Do words actually carry a big impact?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Do words actually carry a big impact?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the October 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W Forgey

Watch your spoken and body language. Reassure without patronizing, and let nothing that you say or do cause him increased distress.
(Location 944 - Kindle version)

The author says to be careful about what you say when you manage a patient, despite his/her actual condition. Causing panic in the patient can be a disadvantage, I agree, but at the same time I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.

What do you think? Should we keep the patient blind just to avoid him/her getting panicked, or should we reveal the truth no matter how hard it is? Do words have an actual impact on the outcome of the patient?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Re: Do words actually carry a big impact?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:02 am This topic is about the October 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W Forgey

Watch your spoken and body language. Reassure without patronizing, and let nothing that you say or do cause him increased distress.

The author says to be careful about what you say when you manage a patient, despite his/her actual condition. Causing panic in the patient can be a disadvantage, I agree, but at the same time I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.

What do you think? Should we keep the patient blind just to avoid him/her getting panicked, or should we reveal the truth no matter how hard it is? Do words have an actual impact on the outcome of the patient?
There is absolutely no doubt that unlike the physical sciences, the practice of medicine is an art. You are referring to a significant portion of that art. The most obvious proof of this is the placebo effect.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 2:36 pm
Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:02 am This topic is about the October 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W Forgey

There is absolutely no doubt that unlike the physical sciences, the practice of medicine is an art. You are referring to a significant portion of that art. The most obvious proof of this is the placebo effect.
Placebo effect depends on the beliefs of the patients. When patients trust their care givers and the medicine that they get, there is a tendency for them to get better even with an irrelevant treatment. But that is not a certain thing, and also cannot be proven objectively, though we consider that when we conduct researches. So if one is trying to go in that pathway calming and soothing words will have an impact as they will build faith in the patient.

But those words has to be reasonable, and it is better if they can be honest as well. A patient with a heavily bleeding massive injury will know that he is in a dangerous situation. Trying to calm down such a patient with words may lead him to think that he is going to die, and that is why the caregiver is trying to sooth him, and that may even panic him.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: October 10th, 2021, 11:44 am

Placebo effect depends on the beliefs of the patients. When patients trust their care givers and the medicine that they get, there is a tendency for them to get better even with an irrelevant treatment. But that is not a certain thing, and also cannot be proven objectively, though we consider that when we conduct researches. So if one is trying to go in that pathway calming and soothing words will have an impact as they will build faith in the patient.

But those words has to be reasonable, and it is better if they can be honest as well. A patient with a heavily bleeding massive injury will know that he is in a dangerous situation. Trying to calm down such a patient with words may lead him to think that he is going to die, and that is why the caregiver is trying to sooth him, and that may even panic him.
Several things:

First the placebo effect is real and been demonstrated objectively in research studies. Second, the placebo effect can even be documented when the patient is told they are receiving a sugar pill.

More to the actual point, communicating with patients, I agree with you that the effects of communication styles is small, thus they are less of an effect when the medical situation is serious and large when the patient is healthy. Obviously the latter situation is much more frequent than the former.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: October 10th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Several things:

First the placebo effect is real and been demonstrated objectively in research studies. Second, the placebo effect can even be documented when the patient is told they are receiving a sugar pill.

More to the actual point, communicating with patients, I agree with you that the effects of communication styles is small, thus they are less of an effect when the medical situation is serious and large when the patient is healthy. Obviously the latter situation is much more frequent than the former.
Presence of placebo effect is real. But I do not think of it as a measurable or predictable thing. People are different from each other, so is the placebo effect since that has lot to do with the mental component.

I am not saying that communication is less effective. Medical personnel are tested for their polite conversing ability with patients for a reason. A patient must be felt reassured when a medical professional is caring for him. But I think that conversation should only contain the truth, and revealing that truth with the least negative effect to the patient is the real skill that any medical professional should develop.

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: October 14th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Several things:

Presence of placebo effect is real. But I do not think of it as a measurable or predictable thing. People are different from each other, so is the placebo effect since that has lot to do with the mental component.

I am not saying that communication is less effective. Medical personnel are tested for their polite conversing ability with patients for a reason. A patient must be felt reassured when a medical professional is caring for him. But I think that conversation should only contain the truth, and revealing that truth with the least negative effect to the patient is the real skill that any medical professional should develop.
Well we are in agreement that one should never lie to a patient. Though an experienced clinician can easily deliver two truthful yet entirely opposite sounding summaries of identical information.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Communications between a medic and a patient is a topic in the headlines in the guise of the effectiveness or otherwise of telephone conversations with the GP as opposed to face to face conversations. Each party has to be pretty good at explicit language, besides reassurance.

Telephone conversations need special skills on the parts of both medic and the patient. While requests for repeat prescriptions are feasible over the phone, unusual or more complex problems are not suited to telephone appointments. Unfortunately GPs are too overloaded to see all patients in the body.

The placebo effect is true. However the placebo effect is not to be confused with the platitudes effect.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: October 15th, 2021, 5:16 am Communications between a medic and a patient is a topic in the headlines in the guise of the effectiveness or otherwise of telephone conversations with the GP as opposed to face to face conversations. Each party has to be pretty good at explicit language, besides reassurance.

Telephone conversations need special skills on the parts of both medic and the patient. While requests for repeat prescriptions are feasible over the phone, unusual or more complex problems are not suited to telephone appointments. Unfortunately GPs are too overloaded to see all patients in the body.

The placebo effect is true. However the placebo effect is not to be confused with the platitudes effect.
Two side issues to be aware of to address that topic accurately: first in the US you can bill a video visit the same as an in person visit, but a phone visit can't be. Second the whole point economically to virtual appointments is not having to pay ancillary staff and for office supplies for in office appointments. Obviously patients like the convenience and not paying a co-pay nor for childcare.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:44 am
Belindi wrote: October 15th, 2021, 5:16 am Communications between a medic and a patient is a topic in the headlines in the guise of the effectiveness or otherwise of telephone conversations with the GP as opposed to face to face conversations. Each party has to be pretty good at explicit language, besides reassurance.

Two side issues to be aware of to address that topic accurately: first in the US you can bill a video visit the same as an in person visit, but a phone visit can't be. Second the whole point economically to virtual appointments is not having to pay ancillary staff and for office supplies for in office appointments. Obviously patients like the convenience and not paying a co-pay nor for childcare.
Here in the UK virtual appointments are good for patients and medics as you describe, except for billing complications that we don't have with the National Health Service. Video appointments would be better than telephone appointments because the two people can see each others' gesticulations and other body language and so don't have to rely nearly as much on explicit vocabularies and not having a foreign accent or good diction.Patients at a video consultation would also be able to view the medical notes along with the medic.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:02 am ...I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.
OK, so that's what you think. But what does the patient think, do you think? I think your sub-topic here is patient-care, and that centres on the patient, and what they think or feel, not what you, the carer (?), might think? 🤔

This seems to me to evoke echoes of empathy, when it is described as "not how you would feel in their situation, but how they feel in their situation".

In this 👆 sense, I don't think it matters what you think is important?

But let's be fair, and not forget that what we're talking about here is the carer trying to approach telepathy, to know what the patient thinks and feels, so that they might care for the patient better. And telepathy is not yet among the skills taught to medical carers. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:41 am
Sushan wrote: October 14th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Several things:

Well we are in agreement that one should never lie to a patient. Though an experienced clinician can easily deliver two truthful yet entirely opposite sounding summaries of identical information.
In vague and grey situations the tone of the voice of the clinician will give either reassurance or terror to the patient with the equal mmessage. When the clinician really cannot say whether the patient is in a critical stage or not, then it is fair enough to reassure the patient. But, yes, as soon as when the real situation is understood I think it is fair and ethical to inform it to the patient as well.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

A platitude is a trite, meaningless, or prosaic statement, often used as a thought-terminating cliché, aimed at quelling social, emotional, or cognitive unease.[1] The statement may be true, but its meaning has been lost due to its excessive use.
Wikipidea

I do not think it is suitable to use platitudes in medical conversations, and also I do not think clinicians do so unless they are cruel enough to either get rid of the patients or to show that they are too busy.

Telephone conversations should be limited to mere explanations and simple prescriptions. But for conversations that have an emotional part, it definitely should be a face to face communication, because face is advance in showing emotions than the voice.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

In the economical as well as the management aaspects you have pointed out few important things. Yes, it is true that cost can be cut by phone visits and video visits when in person attendance is not essentially required. And it is time saving for the patient as well. This is commonly used in the current covid situation to avoid unnecessary exposure to the public and it has been quite successful. Nowadays the technology is improved and I do not see a fault in using the advance technology even in patient consultation appropriately.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Belindi wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:59 am

Here in the UK virtual appointments are good for patients and medics as you describe, except for billing complications that we don't have with the National Health Service. Video appointments would be better than telephone appointments because the two people can see each others' gesticulations and other body language and so don't have to rely nearly as much on explicit vocabularies and not having a foreign accent or good diction.Patients at a video consultation would also be able to view the medical notes along with the medic.
In addition to that it is easy for the clinician to understand the patient's condition when he/she actually (or via video) seeing the patient rather than listening to him/her over the phone. Patient may say that "I am having pain". But the face will give away the severity of the condition which won't be easily given away by the voice. Personal attendance is the best. But wherever applicable video consultations are acceptable as well.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 17th, 2021, 9:05 am
Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:02 am ...I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.
OK, so that's what you think. But what does the patient think, do you think? I think your sub-topic here is patient-care, and that centres on the patient, and what they think or feel, not what you, the carer (?), might think? 🤔

This seems to me to evoke echoes of empathy, when it is described as "not how you would feel in their situation, but how they feel in their situation".

In this 👆 sense, I don't think it matters what you think is important?

But let's be fair, and not forget that what we're talking about here is the carer trying to approach telepathy, to know what the patient thinks and feels, so that they might care for the patient better. And telepathy is not yet among the skills taught to medical carers. 😉
I do not think telepathy is necessary for a human to understand another human being. All of us are happy to hear good news. Even in a critical situation we love to hear that we will be saved and the injuries are not too bad.

Telling a bad news is hard for the clinician as well. And that is why it is being taught and trained as a skill by all clinicians. Clinicians go through all these trouble because the right thing is to deliver the truth to the patient. What can be gained by giving a patient false hopes?

– William James

Return to “The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream