Why people relate things to themselves that do not directly involve them and react to them?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Why people relate things to themselves that do not directly involve them and react to them?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the March 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer

I feared for my life every day, not from the Viet Cong. I had to watch my back 24-7 from men who wore the same uniform as me. At first, it made me bitter. I failed to find any connection between the racial tensions in the USA and black troops serving in Vietnam. How could I be held responsible for the conduct of other people more than 10,000 miles from me, people I had never even met?
_Billy Springer_

Billy explains how he was affected by racial discrimination even when he was miles away from his country, on an enemy land. Usually, soldiers have a great bond between them, and ideally it should be strengthened when they are in a foreign land, close to enemy lines. But Billy has experienced the opposite. His comrades made him suspicious of the possibility of a backstabbing by his fellow men. All these were because nothing else, but the racial uneasiness and civil rights movement in US, in which neither Billy nor his comrades were directly involved in.

This quality is commonly seen in humans. People tend to relate common issues to their own selves although they are not directly affected by or involved in those issues. And it is highly seen in religious and racial matters.

Why people tend to do so? Is it a feeling of unity? Or is it the feeling of doing the righteous thing against unfair treatment? Or is it merely use of an excuse to suppress the minority?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
stevie

Re: Why people relate things to themselves that do not directly involve them and react to them?

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 8:39 am Why people tend to do so? Is it a feeling of unity? Or is it the feeling of doing the righteous thing against unfair treatment? Or is it merely use of an excuse to suppress the minority?
it's cultural conditioning. Cultural conditioning causes illusory experiences. The self identifies with phenomena that have nothing to do with it.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Rende

Re: Why people relate things to themselves that do not directly involve them and react to them?

Post by Rende »

I always think of discussing problems in a personal way. So for me, our mind is a tool serving life, so in some aspects it's tricked by itself because the mind thinks in a natural way. This is an effect of defense. You can live with the thoughts you want or the ones that make you feel better, not anxious, if you are more aware of this. It just takes practice. Like focusing on what you really care about. My life and my mind's wish environment are what I should care about to be happy. But living also means that you should accept it as it is. We don't have the power to choose our thoughts. We can only have the will to change our life experiences, thoughts included.
The answer to a problem usually lies in the solution. The world is bigger than us. Life always finds a path.
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

So many people in the West are unhappy because the news media have taught them to care about issues they can do little about.

But can we really want everyone not to care about the rest of the world ?
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
Rende

Post by Rende »

Good_Egg wrote: March 4th, 2022, 10:47 am So many people in the West are unhappy because the news media have taught them to care about issues they can do little about.

I was asking myself the same thing. The world could be better if everyone cared only about themselves. It would be more predictable. But I think it's not like this because nature has its own path. We must accept that we are not robots. We are complex beings. But what if evolution is pending more on robotizing of our brains so we can become more independent and predictable?

I think someone who cares about stories that actually are not related to himself is doing so naturally by not being intensely aware of what he thinks. Because thoughts are like a tool of defense. I think it's sociology and psichology combined. The implementation of the story of "war in Europe" or itd. is sociological because I could be involved in it in some way. People are social so we usally don't imagine living alone outside of a group. So then psychology acts the tool of thinking cliks on and we start to search solutions.
The answer to a problem usually lies in the solution. The world is bigger than us. Life always finds a path.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 1:50 pm
Sushan wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 8:39 am Why people tend to do so? Is it a feeling of unity? Or is it the feeling of doing the righteous thing against unfair treatment? Or is it merely use of an excuse to suppress the minority?
it's cultural conditioning. Cultural conditioning causes illusory experiences. The self identifies with phenomena that have nothing to do with it.
Cultural (or social) conditioning can influence certain behaviours of people in a society, or some kind of a peer group. But the individuals have the right and strength to be their own selves despite what the society says. This is quite easy when you are away from the general society, as American soldiers got isolated in Vietnam, faraway from their motherland.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Rende wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 5:12 pm I always think of discussing problems in a personal way. So for me, our mind is a tool serving life, so in some aspects it's tricked by itself because the mind thinks in a natural way. This is an effect of defense. You can live with the thoughts you want or the ones that make you feel better, not anxious, if you are more aware of this. It just takes practice. Like focusing on what you really care about. My life and my mind's wish environment are what I should care about to be happy. But living also means that you should accept it as it is. We don't have the power to choose our thoughts. We can only have the will to change our life experiences, thoughts included.
Society is an important factor which determines our actions. But it is not the only factor or the most powerful or prominent factor. Anyone can choose to just ignore it, but with consequences. Those who are strong enough to face such consequences go against the majority and the popular ways.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Good_Egg wrote: March 4th, 2022, 10:47 am So many people in the West are unhappy because the news media have taught them to care about issues they can do little about.

Caring is one thing and relating things to one's self is another thing. We all feel empathy towards others when they are in despair. Closest example is the Ukraine war. We feel sorry for the Ukrainians. But we do not harass the innocent Russians blaming them for the decisions of their government.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Rende wrote: March 4th, 2022, 3:19 pm

I was asking myself the same thing. The world could be better if everyone cared only about themselves. It would be more predictable. But I think it's not like this because nature has its own path. We must accept that we are not robots. We are complex beings. But what if evolution is pending more on robotizing of our brains so we can become more independent and predictable?

I think someone who cares about stories that actually are not related to himself is doing so naturally by not being intensely aware of what he thinks. Because thoughts are like a tool of defense. I think it's sociology and psichology combined. The implementation of the story of "war in Europe" or itd. is sociological because I could be involved in it in some way. People are social so we usally don't imagine living alone outside of a group. So then psychology acts the tool of thinking cliks on and we start to search solutions.
I don't think being selfish will make the world peaceful. We help each other because we think about others. If we stop doing the former, the latter will stop too. Human is a social being, and with today's technological developments it is too difficult to be alone. But I think we still hold the power over our thoughts, decisions, and actions.

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

Sushan wrote: March 17th, 2022, 8:33 am
Cultural (or social) conditioning can influence certain behaviours of people in a society, or some kind of a peer group. But the individuals have the right and strength to be their own selves despite what the society says. This is quite easy when you are away from the general society, as American soldiers got isolated in Vietnam, faraway from their motherland.
Maybe they have the right "to be their own selves despite what the society says" (who or what vested that right?) but I doubt that individuals generally have the strength "to be their own selves despite what the society says" and I don't think that it's a matter of temporarily being away from society considering the impact of having been raised in society.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
detail

Post by detail »

Perhaps one should look at the corresponding problem more positive. If you could rely on the corresponding people and they would do this in deterministic way , one could get rid of enerving discussions and just point to the people that relate all things to themselves. So one would have more free time for the really important things in life.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: March 17th, 2022, 1:09 pm
Sushan wrote: March 17th, 2022, 8:33 am
Maybe they have the right "to be their own selves despite what the society says" (who or what vested that right?) but I doubt that individuals generally have the strength "to be their own selves despite what the society says" and I don't think that it's a matter of temporarily being away from society considering the impact of having been raised in society.
I think every human being gets that right with their birth. But the strength part hugely varies among the population, and I agree that many do not have the courage to go against the band wagon. But if someone listens to his/her conscience, atleast he/she will think twice before reacting to personally unrelated, but socially related matters.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

detail wrote: March 17th, 2022, 6:33 pm Perhaps one should look at the corresponding problem more positive. If you could rely on the corresponding people and they would do this in deterministic way , one could get rid of enerving discussions and just point to the people that relate all things to themselves. So one would have more free time for the really important things in life.
I am sorry but I did not get you. Did you mean that someone should be there to determine whether or not to relate things to one's self, and then it will save us from relating unnecessary things to ourselves and can invest that time and energy into more useful things productively?

– William James
detail

Post by detail »

Sushan wrote: March 20th, 2022, 1:58 am

I am sorry but I did not get you. Did you mean that someone should be there to determine whether or not to relate things to one's self, and then it will save us from relating unnecessary things to ourselves and can invest that time and energy into more useful things productively?
The fact is , that i rely on the fact that this person really relates it to oneself. So molestation in other cases is simply destored to this person because he/she felt involved.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

detail wrote: March 20th, 2022, 3:39 am
Sushan wrote: March 20th, 2022, 1:58 am

The fact is , that i rely on the fact that this person really relates it to oneself. So molestation in other cases is simply destored to this person because he/she felt involved.
I understand your point now. You're suggesting that if an individual consistently relates issues to themselves, even when they are not directly involved, this could act as a diversion or a shield for others who might otherwise be affected by the issue. This redirection of attention could potentially free up time and energy for those who are not directly involved in the problem to focus on more productive activities.

While this might work in some cases, it's important to recognize that such behavior might not always be beneficial or healthy for the person taking on that role. Constantly relating unrelated issues to oneself could lead to feelings of unnecessary guilt, stress, or anxiety. Moreover, it might also hinder the growth and development of empathy and understanding among those who are not affected by the issue.

– William James

Return to “My Enemy in Vietnam by Billy Springer”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream