Being a prepper, is it good or bad?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Being a prepper, is it good or bad?

Post by Sy Borg »

detail wrote: March 16th, 2022, 5:24 pmOne should not despise people for beeing prepared by storing food reserves and even warm clothings for days of calamity.
Agreed. What other people do to prep is not my business. Good on 'em.

Timing is important in all things. Pull the trigger too early and you incur opportunity costs. Too late and you miss the chance. Not sure how prepping would have helped people in Ukraine who are under fire. Anyone with a bomb shelter would have a hard time defending it to ensure strangers don't barge in and cause over crowding and rapid loss of supplies. In that situation, where people are scrabbling for shelter and supplies, the owner of a shelter would need more than one person with guns and an ornery attitude to guard it.

Being a retiree, I would be loathe to fight to stock up my own supplies against young families with children. If everything really goes to hell, I've had a good run and would be willing to vacate the scene so the young may have the choice to survive in a ruined society/world or not.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

NeilWallace wrote: March 13th, 2022, 7:52 am How can the prepper tell that the insurance policy will pay out though? Or as I suspect would the insurance company state sorry under article 4.2.1 asteroid strike we are not entitled to pay out on your bow drill, camo gear, semi automatic machine gun premiums.
If the prepper is practicing 24/7 they are paying extremely high premiums for a dubious policy - when they could be using the opportunity cost to study philosophy say and realise they could be spending their time in other ways.
Up to the preppers I guess.
Well, one of the basic freedoms, is the freedom to make stupid decisions.
"As usual... it depends."
NeilWallace

Post by NeilWallace »

LuckyR wrote: March 18th, 2022, 1:36 am Well, one of the basic freedoms, is the freedom to make stupid decisions.
As long as these stupid decisions only affect you. If its Alex Jones style, "I've got 3 years supply of food, and then I will eat my neigbors to save my daughters" paranoia prepping then the state finds ways to limit these basic freedoms. Thankfully imho.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

NeilWallace wrote: March 24th, 2022, 12:44 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 18th, 2022, 1:36 am Well, one of the basic freedoms, is the freedom to make stupid decisions.
As long as these stupid decisions only affect you. If its Alex Jones style, "I've got 3 years supply of food, and then I will eat my neigbors to save my daughters" paranoia prepping then the state finds ways to limit these basic freedoms. Thankfully imho.
The state doesn't generally limit the talk (Mr Jones' speciality), rather they can limit the action.
NeilWallace

Post by NeilWallace »

LuckyR wrote: March 25th, 2022, 1:45 am The state doesn't generally limit the talk (Mr Jones' speciality), rather they can limit the action.
Jone's talk is limited by his Youtube channel being banned and hence his ability to get his message to a wider audience is severely restricted. "Prepping" can have a political connotation in USA. Its not so much the issue of people practicing with guns in the woods and storing food but a general mistrust in Government and the State that may be problematic particularly if said views contribute to the storming of the Congress.

So the question for me is if the word "prepping" just means practicing survival skills, or does it also include a general lack of faith or indeed antagonism towards the Government and State? The first a harmless excercise of basic freedoms, the second a more problematic belief.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

NeilWallace wrote: March 11th, 2022, 10:18 pm
Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:04 am What do you think? Is it good to be a prepper or not?
Having a few cupboards somewhere full of tinned food is probably not a bad idea.

However, the prepper tends to make prepping a mode of life and there is a degree of paranoia to the enterprise - the odds of a catastrophe are alot lower than they assume.

This is because the nature of the catastrophe has to fall within certain parameters.

Modern economies are built to withstand severe shock and can continue to function in a civilised manner even if there is rationing, war, covid, etc.
In severe war zones - there is often external help within days Red Cross etc which makes prepping pointless. The individual has other options - go to a place where the crisis is not happening for example.

Hence the disaster has to be extremely bad, global for prepping to make sense.

However, prepping is pointless if the disaster is too catastrophic, A severe nuclear war, mile long asteroid strike etc, some form of incurable virus etc. because civilisation is now in a irretrevable situation and whether you have some tins, and can make a fire from branches is probably going to be irrelevent.

Hence prepping has to fall with in an event that is extremely bad, worse than a severe war, but not as bad as an asteroid strike.

Such events, and I am struggling to picture one - are presumably very unlikely.

But as a hobby and self conceited I don't need the government because I can trap a squirrel approach it is probably as harmless as plenty other occupations.
You've made some interesting points about the potential benefits and drawbacks of prepping. It seems that the key to approaching this issue lies in finding a balance between being prepared and being overly paranoid.

One could argue that having a basic level of preparedness for emergencies is prudent, such as having a first-aid kit, a few days' worth of non-perishable food, and some water on hand. This level of preparedness could be helpful in a variety of situations, from natural disasters to temporary disruptions in the supply chain.

On the other hand, devoting excessive time, energy, and resources to prepping for highly unlikely catastrophic scenarios may not be the best use of one's resources. Instead, focusing on building community resilience, fostering social connections, and developing skills that could be useful in a range of situations might be a more constructive approach.

In essence, while it is important to be reasonably prepared for emergencies, obsessing over highly unlikely catastrophic events might be counterproductive. A balanced approach that combines preparedness with a focus on community and personal growth could be a more effective strategy in navigating the uncertainties of life. This way, individuals can feel secure without falling into the trap of paranoia, and they can contribute to the overall well-being of their communities.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: March 13th, 2022, 2:54 am
Sushan wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:04 am What do you think? Is it good to be a prepper or not?
Having a few cupboards somewhere full of tinned food is probably not a bad idea.

However, the prepper tends to make prepping a mode of life and there is a degree of paranoia to the enterprise - the odds of a catastrophe are alot lower than they assume.

This is because the nature of the catastrophe has to fall within certain parameters.

Modern economies are built to withstand severe shock and can continue to function in a civilised manner even if there is rationing, war, covid, etc.
In severe war zones - there is often external help within days Red Cross etc which makes prepping pointless. The individual has other options - go to a place where the crisis is not happening for example.

However, prepping is pointless if the disaster is too catastrophic, A severe nuclear war, mile long asteroid strike etc, some form of incurable virus etc. because civilisation is now in a irretrevable situation and whether you have some tins, and can make a fire from branches is probably going to be irrelevent.

Hence prepping has to fall with in an event that is extremely bad, worse than a severe war, but not as bad as an asteroid strike.

But as a hobby and self conceited I don't need the government because I can trap a squirrel approach it is probably as harmless as plenty other occupations.
All true, but there is another issue you are not mentioning, namely that of peace of mind. Sort of like fire insurance. You don't need to suffer a fire to benefit, you get the knowledge that you're covered even if you never make a claim.
You raise an interesting point about the peace of mind that prepping can provide. Indeed, for some individuals, knowing that they are prepared for various emergencies or disasters can be a source of comfort and security, much like having insurance.

However, it's important to strike a balance between seeking peace of mind and becoming overly consumed by potential catastrophes. If prepping becomes an all-encompassing way of life or generates significant anxiety and stress, it might be worth reassessing one's approach.

One way to achieve this balance could be to focus on practical preparedness measures that can be useful in a variety of situations, rather than concentrating solely on rare, catastrophic events. This may include learning first aid, maintaining a well-stocked emergency kit, and developing a family emergency plan.

By focusing on practical preparedness, individuals can still derive a sense of security without becoming overly preoccupied with unlikely scenarios. Additionally, this approach can foster a sense of community and shared responsibility, as neighbors and friends can collaborate on preparedness efforts and support each other during challenging times
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

NeilWallace wrote: March 13th, 2022, 7:52 am How can the prepper tell that the insurance policy will pay out though? Or as I suspect would the insurance company state sorry under article 4.2.1 asteroid strike we are not entitled to pay out on your bow drill, camo gear, semi automatic machine gun premiums.
If the prepper is practicing 24/7 they are paying extremely high premiums for a dubious policy - when they could be using the opportunity cost to study philosophy say and realise they could be spending their time in other ways.
You bring up an interesting analogy comparing prepping to an insurance policy with uncertain payouts. It is true that the time and resources invested in prepping might be seen as an opportunity cost that could be used for other pursuits, such as studying philosophy, as you mentioned.

The decision to be a prepper ultimately comes down to personal values and priorities. For some, the sense of security and preparedness they gain from prepping outweighs the potential opportunity costs. For others, they may find greater fulfillment in allocating their time and resources to other endeavors.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

detail wrote: March 16th, 2022, 5:24 pm Well it's about tchernobyl, corona, the war in the ukraine. To have an access to food reserves can be advantageous and even save your life. One should not despise people for beeing prepared by storing food reserves and even warm clothings for days of calamity. This could happen to us all. A prepper is just a prepared person for incidents , that most of the people think they are unlikely.
I agree that preparedness can be beneficial in certain situations, such as the examples you provided. Having access to food reserves, warm clothing, and other essential supplies can indeed make a significant difference during emergencies or disasters.

It is important to acknowledge that being prepared does not necessarily mean being paranoid or overly fixated on worst-case scenarios. A moderate level of preparedness can be a practical and responsible approach to ensure personal and family safety during unexpected events.

– William James
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:18 am
LuckyR wrote: March 13th, 2022, 2:54 am

All true, but there is another issue you are not mentioning, namely that of peace of mind. Sort of like fire insurance. You don't need to suffer a fire to benefit, you get the knowledge that you're covered even if you never make a claim.
You raise an interesting point about the peace of mind that prepping can provide. Indeed, for some individuals, knowing that they are prepared for various emergencies or disasters can be a source of comfort and security, much like having insurance.

However, it's important to strike a balance between seeking peace of mind and becoming overly consumed by potential catastrophes. If prepping becomes an all-encompassing way of life or generates significant anxiety and stress, it might be worth reassessing one's approach.

One way to achieve this balance could be to focus on practical preparedness measures that can be useful in a variety of situations, rather than concentrating solely on rare, catastrophic events. This may include learning first aid, maintaining a well-stocked emergency kit, and developing a family emergency plan.

By focusing on practical preparedness, individuals can still derive a sense of security without becoming overly preoccupied with unlikely scenarios. Additionally, this approach can foster a sense of community and shared responsibility, as neighbors and friends can collaborate on preparedness efforts and support each other during challenging times
You've got it backwards. Being prepared doesn't cause stress, it is a reaction to stress. I agree it is better to not be stressed (and I generally am not, by nature). But what about the guy who is stress prone? I agree with you that for the already stressed, they should explore the source of their stress and address the most likely source of danger (which is unlikely to be an apocalypse).
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Sy Borg wrote: March 17th, 2022, 2:00 am
detail wrote: March 16th, 2022, 5:24 pmOne should not despise people for beeing prepared by storing food reserves and even warm clothings for days of calamity.
Agreed. What other people do to prep is not my business. Good on 'em.

Timing is important in all things. Pull the trigger too early and you incur opportunity costs. Too late and you miss the chance. Not sure how prepping would have helped people in Ukraine who are under fire. Anyone with a bomb shelter would have a hard time defending it to ensure strangers don't barge in and cause over crowding and rapid loss of supplies. In that situation, where people are scrabbling for shelter and supplies, the owner of a shelter would need more than one person with guns and an ornery attitude to guard it.

Being a retiree, I would be loathe to fight to stock up my own supplies against young families with children. If everything really goes to hell, I've had a good run and would be willing to vacate the scene so the young may have the choice to survive in a ruined society/world or not.
You make some valid points about the complexities and challenges of prepping. It's true that timing is crucial, and preparedness efforts may not always result in the intended outcomes, especially in situations like war or when resources are scarce. Protecting supplies and shelters may indeed become a challenge, and the ethical questions surrounding survival in dire circumstances are complex.

Considering the broader perspective, it is essential to remember that prepping is not only about individual survival but also about community resilience. In times of crisis, working together, sharing resources, and supporting each other often lead to better outcomes than an isolated, self-reliant approach. Many preppers are aware of this and emphasize the importance of developing networks and maintaining strong relationships with their neighbors and communities.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: March 18th, 2022, 1:36 am
Well, one of the basic freedoms, is the freedom to make stupid decisions.
Indeed, personal freedom includes the right to make choices that others may not agree with or understand. As long as the decisions made by preppers do not harm others or infringe upon their rights, they are entitled to follow their own paths, just as anyone else is.

It's essential to recognize and respect the diversity of perspectives and approaches to life. For some, the peace of mind that comes from prepping may outweigh any perceived opportunity costs. While we may not all agree on the best way to allocate our time and resources, having respectful conversations and understanding different viewpoints can help build bridges and promote tolerance.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

That's a valid point. While individuals have the freedom to make their own decisions, there is a responsibility to ensure that those decisions do not negatively impact others or pose a danger to the community. In cases where extreme or harmful behaviors are exhibited, it's important for the state or society to intervene and establish boundaries to protect the well-being of all involved.

Prepping, in and of itself, is not necessarily a negative or harmful practice. However, when it becomes a vehicle for promoting fear or violence, it is essential to address the underlying issues and find a balance between personal freedom and the greater good.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: March 25th, 2022, 1:45 am
The state doesn't generally limit the talk (Mr Jones' speciality), rather they can limit the action.
You're correct that the state tends to focus on limiting actions rather than speech. However, it is important to recognize that certain forms of speech, especially when they incite violence or promote harmful behavior, may warrant some form of intervention or regulation. The key is to strike a balance between protecting freedom of speech and ensuring the safety and well-being of society as a whole.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

NeilWallace wrote: March 25th, 2022, 8:48 am
LuckyR wrote: March 25th, 2022, 1:45 am The state doesn't generally limit the talk (Mr Jones' speciality), rather they can limit the action.
Jone's talk is limited by his Youtube channel being banned and hence his ability to get his message to a wider audience is severely restricted. "Prepping" can have a political connotation in USA. Its not so much the issue of people practicing with guns in the woods and storing food but a general mistrust in Government and the State that may be problematic particularly if said views contribute to the storming of the Congress.

So the question for me is if the word "prepping" just means practicing survival skills, or does it also include a general lack of faith or indeed antagonism towards the Government and State? The first a harmless excercise of basic freedoms, the second a more problematic belief.
It's important to understand that "prepping" can encompass a wide range of beliefs and motivations, and it doesn't necessarily imply a lack of faith or antagonism towards the government and state. For many preppers, the focus is on personal preparedness and ensuring their family's safety in the event of a disaster or emergency. This can involve learning survival skills, stockpiling necessary supplies, and forming community networks for mutual support.

However, there are cases where prepping might be intertwined with anti-government sentiment or conspiracy theories, as you mentioned with the example of Alex Jones. In these instances, prepping can be associated with more problematic beliefs that may potentially lead to harmful actions.

– William James

Return to “The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream