Brett Kavanaugh

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 »

Georgeanna wrote:If you wish, you could re- post the above in a new thread I started to discuss midterm results. I find it all fascinating...
Thanks. I was going to start a topic entitled "How about those midterm results, eh?" but you beat me to it.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Steve3007 wrote: November 7th, 2018, 7:54 am
Georgeanna wrote:If you wish, you could re- post the above in a new thread I started to discuss midterm results. I find it all fascinating...
Thanks. I was going to start a topic entitled "How about those midterm results, eh?" but you beat me to it.
Perhaps that would have been better. If you had only thought of that before posting in this increasingly tedious Kavanaugh thread...
In any case, I have included your original comment in the new thread. Hope that's OK ?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

viewtopic.php?p=323429#p323429
GE Morton wrote:That problem, and it is a serious one, is endemic to populist politics. On old homily of uncertain origin says that "Democracy is always but a temporary form of government. It endures only until the people discover they can vote themselves benefits from the public treasury."
Yes, you've made this point before in other topics. So if democracy of some form is to endure then presumably it will only do so for as long as there are at least some people who seek elected office who not only have the desire to put long term goals over short term popularity but who also have the ability to sell this idea to the electorate. A difficult combination to master, but presumably more difficult in times of hardship than in times of plenty.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

A difficult combination to master, but presumably more difficult in times of hardship than in times of plenty.
Actually the reverse might be true. During hardship you can ill afford to make poor choices.
Unknown means unknown.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dachshund wrote: November 7th, 2018, 4:04 am Are you suggesting that Brett Kavanaugh was not the victim of a disgraceful Democrat smear campaign. I think the law should be changed st that women who are caught making false allegations of rape should be automatically jailed for life. What do you think?
I think that a judge that is proved to have lied during an inquiry is unfit to serve. I think Kavanagh should be replaced ASAP.

I think there should be a proper inquiry, one that is not a Republican-controlled snow job.

I think that women who have been attacked or molested should be allowed to speak up about it without risking life imprisonment for the crime of interfering with your desire for the world to be a white fascist state.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

A statement to @Dachshund

The poster who calls himself @Dachshund has stated that the 12 year old daughter of my partner is a stinking negro sub-human ape who would, if he had his way, not be allowed to live in the country in which she was born because he believes that that country should be occupied exclusively by white people, of whom only the males should be allowed to vote. He further believes that certain religious groups in that country should be clearly marked by being forced to wear an identifying symbol, such as an armband. He claims some of these things as scientific facts and not merely opinion. These are not things that he has merely implied or hinted or quoted someone else as saying. They are things that he has explicitly said, of which he has taken ownership and he appears to be proud of this, citing them as examples of his bravery and the weakness of people who challenge them. He appears to think that it is hysterical left wing nonsense to conclude from this that he bears any resemblance to a Nazi. He claims that these views simply make him a mainstream conservative. He claims that saying these things (anonymously) constitutes being honest and brave and that denying them constitutes being a female herd animal.

I have offered to bring my partner and her 12 year old daughter to personally meet @Dachshund (who says that his real forename is John and that he lives in Hertfordshire when in the UK) so he can explain these "scientific facts" about them directly to their faces. If he reveals to me his personal contact details then I will reveal mine to him and we can setup this face-to-face meeting. He has so far declined to do that, but the offer still stands.

If he is too cowardly to face the people whom he abuses, then an alternative course of action for @Dachshund is to publicly apologize for his abuse of them. In particular, I would require an unconditional apology for the child abuse and acknowledgment that this kind of anonymous abuse does not constitute being brave and individualistic. It is simply abuse.

I have not allowed this 12 year old child to see these remarks about her by @Dachshund. If I did, they would undoubtedly cause her harm, in the way that other forms of online child abuse also cause harm. Most decent parents, to some extent, try to shield children from the worst of the monsters of this world and only gradually introduce them to the world's horrors as they grow and gain the emotional strength and intellectual tools to deal with them and face them. I think most decent parents probably debate with themselves the extent to which they should reveal to their young children the fact that not all adults in the world wish them well, and that some would like to hurt them in ways that they cannot, at their age and in the caring environment that they are fortunate enough to find themselves, dream could be possible.

To paraphrase W.B. Yeats: The world is, indeed, more full of weeping than they can understand. But they'll have to understand it soon enough.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

It's quite disturbing to look at what has been done to try to discredit Christine Blasey Ford since the hearing. For example, among the false claims that she commited perjury during that hearing were this:

https://archive.fo/Gg6n1

as described by this fact-checking site:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chris ... chologist/

It's also been claimed that she lied about coaching her friend about how to pass a polygraph test. As with the other rumours, this kind of thing is presented by those seeking to discredit her as indisputable truth. In this case, it was apparently anonymous testimony from a former boyfriend which was denied by the friend whom she was alleged to have coached:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 70d04d963e

So not exactly established fact. Given that she has to go through this, as well as now being unable to return to her home or her job, I guess it's not surprising if most people who are subjected to sexual assaults decide that talking openly about them comes at too high a cost.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Of course, none of this demonstrates beyond reasonably doubt that Brett Kavanaugh did sexually assault anyone. It just shows that the emotional cost to all parties in a case like this, regardless of the outcome, is very high.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Christine Blasey Ford is a an extremely duplicitous, pathological liar who is clearly guilty of perjury. There is absolutely no shadow of a doubt about this.

To begin with, just google the terms: "Http spectator 2018 ten flaws with Christine Basey Fords testimony" and read this Spectator article for yourself.

With regard to Steve3007's misleading post above, note that it is essentially a weak attempt to argue that Blasey Ford should be absolved from any kind of blame for wrongdoing, but he provides nothing solid to back up his case. For instance, the fact checking site, he refers to ("SNOOP") only dealt with the nit-picking, technical question of whether or not Blasey Ford had referred to herself as a RESEARCH psychologist as opposed to "a psychologist" under oath. In short, an utterly trivial and unimportant matter.

Steve3007 also has his facts dead wrong with respect to the testimony of Blasey Ford's former partner. This testimony was NOT anonymous, rather, it was signed under oath, and in it Blasey Ford's ex-partner of 8 years states that HE PERSONALLY witnessed Blasey Ford coaching a woman ,in considerable detail) about the science of Polygraph lie detectors. The letter also includes various other items of damning evidence, all of which STRONGLY suggest Blasey Ford is indeed guilty of perjury in the Kavanaugh case.

In conclusion, there are many, many VERY GOOD REASONS why Blasey Ford should be immediately recalled and re-investigated by the FBI with respect to the content of the testimony she gave under oath before the Senate Committee in the Kavanaugh affair. But as I said in another recent post on this issue, I fully expect that the Democrat "Swamp" in Washington will allow this devious scum-bag of a woman to walk away scott free, regardless of the gravity of her crimes.

Regards

Dachshund
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

There is absolutely no shadow of a doubt about this.
Do you have a concept of doubt? I mean can you give me an example of something you do doubt?
Unknown means unknown.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

I just did. I said very clearly that I very much doubt Christine Blasey Ford will brought to justice for perjuring herself in the Brett Kavanaugh affair.

Regards

Dachshund
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I just did. I said very clearly that I very much doubt Christine Blasey Ford will brought to justice for perjuring herself in the Brett Kavanaugh affair.
OK good example.
Unknown means unknown.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Dachshund:
To begin with, just google the terms: "Http spectator 2018 ten flaws with Christine Basey Fords testimony"
Is the ability to use the link function beyond the capacity of your intelligence? Has it proven to be as much a mystery to you as using the quote function? (Normally I would not belittle someone for their limited intelligence but since you have seen fit to question the intelligence of a whole race of people, it seems appropriate).
… the fact checking site, he refers to ("SNOOP") …
You are the only one who refers to SNOOP, he linked to Snopes. Unlike you he has figured out how to use the link function.

There were problems with Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony, as there would be with your own testimony if someone attempted to rape you when you were a teenager and you attempted to recall the incident years later. It is likely that there would be gaps in your memory even if you had not suffered a traumatic event if you had to recall the specifics of what happened on a night twenty-five years ago.

If this had been a trial Kavanaugh would probably not have been convicted based on the evidence presented, even though the jury would have found her testimony credible, just as the Republican senators did. If it had been a trial, however, there would have been a more thorough investigation and witnesses would have been subpoenaed. Mike Judge probably would not have come off as a credible witness. Deborah Ramirez’s allegations would have been investigated and those who may have been present questioned. Testimony by friends and acquaintances of Kavanaugh would have testified as to his drinking habits, his actions while drunk, and blackouts.

The ramifications of trauma do not always manifest themselves in logical or predictable ways. The event may be kept secret for years and the effects suppressed.

Blasey Ford does not need to be “absolved from any kind of blame for wrongdoing” because there is no evidence that she did anything wrong.

The letter from a former boyfriend proves nothing. It is an uncorroborated allegation, but if one wants discredit her it becomes unquestionable proof. He is not an unbiased witness. He has accused her of cheating on him and unauthorized charges on his credit card. But he also said that he found her truthful. So, if you believe him then she is truthful not the liar you claim her to be.

In conclusion, there are many, many VERY GOOD REASONS why Blasey Ford should be immediately recalled and re-investigated by the FBI with respect to the content of the testimony she gave under oath before the Senate Committee in the Kavanaugh affair.
There is one good reason why she won’t: Kavanaugh would lose control of the narrative and the results could be damning for him. Blasey Ford asked for an investigation. Democrats repeatedly asked for a thorough investigation, but in the end the investigation was slapdash, too little too late.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Dachshund wrote:just google the terms: "Http spectator 2018 ten flaws with Christine Basey Fords testimony"
Oh dear.
Fooloso4 wrote:Is the ability to use the link function beyond the capacity of your intelligence?
I love the fact that he left the "Http" on.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Lol I didn't notice because I don't read any of his posts. Nice spot Steve.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream