Understanding Trump's Use of Language

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: Understanding Trump's Use of Language

Post by Steve3007 »

This appears to be another interesting (if that's the right word) test of the different schools of thought about the way to interpret the US Constitution, that you mentioned in a previous post.

As far as I can gather from the News, Trump has consulted his lawyers, they've told him that he can do this via an executive order, so he's said he is going to go ahead. I guess he believes what his lawyers tell him and, as you say, he thinks it's going to play well with a section of his base.

I presume it's part of the campaign to try to ensure that the midterm elections are all about the dangers of immigrants. It goes along with the other main theme - the millions of "middle easterners" who are streaming across Mexico towards the southern border of the US, their swords held aloft, ready to invade the country and slaughter the populace unless the president comes to the rescue with troops.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Georgeanna wrote: October 31st, 2018, 5:29 am
I'm not sure that Lakoff's metaphor of the Republicans as big daddy,pater and the Democrats as good nurturing mater with pater is particularly helpful.

And as discussed previously, it is open to the charge of generalization.
Further criticism of Lakoff from Steven Pinker in his review of 'Whose Freedom ? ( 2006)

https://newrepublic.com/article/77730/b ... rge-lakoff
There is much to admire in Lakoff's work in linguistics, but Whose Freedom?, and more generally his thinking about politics, is a train wreck. Though it contains messianic claims about everything from epistemology to political tactics, the book has no footnotes or references (just a generic reading list), and cites no studies from political science or economics, and barely mentions linguistics. Its use of cognitive neuroscience goes way beyond any consensus within that field, and

its analysis of political ideologies is skewed by the author's own politics and limited by his disregard of centuries of prior thinking on the subject. And Lakoff's cartoonish depiction of progressives as saintly sophisticates and conservatives as evil morons fails on both intellectual and tactical grounds.
We just can't seem to get away from metaphors - 'his thinking about politics is a train wreck'.

Wonder if Pinker has anything interesting to say about current situation. Trump as a Steamroller...
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Fooloso4 wrote:
Trump said he is going to end birthright citizenship by executive order. What this means in short is that he holds his authority above that of the Constitution.
Trump thinks he is above the law. Full stop. Steamrolling on...as per plan.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Steve3007 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:35 am This appears to be another interesting (if that's the right word) test of the different schools of thought about the way to interpret the US Constitution, that you mentioned in a previous post.

As far as I can gather from the News, Trump has consulted his lawyers, they've told him that he can do this via an executive order, so he's said he is going to go ahead. I guess he believes what his lawyers tell him and, as you say, he thinks it's going to play well with a section of his base.

I presume it's part of the campaign to try to ensure that the midterm elections are all about the dangers of immigrants. It goes along with the other main theme - the millions of "middle easterners" who are streaming across Mexico towards the southern border of the US, their swords held aloft, ready to invade the country and slaughter the populace unless the president comes to the rescue with troops.
:) All played out in glorious technicolour. But wait up. Someone at Fox, no less, is ready with a spoiler...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... t-fox-news

This week, a clip of Smith debunking the Honduran migrant “human caravan” went viral. “Tomorrow is one week before the midterm election, which is what all of this is about,” he orated, from his weekly afternoon show, Shepard Smith Reporting. “There is no invasion. No one is coming to get you. There’s nothing at all to worry about.” Smith went on to inform his viewers that there are over 2,000 miles between Mexico’s southern border and the US. And that a similar previous incident had resulted in only 14 arrests: “We’re America. We can handle it.

This was galling to the station’s loyal fans. Accustomed to a hyper-partisan diet of Tucker Carlson at eight, Sean Hannity at nine and Laura Ingraham at 10 Smith feels like an anachronism. One aggrieved viewer tweeted: “Excuse me, Fox News. If I want more of Shep Smith, I’ll tune into CNN.”

Increasingly, Smith has been waging a one-man crusade against the flotsam of conspiracy that attaches itself to the Trump project. Take his recent chummy interview with a correspondent from the New York Times, in which he calmly plotted out the holes in Trump’s “great businessman” narrative, climaxing in the revelation that Trump “had lost over $900m”.
------
Liberal interpretations tend to assume that Fox executives have placed Shepard in the middle of the schedules in order to create a backbone of “real news” around which they can stitch the infotainment: an Emmanuel Goldstein of internal opposition. The station certainly has a lively tradition of putting up low quality liberal avatars, ready to be knocked out of the park by a Bill O’Reilly or a Tucker Carlson. But perhaps the more prosaic answer is that Smith is too much of a station stalwart to be downsized. He has, after all, 22 years of loyal service, until 2013 anchoring their version of a nightly news bulletin, The Fox Report.

In recent years though, Smith has become more open about his displeasure at the rest of the network. During the 2016 election he called Fox News “both ‘the craziest conservative network on Earth’ and ‘the freaky place where I’m working right now’.

Shortly after he voiced doubts to interviewers over how long he would be able to continue at the channel into the future but in March 2018, he signed up for another three years. He spoke to Time magazine about his decision, saying: “I wonder, if I stopped delivering the facts, what would go in its place.”

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Steve3007:
Trump, following in his father’s footsteps, and mentored by Roy Cohn, has always sought to circumvent the law. He constantly pushes against it and when he loses in court he settles or pays his fine and moves on. He is attempting to exploit a vagueness in the wording of the Amendment in order to accomplish his own ends. One might wonder whether he thinks he can prevail on legal grounds, but this may be the wrong question to ask. I think he believes he can prevail because he is Trump and that even if he loses the battle it is still a victory in the war against immigration. It will play with the Trumpettes as evidence of the corruption and danger of the enemy, both within and without, attempting to destroy the country, and as evidence that something must be done.
I presume it's part of the campaign to try to ensure that the midterm elections are all about the dangers of immigrants.
He is stoking the fear by sending the military to the border now, ahead of the election, even though it is clear that if it reaches the border it will not be until after the election. What is not clear is how large it will be, or even if it will reach the border. But Trump wants to give the impression that we are in imminent danger and our only hope is the action of Republicans.
It goes along with the other main theme - the millions of "middle easterners" who are streaming across Mexico towards the southern border of the US, their swords held aloft, ready to invade the country and slaughter the populace unless the president comes to the rescue with troops.
This is what Trump said about this when asked for evidence:
There's no proof of anything. There's no proof of anything. But there could very well be.
In the pre-Trump era such a claim would have been seen as deeply troubling, but it has now become part of the new normal. No proof of anything could mean a) that there are no facts that stand as proof of anything, that b) we should not believe mainstream media because there is no proof of anything they say, or less broadly, c) we do not know who might be in the caravan. Even if this is taken in the more limited sense of the caravan, Trump moves from uncertainty to fear. Without any need for evidence he concludes: “there could very well be”. It may be that he is just waiving off the fact that he has no evidence to back up his claim, but it could very well be that his message is that evidence does not matter. Note that he repeats “there is no proof of anything”. It may be that repetition is just a habit of his speech but it it could very well be a way of emphasizing his message that “there is no proof of anything”.

As he said in a speech at a Veterans of Foreign Wars Convention in Kansas City, Mo.:
Just remember, what you are seeing and what you are reading is not what's happening. Just stick with us, don't believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news.
There is no proof of anything so stick with us.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

It's all very well analysing Trump's use of language - his rhetoric,repetitive speech patterns and all the rest of it - but he is still getting all the headlines, all the attention.
But where is the opposition - their steadying language; their positive message...
All I've got so far is Hillary Clinton being delusional and unhelpful.

Please tell me there is an intelligent, charismatic challenger out there. Someone with a chance in hell...
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

I am surprised that Fox keeps Shep Smith on the air, but the simple answer may be that his show is popular. Why it is popular may be more difficult to ascertain. Perhaps he is like the villain in WWE wrestling matches, someone they love to hate - “Hannity vs. Smith. No holds barred match.” Maybe because he provides a degree of journalist integrity, even if his audience rejects everything he says they can still assure themselves that Fox is not just a propaganda machine and presents both sides. Many viewers have made their hatred of Smith clear, but are there some who are persuaded by anything he says? Does his viewership show that we should not be too quick to paint Fox viewers with a broad brush? Or do many of his viewers come to Fox only to watch his show?

Georgeanna:
It's all very well analysing Trump's use of language - his rhetoric,repetitive speech patterns and all the rest of it - but he is still getting all the headlines, all the attention.
This is true. It has been to his advantage, but in the long term it may not be. If the majority takes issue with more and more of what he says and does the attention will not work in his favor. While some feel vindicated by him and buy into his message, there are many who who have been galvanized to action against him. It should not be forgotten that he lost the popular vote. And, Clinton’s lack of popularity even with Democrats should not be overlooked.
Please tell me there is an intelligent, charismatic challenger out there. Someone with a chance in hell…
I think there will be several challengers who have much more than a chance in hell, but then again, I did not think that Trump had a chance in hell of winning. Right now it is a matter of Trump vs. not Trump and it is anyone’s guess which side is stronger. A candidate who is perceived as being too far to the Left might worry moderates concerned with bouncing from one extreme to the other without a middle. No doubt the Republicans will portray any Democratic candidate as an extremist, but that case will be easier to make against some than others. The Democrats may try to play to the middle or may decide they have a better chance of getting people to vote if they have a candidate who will bring change not just from Trump but from establishment politics. I think the election of a Democratic black woman governor in Georgia and a Democratic black man for governor in Florida will be important gauges for the presidential election.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Georgeanna wrote: October 31st, 2018, 4:42 am
Trump sayings at brainyquotes.

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/donald_trump
I was hoping to find a brainy quote somewhere among all the ones given. Most are simply vulgar and the best are at best conventional. To call these "brainy" defaults to fake news.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Greta,

Having recently analysed your use of the English language ( in terms of prose style) in a goodly sized, random sample of posts that you have published on this forum to date, I am now able to confirm, for a fact, that you are a racist, specifically, a white (Anglo-Saxon) supremacist. You do not realise this of course, and will automatically deny the charge most emphatically; but that is only because you are- idiomatically speaking- "Unable to see the Forest for the Trees", in this particular matter ! There is, however, a scholarly paper, I stumbled upon a few days ago, ( published in 2008 in the Journal of Linguistic Anthropology) that can effectively explain for you why what I say is true (i.e; that you are full-blooded, albeit blithely unwitting, white racist of the first order). The academic paper to which I refer It is not too lengthy a piece, and, on the condition that you would promise to read it carefully, (along with a very brief introductory preface written by my good self), I will happily send you the details of how to access the article free of charge on the internet.

Please let me know if you are interested in taking up this opportunity to better understand the true nature of your own personality (!)

Regards

Dachshund
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

John, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks I "really" am, just the person I try to be. That person is not saddled with hostility and contempt for my fellow humans based on superficialities.

People who believe irrational and unjustifiable things love to claim others as their own. How often have theists claimed that atheism is a religious belief? How often have racists claimed that the only difference between them and others is they are not hypocrites?

This is seemingly just standard overcompensation due to the inherent insecurity of holding a logically unjustifiable position driven by denied emotions.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Donald J. Trump speaking to reporters today:
Birthright citizenship is a very, very important subject. In my opinion, it’s much less complex than people think. I think it say it very loud and clear in the Constitution that you don’t have to go through the process of whatever they’re talking about.
I think it says it loud and clear, he don’t know what he’s talking about.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dachshund wrote: October 31st, 2018, 9:42 pm Greta,

Having recently analysed your use of the English language ( in terms of prose style) in a goodly sized, random sample of posts that you have published on this forum to date, I am now able to confirm, for a fact, that you are a racist, specifically, a white (Anglo-Saxon) supremacist. You do not realise this of course, and will automatically deny the charge most emphatically; but that is only because you are- idiomatically speaking- "Unable to see the Forest for the Trees", in this particular matter ! There is, however, a scholarly paper, I stumbled upon a few days ago, ( published in 2008 in the Journal of Linguistic Anthropology) that can effectively explain for you why what I say is true (i.e; that you are full-blooded, albeit blithely unwitting, white racist of the first order). The academic paper to which I refer It is not too lengthy a piece, and, on the condition that you would promise to read it carefully, (along with a very brief introductory preface written by my good self), I will happily send you the details of how to access the article free of charge on the internet.

Please let me know if you are interested in taking up this opportunity to better understand the true nature of your own personality (!)

Regards

Dachshund
I can't really blame you for trying to draw conclusions about folks you don't really know based on their use of language and ideas, since lots have already done that on your behalf.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

LuckyR -

As the aim of this thread appears to be about drawing conclusions about people’s speech it is interesting to see how quick/ready we are to respond to things that impact upon our moral sensibilities.

Trump’s use of language is that of a businessman negotiating and manipulating his customers/clients/opponents in orer to make a deal that suits his businesses needs. At the moment his “business” is the US. I imagine his attitude and talk is not much different from what you’d hear in any boardroom meeting about how to revivify said business.

There is a lot of crossover between governmental positions and business positions. Trump seems unwilling to curb his speech to suit the position he is in and he also seems more than willing to suffer the consequences. Why is anyone shocked by his rhetoric? He is a “businessman” not a politician. If you look at those who achieve a lot in the business world they are not usually the kind of people ready and willing to mix their words to make people feel better. They set targets, taek risks, and keep people guessing.

I imagine a lot of the votes in the US, as well as in the UK, fell they way they fell due to people being wise enough today to recognise condescension, the naivety of youthful voters, the converative values of the elderly, and the intense level of carpet-bombing everyone with floods of information. Give someone 20 choices and they’ll take a year deciding - by which time the landscape would’ve shifted so much as to make the choice as good as null and void - yet give them 2 or 3 options and they’ll come to a quicker and steadier decision. All the politicians need to do is plan out a course of action by which the citizens are left with a pathway of reduced questions that lead to a conclusive decision (I say that is ALL they need to do like it is simplistic!)

Our species has not long been living in such large numbers. Populations have exponentially grown - go back to the 18th and 19th century and teh largest cities were 100,000 and then rose quickly to 1 million. Now we’re struggling to adapt our governmental systems to this. Maybe online voting will become a part of how decisions are made in the near future. Maybe a true democracy is on the way? Would it be “better” or “worse”?
AKA badgerjelly
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

LuckyR wrote: November 1st, 2018, 2:11 am

I can't really blame you for trying to draw conclusions about folks you don't really know based on their use of language and ideas, since lots have already done that on your behalf.
You don't say, Lucky ?! I would never have thought there would be so many forum members/guests who were competent linguistic anthropologists !

Regards

Dachshund
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think the idea of analysing the use of language by each other, on this website, is an interesting one. I'd be interested to see a topic started on that subject. We all have easy access to every word that each other has said since first coming here, so there's lots of material from which to draw. The only snag I can see is that, arguably, the whole raison d'être of such a topic would be to break some of the forum rules.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream