Do words actually carry a big impact?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey
Memaw18

Re: Do words actually carry a big impact?

Post by Memaw18 »

I'm a social worker. For me, It depends. Usually, you will see if the patient is best to know what is the truth even it hurts. Sometimes it's even best to use words that really made them feel the weight of the situation to realize what is happening. However, there are times some patients can be triggered with words and actions. It is best to let them know using situations that are related to the situation they were in.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Memaw18 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 12:44 am I'm a social worker. For me, It depends. Usually, you will see if the patient is best to know what is the truth even it hurts. Sometimes it's even best to use words that really made them feel the weight of the situation to realize what is happening. However, there are times some patients can be triggered with words and actions. It is best to let them know using situations that are related to the situation they were in.
Yes! The core issue of this discussion is the people-skills of the medical practitioner dealing with the patient. Some patients are best served by telling them the whole, unvarnished, truth, while other patients are best served by withholding or moderating the truth. It's a judgement call on behalf of the medical practitioner. There is no one answer that fits all patients.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 8th, 2021, 8:24 am
Memaw18 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 12:44 am I'm a social worker. For me, It depends. Usually, you will see if the patient is best to know what is the truth even it hurts. Sometimes it's even best to use words that really made them feel the weight of the situation to realize what is happening. However, there are times some patients can be triggered with words and actions. It is best to let them know using situations that are related to the situation they were in.
Yes! The core issue of this discussion is the people-skills of the medical practitioner dealing with the patient. Some patients are best served by telling them the whole, unvarnished, truth, while other patients are best served by withholding or moderating the truth. It's a judgement call on behalf of the medical practitioner. There is no one answer that fits all patients.
Speaking of the truth, the reality is that the practitioner has a preferred plan of action as well as less preferred options. They are going to make the case for why they think that one is the best way to go. This can be accomplished by an experienced doc while telling the whole truth to all patients.

Thus lying or hiding the truth don't need to be options.
"As usual... it depends."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sushan wrote: October 19th, 2021, 5:03 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 17th, 2021, 9:05 am
Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:02 am ...I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.
OK, so that's what you think. But what does the patient think, do you think? I think your sub-topic here is patient-care, and that centres on the patient, and what they think or feel, not what you, the carer (?), might think? 🤔

This seems to me to evoke echoes of empathy, when it is described as "not how you would feel in their situation, but how they feel in their situation".

In this 👆 sense, I don't think it matters what you think is important?

But let's be fair, and not forget that what we're talking about here is the carer trying to approach telepathy, to know what the patient thinks and feels, so that they might care for the patient better. And telepathy is not yet among the skills taught to medical carers. 😉
I do not think telepathy is necessary for a human to understand another human being. All of us are happy to hear good news. Even in a critical situation we love to hear that we will be saved and the injuries are not too bad.

Telling a bad news is hard for the clinician as well. And that is why it is being taught and trained as a skill by all clinicians. Clinicians go through all these trouble because the right thing is to deliver the truth to the patient. What can be gained by giving a patient false hopes?
I was about to skip this topic as the title is such a generalized question as to be meaningless, like "Should I stay or should I go?" It transpires that you referring to word from a clinician to his patient. I doubt if some clinician can satisfy you with a definitive answer. Suppose you pose the same question to your wife. What would you expect her to say?

"What can be gained by giving a patient false hopes?" What can you gained by giving him no hope? Both cases would have impact, which serves to answer your titled question, that it actually carries a big impact. In the final analysis, the answer depends on the word, the context, the speaker, the listener, and the specific circumstance. The answer is No if you have been taken to be a liar.
not a thing

Post by not a thing »

Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:02 am Please check it, anger in you, makes physically poisen in your blood. Streess is phyisical pain, not imaginated. When you feel good, ok, your body phisically work at ease, makes good stuff for blood, imune system,.... so placebo works if this happen. If you comfort someone, good physicall stuff for body - ti makes is helpfull for body to defend, regenerate.

Real story for how you think, talk maybe affect your body.
There is known story of british man who were surounded - he and his man, by massive japanese troops, japanese didn know they were there... People act differently, they want to push by force out, "even if we dont make it we take some enemy out" this real man does. From top commander, be quite, make yourself a tea. Wait, Tea ?? After 20h waiting to die, this man was woken up, "gear up our reconniasance found whole through enemy lines. They all survive. If they would fight it was known after, they would shorly die. This man was diagnosed with cancer after war at his 60s, after diagnosed he come home and make himself a tea. He beat cancer. In interview he sad, "i learned in life, during war, nature ask you if you can not do anything please do not do anything, make yourself stronger, wait for the moment, when it comes then do everything you got. I dont know if this helped me to beat cancer, but i believe so. "
not a thing

Post by not a thing »

Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:02 am Words are just voices, but we are making a meaning out of this voices. Meaning in our heads, we all agree ?, makes whole world in us, so be sure words has big imapacts. Different People makes different meaning out of Words, say to women motocycle Rocket, or say to Man motocycle Rocket, for women is fast, for Man is blody fast.
AmosMorrison

Post by AmosMorrison »

Words carry an immense impact on our day-to-day conversations. Linguists study how language affects how we and others view the world, and they try to figure out what words and phrases unintentionally influence us. According to a study, even minor discrepancies in language usage can correspond to speakers' biased ideas. There is emotional power in the words we speak. Each phrase we use has the potential to have a massive impact. At first look, a comment from a manager or boss may appear insignificant. Never, however, consider words to be insignificant. Instead, consider them to be powerful. Words have the power to create or pull down. They can either motivate or demotivate. It's sometimes wiser not to say anything at all. If you can't say something pleasant, don't say anything, I was taught.
[url=http://drugstore-catalog.com/]drugstore-catalog.com[/url]

Return to “The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream