Understanding Trump's Use of Language

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Understanding Trump's Use of Language

Post by Steve3007 »

Fooloso4 wrote:Trump’s opinion on global warming is of less concern than what he is doing to fatally weaken the E.P.A. The latest in a long series of moves is his nomination of Andrew Wheeler, a coal industry lobbyist, to head the E.P.A.
Now that the Democrats control the House of Representatives, is there any chance of them being either willing or able to limit the damage caused by this?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

The best to be done to help the climate situation is make people around the world more wealthy and give them access to better education. The rest is merely complaining about the symptom.

The US has been one of the biggest contributors to carbon emissions LONG before Trump. People want big cars and cheap food even though they’ve got it made out there. Then they complain about less developed countries destroying habits because people prefer to live than die.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
AKA badgerjelly
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve:
Now that the Democrats control the House of Representatives, is there any chance of them being either willing or able to limit the damage caused by this?
I think so. I read somewhere that scientists working with the E.P.A. are keeping research data in private hands, so even if it is suppressed on the E.P.A. website and not presented at meetings, it is still available. The House may start investigations that will bring attention to what the administration is doing to weaken the E.P.A. and suppress research findings. With the Kavanaugh hearings I think the public has developed a taste for political theater. I think there will be enough public support to prevent Trump from completely destroying the agency. The public may become outraged enough to force Congress to act and to oust Republicans from office at the next election. The pushback may even be enough to usher in a new round of legislation for green energy. Tied to job creation it would be very popular.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Fooloso4 wrote:I think so. I read somewhere that scientists working with the E.P.A. are keeping research data in private hands, so even if it is suppressed on the E.P.A. website and not presented at meetings, it is still available...
Yes, I've read something similar. It seems that scientists working with the EPA are forced to try to protect their work from the people who've been appointed by the Trump administration to suppress or destroy it. As Trump made clear in the past few hours, if scientific research concludes something that he doesn't like he simply declares: "I refuse to believe it".

It seems curiously analogous to museum curators in places like Syria having to protect great works of antiquity from the insane vandalism of Daesh.
The House may start investigations that will bring attention to what the administration is doing to weaken the E.P.A. and suppress research findings...
I hope so!
Burning ghost wrote:The best to be done to help the climate situation is make people around the world more wealthy and give them access to better education. The rest is merely complaining about the symptom.
Greater wealth tends, generally, to lead to smaller familes. So, yes, since the underlying cause of climate change is simply the vast number of CO2 producing humans on the planet, greater wealth might mean a managed reduction in human population. But, in the short term, that greater wealth to a larger proporition of the world's population means higher average CO2 emissions per person. Perhaps, in the short term, we still need to deal with what you call the symptom?
The US has been one of the biggest contributors to carbon emissions LONG before Trump. People want big cars and cheap food even though they’ve got it made out there. Then they complain about less developed countries destroying habits because people prefer to live than die.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
This is not specific to the US. It's developed countries in general. On this subject, I don't think accusing these developed countries of hypocrisy helps particularly. It's simply a fact that the world cannot sustain 7.5 billion people all with a big car and a developed-country ("western") lifestyle. But it's also a fact that it would be impossible to persuade the citizens of developed countries (us) to voluntarily give up our cars and our cheap food. We have to work with the situation in which we find ourselves and look for solutions to the problem that actually have a chance of being accepted and of working.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve -

I believe, but I may be wrong, that the US is the worst culprit of all western countries - I may have been misinformed though. You’re right though, in the short term some things can be done; the serious problem remains the long term goals (a meal to eat today is hardly worth it if I have to starve for the rest of the month.)
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I think Australia has overtaken the US, BG, just that being ten times smaller means less impact. However, I suspect that we are culturally changing a little. Many of us are nervous about trends in the US, but also about interference by the Chinese.

Ideally, the US would be a solid counterbalance for China's ambitions to control our resources as part of their Silk Road, but unfortunately the nation seems burned out by the burden of long term global leadership in an ever more complex world, so they are now sacrificing its soft power just as the global power dynamics are reforming.

So this Trumpism move in the US means Australia will become very much more Chinese in the future, although somewhat counterbalanced by many Indian migrants. I am hopeful that that the blend of cultures will be positive as each broad demographic has plenty to teach to the others.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Burning ghost wrote:I believe, but I may be wrong, that the US is the worst culprit of all western countries - I may have been misinformed though.
Greta wrote:I think Australia has overtaken the US, BG, just that being ten times smaller means less impact.
I presume it's partly a function of geography. The USA and Australia are relatively, physically, big countries so the average carbon footprint of each individual is inevitably going to be larger than it is in the UK, I presume. Petrol in Australia appears to be a little over half the price, per litre, that it costs in western Europe. In the US it's less than half the price.

Approximate prices in US dollars per litre:
US: 0.76
Australia: 0.99
UK: 1.60

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

But I preume it would be both politically and geographically impractical to tax petrol at West European levels in countries where travelling distances are so much larger. Having said that, French President Emmanuel Macron is facing large scale protests against further increases in fuel taxes - the "yellow vest" protests.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

An interesting thing I've just noticed about petrol/gasoline prices in western Europe, from the source I cited above: There's quite a big difference between Holland and Belgium. I wonder if a lot of Dutch people drive across the border to fill up.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

It would make sense to hike up the price of fuel and subsidize for public transport fuel costs in order to lower the cost of public transport - given that in the UK privatization has made this a no go I guess it’s a moot point. Another option would be to implement laws for maximum fares, but there’s probably too many loopholes to make it a pragmatic idea.

Gas in poorer countries is VERY low. It is based on what people can afford really. Power (meaning material power) is a problem. People need it to get on and the price we’re paying in environmental terms is unknown.

Trump may be freeing up money to create a better and more stable economy that doesn’t need to rely on more and more fuel. I find that hard to believe though. The main issue is with the countries who are not economically stable enough to concern themselves with environmental effects - which leads straight back to the need to bring up the “standard of living” on a global scale. The myopic view of nationhood is dated and inevitably going to lead to its own disolution.

Basically I strongly believe that trying to make changes at home (modern western society) is pretty fruitless in terms of protecting the environment. The enrichment of neighbouring countries is the only serious possible solution I can see. From there we can only hope/encourage catalysation prior to too many countries falling too far behind. There is financial growth in African countries now, what concerns me is the internal and external mismanagement of these budding nations in Africa and elsewhere.

I think in the west it would be better to press on for an actual shift in how we vote and how people are heard on the political landscape. We seem too slow on the uptake when it comes to political reform; although with just reasons give that no one really wants to upset the cart - but we cannot hold back technology ... it will have to happen sooner rather than later or votes that have weight will become even more disconnected from the social situations.

Anyway, veering WAY off-topic here. You can go back to shouting and scream now about Trump ;)
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Note: I’ll post something later about what kind of change I am hoping for in the future and why I believe it is essential to push for one sooner rather than later.

Gotta go rake some leaves! ;)
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Burning ghost wrote:Gotta go rake some leaves! ;)
Did some Finnish people tell you that's a good way to put out forest fires? ;)
You can go back to shouting and scream now about Trump ;)
OK. I'm interested in what course of action the Saudis decide on at the upcoming OPEC meeting.

The whole debacle with the assassination of that journalist at that consulate building in Turkey gave Trump the opportunity to demonstrate to their crown prince that he's got him where he wants him. By publicly supporting him, despite all the evidence, against accusations of murder and by showing his presidential pleasure at the falling oil price, he makes it very clear to the Crown Prince that he will not be at all pleased if they decide to cut production and support the price. And he makes it clear that it's in the crown prince's interests to keep Trump happy, because an unhappy Trump could make things difficult for him by suddenly deciding that there is a murder case to answer after all.

So I suspect that even though a low oil price is very painful for the Saudis, they won't cut production by enough to push prices up significantly and displease the boss. But I guess we'll soon see. US inventories showed another build this afternoon and crude dropped. But as I speak it's rising again.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream