Are Social Networks going to replace Nations?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Burning ghost

Are Social Networks going to replace Nations?

Post by Burning ghost »

I’ve been watching certain patterns in the internet regarding how people are waxing and waning, leaving and joining and even being banned and/or silenced on the internet.

It seems to me that it is possible, if not entirely appreciated, that social networks will become so politicized that they’ll effectively represent a whole political spectra of global society.

Any expansion on this brief thought you’d like to add?
AKA badgerjelly
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Re: Are Social Networks going to replace Nations?

Post by h_k_s »

Burning ghost wrote: December 17th, 2018, 6:09 am I’ve been watching certain patterns in the internet regarding how people are waxing and waning, leaving and joining and even being banned and/or silenced on the internet.

It seems to me that it is possible, if not entirely appreciated, that social networks will become so politicized that they’ll effectively represent a whole political spectra of global society.

Nations will be controlled by whomever controls the military in those nations.

So social media will remain irrelevant.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Regarding the OP:

It sounds like what you're talking about is distributed virtual nations replacing traditional ones. It's an interesting idea. We already have distributed communities consisting of individuals who don't necessarily live in the same geographical location. I myself regard my community as being a combination of family, friends, work-mates and neighbours only a minority of whom (now) live close to me. Most of them started off living close but moved.

Of course, this isn't something that suddenly started with the advent of internet-based social media. It was just massively enhanced by that technology. Before that people wrote letters.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I suppose one sense in which we already have something vaguely similar to this concept of a distributed virtual Nation is in the concept of a Diaspora, such as the international Jewish Diaspora. But in this kind of example the community still seems to be united by the idea of a geographical homeland to which they aspire to return.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

h_k_s wrote: December 17th, 2018, 6:14 am
Burning ghost wrote: December 17th, 2018, 6:09 am I’ve been watching certain patterns in the internet regarding how people are waxing and waning, leaving and joining and even being banned and/or silenced on the internet.

I made a mistake with my choice of words.

What I was referring to is how the concept of “nation” has developed over time. The modern concept of the nation refers to rigidly defined geographical areas whilst if you go back a couple of centuries such borders didn’t exist - the modern view is largely to do with the effect of industrialization and global commerce.

The “military” is only one of many factors that determine “nation”. I would even argue that today the use of military force is on the decline and that “war” has started to move more towards less direct physical challenges (for better or worst). We can easily choose to view the world through this or that lens; be it military, religious, economic or otherwise. I find it hard to dispute that the rise of the internet has had not only an unforeseen effect upon where we are today, but that it will play a significant role in where we go to next in regards to human identity and our understanding of humanity as a fractured whole clumsily staggering toward and unknown, and unknowable, future in which concepts of “nation” will in my view be absorbed by a different abstract idea of “society”/“community”.

The industrial revolution changed the face of the planet and I believe the information revolution will change the inner landscape of humanity by disposing, piece by piece (and silently) the concept of “country” and that in some future scenario people will be calling themselves “Instagrammians,” “Facebookians” and something along those lines; of course I don’t mean those social media sources will rise that high only that the global population will move toward a non-geographic based concept of “nation” and that the very idea of “borders” on the physical landscape will become as good as defunct even if the natural resources that lie within don’t.
AKA badgerjelly
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Burning ghost wrote: December 17th, 2018, 10:18 am
h_k_s wrote: December 17th, 2018, 6:14 am

I made a mistake with my choice of words.

What I was referring to is how the concept of “nation” has developed over time. The modern concept of the nation refers to rigidly defined geographical areas whilst if you go back a couple of centuries such borders didn’t exist - the modern view is largely to do with the effect of industrialization and global commerce.

The “military” is only one of many factors that determine “nation”. I would even argue that today the use of military force is on the decline and that “war” has started to move more towards less direct physical challenges (for better or worst). We can easily choose to view the world through this or that lens; be it military, religious, economic or otherwise. I find it hard to dispute that the rise of the internet has had not only an unforeseen effect upon where we are today, but that it will play a significant role in where we go to next in regards to human identity and our understanding of humanity as a fractured whole clumsily staggering toward and unknown, and unknowable, future in which concepts of “nation” will in my view be absorbed by a different abstract idea of “society”/“community”.

The industrial revolution changed the face of the planet and I believe the information revolution will change the inner landscape of humanity by disposing, piece by piece (and silently) the concept of “country” and that in some future scenario people will be calling themselves “Instagrammians,” “Facebookians” and something along those lines; of course I don’t mean those social media sources will rise that high only that the global population will move toward a non-geographic based concept of “nation” and that the very idea of “borders” on the physical landscape will become as good as defunct even if the natural resources that lie within don’t.
After you do some more research you then need to rethink your notion about nations and their military.

The world is a power play between the USA, Russia, and China. The other countries are merely banana republics. Especially Germany.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Social media is an extremely efficient tool for dispensing propaganda. However since the folks who pay the bills care more about power and wealth than about ideology, both sides can corral their side and whip them into a frenzy. But we are currently running into the issue of: What do you do when your base is already maxed out on being thrown "red meat"? You can continue to do so, but it doesn't really grow the base.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Hks -

Do research where? That isn’t a valid repsonse, I expect an answer or no answer at all. You don’t have to agree with my musings but if you’ve got nothing of substance to offer ... well, y’know.
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

LuckyR wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:18 pm Social media is an extremely efficient tool for dispensing propaganda. However since the folks who pay the bills care more about power and wealth than about ideology, both sides can corral their side and whip them into a frenzy. But we are currently running into the issue of: What do you do when your base is already maxed out on being thrown "red meat"? You can continue to do so, but it doesn't really grow the base.
To expand a little further. I am considering the manner in which people associate with different media applications. We’ve seen quite a bit of news these last few years regarding how people use and navigate these sites. People do actually care about how they’re percieved and people can protest certain attitudes and ideologies enforced by internet sites by leaving them.

Here is something someone else posted on another forum some time ago: https://asgardia.space/en/blog/asgardia ... asgardian/

Obviously this is not exactly what I am talking about, but it does show a certain untapped potential of communications and an exchange of ideas. I don’t think it is fair to to say everything is about leadership is determined by “power” (by which I am assuming ‘brute force’ is meant behind that term) or to class all interactions as “propaganda”. An exchange and discussion of ideas and views about the political landscape isn’t necessarily “propaganda”. If we are to class these things as propaganda then we may as well call all schooling, learning, knowledge and experience some kind of “stealth propaganda” dressed as the original Greek meaning of “politika” (affairs of the state or the science of governing).
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote: December 18th, 2018, 12:18 am
LuckyR wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:18 pm Social media is an extremely efficient tool for dispensing propaganda. However since the folks who pay the bills care more about power and wealth than about ideology, both sides can corral their side and whip them into a frenzy. But we are currently running into the issue of: What do you do when your base is already maxed out on being thrown "red meat"? You can continue to do so, but it doesn't really grow the base.
To expand a little further. I am considering the manner in which people associate with different media applications. We’ve seen quite a bit of news these last few years regarding how people use and navigate these sites. People do actually care about how they’re percieved and people can protest certain attitudes and ideologies enforced by internet sites by leaving them.

Here is something someone else posted on another forum some time ago: https://asgardia.space/en/blog/asgardia ... asgardian/

Obviously this is not exactly what I am talking about, but it does show a certain untapped potential of communications and an exchange of ideas. I don’t think it is fair to to say everything is about leadership is determined by “power” (by which I am assuming ‘brute force’ is meant behind that term) or to class all interactions as “propaganda”. An exchange and discussion of ideas and views about the political landscape isn’t necessarily “propaganda”. If we are to class these things as propaganda then we may as well call all schooling, learning, knowledge and experience some kind of “stealth propaganda” dressed as the original Greek meaning of “politika” (affairs of the state or the science of governing).
Of course not, I never said it is. However the social media programmers get paid by the click. The current (incredibly efficient) model shows viewers increasingly fringe (read: interesting) headlines to click on. At some point in order to make a more interesting headline the authors will have to stray from the truth into half truth then quarter truth and at some point you have crossed into propaganda territory.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

And my thinking is from here people, more likely the up and coming generations, will be more aware of this than we are due to exposure since childhood and an understanding of how a simple word can be blown out of proportion their peers let alone the media. I would expect from here that a more astute generation will come to the fore and that source uses on the internet will help define certain ideological groups regardless of geographical location.

I am not suggesti that this is either a “positive” or a “negative” thing. Merely I am saying I see things possibly moving towards this although I cannot honestly fathom what it may evolve into eventually - I am more confident in saying the idea of “nation” will certainly become something else (meaning a far weaker role of geographical location on personal identity - which, again, may or may not be a positive thing?)

Note: My apologies. I quoted you, but the later part was more of a general address to others who’ve responded. From Obviously onwards I was addressing everysone - edit if you wish for clarity, I certainly wasn’t trying to put words in anyone’s mouth.
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

h_k_s wrote:The world is a power play between the USA, Russia, and China. The other countries are merely banana republics. Especially Germany.
A Banana republic is a country whose economy is based almost entirely on the export of a single limited resource (e.g. bananas). Countries like Russia and Saudi Arabia arguably approximate this with their dependence on oil exports. Clearly to divide the countries of the world as quoted above is absurd.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

meaning a far weaker role of geographical location on personal identity - which, again, may or may not be a positive thing?
I think, due to technology, that geography is less and less important as regards tribalism. I'd even go so far as to say technology is reducing the need for tribalism.
Unknown means unknown.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Steve3007 wrote: December 18th, 2018, 5:56 am
h_k_s wrote:The world is a power play between the USA, Russia, and China. The other countries are merely banana republics. Especially Germany.
A Banana republic is a country whose economy is based almost entirely on the export of a single limited resource (e.g. bananas). Countries like Russia and Saudi Arabia arguably approximate this with their dependence on oil exports. Clearly to divide the countries of the world as quoted above is absurd.
Good technical point.
Plaffelvohfen
New Trial Member

Post by Plaffelvohfen »

Fun idea to play with... ;)

I think there's potential in digital social networking but there are traps too. Virtual echo chambers are not appropriate places to nurture minds in my opinion, and they're popping up all across the social web... I'm of the opinion that not all ideas are good ideas, thus my apprehension of those echo chambers at the moment...

That said, I agree with you that the information revolution will change the inner landscape of humanity, but I don't think we will be able to distance ourselves from geo-locality as much... I think (hope?) the information age will instead, finally force us into space colonization... I can imagine the legal establishment of different Virtual Nations via some kind of digital Constitutions as a prelude for independent space colony programs... A whole bunch of different "Kickstarted" independent colonies based on philosophical ideas, you may have to invest for your great-great-great grand children but eh, I like to think we're more than ourselves... ;)

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream