Rich countries are the Predators and Poor countries are the Prey, Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, A Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
GE Morton

Re: Rich countries are the Predators and Poor countries are the Prey, Do you agree?

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: January 30th, 2022, 5:32 pm
Child- centred education is a theory of education with which I agree. Indeed it's ideal when each child has her education tailored to suit her. This is done to the utmost ability of every good teacher.
Who is to decide what suits her, her parents (and the kid herself), or school bureaucrats?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Rich countries are the Predators and Poor countries are the Prey, Do you agree?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: January 28th, 2022, 3:03 pm
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."
GE Morton wrote: January 29th, 2022, 2:29 pm I think we've covered this before. The trouble with the Golden Rule is that "what you would have others do unto you" is subjective, and I would not want a masochist to do unto me what he would have me do unto him. Kant's Categorical Imperative aims at the same point, but avoids that problem.
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 30th, 2022, 8:15 am The Golden Rule makes the point well, but its focus is mistaken. The real Golden Rule asks that one will treat others as they would wish to be treated. After all, what you might find to be beneficial treatment might be insufferably unpleasant to someone else.
Ecurb wrote: January 30th, 2022, 1:41 pm This version is subject to more objections than the original. Should a good-looking woman have sex with everyone who wants to bed her?
This is the grossest deliberate misunderstanding I've seen for a very long time. No-one would mistake my words to mean what you have suggested, I don't think.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 31st, 2022, 1:32 pm
GE Morton wrote: January 29th, 2022, 2:29 pm I think we've covered this before. The trouble with the Golden Rule is that "what you would have others do unto you" is subjective, and I would not want a masochist to do unto me what he would have me do unto him. Kant's Categorical Imperative aims at the same point, but avoids that problem.
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 30th, 2022, 8:15 am The Golden Rule makes the point well, but its focus is mistaken. The real Golden Rule asks that one will treat others as they would wish to be treated. After all, what you might find to be beneficial treatment might be insufferably unpleasant to someone else.
Ecurb wrote: January 30th, 2022, 1:41 pm This version is subject to more objections than the original. Should a good-looking woman have sex with everyone who wants to bed her?
This is the grossest deliberate misunderstanding I've seen for a very long time. No-one would mistake my words to mean what you have suggested, I don't think.
You're right, Pattern-chaser. The Golden Rule implies more than a superficial touchy- feely involvement in another's welfare. The Golden Rule involves the application of state of the art knowledge and time-consuming attention to another's wellbeing.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 31st, 2022, 1:32 pm
I hope that your use of "they" was confusing and was read as "the person applying the Rule" as opposed to the person to whom the Rule is being applied.
"As usual... it depends."
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

We should apply the golden rule for the benefit of the recipient. Should I treat every woman in the same way I treat my wife?
Should I treat my wife in the same way as I treat my children or parents?
If I want the freedom to be a Catholic, then others should also have the freedom to be a Muslim, atheist, Hindu etc.

We ignore the golden rule when it comes to rich countries exploiting poor countries. If poor countries could pay the same hourly rate as rich countries, then we would not be able to afford our luxuries. The rich would no longer feel rich.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

LuckyR wrote: February 1st, 2022, 4:17 pm I hope that your use of "they" was confusing and was read as "the person applying the Rule" as opposed to the person to whom the Rule is being applied.
EricPH wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:12 pm We should apply the golden rule for the benefit of the recipient.
Exactly. If the recipient was distressed, most people in that situation would appreciate a hug, and "C'mon now, it can't be so bad", wouldn't they? That would describe the conventional expression of the Golden Rule. But, if the recipient had sensory issues, and was unable to tolerate physical touching, your hug would distress them more. To meet the spirit of the Rule, we should treat the recipient as the recipient would like to be treated, not as the helper would like to be treated in the recipient's situation.

Does that answer your question, LuckyR?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 7:09 am
LuckyR wrote: February 1st, 2022, 4:17 pm I hope that your use of "they" was confusing and was read as "the person applying the Rule" as opposed to the person to whom the Rule is being applied.
EricPH wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:12 pm We should apply the golden rule for the benefit of the recipient.
Exactly. If the recipient was distressed, most people in that situation would appreciate a hug, and "C'mon now, it can't be so bad", wouldn't they? That would describe the conventional expression of the Golden Rule. But, if the recipient had sensory issues, and was unable to tolerate physical touching, your hug would distress them more. To meet the spirit of the Rule, we should treat the recipient as the recipient would like to be treated, not as the helper would like to be treated in the recipient's situation.

Does that answer your question, LuckyR?
There you have empathy. Empathy is a sort of intelligence and a sort of reasoning. Empathy can be taught both intellectually and affectively.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Ecurb wrote regarding The Golden Rule: ↑January 30th, 2022, 1:41 pm
This version is subject to more objections than the original. Should a good-looking woman have sex with everyone who wants to bed her?
The basic freedom and creativity is aimed at oneself and one's survival. You can't help another when you are not also helping yourself. In your particular example the good -looking woman lacks an important survival skill which is a part of human freedom and creativity.

Illustration from The Bible:
New King James Version
So he said to them: “Out of the eater came something to eat, And out of the strong came something sweet.” Now for three days they could not explain the riddle.

It means that it's a condition of being able to help somebody else that you yourself are strong enough to do so. In your example the men who take advantage of the woman are not helping either themselves or the woman, and are unfree as they are subject,not to reason or empathy, but to emotional reaction which is a chemical process.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 7:15 am
There you have empathy. Empathy is a sort of intelligence and a sort of reasoning.
Not according to any definition of those terms I know of.
Empathy can be taught both intellectually and affectively.
Evidence?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GE Morton wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 2:09 pm
There you have empathy. Empathy is a sort of intelligence and a sort of reasoning.
Evidence?
You can google for evidence of empathy and how to teach it and how to learn it.

You can google for discussions of how empathy is a variety of reasoning.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Take the shark away from the reefs and the reef dies.

Man praying on man is how man gets fitter.

Man not praying on man would be extremely bad for mankind.

Regards
DL
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 2:57 pm
Evidence?

Oooh, bad form, Belindi. When you make a claim the burden is upon you to cite supporting evidence. Asking a challenger to search for it is evasive, a shirking of that obligation.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

There you have empathy. Empathy is a sort of intelligence and a sort of reasoning. Empathy can be taught both intellectually and affectively.
BTW, some interesting arguments have been made against empathy:

"We often think of our capacity to experience the suffering of others as the ultimate source of goodness. Many of our wisest policy-makers, activists, scientists, and philosophers agree that the only problem with empathy is that we don’t have enough of it.

"Nothing could be farther from the truth, argues Yale researcher Paul Bloom. In AGAINST EMPATHY, Bloom reveals empathy to be one of the leading motivators of inequality and immorality in society. Far from helping us to improve the lives of others, empathy is a capricious and irrational emotion that appeals to our narrow prejudices. It muddles our judgment and, ironically, often leads to cruelty. We are at our best when we are smart enough not to rely on it, but to draw instead upon a more distanced compassion.

Basing his argument on groundbreaking scientific findings, Bloom makes the case that some of the worst decisions made by individuals and nations—who to give money to, when to go to war, how to respond to climate change, and who to imprison—are too often motivated by honest, yet misplaced, emotions. With precision and wit, he demonstrates how empathy distorts our judgment in every aspect of our lives, from philanthropy and charity to the justice system; from medical care and education to parenting and marriage. Without empathy, Bloom insists, our decisions would be clearer, fairer, and—yes—ultimately more moral."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CY2LCZI/
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GE Morton wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 3:47 pm
Belindi wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 2:57 pm
Evidence?

Oooh, bad form, Belindi. When you make a claim the burden is upon you to cite supporting evidence. Asking a challenger to search for it is evasive, a shirking of that obligation.
But the claims are well known. This is not a proper place to instruct you.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Belindi wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:32 pm
But the claims are well known.
To you, perhaps. Not, I suspect, to most of your readers.
This is not a proper place to instruct you.
Of course it is.

You're still shirking that intellectual obligation.

Return to “A Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream