In a representative democracy, who should have the vote?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

In a representative democracy, who should have the vote?

Post by Wilson »

Let's say that you are designing the constitution of a large new country. Let's postulate that it's the size of the United States, with similar demographics. Who should be given the right to vote?

Men only, or both sexes?

Certain races only, or all races?

Twenty-one years and older or eighteen years and older?

Wealthy people only, middle class or better, or every socioeconomic class?

Only those who believe in God, or heathens, too?

Property owners only, or everyone?

Those with college degrees, those with high school (or equivalent) degrees, or everyone, regardless of educational attainment?

Those with IQ tests above 120, those 100 or above, those 80 or above, or everyone?

Those certified as psychologically healthy, those never diagnosed as psychotic, or everyone, regardless of mental status?

Those never convicted of criminal activity, or everyone?

Tongue in cheek, of course, but it's a serious question. A representative democracy is, in my opinion, the only way to go, because otherwise the strongest and most ruthless will take power and run the country for his benefit. Even a great and benevolent dictator will likely be followed by a despot.

So if we agree that we want this country to be one whose leaders are elected by the rabble, who should have the vote? Which suffrage criteria, if any, should be applied to give this new county its best chance at fairness and prosperity?
Harbal

Re: In a representative democracy, who should have the vote?

Post by Harbal »

Given that the members of some of the classes you mention would not have the right to vote, what social responsibilities would they be exempt from in return?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Harbal wrote:Given that the members of some of the classes you mention would not have the right to vote, what social responsibilities would they be exempt from in return?
I don't have a firm opinion on the subject. Fairness says that almost everyone of a certain age should have the vote, but so many people are so inept at knowing what's good for them that they might be better served if only the smart and fair-minded people of good will could vote. Probably no rational way to select and empower those people, though.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

I would prefer universal suffrage - following a citizenship test. Why not have the native citizens meet the same standards that we require of naturalized ones? You should be allowed to take the test as soon as you want to: if a nine-year knows how government works, understands the issues and cares enough to make the effort, let her vote. Prisoners, too - They're paying their penance in the country, I don't see why they should be deprived of a voice in its administration.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alias wrote: They're paying their penance in the country
Isn't being removed from society and prevented from participating in it, albeit temporarily, part of their penance?
Alias

Post by Alias »

Yes, that's the idea. But, in fact, if you've been convicted of a felony, you lose the franchise forever. Given the high arrest rate, the number of wrongful convictions, the ratio of African and Hispanic prisoners to white ones, the recurrence of the same surnames in a population descended from slavery and a population of migrants from Mexico, sloppy record-keeping and checking in some states, this is an excuse to take the vote away from an awful lot of people who tend not to vote Republican.

A by-product is that many people, mostly toughened males, no longer have a vested interest in the nation's welfare - and may even become enemies of the system that has mistreated and rejected them.

Besides, even in prison, people are affected by legislation. In fact, prisoners, and all those who have had dealings with law enforcement and the judiciary, have a unique perspective which could might better inform future policies.

-- Updated April 23rd, 2015, 7:16 pm to add the following --

PS That's in the US. And there is a movement to change it, apparently.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Alias wrote:I would prefer universal suffrage - following a citizenship test.
I agree with this. I reckon everybody should be able to demonstrate that they understand their systems of government before being allowed to participate in the democratic process. In Australia the voting age is 18 but I'd prefer to see this lowered to 16 and that citizenship education be a part of every school curriculum. Sitting the test would then become a normal part of the education process. Most young people would then come to regard their citizenship as entailing an important civic responsibility and may feel more inclined to remain engaged with the process thereafter.
Alias wrote:if you've been convicted of a felony, you lose the franchise forever.
This is outrageous and quite blatant discrimination. In my country a prisoner loses the right to vote if sentenced to a term beyond a certain length (I think it's about 2 years but I'm not sure exactly). However once released this right is automatically restored.

Regards Leo
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

George Carlin wrote:The real owners are the big wealthy business interests that control things and make all the important decisions. Forget the politicians, they're an irrelevancy. The politicians are put there to give you the idea that you have freedom of choice.

You don't. You have no choice. You have owners.

They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land. They own and control the corporations. They've long since bought and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the statehouses, the city halls. They've got the judges in their back pockets. And they own all the big media companies, so that they control just about all of the news and information you hear. They've got you by the balls.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Alias

Post by Alias »

I'm guessing you don't like them any more than dear old George did. There is a strategy to undermine (rather than overthrow, which is far too costly) them. 1. Don't buy the junk. 2. Co-operate with you neighbours. 3. Don't buy the junk.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

Now here's one of those topics that can get me into a world of hurt if I am not careful.

The notion of the vote not as a right, but as a privilege that must be earned and can be taken away, is both appealing to some minds and troublesome.

One theory (postulated by Heinlein) is that you do not have the vote until you have successful completed an enlistment in the armed forces. (it was in his novel Starship Troopers as part of the semi-fascist world he was building -- whether he would have seen that applied to reality is unknowable).

Another, which I can't recall precisely where I saw it, states that if you receive assistance from the government (such as a pension, support payments, or subsidies for things like housing) your vote is taken away. You might get it back when you're "on your feet", but possibly not. The reasoning is apparently that you can't "vote yourself money" without irreparably undermining democracy. There are still those who claim that the social safety net only exists as an attempt to buy the votes of the poor.

The thing about denying someone the vote is that it removes all incentive for those in power not to utterly ignore them, or worse. Even today political leaders almost exclusively "play to their base", to the point of actively working against the interests of everyone else. Which, of course, the "base" likes just fine because they really hate some of those other people.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

MHopcroft1963 wrote:Now here's one of those topics that can get me into a world of hurt if I am not careful.
Online anonymity protects you from physical harm.

Besides, it's not clear from your answer where you stand politically, although I can make a guess.

An associated question that's interesting to me is, how should we decide who to vote for? Should we vote strictly in our own self-interest? Or should we vote for candidates who seem most committed to fairness for all, even if some of those decisions might tend to hurt me financially?

Personally I try to vote for people who are more statesmanlike, more dedicated to doing a good job for all .. but I can imagine that there could occur a situation where self-interest would push me to vote for a candidate who would represent my interests even if I liked the other guy better otherwise - but that would have to be a really unusual and important single issue to me. Voting is sometimes depressing because none of the candidates seem worth a damn.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Alias wrote:I'm guessing you don't like them any more than dear old George did. There is a strategy to undermine (rather than overthrow, which is far too costly) them. 1. Don't buy the junk. 2. Co-operate with you neighbours. 3. Don't buy the junk.
I think he disliked them more but I am not a fan of the Murdoch media's war mongering and constant misrepresentations.

We do need to re-learn the concept of "enough" though.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

MHopcroft1963 wrote: One theory (postulated by Heinlein) is that you do not have the vote until you have successful completed an enlistment in the armed forces. (it was in his novel Starship Troopers as part of the semi-fascist world he was building -- whether he would have seen that applied to reality is unknowable).

Another, which I can't recall precisely where I saw it, states that if you receive assistance from the government (such as a pension, support payments, or subsidies for things like housing)
Or combine them: You can't vote till you've shot a pensioner. Has that one ever been "postulated"?
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Harbal wrote:Or combine them: You can't vote till you've shot a pensioner. Has that one ever been "postulated"?
Yes mate. It's the central election platform of the Tea Party and should prove a winner with the religious right.
Taokuoh
New Trial Member

Post by Taokuoh »

Everyone should have the right to vote, regardless of sex, race and social class. The only one I see that you listed should be questionable is the criminal convictions one. A lot of people have been criminally convicted for reasons that may not of been their fault. So if you only choose to have the people who have never been convicted vote, you could also be throwing away the other people who were wrongfully accused. I'm a person that would let everyone have a chance more or less but with me being so friendly towards this, it could back fire on me. The more interesting poll would be a poll on who SHOULD be able to vote, at least you'll get back an idea of what the public thinks so you and the public can both agree on something and come down to the conclusion on what the solution is.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream