Can we trust nobody?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, Emotional Intelligence At Work: A Personal Operating System for Career Success by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Can we trust nobody?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the January 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, Emotional Intelligence At Work: A Personal Operating System for Career Success by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt

Most of us persist in self-destructive habits that confound us, repeatedly stubbing our toe and making the same avoidable mistakes over and over again. We may take colleagues and friends at face value, believing we know them and can predict their actions, only to be blindsided and betrayed by behavior that we could not see coming.
(Location 149 of Kindle version)

Taking anyone or anything at face value will bring as harm more than benefits. But when it comes to friends and colleagues, we have a bond with them that will make us believe in them or have faith on them. But this author tells us not to take anyone at face value, or in other words, to be cautious even with our friends.

Should we live in fear of backstabbing from our close ones? Can we trust nobody?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Neil Wallace

Re: Can we trust nobody?

Post by Neil Wallace »

Trust ultimatey is a probability game.

To exist as a social animal we have to form probabilistic assessments of harm/benefit from those near and afar. People come unstuck when they simply blindly apply 100% benefit likelihoods to all according to naive assumptions about human nature. They may often then swing to a 0% trust ideology of misanthrope.

People will often tend to revise these ratios up or down as and when experience gives more concrete data - or go off and live in the forest and calculate their chances there.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Neil Wallace wrote: January 6th, 2022, 1:30 pm Trust ultimatey is a probability game.

To exist as a social animal we have to form probabilistic assessments of harm/benefit from those near and afar. People come unstuck when they simply blindly apply 100% benefit likelihoods to all according to naive assumptions about human nature. They may often then swing to a 0% trust ideology of misanthrope.

People will often tend to revise these ratios up or down as and when experience gives more concrete data - or go off and live in the forest and calculate their chances there.
Exactly. But where one chooses to treat the (best guess) probabilities reflects on our fears. If you fear being misled, you act more cautiously than you predict you need to be. If you fear being viewed as mistrusting, you act more trusting.
"As usual... it depends."
detail

Post by detail »

Hopefully we have to trust those people that are in some kind of vincinity of those who are dear to us. A world with no trust , is a lost world where social behaviour is then reduced to zero effectiveness. We are not in the world of afortimes like in the film conan the barbarian whose father said in the film:

For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This (pointing to a sword) you can trust.

If not nietzsches argumentation in his book will to power will become more real than we could imagine and nihilism would be the overwhelmingly strong principle.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

My takeaway from the first 25 pages. Trusting others is necessary in order to work and succeed together, but we must take care to trust our instincts (listen to what "out gut" is telling us about other people) and/or confront others when necessary (avoiding conflict also causes problems)

I'm thinking about the story of Danny and Johnathon (page 7 in the book) - it looked like Danny was sabotaging the company, but Johnathon was able to confront him - they were able to talk about the problem and then create a new business plan that was beneficial for both parties.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

anonymous66 wrote: January 7th, 2022, 9:49 pm My takeaway from the first 25 pages. Trusting others is necessary in order to work and succeed together, but we must take care to trust our instincts (listen to what "out gut" is telling us about other people) and/or confront others when necessary (avoiding conflict also causes problems)

I'm thinking about the story of Danny and Johnathon (page 7 in the book) - it looked like Danny was sabotaging the company, but Johnathon was able to confront him - they were able to talk about the problem and then create a new business plan that was beneficial for both parties.
The author also has this to say (p.44)
"Trusting someone before they have earned it is unwise, but assuming that everyone we meet is untrustworthy is needlessly cynical. So, what's the appropriate strategy? Good BEQ suggests we simply resist forming an opinion about a person's character or personality, until we see how they act over time, and in different circumstances. This won't be easy at first It requires living with the anxiety of suspending judgment instead of relaxing into a false sense of rapport and trust."
Last edited by anonymous66 on January 10th, 2022, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

My rule is that people's behavior is predictable if you understand their motivation. Thus for folks I know well, it is predictable under which circumstances they can be trusted. For strangers or those I don't know well, my rule is: trust but verify if the issue does not involve money, distrust if it does.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Neil Wallace wrote: January 6th, 2022, 1:30 pm Trust ultimatey is a probability game.

Experience make us what we are. As you said, some people believe in others first, with no conditions or precautions. But when someone harm that trust, such people may turn into fellows that will trust nobody, and it too can be an issue when building up social interactions and connections. But for self-protection I think the latter behaviour will be better, though it can cost one's happiness.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: January 7th, 2022, 2:44 am

Exactly. But where one chooses to treat the (best guess) probabilities reflects on our fears. If you fear being misled, you act more cautiously than you predict you need to be. If you fear being viewed as mistrusting, you act more trusting.
Any decision that a human makes will reflect not only his/her fears, but also the knowledge, experience, beliefs, current mood etc. And I think that is a way that human are different from beasts. If you feed a dog, it will swing its tail and completely trust you. It will never think that you will hit it the next moment. But similarly if you give food to a stranger for free, for no reason, he will definitely have suspicious thoughts about your motives.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

detail wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:31 pm Hopefully we have to trust those people that are in some kind of vincinity of those who are dear to us. A world with no trust , is a lost world where social behaviour is then reduced to zero effectiveness. We are not in the world of afortimes like in the film conan the barbarian whose father said in the film:

For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This (pointing to a sword) you can trust.

If not nietzsches argumentation in his book will to power will become more real than we could imagine and nihilism would be the overwhelmingly strong principle.
I think what Conan's father said has a great value. You can completely trust only what is fully under control of you. Even a king cannot trust all men in his kingdom, but he too can trust his sword (given that it will not break), because it will do exactly what the king wants till his grip is on its hilt. But over no human the king can have such a control, so he cannot have such a trust on any human either.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

anonymous66 wrote: January 7th, 2022, 9:49 pm My takeaway from the first 25 pages. Trusting others is necessary in order to work and succeed together, but we must take care to trust our instincts (listen to what "out gut" is telling us about other people) and/or confront others when necessary (avoiding conflict also causes problems)

The story you mentioned is about a junior confronting a senior. Luckily the senior fellow chose to listen to what his junior had to say, and he accepted the need to change. Seemingly the junior fellow was lucky. But how many seniors in today's business world will tolerate a junior's confrontation? And a change based on such incident will be even more rare. OTOH, how many employees will find the courage to confront their employer?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

anonymous66 wrote: January 9th, 2022, 3:07 pm

"Trusting someone before they have earned it is unwise, but assuming that everyone we meet is untrustworthy is needlessly cynical. So, what's the appropriate strategy? Good BEQ suggests we simply resist forming an opinion about a person's character or personality, until we see how they act over time, and in different circumstances. This won't be easy at first It requires living with the anxiety of suspending judgment instead of relaxing into a false sense of rapport and trust."
Seemingly the author has contradicted himself. First he tells assuming all that we meet as untrustworthy is cynical. But then he tells that good BEQ suggests resisiting forming an opinion about people until we study them for some time. So in other words the latter part suggests not to trust people until we get to know them well. So we should not trust anyone that we do not know. And I see a practical issue in the latter statement. For how long should we study a person in order to form an opinion on him or build some trust on him?
Last edited by Sushan on January 19th, 2022, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Misspelled word (contraindicated instead of contradicted)

– William James
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sushan wrote: January 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm
anonymous66 wrote: January 9th, 2022, 3:07 pm

Seemingly the author has contradicted himself. First he tells assuming all that we meet as untrustworthy is cynical. But then he tells that good BEQ suggests resisiting forming an opinion about people until we study them for some time. So in other words the latter part suggests not to trust people until we get to know them well. So we should not trust anyone that we do not know. And I see a practical issue in the latter statement. For how long should we study a person in order to form an opinion on him or build some trust on him?
No. He is not contradicting himself. He is talking common sense, instead of inviting you to take a leap of faith. Be cautious, and be wary, says he. Keep an open mind. Take time to study. Don't assume the worst, as doing so is cynical. How long should we study? This is what the book is about. Assume worse, assume waryjump inaskin
QuestionAll+Nothing

Post by QuestionAll+Nothing »

Trust is Given, its never taken you must be willing to trust and submit even if its by force. If someone tells you to drink some water that unknowingly is poisoned, yet says if you don’t I will harm you through death. Then you are still giving him your trust but through other means (Fear). The concept of nobody from etymology is someone of non-importance but I don’t know if the question is about others or anyone meaning yourself. Yet you will always trust somebody even if it’s yourself. Trust is an exchange for loyalty on non loyalty.
Neil Wallace

Post by Neil Wallace »

Sushan wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:45 pm= It will never think that you will hit it the next moment. But similarly if you give food to a stranger for free, for no reason, he will definitely have suspicious thoughts about your motives.
A naive child is essentially like a dog - zero distrust particularly after a benefit. When concepts come in they can massively distort true probability. They are trying to poison me with the free sandwich because I read about such a case on a news website in 1974. Reason is to try and use facts to get more accurate predictive models of reality.

Return to “Emotional Intelligence At Work: A Personal Operating System for Career Success by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream