U S Support on Hongkong in Turmoil

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
gad-fly

U S Support on Hongkong in Turmoil

Post by gad-fly »

What impact U. S. support can have on Hong Kong in its present turmoil? Protesters in the Liberation Movement can be seen openly celebrating the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act signed into law, with such placards as "President Trump, please liberate Hong Kong." Other residents longing for the return of law and order would be less enthusiastic, fearing that such support may heighten and prolong the turmoil instead.

In the jacket of 'Diplomacy', "Kissinger shows how Americans, from the very beginning, sought a distinctive foreign policy based on idealism." Is Congress passing the act also based on idealism? Between self-interest and idealism, I think it is substantially based on idealism, if not very much so. If I was American, I would be proud.

Does Great Britain have any obligation to follow suit with some moral equivalent of the Act? No stirring can be sensed on the horizon. Some may argue that the present British Government should show more concern on its ex-colony, the sovereignty of which has been signed away in the Joint Declaration to China. Perhaps Hong Kong must wait until Brexit is resolved.
Steve3007

Re: U S Support on Hongkong in Turmoil

Post by Steve3007 »

gad-fly wrote:Does Great Britain have any obligation to follow suit with some moral equivalent of the Act?
I think more in terms of practical efficacy and realpolitik than obligation. i.e. what can actually be achieved? As such, in the specific case of Hong Kong, I don't think condemnations from the ex colonial master are of much use, given the historical reasons why Britain chose to be the colonial master in the first place (drug pushing). Such condemnations can too easily be portrayed as the old colonialists lamenting the loss of their empire. I think there's more potential traction if the judgements come from a country which can spin a narrative of having thrown off the yoke of imperialism itself.

Also, the UK by itself is a small country with limited economic and military powers of persuasion. And we decided, by a slim majority, in 2016, that being in a union and thereby magnifying that power was not for us.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Perhaps Hong Kong must wait until Brexit is resolved.
As a small country with limited economic powers of persuasion, which now has the task of re-negotiating trade agreements that we decided to discard by leaving the EU, I doubt whether we will have the luxury of being able to try to influence the internal behaviour of a large country like China.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

I refer to obligation like: if you owe me, you have an obligation to pay me back. Can you now afford to or not? That is not the issue, or rather, it is another question.

After signing the Joint Declaration, Great Britain has more obligation than any other country in the world community, where the Joint Declaration has been registered, not just between two countries. Small size is no excuse. Influence is not necessarily proportional to size. Showing obligation may not influence development. Fine. I believe the two U S laws on Hongkong can serve no more than moral support, but the U S has served a good example. The world cannot be ruled by the laws of the jungle.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

It appears not that many are proud of being American. Some, like the N B A, must have reason to stay on the sideline. If you are an American there, don't be surprised if you are invited to lead one of those protest marches, with the Stars and Stripes in tow, together with the banner of "Thank you, America". Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I am not qualified, with the added reason that I am sensitive to tear-gas.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Gad-fly- I question the notion of national pride per se. Come to think of it, I question the notion of pride. We are all just small parts of much larger things - communities, regions, countries, continents, a species, phylum and genus ... the Earth and Sun ...

Certainly those in the Anglosphere who love rational thought are dismayed with the current tendency towards what is looking like an authoritarian theocracy. Then we look at China, which is at least rational, but to the point of ruthless control, and it looks at least as bad.

So, we in the west are increasingly sandwiched between a rock and a hard place. All we can do is hope that our politicians will eventually put the same effort into strategising and organising the long-term wellbeing of their countries as they put into short-term politicking. Sadly, I suspect that democracy will have to die for that to happen. Politicians have found that greatest political success comes, not from sound policy, but from being in perennial election mode, only planning in three or four year stretches.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

dictionary: pride is a feeling of honor and self-respect. It is not arrogance, self-aggrandizement, or exclusive rejection. Pride is feeling good. Don't you like to feel good? But let us stay focused on the present issue: Hongkong in Turmoil. Let us move away from comparing China with other regimes. Let us focus on the present plight of the people in Hongkong. American pride is only a sideline, which perhaps I should not mention in the first place as it can be distracting. Should the rest of the world does more, or less, than what Congress has done? Should it show moral or physical support, sympathy, understanding, or the simple charity of funding victims in the struggle, like the girl blinded in the eye fearing of arrest if she goes to hospital?

I have heard it said: The only good German is a dead German. I hope not: The only peaceful Hongkong is a muffled Hongkong.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

What you say looks more like politics than philosophy to me.

People are suffering. People are suffering in so many places in so many ways it's impossible to comprehend its reality. With all due respect, what is special about the struggles of those in Hong Kong as compared with those Syria, Yemen, Zambia, Venezuela, Niger, Sudan, Cambodia, Haiti, Somalia, Maldives, Tuvalu ... and are a million people being kept in camps in northern China?

Each would be worthy of a thread, and are also worthy of sympathy, given their existential threats. There's too many people, making for a troubled world and it seems to me that what can be done about HK's woes is being done. However, China knows it is more powerful than any but the US.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Agreed, Greta. What I say is philosophy of politics, or rather, analytical thoughts on politics, which I am glad to share with you.

What is so special about Hongkong? Like Syria, etc., each case is special in its own specific manner. It is possible to comprehend its reality if you try hard enough. If not, just skip it, or drop it to the bottom of your priority list. Too many people, too many cases? That is not an excuse. China being the most powerful after the US? So what? You call the thoughts in your head, and you do what you deem fit. Nothing more can be done about Hongkong? Fine. You may stay and listen more, or you may take a break. You are always welcomed.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes Gad-Fly, too many cases is absolutely an excuse. I - like pretty well everyone else - only have so much sympathy and support to give, and mostly I have to reserve that for those closest to me.

I have at least as much (or little) sympathy for the non-human lives being decimated - and there are too many tragedies going on in the wild and in inhumane feedlots to comprehend too. Dismissive human attitudes towards other species disturb me. I find such attitudes directly reflect of how they feel about other people whom they deem to be "lesser".

The world is filled with unimaginable amounts of tragedy (and much joy too, though far less).

Pick your cause/s.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Greta, You reserve sympathy for those close to you? Me too.

This past weekend has seen, with police violence, protest rally of 800,000, more than 10% of the population. Among them is held the hand of a 5-year boy, and a carried baby of 9 months. These parents must be crazy. They were not there to impress me, but I cannot help being moved. The least I can do is to give moral support to their courage of conviction. Isn't that sympathy I can afford?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sure. That is your priority, and a completely understandable one.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Many I come across would ask: When will it end? It would be easier for them to ignore the turmoil. Otherwise, they would be forced into the position of explaining why it should come in the first place. Why, after nearly seven months and entering into another year, should the protest still be going strong? With the Extradition Bill gone, what more do the protesters want? Some may go deeper, to look for the root cause.

At the same time, why should you bother about what happens in Hongkong, when more people died in a day protesting in India, Iraq, or Syria? But it is not the body count that matters. It is not that Hongkong is a first-class world city, or that seven months is too long. It is that the struggle is not for material gain, like fuel cost, food price, taxation, or discrimination. The struggle is for LIBERATION, one that is most difficult to satisfy. It attracts support from those who believe: I am not free until you are free.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream