Should the UK leave the European Union?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Togo1

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Togo1 »

Belinda wrote:I believe that all parties including ISIS should have talks to come to an agreement about humanitarian relief corridors. ASAP
Sensible suggestion. However, there are some obstacles.
-Some of that humanitarian relief would come from ISIS, and all sides are unlikely to trust each other not to include weapons.
-Allowing civillians to live compartively normal lives in each other's areas is directly contrary to the war aims of all sides.

I think what's needed is a perception of parity in the ability of each side to provide humanitarian relief without an agreement. In other words, unless we can demontrate an ability to help people that matches that of ISIS, then they don't have an incentive to agree not to shoot the convoys. This may involve an agressive push to deliver relief without agreement, which is hard without troops on the ground. But not impossible. It may end up being a military problem after all.

Certainly it would require close cooperation with Turkey, which may have political implications.

-- Updated August 24th, 2016, 9:50 am to add the following --

Latest news - Turkey have intervened to stop their chosen target group, the Kurds, from establishing themselves.
Lucylu

Post by Lucylu »

Togo1 wrote:Latest news - Turkey have intervened to stop their chosen target group, the Kurds, from establishing themselves.
I heard an expert (Professor Gerges) from LSE talking on the news about the situation in Syria and he said that the crisis continues expressly because so many different external parties are involved.

'Too many cooks' basically. If the international community had been more organized and acted as one then it would be over by now. So, the Syrian people are paying the price for our collective incompetence.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". -Bertrand Russell
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Nigel Farage says he's going to try again to be elected Member of Parliament for Thanet South, here in the east of England, and he says this time he's going to get his friend Donald to help him out! Perhaps we'll get a visit! It's like one of those weird crossover episodes of two separate comedy shows. The Simpsons and Family Guy, or something. I'm starting to warm to this new crazy western world we're building for ourselves. It's a lot of fun.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

This is my consituency.

Can you let me know the source of this? Because I've heard the full version, and this has been heavily edited to make the Lib Dem sound worse.

-- Updated December 5th, 2016, 8:32 pm to add the following --

Ok, just gone over it again. They've removed some of the conflicting arguements that the Talk Radio host introduced, that turned out not to be true. They're removed some of Sarah's original arguments, and added a lot of Errs and silences that weren't in the original. You can tell where all her 'err' and 'you know' sound identical to each other (because they've been copied) rather than matching the rest of the speech.

This is dishonest political propeganda, please try and find a more reliable source.

Which is weird, because, Sarah didn't sound particularly good in the original. She's only just become an MP for the first time, she's been in politics less than two years, and catching her out isn't all that hard. But I guess the had to edit it because they said things that weren't true in the original, and Sarah, although she didn't sound particular good, was actually right in what she said.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Togo1 wrote:This is my consituency.

Can you let me know the source of this? Because I've heard the full version, and this has been heavily edited to make the Lib Dem sound worse.

-- Updated December 5th, 2016, 8:32 pm to add the following --

Ok, just gone over it again. They've removed some of the conflicting arguements that the Talk Radio host introduced, that turned out not to be true. They're removed some of Sarah's original arguments, and added a lot of Errs and silences that weren't in the original. You can tell where all her 'err' and 'you know' sound identical to each other (because they've been copied) rather than matching the rest of the speech.

This is dishonest political propeganda, please try and find a more reliable source.

Which is weird, because, Sarah didn't sound particularly good in the original. She's only just become an MP for the first time, she's been in politics less than two years, and catching her out isn't all that hard. But I guess the had to edit it because they said things that weren't true in the original, and Sarah, although she didn't sound particular good, was actually right in what she said.
Ok, well that is your analysis of the full version. I will try to find it myself and see if I agree. If you have a link at your disposal feel free to post it to here.

-- Updated December 6th, 2016, 4:24 pm to add the following --

I think the propaganda is yours. The full version I found was only 30 seconds longer and those 30 seconds was the interviewer speaking after Sarah Olney cut it short.

So if you have a 'fuller' version other than this next one, then surely post it here. If you do not, then maybe you were merely lying. Can we see what you have?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Maybe a liar?

Maybe you rape children?

Maybe I like to feast on monkey penis?

Maybe ... ?
AKA badgerjelly
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Burning ghost wrote:Maybe a liar?

Maybe you rape children?

Maybe I like to feast on monkey penis?

Maybe ... ?
I'm waiting for the ''full version".

The "maybe" could be dropped in my next post on this topic. Let us see.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Good interview from Sarah Olney there. I like the way she abruptly ended it. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen.

As she pithily pointed out, we voted to leave but didn't vote for a destination, with the resultant mess that's starting to unfold now, during which all the government can say is meaningless tautologies like "Brexit means Brexit" as they scramble to retrospectively create something that people could have voted about. As she also pointed out, the Leave campaign couldn't (and still can't) clarify even basic things like whether we're going to leave the Single market. They couldn't give the voters anything (that was actually true) to vote on. The result was that most people's votes were based on a whole host of things, from protests about City fat-cat commodities traders (those nasty London types) to laments at the loss of heavy industry, most of which were unrelated to the EU. As the interviewer pointed out, in the absence of other information, it was left for the Remain campaign to speculate that we would leave the single market in an attempt to do what the Leave campaign couldn't do: give people something concrete, and genuine (as opposed to the 350 million pound lie) to actually vote about.

We're now left with the amusing situation whereby we might end up paying for access to that market. I think we'd all have to admit that would be funny. I wonder if all those buses with the "Leave the EU and save 350 million pounds a week" slogans on the side have been painted over yet. As a comedian pointed out the other day, it's a sad world when you can't even trust what you read written on the side of a bus.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Dolphin42 wrote:Good interview from Sarah Olney there. I like the way she abruptly ended it. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen. .
If that means running away when it gets uncomfortable and inconvenient, then for those that see a complete lack of integrity as a virtue you would be correct. It is right to be wrong when you can't tell the difference as it is for ignorance to be bliss.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

I've heard that she also refers to Daesh as ISIL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Dolphin42 wrote:I've heard that she also refers to Daesh as ISIL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
She wouldn't know an isil from her arsil.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

But I bet she doesn't refer to her opponents as c**ts because she doesn't know what the word "Levant" means.

Anyhoo, perhaps she should have just asked for the interviewer's microphone to be turned off. That would have been funnier.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Ahem! You lied there, Togo1.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

How about this for a question ...

If the government tables a deal to stay in the single market and makes a trade off for partial immigration control yet still leave the EU would those who voted for the Brexit want to vote on the actual deal proposed by the government?

Can they force an actual democracy into effect like they have in Switzerland?

If the government tables a deal that says we have complete control over our borders regardless I expect the Brexit voters would be okay with this.

It would be a much better idea that we hold to the vote and then give the public more influence in political decisions. If the shape of the deal is decided bybthe public this gives a much higher incentive for the government to do its job and tell us truthfully what options we have.

I should state I was for staying in the EU and having a future referendum. I think the idea of a community of nations is a good one as long as they are independent communities acting together. This can only work if each country is equal though and they are not.

My fear has been about the UK being left unable to compete for an extended period of time. Now it looks like Italy may pull out too it may help loosen the grip of EU and allow friendlier and more reasonable negotiations. The biggest mistake of the EU was the Euro imo. It makes sense for nations on relatively equal footing to group together. This though also keeps the lesser nations at a disadvantage unless the geeater nations subsidise them. The EU should be a group of weaker nations competing together against stronger nations surely? For the face of Europe I don't thunk the major powers (Germany, UK and France) should be anything other than advisory partners with no voting rights in the EU. Once we have a stable and prosperous Europe with more equally distributed wealth then all nations can work together equal footing? Doesn't that sound like common sense, although admittedly deeply impractical!
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream