My Treatise on Liberty

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Logician
New Trial Member

My Treatise on Liberty

Post by Logician »

Hi everyone. This is my very first post on this forum, so please bear with me. Thanks.

This will be a lengthy post, because I'm going to do my best at substantiating my claims. Though - English is not my native language.
However I will also do my best at making this post as short or precise as possible, though this will inevitably lead to lack of sourcing and other stuff neccessary for propper arguments, so feel free to ask in-depth questions. I will try and answer the best I can.

I know this is a politics philosophy, and my post will be about political philosophy, but first I'll try to find some meaningful definitions upon which I will found my main basic political-philosophical opinions.

-----------

Why Liberty

It is my opinion that Liberty - especially Personal Freedom (in contrast to or a neccesssity for - economic freedom) is the most important aspect of life.

We are all humans but we are also unique individuals. We have different skills/abilities and different weaknesses. Some are physically strong, others are mentally weak, others are disabled but capable of contributing to society in one way or the other.

What I'm trying to say is that Liberty is a neccessity for humans to strive and find the meaning in their own life -
the pursue of happiness so to speak.

What makes sense in your life - for you - may not neccessarily make sense for someone else.

The question about Liberty is all about the meaning of life, and I believe that the meaning of life only makes sense from a relative point of view - depending on the individual in question and the environment in which (s)he lives.

Types of Liberties

In my opinion, there are two sets of Liberties from which all other liberties exists:

Personal and Economic Freedom.

I'll start with the latter:

Economic freedom has to do with paying as few taxes as possible, and allowed to spend your money on whatever you so choose.
To earn your money in any (legal) way you so choose. You also have the responsibility of not getting in debt amongst other responsibilities.

To earn or loan money - or inherit, is all about economic freedom.

However, many economically liberal nations are rarely liberal. Take Singapore. Or China. Both countries are economically liberal, but lacks Personal Liberty.

For what is all the the money worth, if you can spend it on whatever you like - but you cannot use the stuff as you so choose (even without harming others or limiting the freedom of others)?

This is why I believe the Economic Freedom is the lesser freedom. The Personal Freedom is the most important. It has to do with the right to free speech. The right to assembly. The right to search any book you so choose and hold the political leanings and opinions you want. And the right to live your life as you so choose.

Of course all this without harming or limiting the liberties of others.

How to achieve Liberty

But Liberty cannot be achieved through anarchy. For with anarchy the strongest or best adapted species will decide the rights and liberties of lesser species. This is why we need a civilization. A State.

Without the State to protect the liberties, those who already own lands and ressources will be stronger and outcompete the weak, leaving the weak with little to no other options than becoming indebted to their benefactors. This is a humiliating and liberty-depriving situation.

A State should protect anyone from harm from others and also open the possibilities for as many people as possible to make their own way of life to pursue their own happiness.

This is why states offer education, and some welfare states even offer health care partly or wholly financed through taxes, so that anyone can have a chance of getting an education, or recieve health care when they get sick.

They limit the economic freedoms to enhance (some) personal freedoms - through heavy taxation.

But this is a small price of economic freedom to ehnance the personal liberty for the (vast) majority.

But I think we can do better than that:

Welfare Benefits - like unemployment benefits, disability benefits etc. often come with the requirements of work.

At first it might seem "fair" that people work in return for benefits. But the fact is that they are only becoming indebted to the state - the benefactors. The State then decides what job they should take, and how much they should work. Their only alternative is to say "No Thanks" and die of hunger and thirst.

This is not about liberty. Work-requirements is equivalent of slavery. You probably already heard the phrase "wage slavery" - employees working not because the chose to do so to get extra money to sweeten their life, but out of neccessity and thus becoming indedbted to their employers who can do almost anything to them only limited by the state regulations on the labor laws.

This is why I think that to achieve Personal Freedom we need Unconditional Basic Income (UBI), one which is levelled according to the income. This does not mean any citizen gets this UBI, but anyone who don't earn their own money or earn below the limit (whatever that might be - the limit as well as the rate - is beyond this topic) recieve this benefit without the requirement of work.

It may not be high. It should still grant you incentive to get out of the UBI and work for a living. But this time it is on YOUR conditions. Your life - your choice.

It may be that people will start a business of their own. Without the UBI anyone trying to start their own business will have to ask the bank for loans for the project - unless they're born with a silverspoon.

With UBI you take fewer risks with starting your own business. If it fails, you always have the UBI to fall back on.

You will always be guaranteed a minimum income in your own search for Liberty and The Meaning of Life.

Many great minds of science and philosophy either had a huge fortune or were lucky that they had benefactors that allowed them their studies and liberties.

Why not give everyone this oppoturnity - from the bottom up?

Along with having UBI instead of "workfare"-benefits, we also need to abolish other work-duties - like Conscription.
Conscription certainly is Forced Labor. It has nothing to do with liberty.

If you country is threatened by a superpower that is going to enslave you/your people it is equivalent to an oxymoron of enslaving people to the army to avoid... enslavement.

If liberty is truely threatened any able-bodied person will do what it takes to help defend the country - without being forced to it. It also raise the morale of the soldiers to have their freedom - and fight for it rather than fighting because of threat of punishment from their own state.

---

I hope you enjoy reading this "Treatise" - small whatever it may be, and it could probably do better, but I hope to get the premises right and get some useful response.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Re: My Treatise on Liberty

Post by h_k_s »

Logician wrote: January 12th, 2019, 1:10 pm Hi everyone. This is my very first post on this forum, so please bear with me. Thanks.

This will be a lengthy post, because I'm going to do my best at substantiating my claims. Though - English is not my native language.
However I will also do my best at making this post as short or precise as possible, though this will inevitably lead to lack of sourcing and other stuff neccessary for propper arguments, so feel free to ask in-depth questions. I will try and answer the best I can.

I know this is a politics philosophy, and my post will be about political philosophy, but first I'll try to find some meaningful definitions upon which I will found my main basic political-philosophical opinions.

-----------

Why Liberty

It is my opinion that Liberty - especially Personal Freedom (in contrast to or a neccesssity for - economic freedom) is the most important aspect of life.

We are all humans but we are also unique individuals. We have different skills/abilities and different weaknesses. Some are physically strong, others are mentally weak, others are disabled but capable of contributing to society in one way or the other.

What I'm trying to say is that Liberty is a neccessity for humans to strive and find the meaning in their own life -

What makes sense in your life - for you - may not neccessarily make sense for someone else.

The question about Liberty is all about the meaning of life, and I believe that the meaning of life only makes sense from a relative point of view - depending on the individual in question and the environment in which (s)he lives.

Types of Liberties

In my opinion, there are two sets of Liberties from which all other liberties exists:

Economic freedom has to do with paying as few taxes as possible, and allowed to spend your money on whatever you so choose.
To earn your money in any (legal) way you so choose. You also have the responsibility of not getting in debt amongst other responsibilities.

However, many economically liberal nations are rarely liberal. Take Singapore. Or China. Both countries are economically liberal, but lacks Personal Liberty.

For what is all the the money worth, if you can spend it on whatever you like - but you cannot use the stuff as you so choose (even without harming others or limiting the freedom of others)?

This is why I believe the Economic Freedom is the lesser freedom. The Personal Freedom is the most important. It has to do with the right to free speech. The right to assembly. The right to search any book you so choose and hold the political leanings and opinions you want. And the right to live your life as you so choose.

How to achieve Liberty

But Liberty cannot be achieved through anarchy. For with anarchy the strongest or best adapted species will decide the rights and liberties of lesser species. This is why we need a civilization. A State.

Without the State to protect the liberties, those who already own lands and ressources will be stronger and outcompete the weak, leaving the weak with little to no other options than becoming indebted to their benefactors. This is a humiliating and liberty-depriving situation.

A State should protect anyone from harm from others and also open the possibilities for as many people as possible to make their own way of life to pursue their own happiness.

This is why states offer education, and some welfare states even offer health care partly or wholly financed through taxes, so that anyone can have a chance of getting an education, or recieve health care when they get sick.

They limit the economic freedoms to enhance (some) personal freedoms - through heavy taxation.

But this is a small price of economic freedom to ehnance the personal liberty for the (vast) majority.

Welfare Benefits - like unemployment benefits, disability benefits etc. often come with the requirements of work.

At first it might seem "fair" that people work in return for benefits. But the fact is that they are only becoming indebted to the state - the benefactors. The State then decides what job they should take, and how much they should work. Their only alternative is to say "No Thanks" and die of hunger and thirst.

This is not about liberty. Work-requirements is equivalent of slavery. You probably already heard the phrase "wage slavery" - employees working not because the chose to do so to get extra money to sweeten their life, but out of neccessity and thus becoming indedbted to their employers who can do almost anything to them only limited by the state regulations on the labor laws.

This is why I think that to achieve Personal Freedom we need Unconditional Basic Income (UBI), one which is levelled according to the income. This does not mean any citizen gets this UBI, but anyone who don't earn their own money or earn below the limit (whatever that might be - the limit as well as the rate - is beyond this topic) recieve this benefit without the requirement of work.

It may not be high. It should still grant you incentive to get out of the UBI and work for a living. But this time it is on YOUR conditions. Your life - your choice.

It may be that people will start a business of their own. Without the UBI anyone trying to start their own business will have to ask the bank for loans for the project - unless they're born with a silverspoon.

With UBI you take fewer risks with starting your own business. If it fails, you always have the UBI to fall back on.

You will always be guaranteed a minimum income in your own search for Liberty and The Meaning of Life.

Many great minds of science and philosophy either had a huge fortune or were lucky that they had benefactors that allowed them their studies and liberties.

Along with having UBI instead of "workfare"-benefits, we also need to abolish other work-duties - like Conscription.

If you country is threatened by a superpower that is going to enslave you/your people it is equivalent to an oxymoron of enslaving people to the army to avoid... enslavement.

If liberty is truely threatened any able-bodied person will do what it takes to help defend the country - without being forced to it. It also raise the morale of the soldiers to have their freedom - and fight for it rather than fighting because of threat of punishment from their own state.

---

I hope you enjoy reading this "Treatise" - small whatever it may be, and it could probably do better, but I hope to get the premises right and get some useful response.
Have you read much by John Locke?

He would most certainly agree with you about all this.

I think Aristotle would agree too, since he states that some lives are not worth living, such as that of an abused slave.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Logician wrote: January 12th, 2019, 1:10 pm Hi everyone. This is my very first post on this forum, so please bear with me. Thanks.

-----------

Why Liberty

Types of Liberties

How to achieve Liberty

---

I don't believe that either Aristotle or Locke would agree with you about the anarchy part.

Anarchy just creates a jungle of violence.

Much resources and time must then be wasted on maintaining personal safety.

Therefore anarchy is inefficient and massively so.

Therefore your anarchy would lead to political entropy and your political system would be undermined by clans and tribes uniting to defeat the anarchy.

And then you would simply be back on page one with government of the people by the people for the people.

Q.E.D.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Human's most basic needs, prioritized:

1 - oxygen

2 - warmth

3 - shelter

4 - water

5 - sleep

6 - food

7 - safety

8 - purposefulness

9 - resources

10 - companionship

11 - stable government.
Logician
New Trial Member

Post by Logician »

h_k_s wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm I don't believe that either Aristotle or Locke would agree with you about the anarchy part.

Therefore your anarchy would lead to political entropy and your political system would be undermined by clans and tribes uniting to defeat the anarchy.

And then you would simply be back on page one with government of the people by the people for the people.

Q.E.D.
I never defended anarchy, quite the contrary.
I explicitly stated that:
In other words: I said anarchy is bad, and anarchy is not freedom.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Ok I see. Guess I read that too fast.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

h_k_s wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:29 pm Human's most basic needs, prioritized:

1 - oxygen

2 - warmth

3 - shelter

4 - water

5 - sleep

6 - food

7 - safety

8 - purposefulness

9 - resources

10 - companionship

11 - stable government.
What? No sex and exercise?
"As usual... it depends."
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

LuckyR wrote: January 15th, 2019, 5:17 am
h_k_s wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:29 pm Human's most basic needs, prioritized:

1 - oxygen

2 - warmth

3 - shelter

4 - water

5 - sleep

6 - food

7 - safety

8 - purposefulness

9 - resources

10 - companionship

11 - stable government.
What? No sex and exercise?
Good point.

But you don't need exercise or sex to live.

Exercise helps and it makes you a better hunter. But look at all the couch-potato Millennial nerds that don't exercise at all -- just play video games in their virtual worlds.

And sex is an act driven by lust. If you can corral a female (or member of the opposite sex -- heck these days trans and same-sex sex is also quite common) then you can have sex. But it is mostly a diversion from the more important things like the 11 items listed supra.

Of course Mother Nature always gets her way with males and females of all species.

But still, a good point.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The restraint to avoid all of the snarky double entendres really taxed my resources...
"As usual... it depends."
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

h_k_s wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm I don't believe that either Aristotle or Locke would agree with you about the anarchy part.
Q.E.D.
I don't want to stray from the original topic too much, but I think that you are describing democracy here....
In an anarchistic situation there is no state, after all. And in democracy, people to support electable leaders.

Anarchy is something that I think you don't really understand, to be completely honest.
I will explain my position.

Personally, I have always felt the weight of our system pressing down on society. Given the fact that a system is always a representation of reality created by one or more humans, that same system is also limited by the understanding of said human(s). Therefore, in any system, in order to function properly, one must follow those limitations, or be deemed incorrect, stupid or crazy when knowing better. In this way all systems limit themselves and all beings in it; changing the normal order where the best and brightest would shine. The shortcomings normally can be overthrown by decades of hard work, but we all know that there are always more things to learn, therefore any system will always hold down the best and brightest. Typically systems also hold down the dumbest, so mediocre people are promoted. Which is strange.

I think formally speaking, anarchy can be viewed in different perspectives or scales. Capitalism can be seen as an economic anarchy, the old American frontier as a legal anarchy and polygamy as a social anarchy, for example. The question is to what scale and in what form anarchy is present, to determine if it is wanted or not. In nature, there is already some order and the human order is created especially to change the order that is forced upon us by nature. From that perspective, I think Pjotr Kropotkin is quite right in his thought that there is order in nature and anarchy in social structures (he is a Siberian philosopher and biologist). He uses the example of wolves. When packs meet eachother in the wild, there are rules of engagement, while inside the pack, the wolves fight deadly fights over social ranking. Inside the system, there is anarchy. Outside of it, there is order.

Ok, apologies if I deviated too much from the topic. If someone wants to discuss this further, maybe we should open a new topic?
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Arjen wrote: January 21st, 2019, 4:36 am
Q.E.D.
I don't want to stray from the original topic too much, but I think that you are describing democracy here....
In an anarchistic situation there is no state, after all. And in democracy, people to support electable leaders.

Anarchy is something that I think you don't really understand, to be completely honest.
I will explain my position.

Personally, I have always felt the weight of our system pressing down on society. Given the fact that a system is always a representation of reality created by one or more humans, that same system is also limited by the understanding of said human(s). Therefore, in any system, in order to function properly, one must follow those limitations, or be deemed incorrect, stupid or crazy when knowing better. In this way all systems limit themselves and all beings in it; changing the normal order where the best and brightest would shine. The shortcomings normally can be overthrown by decades of hard work, but we all know that there are always more things to learn, therefore any system will always hold down the best and brightest. Typically systems also hold down the dumbest, so mediocre people are promoted. Which is strange.

I think formally speaking, anarchy can be viewed in different perspectives or scales. Capitalism can be seen as an economic anarchy, the old American frontier as a legal anarchy and polygamy as a social anarchy, for example. The question is to what scale and in what form anarchy is present, to determine if it is wanted or not. In nature, there is already some order and the human order is created especially to change the order that is forced upon us by nature. From that perspective, I think Pjotr Kropotkin is quite right in his thought that there is order in nature and anarchy in social structures (he is a Siberian philosopher and biologist). He uses the example of wolves. When packs meet eachother in the wild, there are rules of engagement, while inside the pack, the wolves fight deadly fights over social ranking. Inside the system, there is anarchy. Outside of it, there is order.

Ok, apologies if I deviated too much from the topic. If someone wants to discuss this further, maybe we should open a new topic?
Anarchy is anarchy. It is a Greek word that means no ruler. In other words, there is no ruler. Chaos rules.

Anarchy can never last long because people will unite and form some kind of government or else a warlord will evolve and force it upon them. Either way anarchy dies. Anarchy is unstable.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

h_k_s wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 12:59 pm Anarchy is anarchy. It is a Greek word that means no ruler. In other words, there is no ruler. Chaos rules.

Anarchy can never last long because people will unite and form some kind of government or else a warlord will evolve and force it upon them. Either way anarchy dies. Anarchy is unstable.
I understand how the word was formed and used, but I am suggesting that it was made up due to a fundamental misunderstanding of what it referred to.
There are many examples of people uniting without a ruler. I especially liked Owen's Home Colonies. It is about shareholders that own a piece of land and work together to be self-supporting. Anyway, let us not go offtopic any further.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Arjen wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 4:13 pm
h_k_s wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 12:59 pm Anarchy is anarchy. It is a Greek word that means no ruler. In other words, there is no ruler. Chaos rules.

I understand how the word was formed and used, but I am suggesting that it was made up due to a fundamental misunderstanding of what it referred to.
There are many examples of people uniting without a ruler. I especially liked Owen's Home Colonies. It is about shareholders that own a piece of land and work together to be self-supporting. Anyway, let us not go offtopic any further.
Shareholders are a democracy. They vote. That's not anarchy.

You are mis-defining the issue and as such defining it away.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

h_k_s wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 11:38 pm Shareholders are a democracy. They vote. That's not anarchy.

I am not.
It is a internationally accepted example of anarchism. The absence of a governing body makes it that. Everyone just discusses issues at hand, coming together to help each other at times and at other times are forced to solve things alone. It is without shape and form, making it anarchy.

Anyway, let's go back to the original topic.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Arjen wrote: January 24th, 2019, 4:12 am
h_k_s wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 11:38 pm Shareholders are a democracy. They vote. That's not anarchy.

I am not.
It is a internationally accepted example of anarchism. The absence of a governing body makes it that. Everyone just discusses issues at hand, coming together to help each other at times and at other times are forced to solve things alone. It is without shape and form, making it anarchy.

Anyway, let's go back to the original topic.
Populorum fallacy = "internationally accepted". These ghosts are just ghosts.

In philosophy you must use deduction, induction, rational thought, and thinking. Not ghosts.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream