What is 'Free will'?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, Free Will, Do You Have It? by Albertus Kral
LuckyR

Re: What is 'Free will'?

Post by LuckyR »

Elephant wrote: February 27th, 2022, 7:26 pm
Sushan wrote: February 13th, 2022, 4:29 am So whether there is a free will or not, it does not care, because it is already enjoying it. But humans cannot simply do so, and that is why we are keen about the topic. So ultimately it should be free will = human will.
I mean human will is the psychological will we're born with. Desires are innate in us -- so this must be one of the driving force in the will. I have a desire to climb a mountain, so my attempts at doing so represent my will.
Firstly, contrary to what most logicians and economists believe, folks routinely don't choose to act on their desires (nor act in their best financial interests).

Secondly, did YOU have the desire or did the state of your brain when the idea of mountains was brought up force you to have a desire to climb mountains?
"As usual... it depends."
Elephant

Post by Elephant »

LuckyR wrote: February 28th, 2022, 1:46 am
Firstly, contrary to what most logicians and economists believe, folks routinely don't choose to act on their desires (nor act in their best financial interests).
Sure. But how does that negate what I said that desires are innate in us? And that if I act on this desire, then that's my will to act on that desire. You just said yourself, "folks routinely don't choose to act on their desires" -- so they have desires, they just don't act on it.
LuckyR wrote: February 28th, 2022, 1:46 amSecondly, did YOU have the desire or did the state of your brain when the idea of mountains was brought up force you to have a desire to climb mountains?
Are you telling me that images of a mountain brought this desire in me? So, how does the mountain have any effect in me if I don't have the capacity to develop desires, let alone contain this desire in me?
Hungry
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Elephant wrote: March 1st, 2022, 10:45 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 28th, 2022, 1:46 am
Sure. But how does that negate what I said that desires are innate in us? And that if I act on this desire, then that's my will to act on that desire. You just said yourself, "folks routinely don't choose to act on their desires" -- so they have desires, they just don't act on it.
LuckyR wrote: February 28th, 2022, 1:46 amSecondly, did YOU have the desire or did the state of your brain when the idea of mountains was brought up force you to have a desire to climb mountains?
Are you telling me that images of a mountain brought this desire in me? So, how does the mountain have any effect in me if I don't have the capacity to develop desires, let alone contain this desire in me?
I guess I took your original description of the role of desires as determining choices (which they don't, necessarily. It seems you agree and I don't have a further comment on that.

As to the mountains, I wasn't addressing them, rather the theory that Determinists have that various instantaneous brain-states always lead to certain thoughts and therefore "choices", that are not choices at all.
Elephant

Post by Elephant »

LuckyR wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 2:01 am
As to the mountains, I wasn't addressing them, rather the theory that Determinists have that various instantaneous brain-states always lead to certain thoughts and therefore "choices", that are not choices at all.
I don't know man. Do you think the Bering Strait theory of migration of stone age humans between two continents was determined? Or they thought that the receding waters gave them the chance which they took at the moment when it was possible?
Hungry
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Elephant wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 11:40 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 2:01 am
I don't know man. Do you think the Bering Strait theory of migration of stone age humans between two continents was determined? Or they thought that the receding waters gave them the chance which they took at the moment when it was possible?
Me? Nope, not a Determinist.
Elephant

Post by Elephant »

LuckyR wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 2:57 am
Me? Nope, not a Determinist.
Okay then. We're on the same page.
Hungry
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

How can will be free without determined processes? Without them a will can't exist in the first place. The free will is a determined process.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Whether pragmatism has any bearing on humans over the ants is debatable. The debate starts with the assumption that the spirit of revenge and the thought of revenge are two different things. From here and maybe so we might have the definition of sin. I might stablish that a lion has no thought process, but it has instinct. This “present” evolved capacity is the mechanism that enable the lion to defeat the hyenas. It is obvious that human thought can train instinct to become a polished spirit. A polished spirit could make war more “human.” As we choose one to many, many to one, one to one or one is, it is “all” clearer. Can we ever say human and predator in a sentence? It takes free will.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

The Beast wrote: April 1st, 2022, 10:13 am Whether pragmatism has any bearing on humans over the ants is debatable. The debate starts with the assumption that the spirit of revenge and the thought of revenge are two different things. From here and maybe so we might have the definition of sin. I might stablish that a lion has no thought process, but it has instinct. This “present” evolved capacity is the mechanism that enable the lion to defeat the hyenas. It is obvious that human thought can train instinct to become a polished spirit. A polished spirit could make war more “human.” As we choose one to many, many to one, one to one or one is, it is “all” clearer. Can we ever say human and predator in a sentence? It takes free will.
"Can we ever say human and predator in a sentence?" Yes! You just did in your question about them.

" A polished spirit could make war more “human.” As we choose one to many, many to one, one to one or one is, it is “all” clearer"

You mean a "fair" war in the sense without bringing modern tech into the play? Are the "ones" you mention people?

"The debate starts with the assumption that the spirit of revenge and the thought of revenge are two different things. From here and maybe so we might have the definition of sin. I might stablish that a lion has no thought process, but it has instinct. "

Not sure if the debate starts with this assumption. Aren't the spirit of revenge and the thought of revenge different things? You can feel to take revenge without thinking about it. Or not? Do both tandem along happily (or unhappily...). What's the connection with free will and determinism?And how fits sin in?
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

All you have is questions. However, you said spirit and thought might be two different things. Maybe we have the same idea if you explain yours. As far as sin you may use any word like unethical by any of the written Ethics. If you don’t have defined ethics then we use sin as the root definition to mean generic or some extended version. Yes, I might start there.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

It takes a while to explain my whole view but I'm working on it in a long story. Basically it says the universe is a copy of the eternal heavens insofar the creatures in them and their habitats. So all universal creatures have a divine being in eternal infinite heaven. The gods were playing the same games of love and hate that all universal creatures play out. The gods had good reason to create us (this creation power makes all gods stand apart from universal creatures). I wont go deeper into that but they told me in a dream. The human gods were involved in the colossal task to create special particles. In the great joy before the creation event and the unforeseen realization, the gods forgot to supervise the homonid gods. The consequences are visible all around us. That's why they tried to contact me. They succeeded partially. Sin? The gods made love, made war, including the people-gods. But they played and fooled around beyond good and bad. Something worse than bad. This caused havoc in the heavenly research program to create and develop two kinds of right particles, the love and hate particles...
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Mythology named them and gave definitions. Anyway, what is your definition of Spirit? And why are you so different from any other dreamer?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Raymond wrote: April 1st, 2022, 11:38 am It takes a while to explain my whole view but I'm working on it in a long story. Basically it says the universe is a copy of the eternal heavens insofar the creatures in them and their habitats. So all universal creatures have a divine being in eternal infinite heaven. The gods were playing the same games of love and hate that all universal creatures play out. The gods had good reason to create us (this creation power makes all gods stand apart from universal creatures). I wont go deeper into that but they told me in a dream. The human gods were involved in the colossal task to create special particles. In the great joy before the creation event and the unforeseen realization, the gods forgot to supervise the homonid gods. The consequences are visible all around us. That's why they tried to contact me. They succeeded partially. Sin? The gods made love, made war, including the people-gods. But they played and fooled around beyond good and bad. Something worse than bad. This caused havoc in the heavenly research program to create and develop two kinds of right particles, the love and hate particles...
Well, thank god you were here to receive that dream in order to explain how the universe works to the rest of us.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

LuckyR wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:01 pm
Raymond wrote: April 1st, 2022, 11:38 am It takes a while to explain my whole view but I'm working on it in a long story. Basically it says the universe is a copy of the eternal heavens insofar the creatures in them and their habitats. So all universal creatures have a divine being in eternal infinite heaven. The gods were playing the same games of love and hate that all universal creatures play out. The gods had good reason to create us (this creation power makes all gods stand apart from universal creatures). I wont go deeper into that but they told me in a dream. The human gods were involved in the colossal task to create special particles. In the great joy before the creation event and the unforeseen realization, the gods forgot to supervise the homonid gods. The consequences are visible all around us. That's why they tried to contact me. They succeeded partially. Sin? The gods made love, made war, including the people-gods. But they played and fooled around beyond good and bad. Something worse than bad. This caused havoc in the heavenly research program to create and develop two kinds of right particles, the love and hate particles...
Well, thank god you were here to receive that dream in order to explain how the universe works to the rest of us.
"Well, thank god" :D

You can say that! And it's much simpler as thought. But now what? What if you know it? Tell the happy story to everyone?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Raymond wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:52 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:01 pm
"Well, thank god" :D

You can say that! And it's much simpler as thought. But now what? What if you know it? Tell the happy story to everyone?
That's what social media is for, namely to distribute low quality information to low quality intellects. Go for it.

Return to “Free Will, Do You Have It? by Albertus Kral”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream