Should the UK leave the European Union?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Steve3007 »

Mark1955 wrote:The problem of 'the EU or not' is unique in that all parties that matter are divided on the issue.
Well, it has seemed recently as though the parties that are now deemed to matter, and which are therefore rewarded with popularity, are defined as those that are not divided on this issue. Hence the rise in strength of the LibDems and Brexit Party and relative fall in strength of the Tories and Labour. But perhaps that effect is already fading.
Personally if leave means we also loose the whinging Scots then it’s a win/win in my book. Sadly we won’t be able to get rid of the bigoted thickies in NI so easily but it might make us less inclined to tolerate them; if they want to be in the union they accept the rules of the union, no special case laws for NI.
I'm not sure which sections of the population of Northern Ireland you regard as "bigoted thickies". Republicans, Unionists, all of them or just subsets of them?

It sounds as though you would like England and Wales to go it alone? But do you regard the Welsh as whinging? What about Cornwall? How about Yorkshire? I know people in the south of England who seem to think they'd do better to divide the country (once Wales has been dispatched) on North/South lines and for the relatively prosperous South East of England, with the London financial hub, to go it alone and rid themselves of what they see as whinging northerners. How far would you go?
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Steve3007 wrote: July 16th, 2019, 3:55 amIt sounds as though you would like England and Wales to go it alone? But do you regard the Welsh as whinging? What about Cornwall? How about Yorkshire? I know people in the south of England who seem to think they'd do better to divide the country (once Wales has been dispatched) on North/South lines and for the relatively prosperous South East of England, with the London financial hub, to go it alone and rid themselves of what they see as whinging northerners. How far would you go?
I'd divide England into 4, Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex and Londinium maxima. There'd be a defence agreement to form a single armed forces, but economically separate.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

But Northumbria would not naturally stop at Coldstream, would it?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Perhaps the ancient "Danelaw" would make a suitable dividing line.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Belindi wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 11:35 am But Northumbria would not naturally stop at Coldstream, would it?
That would depend on the votes of those living in the border area. Unlike the ilLiberal unDemocratic party of the UK I'd respect the result of a referendum whichever way it went.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I see that you Brits now have a prime minister who is admired by that great judge of human character, Donald Trump, just as he admires other paragons of human virtue like Kim Jong-un and Vladimir Putin.

My condolences, I pray his conduct won't be as divisive as Trump's has been here in the States.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Felix wrote: July 25th, 2019, 12:35 pm I see that you Brits now have a prime minister who is admired by that great judge of human character, Donald Trump, just as he admires other paragons of human virtue like Kim Jong-un and Vladimir Putin.

My condolences, I pray his conduct won't be as divisive as Trump's has been here in the States.
He has a Parliamentary majority of 2 MPs, and that includes the Ulster Unionists, who have deep reservations about the risk to trade if there is a no deal Brexit.
Parliament will soon be in recession, and the bumbling mound we call BoJo will be pressing flesh with the EU that has just elected a very right wing bunch of cronies to key positions of authority - not particularly accountable to anyone, and unlikely to offer the UK anything better in the way of a deal.
With his own party split on Brexit it is not likely that he will do well.

He'll have to call a GE, and the result of that is anyone's guess.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Felix wrote:I see that you Brits now have a prime minister who is admired by that great judge of human character, Donald Trump, just as he admires other paragons of human virtue like Kim Jong-un and Vladimir Putin.
Trump on Boris:
"He’s tough and he’s smart. They’re saying, ‘Britain Trump’. They call him ‘Britain Trump’ and people are saying that’s a good thing. They like me over there. That’s what they wanted. That’s what they need. He’ll get it done. Boris is good. He’s gonna do a good job."

He's right/wrong/doesn't matter which. We call him Britain Trump. Trump is hugely popular here. He's regarded as the greatest US President in history and that's why Boris is hugely popular and that's why we wanted him as Prime Minister and that's why we all voted for him in a big election in which he won 98% of the vote. Or not. Don't know. Doesn't matter. What's next?

Say what you like about politics these days but I guess it is at least entertaining. We have an entertaining three months to look forward to here in Britain. That's what Boris and Donald have grasped: it doesn't matter what you say or do, and whether it's true or false, and what effect it has, so long as it's entertaining. Tomorrow we'll be onto the next thing.

I suspect that was Boris's message when he recently waved a kipper in the air and told some lies about it. The lies were similar to those he told when he was the Telegraph's Brussels correspondent in the 1990's. I think the message was "I will continue to lie, as I have for most of my career, and you don't care because it doesn't matter". Very similar to the Trump technique. Maybe they're right? Maybe it doesn't matter?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Felix wrote:... just as he admires other paragons of human virtue like Kim Jong-un and Vladimir Putin.
Obviously, at least in the case of Kim Jong-un, he would claim that he says these things with a purpose in mind, and the question of whether he actually, really admires Kim Jong-un is irrelevant. All the matters is whether it gets results. As we know, it got the best results possible instantly, the moment Trump spoke to Kim for the first time. North Korea is now no longer any kind of threat. Mission accomplished. As Trump said after that meeting:

"Just landed—a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future! Before taking office people were assuming that we were going to War with North Korea. President Obama said that North Korea was our biggest and most dangerous problem. No longer—sleep well tonight!"

(Disclaimer: the above is written in a post-truth context).

Similarly, British government politicians have stressed that it doesn't matter what they actually think of Trump. In the context of politics, saying what you think of a powerful leader of another country is done with a purpose, and that purpose is most certainly not to convey to the world what you think of them.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Over 70 % of British people think climate change is more important than Brexit.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Belindi wrote:Over 70 % of British people think climate change is more important than Brexit.
I guess since most British people consistently say that they don't want Brexit...

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/i ... ve-the-eu/

...that's not surprising.

The interesting thing to me is that a large section of members of the Conservative Party do seem to want Brexit so very much that they regard achieving it as more important than almost anything else. The groundwork for this fanaticism among a section of the population was partly laid by Boris Johnson himself, many years ago, with all the gleeful lies that gradually helped to solidify the mythology of "Brussels Bureaucrats" dictating policy about such things as bananas and British sausages and the like. He's spoken openly before about the pleasure he took in telling those lies because of the commotion they caused back across the Channel. Some of that pleasure seems to have returned with the kipper incident.

In all the rhetoric harking back to Nazi Germany, and talking of slavery, and the "Remainers under the beds" style paranoia, from the likes of Mark Francois, Anne Widdecombe and Jacob Rees-Mogg respectively, I think we're seeing the culmination of that project. So, even though it won't do any good, it's at least slightly heartening that despite all the nonsense talked about enacting the Will Of The People to throw off the shackles of their EU slaveholders and restore Britain in its rightful place as the most important nation in the world, most people aren't fooled by it. A lot are. But most aren't.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

even though it won't do any good, it's at least slightly heartening that despite all the nonsense talked about enacting the Will Of The People to throw off the shackles of their EU slaveholders and restore Britain in its rightful place as the most important nation in the world, most people aren't fooled by it. A lot are. But most aren't.
God! I hope so!
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

H G Wells wrote:The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one he said. But still they come.
Barely more than a week ago, according to our leader, the chance of a no-deal Brexit was a million to one against. Now, apparently, all that is history and it's a racing certainty and £100 million is going to be spent on an information campaign warning the public about how best to weather the economic disaster that Johnson is absolutely adamant must start to unfold on 31st October, because it was the Will Of The People (or at least 35% of them) in June 2016.

In my lifetime, it's hard to think of anything more insane in British politics then what has unfolded over the last 3 years.
detail

Post by detail »

Isn't it better to face the facts than to lament about already spilled milk , which somehow cannot be putten into reverse action by us. Even if its hard to accept , the facts are different , so we shouldn't complain all the time, this is somehow wasting your lifetime with bad mood. Just live your life, this is more important. We cannot change it anymore it at least seems for me to be in the final state.
Felix

Post by Felix »

"Isn't it better to face the facts than to lament about already spilled milk?"

The collection and rebottling of spilled milk has always been a primary concern of politicians.

"In my lifetime, it's hard to think of anything more insane in British politics then what has unfolded over the last 3 years."

British, American, French, et. al., we've all boarded the Titanic, the bright side is that there is less change of hitting an iceberg now because they're all quickly melting into the sea.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream