Brett Kavanaugh

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:My understanding is that the issue is less what happened all that time ago but the lies he told in a hearing just now and that is not appropriate for a person applying to have one of the most important jobs in the land for life.
Leaving aside for a minute the argument over the facts as to whether he actually did lie, I think you're right to point out that this isn't simply a sexual assault trial in which a jury or judge tries to decide whether to convict a person who is accused of a crime. Kavanaugh was not on trial, as such. The end result was not going to be an acquittal or a conviction for a crime. As I also understand it, the point was to try to establish something about his credentials for performing the role of one of the country's most important arbiters of justice, potentially for the rest of his life. Therefore, presumably even if it had somehow been established that he hadn't committed the offence of which he was accused by Ford, if, in so doing, it was established that he lied in front of Congress I presume that would fatally damage his credibility in that role. So I guess this was a test of his integrity, not specifically of his guilt or innocence of a particular crime.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

If what I've said above is true, I wonder if the converse is also true? If someone commited an offense in their youth and admitted it, and genuinely repented for it, and did not lie about anything, ought we to allow them to become an arbiter of justice? Or should judges be "whiter than white"?
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Steve3007 wrote: October 11th, 2018, 3:32 am If what I've said above is true, I wonder if the converse is also true? If someone commited an offense in their youth and admitted it, and genuinely repented for it, and did not lie about anything, ought we to allow them to become an arbiter of justice? Or should judges be "whiter than white"?
Is the USA capable of finding an honest and decent man?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I dunno. Is anyone? Can any of us find a judge with the (metaphorical) wisdom of Solomon?

Maybe it's just another way in which we're all doomed.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Steve3007 wrote: October 11th, 2018, 5:47 am
I dunno. Is anyone? Can any of us find a judge with the (metaphorical) wisdom of Solomon?

Maybe it's just another way in which we're all doomed.
In a system that rewards ruthless greed and corruption, you might want to look further down the social scale where you can find honesty and decency in buckets.
The failure is not in the people, but in the systems.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

How about Judge Judith Sheindlin (a.k.a "Judge Judy")? But they'd have to tell her to stop all that very ill-mannered shouting that she does on her TV show.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Oh by the way, whether Kavanaugh did or didn't do as alleged (or something in-between). He does seem to have told some pretty preposterous lies.
Also he seems to be extremely Republican. I don't think someone in his position should have open staunch party allegiance. For example I dislike all political parties in the UK, I may at one time or another dislike one less than the others. That would be an appropriate sentiment for someone in his position I think.
Unknown means unknown.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

The Senate Should Not Confirm Kavanaugh
Signed, 2,400+ Law Professors
OCT. 3, 2018

The following letter was presented to the United States Senate on Oct. 4.

Judicial temperament is one of the most important qualities of a judge. As the Congressional Research Service explains, a judge requires “a personality that is even-handed, unbiased, impartial, courteous yet firm, and dedicated to a process, not a result.” The concern for judicial temperament dates back to our founding; in Federalist 78, titled “Judges as Guardians of the Constitution,” Alexander Hamilton expressed the need for “the integrity and moderation of the judiciary.”

We are law professors who teach, research and write about the judicial institutions of this country. Many of us appear in state and federal court, and our work means that we will continue to do so, including before the United States Supreme Court. We regret that we feel compelled to write to you, our Senators, to provide our views that at the Senate hearings on Sept. 27, Judge Brett Kavanaugh displayed a lack of judicial temperament that would be disqualifying for any court, and certainly for elevation to the highest court of this land.

The question at issue was of course painful for anyone. But Judge Kavanaugh exhibited a lack of commitment to judicious inquiry. Instead of being open to the necessary search for accuracy, Judge Kavanaugh was repeatedly aggressive with questioners. Even in his prepared remarks, Judge Kavanaugh described the hearing as partisan, referring to it as “a calculated and orchestrated political hit,” rather than acknowledging the need for the Senate, faced with new information, to try to understand what had transpired. Instead of trying to sort out with reason and care the allegations that were raised, Judge Kavanaugh responded in an intemperate, inflammatory and partial manner, as he interrupted and, at times, was discourteous to senators.

As you know, under two statutes governing bias and recusal, judges must step aside if they are at risk of being perceived as or of being unfair. As Congress has previously put it, a judge or justice “shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.” These statutes are part of a myriad of legal commitments to the impartiality of the judiciary, which is the cornerstone of the courts.

We have differing views about the other qualifications of Judge Kavanaugh. But we are united, as professors of law and scholars of judicial institutions, in believing that he did not display the impartiality and judicial temperament requisite to sit on the highest court of our land.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Does anyone think he's non-partisan?

I mean if I was being swallowed by globalisation. Seeing my job disappear. Seeing my community change (perhaps beyond recognition). Watching myself become side lined. Seeing my family torn apart. Recognising the existential threat to the core of my very being. Then I too would fight to survive. I just don't get how welcoming an authoritarian regime in to power is helping this goal? If you take sides to the point that that side can do anything then, predictably, they will do anything.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Fooloso4 wrote:The following letter was presented to the United States Senate on Oct. 4...
It seems to me that one issue with what they say here about the importance of judicial impartiality is that in this case Kavanaugh was not the judge. He was the accused. So clearly it's impossible for him to be impartial. So the question is: What degree of calmness, civility, etc should someone who is hoping to be appointed one of the highest judicial authorities in the land display when he himself is the accused?

I think that's a difficult question to answer.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve3007:
It seems to me that one issue with what they say here about the importance of judicial impartiality is that in this case Kavanaugh was not the judge. He was the accused. So clearly it's impossible for him to be impartial.
His defense was to become an accuser.

The issue is not impartiality with regard to his own defense but with regard to his accusations of, as the letter quotes him saying:
a calculated and orchestrated political hit
He also said it was being fueled by pent-up anger over President Donald Trump’s 2016 election victory and outside groups stoking fear about his judicial record and revenge on behalf of the Clintons.

None of these things speak to the issue of Ford’s allegations. Even a judge being accused should be able to make a distinction between an attempt to get at the truth of an allegation and deflection by launching accusations against parties not involved in the incident.

The letter went on to say:
As you know, under two statutes governing bias and recusal, judges must step aside if they are at risk of being perceived as or of being unfair. As Congress has previously put it, a judge or justice “shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.” These statutes are part of a myriad of legal commitments to the impartiality of the judiciary, which is the cornerstone of the courts.
This was a point that Justice Stevens spoke to as well. Again, this is not a question of his impartiality regarding his guilt or innocence but with regard to cases that may come before him.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Steve3007 wrote: October 11th, 2018, 10:42 am
It seems to me that one issue with what they say here about the importance of judicial impartiality is that in this case Kavanaugh was not the judge. He was the accused. So clearly it's impossible for him to be impartial. So the question is: What degree of calmness, civility, etc should someone who is hoping to be appointed one of the highest judicial authorities in the land display when he himself is the accused?

I think that's a difficult question to answer.
Yes, indeed --- a point I made earlier. Impartiality, civility, composure, open-mindedness are all qualities essential for a judge when he's doing his job. Demanding them of a person accused of lurid crimes is absurd, especially when the accusation has obvious political motives and is unsupported by any corroborating evidence. Indignation and outrage are perfectly appropriate reactions to such an accusation.

No one (as far as I know) has accused Kavanaugh of any lack of temperament or impartiality while sitting as a judge. Hence the law profs' letter is misguided and irrelevant.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The funny thing is that there are two underlying truths that escape the media blowhards on this topic:
#1- No one expects Trump to NOT nominate a very conservative judge. Thus the reason for Kavanaugh's backlash was NOT because he is conservative, since if he were to not be approved he would just be replaced by another (perhaps even more) conservative.
#2- Before the current Post Factual era, since republicans knew #1, they would drop such a candidate to try to actually choose a high quality conservative justice, of which there is no shortage.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

a point I made earlier. Impartiality, civility, composure, open-mindedness are all qualities essential for a judge when he's doing his job. Demanding them of a person accused of lurid crimes is absurd
If you possess those qualities then you can't exactly turn them on or off at will. It's about who you are.
Unknown means unknown.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Eduk wrote: October 11th, 2018, 12:35 pm
a point I made earlier. Impartiality, civility, composure, open-mindedness are all qualities essential for a judge when he's doing his job. Demanding them of a person accused of lurid crimes is absurd
If you possess those qualities then you can't exactly turn them on or off at will. It's about who you are.
No need to turn them on/off at will. They will be automatic when considering an issue in which the agent has no personal interest. But when falsely accused of something heinous, they will be replaced by a more appropriate demeanor.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream