Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Political prisoners

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: Political prisoners

Post by Alias » November 7th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Eduk wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 1:26 pm
Alias how does that article demonstrate that all leaders overstep the bounds of their good judgement?
The article doesn't. The history of civilization does.
Also what do you mean by leader?
I was responding to Georgeanna, who wanted "the people" to gain power through leaders. In history, whatever leaders the people throw up in order to achieve some desirable end, become dictators -- unless there are limits on their power.
But I don't see how not letting the president get away with shooting people on the street affects waste disposal design.
Good. Because I don't see how waste disposal systems affect the presidency and its corruption by excessive power.
The president of the Philippines can and does shoot people; the president of the United States has said publicly that he could.
Some other bully in North Carolina wants to look inside your pants before letting you use a toilet.
But none of them could build a drainpipe to save their thrones.

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » November 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Sure if by leaders you mean dictators fine. And if by power you mean unlimited power then also fine.

Although I would say that so far only certain kinds of people have become dictators. I rather suspect the right kind of person would never want to be a dictator
Unknown means unknown.

Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias » November 8th, 2018, 1:57 am

Eduk wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm
Sure if by leaders you mean dictators fine. And if by power you mean unlimited power then also fine.
What I said was that power needs to be curbed in order to prevent leaders turning into dictators.
Although I would say that so far only certain kinds of people have become dictators. I rather suspect the right kind of person would never want to be a dictator
Quite so. Only the type who want to run the show are ever in the position to corrupt power. All the ones who don't strive to be boss, or compete for promotion to command positions, or run for elected office are never in any danger of being leaders or dictators.