Qualifications needed to write an Autobiography?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, A Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Qualifications needed to write an Autobiography?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the December 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, A Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Until I read this book, I have never heard of Dr.Ghoulem Berrah. And then I googled about him and did not find much. Most importantly there were not enough details to cross check what he has written.

There are many celebrities and far more famous people who have not written any autobiographies. But this author has chosen to do so (This is not intended in any way to disrespect this renowned diplomat). So what makes one qualified enough to write an autobiography? Why people write autobiographies? Is it to make others better by taking him/her as an example? Or is it merely because of his/her ego?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
JackDaydream

Re: Qualifications needed to write an Autobiography?

Post by JackDaydream »

@Sushan

One aspect of writing an autobiography may be as a form of reflection and understanding. One task which was given in a religious studies class in sixth form was to write a 'spiritual autobiography'. I found this such an interesting task and it lead me to reflect on my own inner experience. It felt like an important excursion into philosophy.

Shortly afterwards, I discovered the autobiography written by Carl Jung, 'Memories, Dreams and Reflections'. This book was a thorough examination of his life and looked at its meaning. However, this takes autobiographical writing beyond the expression of self to develop it as a genre of expression. Also, autobiography is a possible form of writing philosophy, rather than it being a form of academic writing and one writer who has done this is Bryan McGee.

Of course, there is a difference between writing for reflection and writing to be read by other people, but it may be that reflective writing can be done in such a way that it can be improverised on to make it worthwhile reading for others. Perhaps, the genre of autobiographical writing offers scope for looking at inner life and philosophy rather than just being about the lives of rich and famous people.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sushan wrote: December 4th, 2021, 5:58 am So what makes one qualified enough to write an autobiography? Why people write autobiographies? Is it to make others better by taking him/her as an example? Or is it merely because of his/her ego?
I was stuck by the oddness of this thread title.

There is only one qualification to be able to write an autobiography and that is to be literate enough to tell your story.
Gee

Post by Gee »

Sculptor1 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 9:47 am
Sushan wrote: December 4th, 2021, 5:58 am So what makes one qualified enough to write an autobiography? Why people write autobiographies? Is it to make others better by taking him/her as an example? Or is it merely because of his/her ego?

There is only one qualification to be able to write an autobiography and that is to be literate enough to tell your story.
I agree. Getting it published is another story; if you can't, then what you have written is a journal or maybe a diary.

Gee
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Gee wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:59 pm

I agree. Getting it published is another story; if you can't, then what you have written is a journal or maybe a diary.

Gee
Then you need to ask what are the qualifications needed for getting published.
These days that bar is very low, since there is a range of self publishing routes.

Beyond that the needs are the same for any book. Why would another person want to read what you write, is the question.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Sculptor1
It is interesting to know what are the qualifications to write, especially in the realms of autobiographical ideas and philosophy. Unfortunately, a lot may come down to popularity. Personally, I feel that I have a lot to say but no audience, so it makes me feel like giving up writing and speaking. It may be that those whose autobiographies will be heard will be those in positions of prominence, or unusual circumstances, while others' voices will be disregarded and silenced as being so insignificant. One question may be what makes one's life interesting to others?
Gee

Post by Gee »

Sculptor1 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm Then you need to ask what are the qualifications needed for getting published.
These days that bar is very low, since there is a range of self publishing routes.
I know someone, who paid a lot of money to have his book published. He believed he had made some serious breakthroughs in the study of consciousness and dark matter. I purchased his book, mostly in support of his work, but found that he was in serious need of an editor, ghost writer, or proofreader. That can be a problem when one is not a professional writer, so I would not recommend this route for most people.

We used to be able to send short stories to magazines for publication, but magazines are not doing well right now, so I am not sure this is a viable way to gain experience.

If you are going to send your work to a publisher, I recommend that you make your first chapter a "grabber" with emotional interest -- or else no one will read the rest of the book. So, it won't get published. These people have to read a lot of books, so if you can't get their interest in the first chapter, they are not going to read the rest -- they will go on to another book.
Sculptor1 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm Beyond that the needs are the same for any book. Why would another person want to read what you write, is the question.
Because you have allowed them to get inside you. That is what makes the writing good, it is like looking through someone else's purse or their bedroom dresser drawers; good writing is damned personal. And we are curious about other people, other perspectives, other experiences.

It does not matter if you live in interesting times because all times can be interesting, all lives can be interesting, and all circumstances can be interesting, if the writer finds them interesting and they are presented in a personal way. My English professor tried to get me to take a class that teaches one how to write a book because he thought I was a natural writer, but I did not want to write a book. I knew that I would have to put too much of myself into it in order for the book to be good, and I like my privacy. Even a fictional book tells a great deal about the author.

Gee
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Gee wrote: December 5th, 2021, 1:41 am
Sculptor1 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm Then you need to ask what are the qualifications needed for getting published.
I know someone, who paid a lot of money to have his book published. He believed he had made some serious breakthroughs in the study of consciousness and dark matter. I purchased his book, mostly in support of his work, but found that he was in serious need of an editor, ghost writer, or proofreader. That can be a problem when one is not a professional writer, so I would not recommend this route for most people.
You can self publish at no cost. You can also get free advice about editting and proof reading.
You will also need to promote your book. That is the thing that legacy publishers already have an infrastructure for, and the only good reason to go the old route.

We used to be able to send short stories to magazines for publication, but magazines are not doing well right now, so I am not sure this is a viable way to gain experience.
The opportunities for this are way bigger than they ever have been in history. You can even get your short stories read out by volunatray and professional voice actors too, with no loss of copyright.
The only difference is that the story will be podcast rather than in paper.

If you are going to send your work to a publisher, I recommend that you make your first chapter a "grabber" with emotional interest -- or else no one will read the rest of the book. So, it won't get published. These people have to read a lot of books, so if you can't get their interest in the first chapter, they are not going to read the rest -- they will go on to another book.
Grabber strategy is good for all routes, unless you are established with a following.
Most films not begin in the middle with the action and immediately retreat to "One year earlier" - or one week etc. As mosny films are designed for Netlfix, and other open source outlets where people surf the intro before choosing to stop and watch the whole thing.
Sculptor1 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm Beyond that the needs are the same for any book. Why would another person want to read what you write, is the question.
Because you have allowed them to get inside you. That is what makes the writing good, it is like looking through someone else's purse or their bedroom dresser drawers; good writing is damned personal. And we are curious about other people, other perspectives, other experiences.
Celebrities and other notorious people have the advantage here. If you are an unknown then you have a hill to climb.

It does not matter if you live in interesting times because all times can be interesting, all lives can be interesting, and all circumstances can be interesting, if the writer finds them interesting and they are presented in a personal way. My English professor tried to get me to take a class that teaches one how to write a book because he thought I was a natural writer, but I did not want to write a book. I knew that I would have to put too much of myself into it in order for the book to be good, and I like my privacy. Even a fictional book tells a great deal about the author.

Gee
True.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

JackDaydream wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:13 am @Sushan

One aspect of writing an autobiography may be as a form of reflection and understanding. One task which was given in a religious studies class in sixth form was to write a 'spiritual autobiography'. I found this such an interesting task and it lead me to reflect on my own inner experience. It felt like an important excursion into philosophy.

Shortly afterwards, I discovered the autobiography written by Carl Jung, 'Memories, Dreams and Reflections'. This book was a thorough examination of his life and looked at its meaning. However, this takes autobiographical writing beyond the expression of self to develop it as a genre of expression. Also, autobiography is a possible form of writing philosophy, rather than it being a form of academic writing and one writer who has done this is Bryan McGee.

Of course, there is a difference between writing for reflection and writing to be read by other people, but it may be that reflective writing can be done in such a way that it can be improverised on to make it worthwhile reading for others. Perhaps, the genre of autobiographical writing offers scope for looking at inner life and philosophy rather than just being about the lives of rich and famous people.
What an iinsightful comment. That is a real good use of on autobiography, to reflect over one's self. Though we can leisurely ruminate over and over about our past life, writing it will take the rumination to a different and more useful level. When such a self reflection is good enough to be used to mentor others, then it should be published for the betterment of the others. But it should be seen and assesed by someone who knows the fellow, yet can do an unbiased judgement since anyone will see his/her own work as faultless unless pointed out by someone.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Seemingly I have been wrong that everyone will understand the real question without just going for the meaning of the words. Yes, you are correct. If one can write, he/she can write anything including an autobiography. Many people write diaries, but they do not allow them to be read by others. But some people like this author choose to reveal their personal doings, thoughts, and matters to the whole world. What make this difference? What makes someone more prone or more suitable than someone else to tell his/her story to others?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Gee
I think publishing whatever the book (an autobiography or something else) and the related business part is quite complex. Usually the editor has to be satisfied about the quality of the book. But not all the good books are published, but only the potentially profitable ones get through. Even Lord Jesus wrote an autobiography, an editor may reject it if he/she think that it may not make any profits to them. So the content is not the only thing that matters, but the way that you present it. So when we apply this to the already published memoirs and autobiographies it leaves the question whether the book carries the truth or what the audience expects!

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Sculptor1 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm

Gee

Beyond that the needs are the same for any book. Why would another person want to read what you write, is the question.
Self-published books have become best-sellers. At the same time the ones that have selected by editors have gone into dustbin. So maybe it is not just about writing or publishing, but marketing and actually selling. An editor can read a book and decide whether it is a good one or a bad one. But how can he really guess whether it will be well sold or not? And what makes an editor the ultimate judge to select what books to be published or not? I think it just depends on the experience of the editor, with some luck included too.

– William James
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sushan wrote: December 7th, 2021, 4:44 am
Sculptor1 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm

Gee

Self-published books have become best-sellers. At the same time the ones that have selected by editors have gone into dustbin. So maybe it is not just about writing or publishing, but marketing and actually selling.
Most importantly it is about the content- let's not forget that.

An editor can read a book and decide whether it is a good one or a bad one. But how can he really guess whether it will be well sold or not? And what makes an editor the ultimate judge to select what books to be published or not? I think it just depends on the experience of the editor, with some luck included too.
It's probably worth saying that quality, literary merit, and excellent insight may result in a failure.
IN a world that thinks that Rebel Wilson loosing 70lbs in weight should be more newsworthy than all of her successful films, one has to question the value of merit and quality.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

JackDaydream wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:56 pm @Sculptor1
It is interesting to know what are the qualifications to write, especially in the realms of autobiographical ideas and philosophy. Unfortunately, a lot may come down to popularity. Personally, I feel that I have a lot to say but no audience, so it makes me feel like giving up writing and speaking. It may be that those whose autobiographies will be heard will be those in positions of prominence, or unusual circumstances, while others' voices will be disregarded and silenced as being so insignificant. One question may be what makes one's life interesting to others?
Answering your last question; I think it is the way that you present it. Anyone will have challenges, ups and downs in their lives. But only few of them are good story tellers, and out of them only a very few will decide to write and publish a book. And that few becomes interesting to a big audience.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Gee wrote: December 5th, 2021, 1:41 am

Gee
One's self experience makes a fiction better. And I agree with you that no author can totally exclude his/her self from what he writes, even though it is a mythical story. When someone talk about his/her own experience it is presented in a better and a more palatable way. I think this is very much applicable to memoirs and autobiographies as well. When the author puts his/her heart into his/her writing there will not be much left for the editor to correct or change.

– William James

Return to “A Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream