-deprecation.

I'm interested in hearing more perspectives. How have others navigated the vast world of self-help literature? And what impact has it had on your lives?

– William James

Return to “If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream