The reason why we have a law enforcement system ...

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
heracleitos

The reason why we have a law enforcement system ...

Post by heracleitos »

Imagine the mob running after a murderer. They want to get even with him. If they manage to catch him, the mob will tear his flesh to pieces.

One civilized solution is for law enforcement to jump into the fray, apprehend the suspect, incarcerate him, and hand him over to the court. That allows us to have an adversarial process in which the defence lawyer and the prosecutor argue in front of a judge why the suspect is (not) guilty. At the end of the trial, the judge can then pronounce a verdict and if needed administer punishment.

This punishment must satisfy the mob's sense of justice. Otherwise, there will be a credibility issue and then next time it will be harder for law enforcement to convince the mob to allow the officers to arrest the suspect and to peacefully go home.

In other words, the reason why we have a law enforcement system is mostly for mob control.

In the light of this assessment, now look at the anti-hijab protestors in Iran who want to abolish the mandatory Islamic dress code (hijab). What you can see on television, are hundreds of Iranian law enforcement officers trying to control the situation. What you cannot see, are the millions of people who insist on the Islamic dress code and who would love to tear the flesh of these anti-hijab protestors to pieces. Law enforcement are saving the lives of these anti-hijab protestors by maintaining the credibility of the law. That is mainly what stops a much larger and much more dangerous mob from attacking and destroying the anti-hijab protest.

So, yes, one woman died in the anti-hijab protest at the hands of law enforcement but thousands are still alive only by virtue of law enforcement.
Good_Egg

Re: The reason why we have a law enforcement system ...

Post by Good_Egg »

Is there some assumption in there that the law being enforced reflects the strongly-held will of the majority ?
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Good_Egg wrote: September 29th, 2022, 3:44 am Is there some assumption in there that the law being enforced reflects the strongly-held will of the majority ?
Not necessarily of the majority.

In his post, "The most intolerant wins. Dictatorship of a small minority.", Nassim Taleb argues that the opinion of the majority is irrelevant because the majority simply finds itself re-normalized into the dominant view. It is only the will of the most intolerant that matters.

I find it a bit disingenuous that the anti-hijab protesters take things out on the Iranian police, because without their protection they would not even be able to protest.

They are effectively in the same position as the people who want(ed) to do a gay pride in Belgrade. The gay pride is existentially dependent on massive police protection in Serbia. So, they'd better be cooperative and agreeable instead of incessantly black mouthing the hand that protects them from the elements and the other laws of nature.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

heracleitos wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:47 pm Imagine the mob running after a murderer. They want to get even with him. If they manage to catch him, the mob will tear his flesh to pieces.

One civilized solution is for law enforcement to jump into the fray, apprehend the suspect, incarcerate him, and hand him over to the court. That allows us to have an adversarial process in which the defence lawyer and the prosecutor argue in front of a judge why the suspect is (not) guilty. At the end of the trial, the judge can then pronounce a verdict and if needed administer punishment.

This punishment must satisfy the mob's sense of justice. Otherwise, there will be a credibility issue and then next time it will be harder for law enforcement to convince the mob to allow the officers to arrest the suspect and to peacefully go home.

In other words, the reason why we have a law enforcement system is mostly for mob control.
It has always been my understanding that we, as individuals in a democratic system, make a deal with society: the police deal with law enforcement, thereby protecting us, the innocent majority, and in return, we agree not to indulge in vigilante action(s).

Have I had it wrong all these years? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

heracleitos wrote: September 29th, 2022, 5:57 am In his post, "The most intolerant wins. Dictatorship of a small minority.", Nassim Taleb argues that the opinion of the majority is irrelevant because the majority simply finds itself re-normalized into the dominant view. It is only the will of the most intolerant that matters.
There is an element of truth in that, distasteful though it might be... 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

heracleitos wrote: September 29th, 2022, 5:57 am In his post, "The most intolerant wins. Dictatorship of a small minority.", Nassim Taleb argues that the opinion of the majority is irrelevant because the majority simply finds itself re-normalized into the dominant view. It is only the will of the most intolerant that matters.

I find it a bit disingenuous that the anti-hijab protesters take things out on the Iranian police, because without their protection they would not even be able to protest.
So you've three groups of people. A group who feel strongly enough to carry out acts of protest against the status quo, a group who feel strongly enough to protest against any changes to the status quo, and a (possibly majority) group who will go along with whatever is decided.

If you say it's the job of the police to protect all three groups from the actions of the two active groups, then I wouldn't disagree. That seems to imply a certain neutrality - it's not for the police as police to be for or against any particular change (although each individual when off-duty may choose to identify with any of the three groups).

You're right that it behooves the smaller (and thus weaker) of the two active groups to acknowledge that protection. As long as the police are neutral, that neutrality should be respected by all.

It's open to question how much of a minority the anti-hijab protesters are. They'd probably claim to be speaking for 50% of the population. Which of course doesn't mean that they are. But in the absence of opinion polling, how do you know ?
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Good_Egg wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 5:08 am

So you've three groups of people. A group who feel strongly enough to carry out acts of protest against the status quo, a group who feel strongly enough to protest against any changes to the status quo, and a (possibly majority) group who will go along with whatever is decided.

If you say it's the job of the police to protect all three groups from the actions of the two active groups, then I wouldn't disagree. That seems to imply a certain neutrality - it's not for the police as police to be for or against any particular change (although each individual when off-duty may choose to identify with any of the three groups).

You're right that it behooves the smaller (and thus weaker) of the two active groups to acknowledge that protection. As long as the police are neutral, that neutrality should be respected by all.

It's open to question how much of a minority the anti-hijab protesters are. They'd probably claim to be speaking for 50% of the population. Which of course doesn't mean that they are. But in the absence of opinion polling, how do you know ?
Violence is not a democracy in which the majority would prevail. Beyond a critical minimum, head count does not even matter. It is usually the more aggressive and the more reckless that wins. In the context of mobs, battle strategy does not exist either. A relatively small number of law enforcement officers should be able to keep the different mobs apart. The problem is that it is not possible to completely exclude injuries, or once in a while, even dead bodies. It really looks like a "thankless" job.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

In the case of the mob activity on January 6, law enforcement was tasked to repel the mob rather than protect it.

The reason for law enforcement isn’t mostly to protect mobs; it’s to enforce the law and only to enforce the law.

Police presence is needed at protests because members of either group, the protesters or the anti-protesters, are prohibited from causing bodily harm to members of the opposite group.

Police are needed at protests because it is unlawful to destroy property and to loot.

Every so often police are called upon to manage a mob situation. Every day police are employed to enforce the law in so many other ways.

The purpose of a law enforcement system is to enforce all the laws, not just, and certainly not mostly, to enforce those related to mobs and vigilantes.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

The ire of the protesters is rightly aimed at the police, who were there to control the mob rather than protect it, and who killed a young woman for inappropriate wearing of her attire.
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

AverageBozo wrote: October 4th, 2022, 2:32 pm In the case of the mob activity on January 6, law enforcement was tasked to repel the mob rather than protect it.
Well, I certainly understand that people can be critical of law enforcement.

I have personally never been beaten up by them. I just got intercepted a few times in my life, while driving a car.

With a bit of smooth talking -- and here in SE Asia -- along with giving them a customary tip, things always work out perfectly fine.

Other people may have a different life experience.

They have never been beaten up by their perennially absent father, and now it is law enforcement that needs to belatedly do the job with their sticks. So, yeah, the line between "repelling" and "protecting" or even "educating" can be very thin.

In my opinion, when it comes to that, you'd better not resist arrest. As I see it, you'd better be cooperative and conciliatory. Since it was obviously just a misunderstanding, as you politely and eloquently convinced them of, during the interrogation, they will just let you go. Possibly admit some minor wrongdoing and they will merely advise you not to do that again.

Concerning the dead woman, just like the typical feminist, she may very well have been arrogant, disrespectful, argumentative, confrontational, masculine, and have had the deeply ingrained need to always be right. She could surely attract a man -- most women can -- but she could never keep him; and soon she started blaming her problem on wearing hijab. It is always someone else's fault.

Law enforcement officers are quite predictable. If there are people who are more interesting to beat up than yourself, that is exactly what they will be doing. Seriously, I do not need to run faster than the bear. I only need to run faster than you.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

heracleitos wrote: October 4th, 2022, 11:21 pm Concerning the dead woman, just like the typical feminist, she may very well have been arrogant, disrespectful, argumentative, confrontational, masculine, and have had the deeply ingrained need to always be right. She could surely attract a man -- most women can -- but she could never keep him; and soon she started blaming her problem on wearing hijab. It is always someone else's fault.
From this distance, geographical and cultural, you can tell all of this, which runs quite contrary to the news as reported? A woman was dealt with in a brutal fashion for something that seems to many like a very minor offence. But you can see that it's all her own fault, and that she can't "keep" a man? I'm not sure you're observing from the same planet that I am.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:46 am From this distance, geographical and cultural, you can tell all of this, which runs quite contrary to the news as reported?
Western propaganda news?
Cannot be trusted.
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:46 am A woman was dealt with in a brutal fashion for something that seems to many like a very minor offence. But you can see that it's all her own fault, and that she can't "keep" a man? I'm not sure you're observing from the same planet that I am.
It you are disrespectful to law enforcement officers, the odds are all off. The thing that triggers them most of all, is a lack of respect.

Did she do that? Not sure, because I was not there.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

heracleitos wrote: October 5th, 2022, 9:22 am If you are disrespectful to law enforcement officers, the odds are all off. The thing that triggers them most of all, is a lack of respect.

And yet you still can see and understand enough to dismiss the victim thus:
heracleitos wrote: October 4th, 2022, 11:21 pm Concerning the dead woman, just like the typical feminist, she may very well have been arrogant, disrespectful, argumentative, confrontational, masculine, and have had the deeply ingrained need to always be right.
Is she really like that? In your own words, you don't know because you weren't there. So why would you insult and dismiss this poor dead woman, when you have admitted you don't know enough to condemn or praise her?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:49 am
heracleitos wrote: October 5th, 2022, 9:22 am If you are disrespectful to law enforcement officers, the odds are all off. The thing that triggers them most of all, is a lack of respect.

And yet you still can see and understand enough to dismiss the victim thus:
heracleitos wrote: October 4th, 2022, 11:21 pm Concerning the dead woman, just like the typical feminist, she may very well have been arrogant, disrespectful, argumentative, confrontational, masculine, and have had the deeply ingrained need to always be right.
Is she really like that? In your own words, you don't know because you weren't there. So why would you insult and dismiss this poor dead woman, when you have admitted you don't know enough to condemn or praise her?
The answer is simple - misogyny.
Mounce574
Premium Member

Post by Mounce574 »

My question is, did the police kill her or was there other circumstances where opposing protestors may have done the deed?
"Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben Shapiro
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." NF from Motto

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream