Being a prepper, is it good or bad?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Being a prepper, is it good or bad?

Post by Sy Borg »

detail wrote: March 16th, 2022, 5:24 pmOne should not despise people for beeing prepared by storing food reserves and even warm clothings for days of calamity.
Agreed. What other people do to prep is not my business. Good on 'em.

Timing is important in all things. Pull the trigger too early and you incur opportunity costs. Too late and you miss the chance. Not sure how prepping would have helped people in Ukraine who are under fire. Anyone with a bomb shelter would have a hard time defending it to ensure strangers don't barge in and cause over crowding and rapid loss of supplies. In that situation, where people are scrabbling for shelter and supplies, the owner of a shelter would need more than one person with guns and an ornery attitude to guard it.

Being a retiree, I would be loathe to fight to stock up my own supplies against young families with children. If everything really goes to hell, I've had a good run and would be willing to vacate the scene so the young may have the choice to survive in a ruined society/world or not.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

NeilWallace wrote: March 13th, 2022, 7:52 am How can the prepper tell that the insurance policy will pay out though? Or as I suspect would the insurance company state sorry under article 4.2.1 asteroid strike we are not entitled to pay out on your bow drill, camo gear, semi automatic machine gun premiums.
If the prepper is practicing 24/7 they are paying extremely high premiums for a dubious policy - when they could be using the opportunity cost to study philosophy say and realise they could be spending their time in other ways.
Up to the preppers I guess.
Well, one of the basic freedoms, is the freedom to make stupid decisions.
"As usual... it depends."
NeilWallace

Post by NeilWallace »

LuckyR wrote: March 18th, 2022, 1:36 am Well, one of the basic freedoms, is the freedom to make stupid decisions.
As long as these stupid decisions only affect you. If its Alex Jones style, "I've got 3 years supply of food, and then I will eat my neigbors to save my daughters" paranoia prepping then the state finds ways to limit these basic freedoms. Thankfully imho.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

NeilWallace wrote: March 24th, 2022, 12:44 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 18th, 2022, 1:36 am Well, one of the basic freedoms, is the freedom to make stupid decisions.
As long as these stupid decisions only affect you. If its Alex Jones style, "I've got 3 years supply of food, and then I will eat my neigbors to save my daughters" paranoia prepping then the state finds ways to limit these basic freedoms. Thankfully imho.
The state doesn't generally limit the talk (Mr Jones' speciality), rather they can limit the action.
"As usual... it depends."
NeilWallace

Post by NeilWallace »

LuckyR wrote: March 25th, 2022, 1:45 am The state doesn't generally limit the talk (Mr Jones' speciality), rather they can limit the action.
Jone's talk is limited by his Youtube channel being banned and hence his ability to get his message to a wider audience is severely restricted. "Prepping" can have a political connotation in USA. Its not so much the issue of people practicing with guns in the woods and storing food but a general mistrust in Government and the State that may be problematic particularly if said views contribute to the storming of the Congress.

So the question for me is if the word "prepping" just means practicing survival skills, or does it also include a general lack of faith or indeed antagonism towards the Government and State? The first a harmless excercise of basic freedoms, the second a more problematic belief.

Return to “The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey”

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream