Do soldiers sin by killing in war?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Do soldiers sin by killing in war?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the March 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer

My conscious is clear, I never harmed anyone in Vietnam and God is my witness!
Billy Springer

It is good to see someone coming back from a war without harming anyone, soldiers or civilians.

Humans have been engaged in numerous wars for various reasons throughout the history. Gradually, being a soldier converted from being a warrior to being an employee (with no disrespect for the sacrifices done by soldiers all over the world), and from face to face combat to gunfights from distant. Soldiers obey the commands and open fire. Sometimes they even do not see the enemy, and they are not certain whether their bullets hit the enemy or not. And in most occasions they do not have any personal grudge against their enemies. What they simply do is 'doing their job correctly'.

In that case, do soldiers sin by killing their enemies in a battle?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
LuckyR

Re: Do soldiers sin by killing in war?

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:00 am This topic is about the March 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer

Billy Springer

It is good to see someone coming back from a war without harming anyone, soldiers or civilians.

Humans have been engaged in numerous wars for various reasons throughout the history. Gradually, being a soldier converted from being a warrior to being an employee (with no disrespect for the sacrifices done by soldiers all over the world), and from face to face combat to gunfights from distant. Soldiers obey the commands and open fire. Sometimes they even do not see the enemy, and they are not certain whether their bullets hit the enemy or not. And in most occasions they do not have any personal grudge against their enemies. What they simply do is 'doing their job correctly'.

Through the simple act of killing? No, that's their job. Though one could argue that the job of soldiering is inherently sinful, though that would make the government officials who make armies possible the sinners.

On a related note, there are sinful ways of killing by soldiers. Thermobaric bombing for example, some would also put the use of flamethrowers, napalm and shotguns in that category.
"As usual... it depends."
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:00 am In that case, do soldiers sin by killing their enemies in a battle?
"sin" is a religious concept, so it seems your question is addressed to religious users.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
intentes_pupil

Post by intentes_pupil »

In his book "Nonviolent Communication", Marshal B. Rosenberg talks about the idea of "Life alienating Communication" which blocks our natural ability of feeling compassion.
One of these examples are the use of statements in which implicitly we negate our own responsibility; and one particular example that fits the conversation is referring to VAGUE FORCES (Ex: I had to do it. It was my job) or AUTHORITY (Ex: my boss told me to do it).

Having introduced this concept, what interests me about this topic is not the religious debate about calling something a sin (since it has a moral implication and we fall easily in the relativist argument); rather I would like to discuss about the RESPONSABILITY a soldier/any person has for the acts they commit.

In that sense, I would reframe the question as "Are soldiers responsible for they acts when they kill?".

My answer to that is YES.

However, I don't judge the fact of killing. I personally would like people to find different ways to solve their conflicts rather than with violence, but in the case of a soldier I see it part of the social contract.
We as society agree on rights and duties, including who has the right of using the force.

A different but related subject would be who decides when to use the force (meaning the army) and for what purposes. I personally think that the use of force is only justified for defense. But that might be discussed in another feed :)
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Sushan wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:00 am This topic is about the March 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer

Billy Springer

I would not be able to kill as a soldier and live with my own conscience. A lot of people see it as being about following orders and as a job, especially if it seen as a 'just war'. My uncle killed as a soldier and he cried about it. It probably requires being able to distance oneself from emotions to be able to kill in war. It is complex ethically because war is about defense and I am not a moral absolutist so I would not judge people who do become soldiers, even though I prefer pacifism and nonviolent protest and believe that there are better solutions than war.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sushan wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:00 am Do soldiers sin by killing their enemies in a battle?
First, I reject the aberrant Christian concept of "sin". But yes, these soldiers are just murderers, acting on orders from their 'superiors'. If murder is always wrong, then murder in war is wrong.

Unless murder is only wrong sometimes...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Are soldiers responsible for their actions when they kill?

My case is complex, I think. However, I always feel that there is no recovery, only regret, for what I’ve done. I killed a young soldier during the war in Vietnam.

I cannot express how deeply sorrowful I feel that because of me a dear mother never got to see her beloved son return home from the war. I am haunted by this feeling, lodged in the background of my everyday activities, EVERY day except for infrequent intervals of just a few days.

I take no joy in life, as I have ended someone else’s. The sadness brings me to the brink of tears. I seriously wish that I had been killed by that soldier rather than having to live with the knowledge that I killed him.

Factors of mitigation are of no comfort. I had no intent to kill anyone. The jungle was so dense that I didn’t see my enemy until there was less than 3 feet between us. I acted out of fear, instinctively and instantly without any thought of the morality or consequences of what I was doing. I acted in the moment in self defense.

None of those factors excuse me—for (after the fact) I realized that he was unarmed and already wounded. He looked young—he might have been any age between 14 and 34. He had been abandoned by his team and was of no threat to anyone. He may have been trying to surrender. As for me, I was a medic and conscientious objector (to all wars, not only the so-called “unjust” ones).

Your reply cannot condemn me further than I am already condemned. Neither do I seek your approval or support. I just thought you might want to hear my story.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

AverageBozo wrote: March 1st, 2022, 1:03 pm I seriously wish that I had been killed by that soldier rather than having to live with the knowledge that I killed him.
They call it survivors guilt, and it is a tragedy that you still have to suffer.

I feel it is our leaders who should be held to account. There is a tried and tested formula for war --
Hermann Goering

Why of course the people don’t want to go to war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can hope for is to come back to his farm in one piece.
Naturally the common people don’t want war, neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood.

But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether in a democracy, fascist dictatorship or a parliament or a communist dictatorship.

Voice or no voice the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for a lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
Bush and Blair followed in the footsteps of Hermon Goering when they sent troops off to Afghanistan and Iraq.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 1st, 2022, 10:27 am
Sushan wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:00 am Do soldiers sin by killing their enemies in a battle?
First, I reject the aberrant Christian concept of "sin". But yes, these soldiers are just murderers, acting on orders from their 'superiors'. If murder is always wrong, then murder in war is wrong.

Exactly, killing is only wrong most of the time. Typical killing by soldiers being a common example of when it is not wrong.
"As usual... it depends."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 1st, 2022, 10:27 am First, I reject the aberrant Christian concept of "sin". But yes, these soldiers are just murderers, acting on orders from their 'superiors'. If murder is always wrong, then murder in war is wrong.

LuckyR wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 1:46 am Exactly, killing is only wrong most of the time. Typical killing by soldiers being a common example of when it is not wrong.
So what you're saying is that killing by, or on the orders of, an individual is wrong, but killing ordered by society/tribe/nation/etc is OK?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Where does the just war fit in?

Is the Russian soldier justified when he kills a Ukrainian soldier? What would happen to the Russian soldier if he refused to follow orders?

Is it the same when a Ukrainian soldier kills a Russian soldier?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

EricPH wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 9:14 am Where does the just war fit in?
No war is just. War indicates a failure of diplomacy. It is a desperate measure, adopted when there is no other choice. [That doesn't apply so much to the aggressor.]
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

EricPH wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 9:14 am Where does the just war fit in?

Is the Russian soldier justified when he kills a Ukrainian soldier? What would happen to the Russian soldier if he refused to follow orders?

Is it the same when a Ukrainian soldier kills a Russian soldier?
I suppose that if a war can be justified then a soldier killing another soldier could be justified. But since nothing can justify a person killing another—aside from self-defense—nothing can justify a war.

To the extent that a soldier is a person, he cannot be justified in killing another. To the extent that a person is a soldier, he cannot disobey an order without facing a court martial, regardless of whether he is Ukrainian or Russian or any other nationality.

If one nation is aggressing and a second nation is defending itself, although the second nation is justified in its self-defense, the war per se isn’t just, as it began with an aggressor. There is no such thing as a just war.
CIN

Post by CIN »

There is no special taboo against killing, nor against war. War is just another situation where one's responsibility is the same as it always is, to do what one can to work towards increasing the happiness of sentient beings and reducing their unhappiness. Sometimes threats to that overall goal arise and one has to join with others to destroy the threat, as soldiers in Ukraine are having to do at the moment. Sometimes the threat can only be destroyed by killing people, in this case Russian soldiers. Regrettable, but sometimes necessary.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 8:34 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 1st, 2022, 10:27 am First, I reject the aberrant Christian concept of "sin". But yes, these soldiers are just murderers, acting on orders from their 'superiors'. If murder is always wrong, then murder in war is wrong.

LuckyR wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 1:46 am Exactly, killing is only wrong most of the time. Typical killing by soldiers being a common example of when it is not wrong.
So what you're saying is that killing by, or on the orders of, an individual is wrong, but killing ordered by society/tribe/nation/etc is OK?
This is an understandably mistaken dichotomy. Societies etc. don’t give military orders. Only individuals do, such as the head of society or the top general. The order is then passed down the ranks until it reaches the soldiers.

Anyway, I just don’t see that it makes a difference who orders a soldier to kill—it’s just as wrong in any case except for self-defense.

Return to “My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream