Rich countries are the Predators and Poor countries are the Prey, Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, A Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
GE Morton

Re: Rich countries are the Predators and Poor countries are the Prey, Do you agree?

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 3:33 pm
You misunderstand what I intend by "nature". Nature includes everything that naturally is the case . Nature is not to be conflated with what is not man-made but includes what is man-made. Nature is to be contrasted with supernature or God, and is that which is explained by a deterministic causal system.
Well, that contradicts what you said above, namely, "The ultimate producer of the wine is not GEM or me it's either nature or God." There, you're contrasting "GEM or me" with "nature."
Wine and all other products of human labour are either natural or miraculous. I presume that you too think of production as natural not miraculous. All human labour has to harmonise with seasons, terrain, level of civilisation, weather, and available technology and it's constraints such as those that cause the gross production of a man or a society to be finite.
Ok. So how does that bear on the question regarding who has "shares" in the wine?
Economic growth is limited by what's sustainable.
That meme, though currently popular and endlessly (and thoughtlessly) recited, is false. There are no limits to economic growth, other than the (current) limits on human populations and thus the human talents and imagination that produce it. There may be limits on how much of a particular product can be produced with the currently available resources and technology, but does not limit economic growth. Human talents and imagination will just replace those resources and that technology with newer (and usually better) ones, and growth will continue.
You are too optimistc about human nature.The playing field has never been level and never will be.
If by a "level playing field" you mean equal talents, strengths, ambitions, interests, motivations, etc., you're quite right. That is not the case with any species of plants or animals. Some tadpoles swim faster than others, some fir trees grow taller than others, some leopards are better hunters than others. That is just a fact of nature, and as with all other natural phenomena it has no moral significance. What does have moral significance is that, despite those differences, all humans, except young children and persons with certain disabilities, are equally moral agents, and not the masters or slaves of anyone else. They all have equal moral status.
Ecurb

Re: Rich countries are the Predators and Poor countries are the Prey, Do you agree?

Post by Ecurb »

Belindi wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:08 am

The ultimate producer of the wine is not GEM or me it's either nature or God.
Great point. That's why the myth of the Wedding at Cana resonates. If you remember, Jesus turns the water into wine. I think one of the (many) meanings of the story is that God turns water into wine all the time. The rain waters the grapes, and they ripen, then ferment. Jesus was doing miraculously only what God was doing naturally.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:42 pm
In the fairly recent past, the Christian community (in the West) didn't make a "futile effort" to preserve familiarity and unity; it made an effective (although imperfect) effort to do so.
That effort began to falter with the Protestant Reformation, which (interestingly enough) was soon followed by the Enlightenment.
We don't benefit, I think, from a philosophy that lauds self-interest and promotes it.
No doubt that depends upon what you count as a benefit. But it was only after people became free to pursue self-interest that the foundations of modernity were laid: the development of the steam engine, the telegraph and telephone, electricity, radio, the discoveries of X-rays and radioactivity, vaccines against communicable diseases, airplanes and automobiles, etc. etc., all of which were developed by private entrepreneurs pursuing their self-interest. And, of course, the political theory of liberalism and the science of economics.
But promoting the notion that since empathy and love are dead (with the death of kinship based societies and the Christian culture that taught us to emulate them), we should abandon the hope based on love and empathy, and simply accept, and even laud, private ambition, lust and greed is to abandon hope altogether. Love and empathy are not the means to an end for us humans; they are an end in themselves (as the Christians correctly preach).
Love and empathy as unifiers of society have been dead since the dawn of civilization. The real unifiers in the pre-enlightenment era were force and fear. But they are very much alive in private circles, i.e., among families and friendship groups --- which what tribal societies were. Those emotional bonds never extended beyond a few hundred people (at most), still don't, and never will. Those who entertain that hope --- that fantasy --- are doomed to disappointment (which often leads them into cults, in order to isolate themselves from the "society of strangers," or into some totalitarian movement, in order to impose an artificial unity and conformity upon it).
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Ecurb wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:11 pm
Belindi wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 6:08 am

The ultimate producer of the wine is not GEM or me it's either nature or God.
Great point. That's why the myth of the Wedding at Cana resonates. If you remember, Jesus turns the water into wine. I think one of the (many) meanings of the story is that God turns water into wine all the time. The rain waters the grapes, and they ripen, then ferment. Jesus was doing miraculously only what God was doing naturally.
Trust in God's unfailing providence does not conduce to us working as hard as we can to avert climate disaster. This is why people who believe in God's unfailing providence are usually politically conservative; they are unrealistic optimists who think the status quo is fine and dandy because God will provide.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GEMorton wrote:
If by a "level playing field" you mean equal talents, strengths, ambitions, interests, motivations, etc., you're quite right. That is not the case with any species of plants or animals. Some tadpoles swim faster than others, some fir trees grow taller than others, some leopards are better hunters than others. That is just a fact of nature, and as with all other natural phenomena it has no moral significance. What does have moral significance is that, despite those differences, all humans, except young children and persons with certain disabilities, are equally moral agents, and not the masters or slaves of anyone else. They all have equal moral status.
The playing field is not level . "Certain disabilities" may be social otherness such as dyslexia, homosexuality, minority culture, femaleness in some societies is a social disadvantage, autism and its variants, lack of education, lack of access to justice, loneliness, and lack of medical care. All of the latter mitigate moral shortcomings, and in the case of civilised justice they mitigate crimes.

It's comparatively easy to act within the law and to be a moral winner when you are rich and popular. Moral status is good intentions. Remember the parable of the widow's mite.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: January 24th, 2022, 12:54 am

No doubt that depends upon what you count as a benefit. But it was only after people became free to pursue self-interest that the foundations of modernity were laid: the development of the steam engine, the telegraph and telephone, electricity, radio, the discoveries of X-rays and radioactivity, vaccines against communicable diseases, airplanes and automobiles, etc. etc., all of which were developed by private entrepreneurs pursuing their self-interest. And, of course, the political theory of liberalism and the science of economics.
The problem with this is that people come to self-interest naturally. So "lauding and promoting self interest" is unnecessary. We don't need to badger children to get them to eat ice cream; we laud and promote eating vegetables. And I disagree that liberalism lauds self-interest -- it promotes individual rights -- which involve duties to avoid self interest in the interest of other people's rights. It involves political involvement -- which opposes certain self-interests in favor of the interests of the majority.
Love and empathy as unifiers of society have been dead since the dawn of civilization. The real unifiers in the pre-enlightenment era were force and fear. But they are very much alive in private circles, i.e., among families and friendship groups --- which what tribal societies were. Those emotional bonds never extended beyond a few hundred people (at most), still don't, and never will. Those who entertain that hope --- that fantasy --- are doomed to disappointment (which often leads them into cults, in order to isolate themselves from the "society of strangers," or into some totalitarian movement, in order to impose an artificial unity and conformity upon it).
There's some (but not complete) truth in this. That's why it's important to promote love and empathy (as Christianity did). We come to self-interest naturally. We may come to love and empathy for our kin and friends naturally. To love relative strangers comes hard to us -- although it is not impossible. Still, the saints (secular and religious) rose to the challenge. For the rest of us, we must find philosophic value in love and empathy for encouragement. We don't need to be encouraged to follow self-interest any more than children need to be encouraged to eat ice cream. .
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:03 am GEMorton wrote:
The playing field is not level . "Certain disabilities" may be social otherness such as dyslexia, homosexuality, minority culture, femaleness in some societies is a social disadvantage, autism and its variants, lack of education, lack of access to justice, loneliness, and lack of medical care.
None of those are disabilities which disqualify one as a moral agent. Moral agency requires only that one:

a) has interests and some capacity for pursuing them, and
b) is capable of recognizing other qualifying creatures as moral agents who likewise have interests, which may differ from his own, and
c) is capable of understanding and formulating moral principles and rules and acknowledges the need for them in a moral field.

Any creature who satisfies those criteria is a moral agent.

You now seem to be saying that the "playing field" is not level unless everyone loves everyone else and considers them "brothers" and "sisters." That, again, is an atavistic expectation deriving from the organic fallacy. It is wholly unrealistic and unworkable in civilized societies.
It's comparatively easy to act within the law and to be a moral winner when you are rich and popular. Moral status is good intentions. Remember the parable of the widow's mite.
The widow donated her mites voluntarily, as did the wealthy their donations. They were not seized from them by the State. Generosity is commendable; forced "generosity" is simply theft.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:22 am
The problem with this is that people come to self-interest naturally. So "lauding and promoting self interest" is unnecessary.
Oh, I agree. There is no need to promote self-interest. We only need to refrain from impeding or thwarting or frustrating it.
And I disagree that liberalism lauds self-interest -- it promotes individual rights -- which involve duties to avoid self interest in the interest of other people's rights.
Er, individual rights are defined and invoked precisely to protect self-interest, i.e., they are rights to act as you wish in pursuit of your interests as long as you inflict no harms or losses on others. Protecting the diverse interests of individuals is the raison d'etre of individual rights.
There's some (but not complete) truth in this. That's why it's important to promote love and empathy (as Christianity did).
Promoting a goal that is impossible to attain is foolishness. But in a free society everyone is free to pursue and promote any goal they wish, even foolish ones. They're just not free to force others to pursue that goal.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: January 24th, 2022, 2:33 pm
Promoting a goal that is impossible to attain is foolishness. But in a free society everyone is free to pursue and promote any goal they wish, even foolish ones. They're just not free to force others to pursue that goal.
Yes, GE, every poet admits that love is foolish. It is a fantasy, a delusion. But (as the poets also tell us) that does not imply it is wrong to pursue and promote it. Look for heaven, and you won't find it. But at least you'll be looking up.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

Nietzsche:
There is always some madness in love. But there is always some reason in madness.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: January 24th, 2022, 10:06 pm
Yes, GE, every poet admits that love is foolish.
Now, now. I didn't say that love is foolish. Far from it. What is foolish (because it is impossible) is agape, as that word is understood by Christians.
Look for heaven, and you won't find it. But at least you'll be looking up.
The trouble with looking up is that you run into lamp posts. You're wiser to look where you're going.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GEMorton wrote:
(Belindi)
The widow donated her mites voluntarily, as did the wealthy their donations. They were not seized from them by the State. Generosity is commendable; forced "generosity" is simply theft.
(GEM)

The State is the political authority and it makes and imposes laws. In a Christian or post-Christian society secular law is founded upon Christian morality. It has been found necessary for states to impose laws as we would wait forever for most people to give enough voluntarily. That is not going to happen.

The imposition of laws is not theft. Theft is a recognisable crime.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 3:33 pm The invasion and colonisation Britain by Rome ultimately benefitted the native British many of whom became Romanised and all the more able to resist raiding Picts and Anglo Saxons. Insofar as the Romans were cruel and greedy the Roman invasion did not benefit the native Britons.
I suggest that any benefit we Celts received was in the eye of the Romans only. The indigenous Celts perceived no benefits; they saw only a rapacious and imperial invader. Just like the Native Americans did when the Europeans invaded. These "benefits" are what the British used to 'justify' their (rapacious and imperial) invasions of lands across the world - the British Empire. Those who benefit from invasions are the invaders. Everyone else loses, I think.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

GE Morton wrote: January 25th, 2022, 1:53 am
Ecurb wrote: January 24th, 2022, 10:06 pm
Yes, GE, every poet admits that love is foolish.
Now, now. I didn't say that love is foolish. Far from it. What is foolish (because it is impossible) is agape, as that word is understood by Christians.
Once again you defy common knowledge and every poet who ever rhymed. Everyone knows eros is "blind" -- "be still my foolish heart";storge is foolish too -- what mother isn't deluded about how wonderful her children are? ; philia may not be quite as foolish, but we all stand by our friends even when they don't deserve it.

Agape is the one love that is willed, rational and, although difficult to learn, powerful to practice.
Though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge and though I have all faith, so that I could move mountains and have not love (agape, in the Greek), I am nothing.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: January 25th, 2022, 11:13 am
Once again you defy common knowledge and every poet who ever rhymed. Everyone knows eros is "blind" -- "be still my foolish heart";storge is foolish too -- what mother isn't deluded about how wonderful her children are? ; philia may not be quite as foolish, but we all stand by our friends even when they don't deserve it.
Point taken. Love can indeed be foolish (and often is). But not always.

Agape is the one love that is willed, rational and, although difficult to learn, powerful to practice.
Though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge and though I have all faith, so that I could move mountains and have not love (agape, in the Greek), I am nothing.
Love cannot be willed. The human limbic system doesn't work that way; emotional responses are generated sub-consciously and are involuntary and non-rational. Agape is not not love; it is a consciously adopted, irrational and unworkable moral principle.

Return to “A Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream