Does always the problem lie with one's own self?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, 2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Does always the problem lie with one's own self?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the April 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, 2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD

Your partner becomes a mirror reflecting disowned parts of you. Instead of saying, “I feel angry,” you burst out with, “You are angry at me.” You experience sexual attraction to a colleague but accuse your partner of lusting after their administrative assistant. You feel unfulfilled, sensing something is missing in your life, so when your beloved enters the room, you look at them and say, “Is something wrong? You don’t seem happy.”
(Location 240 - Kindle version)

This author suggests that issues that we see as related to our partners are more or less our own problems (or missing pieces) that we relate to the other when we express it. In simple words, if we say "you are cheating on me" it implies that "I am cheating (or may willing to do so) on you".

What are your thoughts on this concept? Are we always at fault but not our partners?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
EricPH

Re: Does always the problem lie with one's own self?

Post by EricPH »

All the time we blame other people for our problems, we don't have to blame ourselves. We have more control when we try and change ourselves, rather than try and change others.

After 37 years of marriage we have taken it in turns to be the problem. If the relationship is worth fighting for, then you find ways to forgive and move on.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:50 pm This topic is about the April 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, 2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD

Your partner becomes a mirror reflecting disowned parts of you. Instead of saying, “I feel angry,” you burst out with, “You are angry at me.” You experience sexual attraction to a colleague but accuse your partner of lusting after their administrative assistant. You feel unfulfilled, sensing something is missing in your life, so when your beloved enters the room, you look at them and say, “Is something wrong? You don’t seem happy.”

This author suggests that issues that we see as related to our partners are more or less our own problems (or missing pieces) that we relate to the other when we express it. In simple words, if we say "you are cheating on me" it implies that "I am cheating (or may willing to do so) on you".

What are your thoughts on this concept? Are we always at fault but not our partners?
There is definitely truth in this observation. It isn't the case in every situation, but it is more often than most casual observers would suppose. Of course this is common knowledge to a student of psychology.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

EricPH wrote: April 10th, 2022, 3:09 am All the time we blame other people for our problems, we don't have to blame ourselves. We have more control when we try and change ourselves, rather than try and change others.

After 37 years of marriage we have taken it in turns to be the problem. If the relationship is worth fighting for, then you find ways to forgive and move on.
I do not have that much experience in a marriage life. So I think you are correct on that based on your experience. But after we change in every possible way, if the problem still lies there, then we have to think that the problem is not in ourselves, or atleast not in our control.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: April 10th, 2022, 3:17 am
Sushan wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:50 pm This topic is about the April 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, 2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD

There is definitely truth in this observation. It isn't the case in every situation, but it is more often than most casual observers would suppose. Of course this is common knowledge to a student of psychology.
Is this applicable to morbid jealousy as well (my example can be partly connected to this)? If I feel like my partner is cheating on me, should I check her purse, or should I sit somewhere and check my own mind for lustful thoughts about ladies that I meet in my workplace?

– William James
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Seeing faults in another as opposed to in oneself can be one of the biggest blindspots. It is present in all human relationships but can be magnified in the sexual relationship due to their significance. It is understood in psychology as projection, although it is likely that many don't wish to acknowledge it. To be aware of it may mean that someone has made a start towards overcoming it.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

JackDaydream wrote: April 10th, 2022, 8:12 am

Seeing faults in another as opposed to in oneself can be one of the biggest blindspots. It is present in all human relationships but can be magnified in the sexual relationship due to their significance. It is understood in psychology as projection, although it is likely that many don't wish to acknowledge it. To be aware of it may mean that someone has made a start towards overcoming it.
Accepting one's fault is the first step in correcting one's ways. Always thinking "I am correct but my partner is wrong" will do no good. But the extreme end of the opposite, always thinking and accepting "I am at fault" will do no good either, and it can be even depressing as well.

– William James
stevie

Post by stevie »

There is no use of speculating about "own" or "other" sources of cognitions as long as the material basis of the cognition process as such isn't understood.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: April 10th, 2022, 7:50 am

Is this applicable to morbid jealousy as well (my example can be partly connected to this)? If I feel like my partner is cheating on me, should I check her purse, or should I sit somewhere and check my own mind for lustful thoughts about ladies that I meet in my workplace?
There is a difference (separation) between what a subject feels internally and what they communicate to another.

To use your example, if you feel that your partner is cheating, the source of that feeling is likely external to you, ie it is the behavior of your partner. Go check it out. OTOH, when someone is actively cheating, they will use a psychological crutch to compensate for this by accusing their partner of cheating.
"As usual... it depends."
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

stevie wrote: April 11th, 2022, 2:44 am

There is no use of speculating about "own" or "other" sources of cognitions as long as the material basis of the cognition process as such isn't understood.
As far as I know we have not yet discovered the molecular basis of love. But don't we love our parents, friends, and wives/husbands? Sometimes complete understanding is not a dire necessity.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: April 11th, 2022, 3:27 am
Sushan wrote: April 10th, 2022, 7:50 am

There is a difference (separation) between what a subject feels internally and what they communicate to another.

To use your example, if you feel that your partner is cheating, the source of that feeling is likely external to you, ie it is the behavior of your partner. Go check it out. OTOH, when someone is actively cheating, they will use a psychological crutch to compensate for this by accusing their partner of cheating.
I agree with the feeling that one can get by the change of behaviour of his/her partner, that he/she is cheating. But do all the cheating husbands/wives accuse their partners on infidelity? No, some (or can say even many) take care of the partner as they used to do, or some even increase the care and affection (maybe just the face value) to hide their own secrets.

– William James
intentes_pupil

Post by intentes_pupil »

Sushan wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:50 pm [...]
What are your thoughts on this concept? [...]
One of the books that had the most impact in my life so far is "Nonviolent Communication" by Marshall Rosenberg.

The key of this book is to start with the premise that empathy is a natural human feature and therefore everyone is able to give, feel empathy. This is used as the starting point to relate with other human beings from "the heart".

The pillars of communication here are:

1. Observation
2. Needs
3. Feelings
4. Wishes/Petitions

In order to answer your question we must first understand some key concepts of these pillars:

1. Observation:
- differentiate observation (what can be objectively described) from a judgement.

2. Needs:
- Needs are universal. Everybody has the same needs. Only the degree differ.

3. Feelings:
- All feelings are real and give us information of some kind.
- A person/situation/action can be the trigger of our feelings, but the trigger is not responsible for that. We only are responsible of our own feelings.

4. Wishes/petition:
- Ask yourself what do you need in order to fulfill your unsatisfied need.
- Differentiate petition from demand.

In this sense, a conflict results from a situation in which your needs (or somebody else's) are not being satisfied. The identification of the objective trigger (observation), your unsatisfied needs and the feelings that arouse on you due to that experience are key to find a strategy, a wish, a petition that has the objective of fulfilling your needs (optimally all parts in the conflict).

I tried to summarize this as intelligible as possible.
But for further discussion, we can talk privately, open another feed or I would suggest just to read the book (it's really worthy).

Now, to your example:

Jealousy has for me two possible meanings:

1. The partner is doing something that might put the relationship in danger (for me relationship meaning the agreements stablished between two people). Therefore Jealousy is here an indicator of anger, fear (of loss) and a need for security (our boundaries/agreements are being trespassed or put in danger and the result might be personal/emotional loss).

Being able to identify those needs and feelings will help approach your partner, express what you have objectively seen that triggered your anger and explain what your needs are, what is important for you and why you are worried about loosing that.
Expressing what we observe without judging avoids that the other person reacts defensively. Expressing our feelings and needs result in a better chance that the other receives our words empathically.

2. The partner is doing something that does not represent any danger for the relationship but we make assumptions that lead to the arousal of anger and fear. In this case I understand that jealousy is giving us valuable information about our INSECURITIES.

This can be very enriching if we make the effort of reflection about ourselves. What is that insecurity coming from? What does it mean to us? How is that affecting our life?

In this case we can approach our partner explaining what we observed. What this observation triggered in us and how that relates to our insecurity. Here we can as for understanding, support, warmth or help to reflect ourselves and find out what the insecurities might be.

So I agree with the argument that everything comes from ourselves. We are the very only responsible agent for our own feelings even though the trigger is always an external factor.
Maryam
New Trial Member

Post by Maryam »

Maybe what we do not give ourselves; we want to have from others. That's why opposites attract. If we are well-fed by ourselves; why will we get much disturbed by what other person is doing and if he is doing the same what we are doing to ourselves!
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Maryam wrote: April 17th, 2022, 3:04 am Maybe what we do not give ourselves; we want to have from others. That's why opposites attract. If we are well-fed by ourselves; why will we get much disturbed by what other person is doing and if he is doing the same what we are doing to ourselves!
We all have a picture of an ideal life, which most of us may never have. But when we see someone who is close to 'our' ideal picture we simply long to be like him/her. Sometimes the feeling can become jealousy. Yet, I am not sure whether we get attracted to them.

If we think of our partners, do we look for what we do not have in them?

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

intentes_pupil wrote: April 12th, 2022, 7:50 am
Sushan wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:50 pm [...]
What are your thoughts on this concept? [...]
One of the books that had the most impact in my life so far is "Nonviolent Communication" by Marshall Rosenberg.

The key of this book is to start with the premise that empathy is a natural human feature and therefore everyone is able to give, feel empathy. This is used as the starting point to relate with other human beings from "the heart".

The pillars of communication here are:

1. Observation
2. Needs
3. Feelings
4. Wishes/Petitions

In order to answer your question we must first understand some key concepts of these pillars:

1. Observation:
- differentiate observation (what can be objectively described) from a judgement.

2. Needs:
- Needs are universal. Everybody has the same needs. Only the degree differ.

3. Feelings:
- All feelings are real and give us information of some kind.
- A person/situation/action can be the trigger of our feelings, but the trigger is not responsible for that. We only are responsible of our own feelings.

4. Wishes/petition:
- Ask yourself what do you need in order to fulfill your unsatisfied need.
- Differentiate petition from demand.

In this sense, a conflict results from a situation in which your needs (or somebody else's) are not being satisfied. The identification of the objective trigger (observation), your unsatisfied needs and the feelings that arouse on you due to that experience are key to find a strategy, a wish, a petition that has the objective of fulfilling your needs (optimally all parts in the conflict).

I tried to summarize this as intelligible as possible.
But for further discussion, we can talk privately, open another feed or I would suggest just to read the book (it's really worthy).

Now, to your example:

Jealousy has for me two possible meanings:

1. The partner is doing something that might put the relationship in danger (for me relationship meaning the agreements stablished between two people). Therefore Jealousy is here an indicator of anger, fear (of loss) and a need for security (our boundaries/agreements are being trespassed or put in danger and the result might be personal/emotional loss).

Being able to identify those needs and feelings will help approach your partner, express what you have objectively seen that triggered your anger and explain what your needs are, what is important for you and why you are worried about loosing that.
Expressing what we observe without judging avoids that the other person reacts defensively. Expressing our feelings and needs result in a better chance that the other receives our words empathically.

2. The partner is doing something that does not represent any danger for the relationship but we make assumptions that lead to the arousal of anger and fear. In this case I understand that jealousy is giving us valuable information about our INSECURITIES.

This can be very enriching if we make the effort of reflection about ourselves. What is that insecurity coming from? What does it mean to us? How is that affecting our life?

In this case we can approach our partner explaining what we observed. What this observation triggered in us and how that relates to our insecurity. Here we can as for understanding, support, warmth or help to reflect ourselves and find out what the insecurities might be.

So I agree with the argument that everything comes from ourselves. We are the very only responsible agent for our own feelings even though the trigger is always an external factor.
Thank you for the in detail explanation. I agree that although the trigges are external our feelings are internal. So how to handle our feelings is up to us and it is a skill that we have to develop.

Yet, in a scenario in which you catch your partner red handed while cheating on you, will you be able to express your observations just as they are, without coating them with your feelings? I know I cannot do that since I am a mundane human being with mundane thoughts and feelings.

If we keep aside the personal part, even the society expects you to react in a certain way when you catch your partner cheating on you. If the expected reaction does not come from you they will interpret it in various ways, and you will be unaccepted and disrespected in the society as well. We are no longer individuals, but social beings. So many factors have to be considered in every situation.

– William James

Return to “2X2 on the Ark: Five Secrets of a Great Relationship by Mary J Giuffra, PhD”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream