Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, Emotional Intelligence At Work: A Personal Operating System for Career Success by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Posts: 8727
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:48 am You can't have IQ without EQ, but you can't have EQ without IQ. Ergo, you can't have both!
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 30th, 2022, 8:34 am Hi, AgentSmith! 🙂🤝

I'm afraid your logic, as you have expressed it, does not lead to the conclusion you draw. 🤔

Nice to meet you, anyway; welcome to our dance! 🙂
AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 9:46 am Hi to you too Pattern-chaser

Why? Do you see a way out of the vicious circle I described? Pray tell.
OK, I think my initial judgement was slightly rash. 😳 But your logic is still flawed. 😉 There is no connection (that I know of) that says EQ and IQ scores are linked in the way you describe. What is to stop anyone from having a high IQ and a low EQ? Many in this forum are in exactly that situation. And vice versa? People who are nice, easy to get on with, but not geniuses? There are people like that too, in RL.

One can have high IQ and EQ scores, although I imagine this is relatively rare, just as low scores for both is too. But I don't think the score in one of them influences one's score in the other one. I think they are complements, not opposites.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
AgentSmith
Posts: 108
Joined: January 29th, 2022, 1:55 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by AgentSmith »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 31st, 2022, 6:19 am
AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:48 am You can't have IQ without EQ, but you can't have EQ without IQ. Ergo, you can't have both!
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 30th, 2022, 8:34 am Hi, AgentSmith! 🙂🤝

I'm afraid your logic, as you have expressed it, does not lead to the conclusion you draw. 🤔

Nice to meet you, anyway; welcome to our dance! 🙂
AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 9:46 am Hi to you too Pattern-chaser

Why? Do you see a way out of the vicious circle I described? Pray tell.
OK, I think my initial judgement was slightly rash. 😳 But your logic is still flawed. 😉 There is no connection (that I know of) that says EQ and IQ scores are linked in the way you describe. What is to stop anyone from having a high IQ and a low EQ? Many in this forum are in exactly that situation. And vice versa? People who are nice, easy to get on with, but not geniuses? There are people like that too, in RL.

One can have high IQ and EQ scores, although I imagine this is relatively rare, just as low scores for both is too. But I don't think the score in one of them influences one's score in the other one. I think they are complements, not opposites.
My logic is rather simple.

1. To have high IQ (score well on an IQ test) one needs to be calm & composed.

2. To be calm & composed (emotionally stable) one needs to have good EQ.

3. To have good EQ, one needs to understand & use our emotions.

4. To understand & use our emotions one needs high IQ

Conclusion:
1. To have high IQ one needs high EQ
2. To have high EQ one needs high IQ

IQ needs EQ and EQ needs IQ. :?
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 8145
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by LuckyR »

AgentSmith wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:21 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 31st, 2022, 6:19 am
AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:48 am You can't have IQ without EQ, but you can't have EQ without IQ. Ergo, you can't have both!
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 30th, 2022, 8:34 am Hi, AgentSmith! 🙂🤝

I'm afraid your logic, as you have expressed it, does not lead to the conclusion you draw. 🤔

Nice to meet you, anyway; welcome to our dance! 🙂
AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 9:46 am Hi to you too Pattern-chaser

Why? Do you see a way out of the vicious circle I described? Pray tell.
OK, I think my initial judgement was slightly rash. 😳 But your logic is still flawed. 😉 There is no connection (that I know of) that says EQ and IQ scores are linked in the way you describe. What is to stop anyone from having a high IQ and a low EQ? Many in this forum are in exactly that situation. And vice versa? People who are nice, easy to get on with, but not geniuses? There are people like that too, in RL.

One can have high IQ and EQ scores, although I imagine this is relatively rare, just as low scores for both is too. But I don't think the score in one of them influences one's score in the other one. I think they are complements, not opposites.
My logic is rather simple.

1. To have high IQ (score well on an IQ test) one needs to be calm & composed.

2. To be calm & composed (emotionally stable) one needs to have good EQ.

3. To have good EQ, one needs to understand & use our emotions.

4. To understand & use our emotions one needs high IQ

Conclusion:
1. To have high IQ one needs high EQ
2. To have high EQ one needs high IQ

IQ needs EQ and EQ needs IQ. :?
I can follow your train of thought, but don't you personally know socially inept smart people and socially gifted dumb people?
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
AgentSmith
Posts: 108
Joined: January 29th, 2022, 1:55 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by AgentSmith »

LuckyR wrote: February 1st, 2022, 4:10 pm
AgentSmith wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:21 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 31st, 2022, 6:19 am
AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 12:48 am You can't have IQ without EQ, but you can't have EQ without IQ. Ergo, you can't have both!
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 30th, 2022, 8:34 am Hi, AgentSmith! 🙂🤝

I'm afraid your logic, as you have expressed it, does not lead to the conclusion you draw. 🤔

Nice to meet you, anyway; welcome to our dance! 🙂
AgentSmith wrote: January 30th, 2022, 9:46 am Hi to you too Pattern-chaser

Why? Do you see a way out of the vicious circle I described? Pray tell.
OK, I think my initial judgement was slightly rash. 😳 But your logic is still flawed. 😉 There is no connection (that I know of) that says EQ and IQ scores are linked in the way you describe. What is to stop anyone from having a high IQ and a low EQ? Many in this forum are in exactly that situation. And vice versa? People who are nice, easy to get on with, but not geniuses? There are people like that too, in RL.

One can have high IQ and EQ scores, although I imagine this is relatively rare, just as low scores for both is too. But I don't think the score in one of them influences one's score in the other one. I think they are complements, not opposites.
My logic is rather simple.

1. To have high IQ (score well on an IQ test) one needs to be calm & composed.

2. To be calm & composed (emotionally stable) one needs to have good EQ.

3. To have good EQ, one needs to understand & use our emotions.

4. To understand & use our emotions one needs high IQ

Conclusion:
1. To have high IQ one needs high EQ
2. To have high EQ one needs high IQ

IQ needs EQ and EQ needs IQ. :?
I can follow your train of thought, but don't you personally know socially inept smart people and socially gifted dumb people?
For my money, these aren't instances of high/low IQ and high/low EQ and if they are, it's just that such people have never bothered to use their IQ in social matters and, at the other extreme, high EQ are not dumb.
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Posts: 8727
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AgentSmith wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:21 pm 1. To have high IQ (score well on an IQ test) one needs to be calm & composed.

2. To be calm & composed (emotionally stable) one needs to have good EQ.

3. To have good EQ, one needs to understand & use our emotions.

4. To understand & use our emotions one needs high IQ

Conclusion:
1. To have high IQ one needs high EQ
2. To have high EQ one needs high IQ
I don't think I can wholeheartedly agree with any of your four premises. Let's take #2. It seems to me that EQ is about relating to others, not (necessarily) being "calm & composed" oneself...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Posts: 8727
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Intelligence quotient – IQ. Formulated by psychologists like Alfred Binet and later conceptualized by psychologist William Stern, IQ includes qualities like analytical skills, logical reasoning, ability to relate multiple things, and ability to store and retrieve information. IQ tests check this through various questions related to reading comprehension, data interpretation, logical reasoning, verbal ability, visual-spatial reasoning, classification, analogies and pattern-detection.

Emotional Intelligence – EQ. Conceptualized by psychologists like Michael Beldoch and later popularized by psychologist Daniel Goleman, EQ includes some key competencies which then have further subheadings, viz. self-awareness which includes emotional awareness, self-assessment & self-confidence; self-regulation which includes self-control, trustworthiness, conscientiousness, adaptability & innovativeness; self-motivation which includes drive, commitment, initiative & optimism; social awareness which includes empathy, service orientation, developing others, leveraging diversity, and political awareness; and social skills which include influence, communication, leadership, change management, conflict management and cooperation.

Social Intelligence – SQ. Postulated by psychologist Edward Thorndike, it was later reinvented by psychologists like Howard Gardner and Daniel Goleman. Gardner proposed that there are multiple intelligences, out of which he talked about two important ones, intrapersonal intelligence and interpersonal intelligence. According to him, interpersonal intelligence includes sensitivity towards others’ moods, feelings, temperaments and motivations; and ability to cooperate as part of a group. Gardner equated it with Daniel Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence.
Text taken from here.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
AgentSmith
Posts: 108
Joined: January 29th, 2022, 1:55 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by AgentSmith »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:28 am
AgentSmith wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:21 pm 1. To have high IQ (score well on an IQ test) one needs to be calm & composed.

2. To be calm & composed (emotionally stable) one needs to have good EQ.

3. To have good EQ, one needs to understand & use our emotions.

4. To understand & use our emotions one needs high IQ

Conclusion:
1. To have high IQ one needs high EQ
2. To have high EQ one needs high IQ
I don't think I can wholeheartedly agree with any of your four premises. Let's take #2. It seems to me that EQ is about relating to others, not (necessarily) being "calm & composed" oneself...?
Of course, of course, but the aspect of EQ (being in control of one's emotions) that has a direct bearing on IQ is what matters, oui?

It's like war - traders, ordinary people, arms dealers, etc. the lives of many categories of people are touched - but as a (if you are) surgeon, its the casualties that have any import in your life.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 8145
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by LuckyR »

AgentSmith wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 1:39 am
LuckyR wrote: February 1st, 2022, 4:10 pm
AgentSmith wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:21 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 31st, 2022, 6:19 am





OK, I think my initial judgement was slightly rash. 😳 But your logic is still flawed. 😉 There is no connection (that I know of) that says EQ and IQ scores are linked in the way you describe. What is to stop anyone from having a high IQ and a low EQ? Many in this forum are in exactly that situation. And vice versa? People who are nice, easy to get on with, but not geniuses? There are people like that too, in RL.

One can have high IQ and EQ scores, although I imagine this is relatively rare, just as low scores for both is too. But I don't think the score in one of them influences one's score in the other one. I think they are complements, not opposites.
My logic is rather simple.

1. To have high IQ (score well on an IQ test) one needs to be calm & composed.

2. To be calm & composed (emotionally stable) one needs to have good EQ.

3. To have good EQ, one needs to understand & use our emotions.

4. To understand & use our emotions one needs high IQ

Conclusion:
1. To have high IQ one needs high EQ
2. To have high EQ one needs high IQ

IQ needs EQ and EQ needs IQ. :?
I can follow your train of thought, but don't you personally know socially inept smart people and socially gifted dumb people?
For my money, these aren't instances of high/low IQ and high/low EQ and if they are, it's just that such people have never bothered to use their IQ in social matters and, at the other extreme, high EQ are not dumb.
So you're saying you don't personally know any socially stunted, book smart people nor any socially gifted, dim people? Really? They're actually quite common in my experience.
"As usual... it depends."
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Posts: 8727
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:28 am I don't think I can wholeheartedly agree with any of your four premises. Let's take #2. It seems to me that EQ is about relating to others, not (necessarily) being "calm & composed" oneself...?
AgentSmith wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:55 am Of course, of course, but the aspect of EQ (being in control of one's emotions) that has a direct bearing on IQ is what matters, oui?
Perhaps so. But I can't see that EQ has any "direct bearing" on IQ. [I refer to typical people here, not those who have non-typical problems, perhaps with their mental health.]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
AgentSmith
Posts: 108
Joined: January 29th, 2022, 1:55 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by AgentSmith »

Pattern-chaser wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 12:47 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:28 am I don't think I can wholeheartedly agree with any of your four premises. Let's take #2. It seems to me that EQ is about relating to others, not (necessarily) being "calm & composed" oneself...?
AgentSmith wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:55 am Of course, of course, but the aspect of EQ (being in control of one's emotions) that has a direct bearing on IQ is what matters, oui?
Perhaps so. But I can't see that EQ has any "direct bearing" on IQ. [I refer to typical people here, not those who have non-typical problems, perhaps with their mental health.]
There really is nothing new that's being said. People with low EQ are emotionally unstable. Can one use one's IQ when in an emotional storm?
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Posts: 8727
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AgentSmith wrote: February 4th, 2022, 1:02 pm People with low EQ are emotionally unstable.
People with low EQ are sometimes emotionally disadvantaged. You seem very judgemental about this...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
Rende
Posts: 66
Joined: January 29th, 2022, 3:56 pm

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by Rende »

I think it is true that wisdom is something that has to do with being successful. A wise person, in my view, would take success as a different point from person to person. Why should i be less successful of a manager. Or it is just thinking that would hide the truth to yourself. That your less successful than another person. Some people would say they acept that they are less successful than others because, it dont have an deadly impact on their lives. And they are happy just to live. Is this wisdom? Is different from EQ and IQ and is also useful in life.
The answer to a problem usually lies in the solution. The world is bigger than us. Life always finds a path.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 8145
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by LuckyR »

Rende wrote: February 7th, 2022, 4:32 pm I think it is true that wisdom is something that has to do with being successful. A wise person, in my view, would take success as a different point from person to person. Why should i be less successful of a manager. Or it is just thinking that would hide the truth to yourself. That your less successful than another person. Some people would say they acept that they are less successful than others because, it dont have an deadly impact on their lives. And they are happy just to live. Is this wisdom? Is different from EQ and IQ and is also useful in life.
I agree wisdom is most useful than (and is separate from) what is measured by IQ and EQ.
"As usual... it depends."
AmosMorrison
Posts: 30
Joined: October 28th, 2021, 8:43 am

Re: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) vs Emotional Quotient (EQ)

Post by AmosMorrison »

I find it hard to understand why people spend loads of time to understand the basics about what they ask and readily look to make sure that they deny everything to ensure that the answerer considers his response bad. For this, I have decided to strike back or respond in an equal manner and task and for this, we will make sure that your mind finds the best response and calmness that is going to come your way.
Find below an extract regarding the basics and details of the emotional quotient:
Emotional Quotient is primarily your ability to understand other people and what motivates them as well as your own motivations and emotional intelligence. In addition to this, the ability to monitor and manage your own emotions also ties in with your level of emotional intelligence.
It is crucial to determine your emotional intelligence as it impacts almost everything you do and says each day.
How does Emotional Intelligence help?
In his book, “Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ” Daniel Goleman explains how emotional intelligence helps individuals in their daily life. Here are some of the key takeaways from the book:
Self-awareness
When you have a degree of self-awareness, you are able to better gauge your own strengths and weaknesses. It gets easy for you to understand how your actions affect others. Self-aware individuals are able to handle and learn from constructive criticism better than those who aren’t.
Self-regulation
Individuals with high EQ are able to control themselves i.e. they decide when to reveal their emotions and when to restrain themselves. Others can be prone to emotional outbursts and have no control whatsoever.
Self-regulation
Individuals with high EQ are able to control themselves i.e. they decide when to reveal their emotions and when to restrain themselves. Others can be prone to emotional outbursts and have no control whatsoever.
[url=http://drugstore-catalog.com/]drugstore-catalog.com[/url]
Post Reply

Return to “Emotional Intelligence At Work: A Personal Operating System for Career Success by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...

The Advent of Time: A Solution to the Problem of Evil...
by Indignus Servus
November 2024

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age
by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.
October 2024

How is God Involved in Evolution?

How is God Involved in Evolution?
by Joe P. Provenzano, Ron D. Morgan, and Dan R. Provenzano
August 2024

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021