How does a regime remaining Communist in China survive after the collapse of the USSR? sruvive

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
LuckyR

Re: How does a regime remaining Communist in China survive after the collapse of the USSR? sruvive

Post by LuckyR »

h_k_s wrote: February 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm
LuckyR wrote: February 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm

An overly pejorative and jingoisticly styled commentary.

Though there is a kernel of truth in there as the Asian culture puts a relative value on societal (vs individual) benefit higher than the European culture (Russia) which is higher than the North American culture.
I have found from my studies that Native American philosophy put the highest value on individual freedom.

It is possible perhaps that the American Colonial "Founding Fathers" gained some of their appreciation for individual freedom from the Native Americans.

John Locke is the philosopher who had the greatest influence on the Colonial Americans however.

And the Asians had no semblance of a John Locke. They only had Confucius and Buddha.
While true enough, it is my suspicion that cultural observations have a cultural (as opposed to philosophical) source.
"As usual... it depends."
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Re: How does a regime remaining Communist in China survive after the collapse of the USSR? sruvive

Post by h_k_s »

LuckyR wrote: February 7th, 2020, 4:43 pm
h_k_s wrote: February 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm

I have found from my studies that Native American philosophy put the highest value on individual freedom.

It is possible perhaps that the American Colonial "Founding Fathers" gained some of their appreciation for individual freedom from the Native Americans.

John Locke is the philosopher who had the greatest influence on the Colonial Americans however.

And the Asians had no semblance of a John Locke. They only had Confucius and Buddha.
While true enough, it is my suspicion that cultural observations have a cultural (as opposed to philosophical) source.
The only Asians that appreciate American values which are derived from America philosophy, which is mostly Locke-ian, are the Japanese and the South Koreans. And that's only due to their exposure to the U.S. Army and Douglas MacArthur.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: January 30th, 2020, 11:57 am Why is the Communist regime in China still going strong so long after the implosion of the U.S.S.R., which was the predominant power in communism?
You are confusing a word with reality. You might as well ask since they are still both "democracies" why are they so different?
Neither Russia, nor China followed the principles of communism. Rather than put the means of production in the hands of the people it was taken into the hands of the state. That is not communism, but state-capitalism.
Bother Russia and China have changed, but since they were never quite the same, it matter very little that one calls itself communist whilst the other no longer does.
Where they remain the same is that they have both kept most of the power in the hands of the state, and whilst "democracy" is still used as a word to describe themselves as in fact they already did under "communism", neither has a mature democracy.

Consider a country that offers elections to its people, yet every year the same people are in power. The faces might change but the people who hold all the cards never change. That is true in China and in Russia.
But, wait... Surely this is also true in the USA? The people have no power. Trump and people like him have always been in power. The only difference now is that one of them has an office. The real reason the establishment don't like Trump is that he is too **** obviously a merchant of power, but now the mask has fallen away.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

h_k_s wrote: February 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm I have found from my studies that Native American philosophy put the highest value on individual freedom.
Which nation(s)? I have not noticed that. In fact, I have not noticed anything like a hierarchy of values; rather a horizontal melting of one thing into another. Community responsibility is certainly emphasized in many native value systems; respect for and attention to the elders, keeping one's word, doing one's share and regard for the environment. Yes, I see a strong thread of personal identity and individual relationship to the natural/spiritual (there is no hard line between the two), but I see an equally strong thread of obligation.
I sincerely doubt that. The natives may have helped them survive, but were never given any credit whatever for ideas. The settlers got all their ideas from white men who lived in Europe and published wordy treatises.
Lucky R -- While true enough, it is my suspicion that cultural observations have a cultural (as opposed to philosophical) source.
All cultural beliefs and practices have a philosophical bases - even if the philosophy is not published in wordy treatises.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Alias wrote: February 8th, 2020, 1:29 am
Lucky R -- While true enough, it is my suspicion that cultural observations have a cultural (as opposed to philosophical) source.
All cultural beliefs and practices have a philosophical bases - even if the philosophy is not published in wordy treatises.
Ok, but could the philosophy be a post hoc explanation of the existing culture?
"As usual... it depends."
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

LuckyR wrote: February 8th, 2020, 3:36 am [All cultural beliefs and practices have a philosophical bases - even if the philosophy is not published in wordy treatises.]

Ok, but could the philosophy be a post hoc explanation of the existing culture?
It's always both. There was once a shared world-view that was part of the way a people lived and developed, that infused their mythology, informed their language, social organization and customs. Over time, that world-view was influenced by contacts with the outside, in the form of trade and intermarriage, and impacted more traumatically by wars and conquests. So, there is a philosophy - or more accurately, a philosophical thread - that runs deep in the culture. There are also layers of post-hoc justification, rationalization, by regimes that got power through armed force. What's interesting is that the victorious empire - be it Assyrian, Roman, Mongol or English - while attempting to superimpose its own iconography and morality on the existing belief-system, also takes away some aspects of the subject people's culture.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 5:54 pm
gad-fly wrote: January 30th, 2020, 11:57 am Why is the Communist regime in China still going strong so long after the implosion of the U.S.S.R., which was the predominant power in communism?
You might as well ask since they are still both "democracies" why are they so different?
Does a term like communism and democracy matter when a regime applies that to call itself. Yes and No. On the one hand, you are what you are despite whatever adjective you apply to describe yourself. In this respect, a term serving no influence may as well be skipped, since action speaks louder than words. On the other hand, a term would arouse expectation of performance. The ensuing satisfaction or disappointment may be crucial to a regime's survival, when peer comparison can be made.

The regime change in USSR/Russia is loud and clear for all to see. The country's name change is accompanied by political and ideological change, away from soviet republics. One important lesson: a regime must give some semblance of what it really is before it can hope to be accepted by its own people and by the world.

China, on the other hand, has not undergone regime change. It has undergone drastic transformation and reinvention to survive the storm, but such cannot be fully and openly acknowledged without justifying the need for regime change. Hence it musts still call itself communist.

One crucial factor on the different outcome of USSR and Communist China is what I would call "The tail wagging the dog." The Communist bloc, with East European satellites, the Warsaw pact, Latin American revolution, and China's competition for leadership, was too heavy a burden to carry. The USSR can be said to be "too large not to collapse". It it not the first. The British Empire is its predecessor. One distinct feature of such collapse is that it would implode rather than explode.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: February 15th, 2020, 4:48 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 5:54 pm

You might as well ask since they are still both "democracies" why are they so different?
Does a term like communism and democracy matter when a regime applies that to call itself. Yes and No. On the one hand, you are what you are despite whatever adjective you apply to describe yourself. In this respect, a term serving no influence may as well be skipped, since action speaks louder than words. On the other hand, a term would arouse expectation of performance. The ensuing satisfaction or disappointment may be crucial to a regime's survival, when peer comparison can be made.

The regime change in USSR/Russia is loud and clear for all to see. The country's name change is accompanied by political and ideological change, away from soviet republics. One important lesson: a regime must give some semblance of what it really is before it can hope to be accepted by its own people and by the world.

China, on the other hand, has not undergone regime change. It has undergone drastic transformation and reinvention to survive the storm, but such cannot be fully and openly acknowledged without justifying the need for regime change. Hence it musts still call itself communist.

One crucial factor on the different outcome of USSR and Communist China is what I would call "The tail wagging the dog." The Communist bloc, with East European satellites, the Warsaw pact, Latin American revolution, and China's competition for leadership, was too heavy a burden to carry.
If you already think you know the answer it begs the question, why did you start the thread in the first place?
Was it just to express your own unique brand of prejudice, and reflect what you have been indoctrinated to think by your own media?
The USSR can be said to be "too large not to collapse". It it not the first. The British Empire is its predecessor. One distinct feature of such collapse is that it would implode rather than explode.
Confused comment.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:39 pm
If you already think you know the answer it begs the question, why did you start the thread in the first place?
Was it just to express your own unique brand of prejudice, and reflect what you have been indoctrinated to think by your own media?

I have thought about and studied some idea beforehand. I do not come unprepared and empty-handed. I may think mine is a good idea, but I want to know whether there are parallel ideas, some of which, including yours, may be better than mine. I am not here to preach, I want to be educated, informed, and benefited from people like you, through this helpful forum. I hope I am not asking too much.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:02 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:39 pm
You might want to start by realising the neither China nor Russia were in any sense communist, and so neither retain anything which now still is.
The fact that they have both changed in the last 40 years is true, but since they both started from different places and have much more interesting cultural traditions they pre-date any form of modern politics, I think you might find your answer to their differences through deep history and anthropological questions.
Caricaturing them as both "communist" says almost nothing at all.
A single word even if applied accurately does not sum up two of the largest and oldest cultures on earth.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:34 am You might want to start by realising the neither China nor Russia were in any sense communist, and so neither retain anything which now still is.
The fact that they have both changed in the last 40 years is true, but since they both started from different places and have much more interesting cultural traditions they pre-date any form of modern politics, I think you might find your answer to their differences through deep history and anthropological questions.
A single word even if applied accurately does not sum up two of the largest and oldest cultures on earth.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am inclined not to categorically deny both the past USSR and the present-day China as Communist. As an ideology, Communism has evolved from its Marxist beginning and organically developed like a tree with branches each competing for nutrient and living space. One branch will usually be recognized as the trunk or mainstream. Some branch may be truncated or die naturally. For example, revisionism cannot be denied as communism. Gorbachev's reform could have been mainstream had it survived.

Communism is not a culture. It is an ideology struggling to dominate a regime. A culture would survive long after a regime is gone. While it last, a regime would adapt to a culture. To a minor extent, vice versa. Hence the difference between present-day Cuba, China, and Vietnam.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: February 16th, 2020, 11:04 am
Sculptor1 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:34 am You might want to start by realising the neither China nor Russia were in any sense communist, and so neither retain anything which now still is.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am inclined not to categorically deny both the past USSR and the present-day China as Communist. As an ideology, Communism has evolved from its Marxist beginning and organically developed like a tree with branches each competing for nutrient and living space. One branch will usually be recognized as the trunk or mainstream. Some branch may be truncated or die naturally. For example, revisionism cannot be denied as communism. Gorbachev's reform could have been mainstream had it survived.
How picturesque of you, but no. Even ideologies have defining characteristics.

Communism is not a culture. It is an ideology struggling to dominate a regime.
A culture would survive long after a regime is gone. While it last, a regime would adapt to a culture. To a minor extent, vice versa. Hence the difference between present-day Cuba, China, and Vietnam.
It's like you can't read.
I've not so much as suggested that Communism is a culture. I suggested that you shall understand the differences between the changes in China and Russia due to culture.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sculptor1 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 1:07 pm Even ideologies have defining characteristics.

Of course. A wolf in sheep skin is still a wolf. How can one claim to be a Marxist if his ideology cannot be traced to Marx? He can say what Marx has not said, he can modify what Marx has left ambiguous, and he can even override what he considers no longer appropriate, as in revisionism, but he must stick to the basic tenet. If not, he may as well find a new term to describe himself. It is a moot point whether Communist China has departed from that basic tenet. The least I can say is that they have not openly claimed to depart from it. I cannot rule out that they are doing it now by hook or by crook. I would give them the benefit of the doubt, and so would so many Chinese visitors I have come across, perhaps by force of circumstance, which I am not about to speculate.

I suggested that you shall understand the differences between the changes in China and Russia due to culture.
Thanks for you suggestion. Be assured that I do. Not only that, but it is fundamental for any contemporary student of politics to appreciate the crucial influence that culture plays in the rooting and growth of any ideology, including Communism, before and after its demise.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream