Brett Kavanaugh

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Post Reply
User avatar
Steve3007
Posts: 7952
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene
Location: UK

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 » November 7th, 2018, 7:54 am

Georgeanna wrote:If you wish, you could re- post the above in a new thread I started to discuss midterm results. I find it all fascinating...
Thanks. I was going to start a topic entitled "How about those midterm results, eh?" but you beat me to it.

Georgeanna
Posts: 435
Joined: October 29th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Georgeanna » November 7th, 2018, 8:19 am

Steve3007 wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 7:54 am
Georgeanna wrote:If you wish, you could re- post the above in a new thread I started to discuss midterm results. I find it all fascinating...
Thanks. I was going to start a topic entitled "How about those midterm results, eh?" but you beat me to it.
Perhaps that would have been better. If you had only thought of that before posting in this increasingly tedious Kavanaugh thread...
In any case, I have included your original comment in the new thread. Hope that's OK ?

User avatar
Steve3007
Posts: 7952
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene
Location: UK

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 » November 7th, 2018, 12:41 pm

viewtopic.php?p=323429#p323429
GE Morton wrote:That problem, and it is a serious one, is endemic to populist politics. On old homily of uncertain origin says that "Democracy is always but a temporary form of government. It endures only until the people discover they can vote themselves benefits from the public treasury."
Yes, you've made this point before in other topics. So if democracy of some form is to endure then presumably it will only do so for as long as there are at least some people who seek elected office who not only have the desire to put long term goals over short term popularity but who also have the ability to sell this idea to the electorate. A difficult combination to master, but presumably more difficult in times of hardship than in times of plenty.

Eduk
Posts: 2466
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Eduk » November 7th, 2018, 1:20 pm

A difficult combination to master, but presumably more difficult in times of hardship than in times of plenty.
Actually the reverse might be true. During hardship you can ill afford to make poor choices.
Unknown means unknown.

User avatar
Greta
Site Admin
Posts: 9399
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Greta » November 7th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Dachshund wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 4:04 am
Are you suggesting that Brett Kavanaugh was not the victim of a disgraceful Democrat smear campaign. I think the law should be changed st that women who are caught making false allegations of rape should be automatically jailed for life. What do you think?
I think that a judge that is proved to have lied during an inquiry is unfit to serve. I think Kavanagh should be replaced ASAP.

I think there should be a proper inquiry, one that is not a Republican-controlled snow job.

I think that women who have been attacked or molested should be allowed to speak up about it without risking life imprisonment for the crime of interfering with your desire for the world to be a white fascist state.

User avatar
Steve3007
Posts: 7952
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene
Location: UK

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 » November 8th, 2018, 3:18 am

A statement to @Dachshund

The poster who calls himself @Dachshund has stated that the 12 year old daughter of my partner is a stinking negro sub-human ape who would, if he had his way, not be allowed to live in the country in which she was born because he believes that that country should be occupied exclusively by white people, of whom only the males should be allowed to vote. He further believes that certain religious groups in that country should be clearly marked by being forced to wear an identifying symbol, such as an armband. He claims some of these things as scientific facts and not merely opinion. These are not things that he has merely implied or hinted or quoted someone else as saying. They are things that he has explicitly said, of which he has taken ownership and he appears to be proud of this, citing them as examples of his bravery and the weakness of people who challenge them. He appears to think that it is hysterical left wing nonsense to conclude from this that he bears any resemblance to a Nazi. He claims that these views simply make him a mainstream conservative. He claims that saying these things (anonymously) constitutes being honest and brave and that denying them constitutes being a female herd animal.

I have offered to bring my partner and her 12 year old daughter to personally meet @Dachshund (who says that his real forename is John and that he lives in Hertfordshire when in the UK) so he can explain these "scientific facts" about them directly to their faces. If he reveals to me his personal contact details then I will reveal mine to him and we can setup this face-to-face meeting. He has so far declined to do that, but the offer still stands.

If he is too cowardly to face the people whom he abuses, then an alternative course of action for @Dachshund is to publicly apologize for his abuse of them. In particular, I would require an unconditional apology for the child abuse and acknowledgment that this kind of anonymous abuse does not constitute being brave and individualistic. It is simply abuse.

I have not allowed this 12 year old child to see these remarks about her by @Dachshund. If I did, they would undoubtedly cause her harm, in the way that other forms of online child abuse also cause harm. Most decent parents, to some extent, try to shield children from the worst of the monsters of this world and only gradually introduce them to the world's horrors as they grow and gain the emotional strength and intellectual tools to deal with them and face them. I think most decent parents probably debate with themselves the extent to which they should reveal to their young children the fact that not all adults in the world wish them well, and that some would like to hurt them in ways that they cannot, at their age and in the caring environment that they are fortunate enough to find themselves, dream could be possible.

To paraphrase W.B. Yeats: The world is, indeed, more full of weeping than they can understand. But they'll have to understand it soon enough.

User avatar
Steve3007
Posts: 7952
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene
Location: UK

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 » November 23rd, 2018, 11:00 am

It's quite disturbing to look at what has been done to try to discredit Christine Blasey Ford since the hearing. For example, among the false claims that she commited perjury during that hearing were this:

https://archive.fo/Gg6n1

as described by this fact-checking site:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chris ... chologist/

It's also been claimed that she lied about coaching her friend about how to pass a polygraph test. As with the other rumours, this kind of thing is presented by those seeking to discredit her as indisputable truth. In this case, it was apparently anonymous testimony from a former boyfriend which was denied by the friend whom she was alleged to have coached:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 70d04d963e

So not exactly established fact. Given that she has to go through this, as well as now being unable to return to her home or her job, I guess it's not surprising if most people who are subjected to sexual assaults decide that talking openly about them comes at too high a cost.

User avatar
Steve3007
Posts: 7952
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene
Location: UK

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 » November 23rd, 2018, 11:03 am

Of course, none of this demonstrates beyond reasonably doubt that Brett Kavanaugh did sexually assault anyone. It just shows that the emotional cost to all parties in a case like this, regardless of the outcome, is very high.

Dachshund
Posts: 513
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Dachshund » November 23rd, 2018, 12:24 pm

Christine Blasey Ford is a an extremely duplicitous, pathological liar who is clearly guilty of perjury. There is absolutely no shadow of a doubt about this.

To begin with, just google the terms: "Http spectator 2018 ten flaws with Christine Basey Fords testimony" and read this Spectator article for yourself.

With regard to Steve3007's misleading post above, note that it is essentially a weak attempt to argue that Blasey Ford should be absolved from any kind of blame for wrongdoing, but he provides nothing solid to back up his case. For instance, the fact checking site, he refers to ("SNOOP") only dealt with the nit-picking, technical question of whether or not Blasey Ford had referred to herself as a RESEARCH psychologist as opposed to "a psychologist" under oath. In short, an utterly trivial and unimportant matter.

Steve3007 also has his facts dead wrong with respect to the testimony of Blasey Ford's former partner. This testimony was NOT anonymous, rather, it was signed under oath, and in it Blasey Ford's ex-partner of 8 years states that HE PERSONALLY witnessed Blasey Ford coaching a woman ,in considerable detail) about the science of Polygraph lie detectors. The letter also includes various other items of damning evidence, all of which STRONGLY suggest Blasey Ford is indeed guilty of perjury in the Kavanaugh case.

In conclusion, there are many, many VERY GOOD REASONS why Blasey Ford should be immediately recalled and re-investigated by the FBI with respect to the content of the testimony she gave under oath before the Senate Committee in the Kavanaugh affair. But as I said in another recent post on this issue, I fully expect that the Democrat "Swamp" in Washington will allow this devious scum-bag of a woman to walk away scott free, regardless of the gravity of her crimes.

Regards

Dachshund

Eduk
Posts: 2466
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Eduk » November 23rd, 2018, 12:55 pm

There is absolutely no shadow of a doubt about this.
Do you have a concept of doubt? I mean can you give me an example of something you do doubt?
Unknown means unknown.

Dachshund
Posts: 513
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Dachshund » November 23rd, 2018, 12:58 pm

I just did. I said very clearly that I very much doubt Christine Blasey Ford will brought to justice for perjuring herself in the Brett Kavanaugh affair.

Regards

Dachshund

Eduk
Posts: 2466
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Eduk » November 23rd, 2018, 1:31 pm

I just did. I said very clearly that I very much doubt Christine Blasey Ford will brought to justice for perjuring herself in the Brett Kavanaugh affair.
OK good example.
Unknown means unknown.

Fooloso4
Moderator
Posts: 3601
Joined: February 28th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Fooloso4 » November 23rd, 2018, 1:54 pm

Dachshund:
To begin with, just google the terms: "Http spectator 2018 ten flaws with Christine Basey Fords testimony"
Is the ability to use the link function beyond the capacity of your intelligence? Has it proven to be as much a mystery to you as using the quote function? (Normally I would not belittle someone for their limited intelligence but since you have seen fit to question the intelligence of a whole race of people, it seems appropriate).
… the fact checking site, he refers to ("SNOOP") …
You are the only one who refers to SNOOP, he linked to Snopes. Unlike you he has figured out how to use the link function.

There were problems with Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony, as there would be with your own testimony if someone attempted to rape you when you were a teenager and you attempted to recall the incident years later. It is likely that there would be gaps in your memory even if you had not suffered a traumatic event if you had to recall the specifics of what happened on a night twenty-five years ago.

If this had been a trial Kavanaugh would probably not have been convicted based on the evidence presented, even though the jury would have found her testimony credible, just as the Republican senators did. If it had been a trial, however, there would have been a more thorough investigation and witnesses would have been subpoenaed. Mike Judge probably would not have come off as a credible witness. Deborah Ramirez’s allegations would have been investigated and those who may have been present questioned. Testimony by friends and acquaintances of Kavanaugh would have testified as to his drinking habits, his actions while drunk, and blackouts.

The ramifications of trauma do not always manifest themselves in logical or predictable ways. The event may be kept secret for years and the effects suppressed.

Blasey Ford does not need to be “absolved from any kind of blame for wrongdoing” because there is no evidence that she did anything wrong.

The letter from a former boyfriend proves nothing. It is an uncorroborated allegation, but if one wants discredit her it becomes unquestionable proof. He is not an unbiased witness. He has accused her of cheating on him and unauthorized charges on his credit card. But he also said that he found her truthful. So, if you believe him then she is truthful not the liar you claim her to be.

In conclusion, there are many, many VERY GOOD REASONS why Blasey Ford should be immediately recalled and re-investigated by the FBI with respect to the content of the testimony she gave under oath before the Senate Committee in the Kavanaugh affair.
There is one good reason why she won’t: Kavanaugh would lose control of the narrative and the results could be damning for him. Blasey Ford asked for an investigation. Democrats repeatedly asked for a thorough investigation, but in the end the investigation was slapdash, too little too late.

User avatar
Steve3007
Posts: 7952
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes of Cyrene
Location: UK

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Steve3007 » November 23rd, 2018, 4:16 pm

Dachshund wrote:just google the terms: "Http spectator 2018 ten flaws with Christine Basey Fords testimony"
Oh dear.
Fooloso4 wrote:Is the ability to use the link function beyond the capacity of your intelligence?
I love the fact that he left the "Http" on.

Eduk
Posts: 2466
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Eduk » November 23rd, 2018, 4:19 pm

Lol I didn't notice because I don't read any of his posts. Nice spot Steve.
Unknown means unknown.

Post Reply