Why don't police officers get prosecuted properly?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Why don't police officers get prosecuted properly?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

MidiChlorian, great point about the police unions. On the list of answers to the titular question, "Why don't police officers get prosecuted properly", that surely is somewhere on the top of that list.

Wilson, I appreciate your thoughtful responses, and I am enjoying this discussion. Again excuse the point-by-point way I quote and respond to your post below.
Wilson wrote:You may think Wikipedia is not reliable, but I disagree [...]
Well Wikipedia disagrees with you which makes your whole argument regarding Wikipedia contradictory. See the page "Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_a_reliable_source" on Wikipedia.

"Wikipedia is not a reliable source" -Wikipedia
Wilson wrote:Here are a couple of excerpts from americanthinker.com/articles/2014/12/a_ ... agedy.html
Before I will accept the analysis of the writer in the article you linked to being accepted into our evidence in this debate, we must first analyze the source. Who is the alleged expert writer of the article? What are his credentials? Does he have a political bias?

What is the publication policy of "AmericanThinker"? Is it a blog or does it follow journalistic standards?
Wilson wrote:The racial outrage is getting ridiculous. Yesterday a black man was pointing a gun at policemen and he was shot and killed, and the black community went ballistic.
Scott wrote:Source, please. Is the black community upset because they don't want black people to be shot by police when those black people are pointing guns at police or are they upset because they disagree with the facts you have alleged without even a single source? If the latter, then your second sentence in know way supports the conclusion of the first, and has very fallacious implications.
Wilson wrote:Here's a newspaper article about the incident: nypost.com/2014/12/24/officer-shoots-ki ... -louis-pd/
Please stop posting bare links. Links must be summarized, or at least you must specify where I need to look in the article to see what the article allegedly supports as a source, such as a page and/or paragraph number. (Nothing personal to you and your links, but rather this is the way I believe sources must be used in philosophical discussion/debate to be conducive to the discussion/debate.)

Also, you didn't answer my question: "Is the black community upset because they don't want black people to be shot by police when those black people are pointing guns at police or are they upset because they disagree with the facts you have alleged without even a single source?"
Wilson wrote:I think there's racial prejudice in a lot of people. Blacks against whites, whites against blacks.
That's true, but it also goes deeper than that. Scientific studies show consistently that almost all people (in the USA at least) are racist and share the same stereotypes. It's not just whites against blacks. It's blacks against blacks too. Some studies even show that the racism seems to be unconscious. Regardless of the race of the first person, a first person will unfairly estimate the likelihood that a black person is poorly educated, committing a crime, or unfit for a job. I can provided many sources to show these statistics. However, the most poignant example might be from a hidden camera TV show as explained in my topic on this site: Racism as the epitome of moral philosophy. In the video, black people and white people do the same thing, and black people are treated as terrible criminals and white people are assisted by bystanders. Another poignant but not directly scientific example is simply what is being shown by the #CrimeingWhileWhite hashtag. But again that should only be taken as an illustration of what the statistics actually show in terms of Whites benefiting over blacks from a legal double standard. However, as I said, I have the raw data sourced by scientific studies if the reality of statistically verified discrimination is doubted, which it is my understanding you do not doubt but rather argue is justified below.
Wilson wrote:But it depends on your definition of prejudice. Is it prejudice to think that a black man is more likely to murder someone than an Asian man?
Because he is black? Yes. It's not only prejudice; it's foolish. It's a misuse of statistical knowledge--applying the general to the specific, that is. It's like pinning an 80-year old-man with bad lungs against a fit, strong woman in a boxing match and betting on the 80-year-old on grounds that 'statistically men beat women in fights'.
Wilson wrote:Or is that simply looking at the statistics? (Black people are almost ten times as likely to be murdered and to commit murder than whites and Asians.
Source please. And please make sure it is a source that black people commit murder more often than whites/asians not a source that black people get convicted of murder more often than whites/asians. The latter would just support the argument of prejudice being a huge factor in society and racists being people who foolishly misapply and misunderstand statistics and/or believe patently false things.
Wilson wrote:Young black men are much more likely to be incarcerated than whites and Asians, and while you may think that's partly due to inconsistent enforcement of laws, I think that it's a fact that there's a culture of criminality in some inner cities, and a lot more young black men are inclined to break the law than whites and Asians.
You thinking it doesn't make it true. Do you have any credible evidence or argument to support the would-be conclusion that the disproportionate incarceration of certain races is due to an alleged culture of criminality as opposed to racism in creating the laws, enforcing the laws, and judicially following through to incarceration? The racial prejudice that would cause two people who commit the same act to statistically receive significantly different sentences/verdicts/arrest-records on average simply because they are different races is easily verifiable. And it's not even from the law. We could show that--just for one example of how racism spreads in effect--unemployed people are more likely to get arrested and that all things the same a white person will get a job over a black person. Indeed, studies have shown that simply sending in identical fake resumes to jobs with only the name changed leads to the black-sounding names not getting called over the white-sounding names. That's just one of many examples. But really the issue is that it's either nature or nurture/ And while there is plenty of evidence the systemic discrimination against blacks leads to at least a large part of these discrepancies, I have seen no evidence that black people are genetically predisposed to committing crime or being poor, let alone having a genetic predisposition to a culture thereof.
Wilson wrote:We can discuss the reasons for that, but I don't think there's much doubt about it.) Here's a link: poynter.org/news/mediawire/266133/fact- ... -shooting/
Reasons for what? (I am not clicking on a link unless I am told exactly what it is supposed to be a source of, exactly why it is a source and exactly where the text that supports the fact you say it supports can be found.)
Wilson wrote:So I don't doubt that a lot of policemen who deal mostly with black criminals harbor a mistrust of black people. I hope that most cops treat individuals as individuals rather than racial stereotypes [...]
I agree with this part but then it flows into the below:
Wilson wrote: [...] but a heightened suspicion of black suspects is somewhat justified, based on statistics.
No, that is logically invalid. It is quite clearly a circular argument. The so-called justification for the law enforcement and judicial system being prejudiced against blacks by using stereotypes is that the law enforcement and judicial system arrests and imprisons more blacks. That's blatantly circular and logically invalid, even if the latter is separated by several paragraphs of text from the former.

Is there any other alleged justification for the existence of a racist law enforcement and racist judicial system that statistically speaking will more often arrest, more often convict, and give a longer average sentence to a black person versus a white person if they commit the same act and face the same evidence?
Wilson wrote:But the point of my statement was that the main problem is in how policemen deal with people considered dangerous, regardless of race. I'm sure there are plenty of cases of white suspects who weren't treated kindly by white cops, and plenty of cases of black suspects who weren't treated kindly by black cops. But of course those incidents don't become "causes"
I agree very strongly with the first sentence in the above quote. This isn't about one man who was killed by the police. Thousands of people are killed by the police each year in the USA, many unarmed and many children. Not only are there problems with police procedure that you wisely point out; But also this happens because of other factors such as the existence of laws that needlessly, violently and expensively create a massive non-violent criminal class with many lives lost, some as intended damage and some as collateral damage, in the likes of the war on drugs.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

Scott, no offense, but you're acting unreasonably in your insistence on gold-plated, expert-validated, officially-vetted links before you read them. I'm not on a crusade here, I don't have unlimited time to read through a hundred links to find one that will meet your high standards. You asked for links, I googled, picked one that sounded applicable, and posted it. If you're interested in getting the facts rather than making a point, please search, yourself. The incident I mentioned was pretty clear-cut. Most of the civic leaders, including black leaders, are telling the public that this is a case of the black kid initiating the incident. The link I gave you specifies the particular case and you can investigate further if you don't believe my account.

In the case of the statistics I posted about how many black people are murdered compared to whites and Asians, that's a fairly reliable number. It has nothing to do with enforcement tendencies or racism, it's simply counting the number of murder victims compared to the population. And I've read over and over that the great majority of black murder victims are killed by black people. Really beyond dispute, so I'm not going to spend time searching for links to satisfy you. If you disagree, find me some evidence.

Scott, you impress me as an intelligent guy and a great moderator. However, on the subject of race I feel that you are unable to look at reality squarely in the face. It's obvious that young black men are MUCH more likely to be involved in crime than young white or Asian men. (Young Hispanic men are also more likely than whites and Asians.) Anyone who doesn't accept that fact is simply refusing to accept the evidence around him. In other words, I think on this particular subject you feel so badly for how black people have been treated in the past that you have turned off your critical reasoning faculties.

We can discuss the reasons for increased black crime, how the statistics are distorted by variations in police attitudes or racism, what should be done, and so on - but if someone refuses to agree that crime is more of a problem in the black community than elsewhere, I feel that he is on a holy mission rather than interested in the truth.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Wilson wrote:Scott, no offense, but you're acting unreasonably in your insistence on gold-plated, expert-validated, officially-vetted links before you read them. I'm not on a crusade here, I don't have unlimited time to read through a hundred links to find one that will meet your high standards. You asked for links, I googled, picked one that sounded applicable, and posted it. If you're interested in getting the facts rather than making a point, please search, yourself.
I understand your complaint, but as you don't have the time I certainly do not have the time to read through piles of text you've merely Google searched a link to in search of evidence in support of your otherwise unsourced claims. If I wished to argue with myself, I will without using the forums.
Wilson wrote:The racial outrage is getting ridiculous. Yesterday a black man was pointing a gun at policemen and he was shot and killed, and the black community went ballistic.
Scott wrote:Source, please. Is the black community upset because they don't want black people to be shot by police when those black people are pointing guns at police or are they upset because they disagree with the facts you have alleged without even a single source? If the latter, then your second sentence in know way supports the conclusion of the first, and has very fallacious implications.
Wilson wrote:Here's a newspaper article about the incident: nypost.com/2014/12/24/officer-shoots-ki ... -louis-pd/
Please stop posting bare links. Links must be summarized, or at least you must specify where I need to look in the article to see what the article allegedly supports as a source, such as a page and/or paragraph number. (Nothing personal to you and your links, but rather this is the way I believe sources must be used in philosophical discussion/debate to be conducive to the discussion/debate.)

Also, you didn't answer my question: "Is the black community upset because they don't want black people to be shot by police when those black people are pointing guns at police or are they upset because they disagree with the facts you have alleged without even a single source?"
Wilson wrote:The incident I mentioned was pretty clear-cut. Most of the civic leaders, including black leaders, are telling the public that this is a case of the black kid initiating the incident. The link I gave you specifies the particular case and you can investigate further if you don't believe my account.
If it is clear-cut, please answer the question then: "Is the black community upset because they don't want black people to be shot by police when those black people are pointing guns at police or are they upset because they disagree with the facts you have alleged without even a single source?"
Wilson wrote:Is it prejudice to think that a black man is more likely to murder someone than an Asian man? Or is that simply looking at the statistics? (Black people are almost ten times as likely to be murdered and to commit murder than whites and Asians.
Scott wrote:Source please. And please make sure it is a source that black people commit murder more often than whites/asians not a source that black people get convicted of murder more often than whites/asians. The latter would just support the argument of prejudice being a huge factor in society and racists being people who foolishly misapply and misunderstand statistics and/or believe patently false things.
Wilson wrote:In the case of the statistics I posted about how many black people are murdered compared to whites and Asians, that's a fairly reliable number. It has nothing to do with enforcement tendencies or racism, it's simply counting the number of murder victims compared to the population.
I do not dispute that black people are murdered more often than whites in the USA, nor do I see how that relates to the topic directly anyway. My concern is with the claim that "Black people are almost ten times as likely [...] to commit murder than whites and Asians." Again, I ask what is the source for that statistical claim, and again as I asked before are you sure the source actually says that black people commit more murder 10x as often as opposed to getting convicted of murder 10x as often?
Wilson wrote:And I've read over and over that the great majority of black murder victims are killed by black people.
The majority of white victims are killed by white people. What's your point?
Wilson wrote:If you disagree, find me some evidence.
Shifting the burden of proof fallacy. You presented the statistics for which I am asking for evidence.
Wilson wrote:Scott, you impress me as an intelligent guy and a great moderator. However, on the subject of race I feel that you are unable to look at reality squarely in the face. It's obvious that young black men are MUCH more likely to be involved in crime than young white or Asian men.
To this I would have 2 sets of questions that I think a person will need to answer for themselves to be considered to be 'looking reality in the face':

1) What do you mean by "involved in crime"? Do you mean that they get arrested, convicted and/or imprisoned for committing crime more often or do you mean that they actually commit crime more often?

2) Are you saying that black people are genetically predisposed to committing more crime, or is the alleged discrepancy due to nurture (i.e. society being racist)?

Wilson wrote:(Young Hispanic men are also more likely than whites and Asians.)
Incidentally, hispanic isn't a continental race like black and white. Hispanics, like everyone else, are also either White or Black or Asian or Native-American or a combination thereof. The Latin/Greco distinction is separate and more recent than the Asian/African/American/European ancestral distinction.
Wilson wrote:Anyone who doesn't accept that fact is simply refusing to accept the evidence around him.
What evidence? Saying evidence is there doesn't make it so. Doing a quick google search for said evidence and then just posting a link to some internet site that seems like it might support something similar without having the 'unlimited time' to post properly specific citation doesn't make it so.
Wilson wrote:In other words, I think on this particular subject you feel so badly for how black people have been treated in the past that you have turned off your critical reasoning faculties.
This is either ad hominem or you have put the cart before the horse. Instead of providing evidence that what you have claimed is true, you are making conclusions about what that would mean about my reasoning abilities if what you claimed is true. Those conclusions are irrelevant and unconvincing.
Wilson wrote:We can discuss the reasons for increased black crime, how the statistics are distorted by variations in police attitudes or racism, what should be done, and so on - but if someone refuses to agree that crime is more of a problem in the black community than elsewhere [...]
The problem with agreeing with that statement and other similar ones you have made is that it is not even clear what you mean. I have asked repeatedly and yet to get answer to my questions. "Crime is more of a problem in the[...]"? What does that even mean? I have never disagreed that blacks get arrested more often than whites and that that is problem.
Wilson wrote:[...] I feel that he is on a holy mission rather than interested in the truth.
I feel that that is an ad hominem argument. It is a common way to respond when someone disagrees, but it is fallacious and unconvincing. In contrast, when someone disagrees with me, I ask them for evidence to support their claims with which I disagree, and I present evidence or argument for the claims of mine with which they explicitly disagree, instead of making conclusions about that person's personal goals, intentions or character.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

Well, this is turning into quite a thang.

You didn't trust my summary and asked for a source for that story, so I posted a link. And you said:

My point was that here was a situation where a black man pointed a gun at a policeman and was shot. As far as I can tell the shooting was justified. Yet the black community began demonstrating against the police. You ask me why the black community is upset? My answer is that in the present climate the facts of the case almost don't matter to those members of the black community who are protesting. There's a general anger against policemen and they are looking for any excuse to express that anger. Some of them just want to riot and cause damage to show their frustration. I find that rather disgusting.

Please search for articles about the incident in question. You refused to accept my interpretation of events, which is fine, but you then refused to search for articles about it. In other words, it seems to me that you were more interested in refuting what I had written than in learning what actually happened. Bad form. Facts do matter.
I do not dispute that black people are murdered more often than whites in the USA, nor do I see how that relates to the topic directly anyway. My concern is with the claim that "Black people are almost ten times as likely [...] to commit murder than whites and Asians." Again, I ask what is the source for that statistical claim, and again as I asked before are you sure the source actually says that black people commit more murder 10x as often as opposed to getting convicted of murder 10x as often?
Wilson wrote:And I've read over and over that the great majority of black murder victims are killed by black people.
The majority of white victims are killed by white people. What's your point?
Well, if you agree that many, many more black people are murdered than whites proportionately (close to 10 to 1, I believe), and that the great majority of murder victims are killed by members of the same race, doesn't it follow that blacks are committing more murders than whites (proportionately)? I think I posted statistics that showed a hugely disproportionate number of black murder victims, and the reason I posted that rather than conviction rates was to eliminate for the most part the effect of the criminal justice system, since I assumed that you feel that any differences in incarceration rates must be due to racism and couldn't possible be due to differences in behavior, so I felt you'd not be swayed by conviction statistics.
Wilson wrote:In other words, I think on this particular subject you feel so badly for how black people have been treated in the past that you have turned off your critical reasoning faculties.
This is either ad hominem or you have put the cart before the horse. Instead of providing evidence that what you have claimed is true, you are making conclusions about what that would mean about my reasoning abilities if what you claimed is true. Those conclusions are irrelevant and unconvincing.
I was stating my opinion as why you believe as you do, based on what you've written. That's allowed, is it not? I wasn't trying to be insulting. Honestly, I have trouble understanding how anyone can dispute that the crime statistics indicate a real problem in the black community. And ignoring the facts of an issue makes it impossible to find a fix.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

Bottom line, don't brandish a gun in public, don't resist arrest, maybe even be respectful, and your chances of getting killed by a policeman are just about nil.
Indeed! But it is possible to use racism as a shield and get away with bad behaviour on account of your race. Collective punishment is unfair yet it happens every day. Does your skin-colour entitle you to commit crimes with impunity? It shouldn't, but it does. Political Correctness is easily more trouble than it's worth, given the extremes to which Liberal PC guardians go. In the case of white-on-black violence, its opposite (black-on-white violence) is something we treat like a myth. Does the "Knock-Out Game" really exist or do white people lie about being assaulted by city-dwelling blacks?

The racial profiling of suspects by law enforcement is unjust but inevitable. Police officers don't get prosecuted properly for the same reason dangerous felons escape justice and make a mockery of the legal system.

Scott, you seem to have adopted a rather black-and-white moral view of these matters (no pun).
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Theophane wrote: Does your skin-colour entitle you to commit crimes with impunity?
No it doesn't. If this is your ambition you'll have to become a banker and get a job on Wall St.

Regards Leo
PaulNZ
Favorite Philosopher: Marcus Aurelius

Post by PaulNZ »

I was a police officer for 15 years, the first 6 of which were on the street in uniform. I was trained to apply the carotid hold, which appeared to be what the officer who put his arm around the offenders neck was trying to apply. Without applying pressure to the windpipe (because it sits in the "V" of the elbow) it reduces the bloodflow to the brain causing a temporary loss of consciousness for about 8 to 10 seconds - usually enough to apply the handcuffs if you're quick enough. It is notoriously difficult to apply to large people and it didn't appear to me as though the arresting officer trying to apply the hold managed to get it on - he ended up using his weight to pull the offenders head toward the ground. Large people are also susceptible to positional asphyxia - a physical inability to breathe brought about by a large gut restricting the offenders ability to breathe in and out. Deaths have ocurred both from carotid holds that are applied properly and from positional asphyxia where offenders are restrained. I am not aware of any deaths to have ocurred from a carotid hold that has been applied incorrectly i.e. crushing the windpipe. Squeezing the windpipe often ocurrs but this chap was talking. When this hold has been applied to me in training incorrectly and my windpipe was squeezed, my only reflex was to cough violently, almost to the point of vomitting, but as soon as the pressure was released I was fine. The only way a properly applied carotid hold could cause serious injury or death would be if there was a pre-existing medical condition or the officer applying the hold dropped the offender after rendering the person unconscious.

Just a few thoughts from an operational perspective.
ScottieX

Post by ScottieX »

I think generally it would be hard to prove a police officer was guilty of a crime. Police generally will have a reasonable record of honesty, those they harm will probably have a long record of dishonesty and police will have a wide range of circumstances where harming that person is legitimate and a large support network for finding those reasons such that they can be used in a defense.

And a good defense almost always beats a good prosecution (or at least so I learned from the OJ Simpson case).
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

There's nothing wrong being a criminal, Scott. Be it a criminal with a badge or one without.

-- Updated January 2nd, 2015, 5:26 pm to add the following --
Theophane wrote:There's nothing wrong being a criminal, Scott, be it a criminal with a badge or one without.You said it yourself in Post #13.
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

ScottieX wrote:I think generally it would be hard to prove a police officer was guilty of a crime.
Why is it harder to prove this for a police officer than it is for any other citizen? Surely this is the central thrust of the entire OP because what you say is true and damn well shouldn't be. If the rule of law is to have any meaning it must be uniformly applied.
ScottieX wrote:And a good defense almost always beats a good prosecution
This is due to a simple flaw in our criminal justice system which admits of no easy resolution. Reasonable doubt is impossible to define and trial by jury is vastly less just than trial by empanelled judges who better understand the nuances of criminal law. In the US the lawyers even get to pick the jury, a corruption of justice which makes them the laughing stock of the jurisprudence world.

Regards Leo
PaulNZ
Favorite Philosopher: Marcus Aurelius

Post by PaulNZ »

Obvious Leo wrote:
ScottieX wrote:I think generally it would be hard to prove a police officer was guilty of a crime.
Why is it harder to prove this for a police officer than it is for any other citizen? Surely this is the central thrust of the entire OP because what you say is true and damn well shouldn't be. If the rule of law is to have any meaning it must be uniformly applied.
ScottieX wrote:And a good defense almost always beats a good prosecution
This is due to a simple flaw in our criminal justice system which admits of no easy resolution. Reasonable doubt is impossible to define and trial by jury is vastly less just than trial by empanelled judges who better understand the nuances of criminal law. In the US the lawyers even get to pick the jury, a corruption of justice which makes them the laughing stock of the jurisprudence world.

Regards Leo
Juries and Judges are human beings foremost and as such are subject to the same prejudices and cognitive biases that we are all subject to, to varying degrees. Compounding this is a system weighted in the favour of those being prosecuted, simply as a safety margin to minimise the number of those persons wrongfully convicted. Judges have many rules about what warnings to give a jury, in particular about how much weight they attach to witness testimony, identity where identity is in issue, intoxication, reputation and any number of other things that arise duriong the course of a hearing. The prosecution present facts within the rules of evidence, whereas the defence can "play" with the evidence and hypothesise all sorts of unlikely scenarios to create doubt. The threshold of beyond reasonable doubt is frustrating for prosecutors but necessary. There are a lot of influences on a jury and on Judges, most of which relate to how they feel, not necessarily the evidence presented. I have known Judges be swayed quite clearly to onlookers like myself, by position in society and status of the accused. This again is human nature and is shown in the crime statistics. Compare the sentences handed out to middle class white people with the same offending comitted by poorer coloured people, and typically there is a noticable difference. It is human nature to catogorise and group things and behave in a groupish manner. The colour of the skin is one of those groupings; it is morally wrong but we are groupish animals. I suspect these types of influence are at play in all people, police, judges, offenders and through all ethnicities. Jonathan Haidt in The Righteous Mind talks about some of this stuff. Nasty stuff but I suppose from an evolutionary perspective, quite useful for survival - us versus them, which after all is exactly what the Court environment is.
ScottieX

Post by ScottieX »

Obvious Leo wrote:Why is it harder to prove this for a police officer than it is for any other citizen? Surely this is the central thrust of the entire OP because what you say is true and damn well shouldn't be. If the rule of law is to have any meaning it must be uniformly applied.
I think you are confusing the law being universally applied with getting fair outcomes. These two things are not the same.

If you want to correct for the fact that in practice police are not convicted you need the rule of law to NOT be uniformly applied, some sort of "with the powers of the police come extra responsibilities - and legal risks."
Well in theory you could just gradually increase the amount of trials that go to judges over a decade or two. But I suppose there are forces at work that would resist that sort of a move.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream