Distancing in the Pandemic on the Global Village

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
LuckyR

Re: Distancing in the Pandemic on the Global Village

Post by LuckyR »

gad-fly wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 2:27 pm This pandemic affecting rich and poor alike may be a Wake-Up Call, and hence a saving race. There is only one global village. If Distancing serves to decentralize the globe, the pandemic may be a blessing in disguise. Depopulation and de-growth will be the heard call.
Distancing is going to ramp up the birth rate, by my expectation. I am anticipating a baby boomlet in about 9 months.
"As usual... it depends."
NukeBan

Post by NukeBan »

The only question is whether the remainder will be headed to the stars or brandishing stone clubs.
I don't know the answer of course, just speculating like everyone else. To me, the evidence suggests we will be making many more trips to stone club land before we get technological civilization right. Assuming we don't go extinct, which I'm willing to do, then ok, maybe someday the stars.

What I see is that the knowledge explosion is rapidly accelerating while human judgment inches forward at best. Thus, the gap between power and maturity ever widens. We are ever more like the 8 year boy who just got a submachine gun for his birthday.

The Roman Empire crashed and it took a thousand years for progress to resume. If we are willing to assume that this pattern may repeat itself many times over thousands of years, it could eventually lead to a more stable success.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

NukeBan wrote: May 4th, 2020, 5:32 am
The only question is whether the remainder will be headed to the stars or brandishing stone clubs.
I don't know the answer of course, just speculating like everyone else. To me, the evidence suggests we will be making many more trips to stone club land before we get technological civilization right. Assuming we don't go extinct, which I'm willing to do, then ok, maybe someday the stars.

What I see is that the knowledge explosion is rapidly accelerating while human judgment inches forward at best. Thus, the gap between power and maturity ever widens. We are ever more like the 8 year boy who just got a submachine gun for his birthday.

The Roman Empire crashed and it took a thousand years for progress to resume. If we are willing to assume that this pattern may repeat itself many times over thousands of years, it could eventually lead to a more stable success.
I think technology is the key difference this time. I see stars for the few and stone clubs for the many, just as the few today are breaking sports records, making more discoveries and achieving ever greater technical proficiency in the popular arts while the many are becoming more unfit, more ideologically fixed and ever less educated and curious.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Are we talking about the impact of distancing, as introduced by the pandemic, on the future of mankind? Let us bring the matter into perspective. The pandemic will be history, given at most a year or so, but how enduring and intensive will its impact be? A doomsday scenario can be frightening, but remote. Nor would we be back to the good old days soon enough. Shouldn't we focus on what we can and should learn at this stage, lest we miss learning our lesson before it is too late?

Let me say as a student of history: History has no obligation to give us a second chance.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Clearly we are speaking of the future of mankind :)

What can we learn about this? We have China resisting an independent investigation, with the wet markets back in business. We have a POTUS intent on blame-shifting to cover for his month of complacency. Meanwhile, we know that China shut its internal borders while still allowing people to fly to other parts of the world. What does that say to the rest of the world about how China sees them?

Ultimately there are too many people on the planet. Notice nature's hint that we live too closely together? We are not evolved for this "sardine" lifestyle, so imbalances are inevitable, especially when China insists on allowing wet markets to continue. It will only be a matter of time before there is another. We have learned nothing because, until China behaves responsibly and shuts down its wet markets - or at least the wildlife component - there is nothing anyone can do about the future but watch it unfold.
NukeBan

Post by NukeBan »

I recently watched a documentary on Amazon Prime which made clear that a key pathway for viruses is wildlife => animal farming => humans. What seems to have been completely ignored in all the endless discussion of the pandemic is that we could go a long way towards protecting ourselves just by becoming vegetarians. This would have other big benefits, for example, animal farming is a big source of global warming.

What was weird was that even in the documentary where they were showing in great detail how viruses travel from wildlife to farm animals to us, no one ever suggested vegetarianism as a potential partial solution. It seemed to be assumed without questioning that we're going to keep eating meat no matter what, even if it kills us, destroys the economy, destroys the climate, no matter what.

I want my burger!!!!!! And I want it now!!! Period!!!! :-)
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

NukeBan wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:11 pm I recently watched a documentary on Amazon Prime which made clear that a key pathway for viruses is wildlife => animal farming => humans. What seems to have been completely ignored in all the endless discussion of the pandemic is that we could go a long way towards protecting ourselves just by becoming vegetarians. This would have other big benefits, for example, animal farming is a big source of global warming.
Your insight from pandemic to vegetarianism is inspiring. Let me incite the Law of Unintended Consequence. The concept of social distancing as a health concern may have lasting impact on our life-style. Socially, keeping distance would be seen less as anti-social. It is cool to be cool. But I shall leave someone else to dwell on that.

I am more concerned about the impact of distancing on our wallet. If distancing makes food more expensive, the world has no choice but to eat more vegetable than meat. The practice to switch from meat to vegetable may start as an excuse to cover-up, like taking fast food in stead of fine dining because fast is better. Eating vegetable is better for our environment? That too, coincidentally or subconsciously. Once kick-started to pass the critical mass, vegetarianism as a trend may become unstoppable, when the pandemic is but a distant memory.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

gad-fly wrote: May 5th, 2020, 11:28 am
NukeBan wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:11 pm I recently watched a documentary on Amazon Prime which made clear that a key pathway for viruses is wildlife => animal farming => humans. What seems to have been completely ignored in all the endless discussion of the pandemic is that we could go a long way towards protecting ourselves just by becoming vegetarians. This would have other big benefits, for example, animal farming is a big source of global warming.
If distancing makes food more expensive, the world has no choice but to eat more vegetable than meat.
Maybe I am getting old and have watched countless such hopes dashed time and time again. When every hope and ideal you ever held for the world for over half a century has not only been dashed, but smashed, you start seeing how things work.

So I see the most likely outcome of economic hardship is the collapse of expensive organic farmers, resulting in a much greater concentration on factory farming, with ever more harsh conditions as the producers/torturers struggle to cut costs.

It is difficult to see much in this world improving until the human population has decreased significantly, since that is the cause of most problems.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Greta wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:05 pm So I see the most likely outcome of economic hardship is the collapse of expensive organic farmers, resulting in a much greater concentration on factory farming, with ever more harsh conditions as the producers/torturers struggle to cut costs.
Be that as it may, one would consume less when one has less in one's pocket. I can recollect that, in the old days, we used to savor steak once a month or so, and you know why? Vegetable may not be as tasty as meat, but taste can change to follow affordability, ethics, public pressure, and so on. Shark's Fin is an example. Factory farming, like everything else, has to go with the time. The Law of Unintended Consequence may work in your favor.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

gad-fly wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:48 pm
Greta wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:05 pm So I see the most likely outcome of economic hardship is the collapse of expensive organic farmers, resulting in a much greater concentration on factory farming, with ever more harsh conditions as the producers/torturers struggle to cut costs.
Be that as it may, one would consume less when one has less in one's pocket. I can recollect that, in the old days, we used to savor steak once a month or so, and you know why? Vegetable may not be as tasty as meat, but taste can change to follow affordability, ethics, public pressure, and so on. Shark's Fin is an example. Factory farming, like everything else, has to go with the time. The Law of Unintended Consequence may work in your favor.
You are right that that will counterbalance the likely increased rationalisation of animal welfare in farming.

Still, veggies will become more expensive too as arable land degrades due to climate change.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Greta wrote: May 5th, 2020, 11:20 pm
gad-fly wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:48 pm

You are right that that will counterbalance the likely increased rationalisation of animal welfare in farming.

Still, veggies will become more expensive too as arable land degrades due to climate change.
It takes about 8 kilograms of grain to produce one kilogram of beef. Similar though smaller multiplier applies to pork and chicken. If human beings are grain-fed, reduction in the size of farmland for grain alone would be astounding, let alone the area for livestock. Whether veggies will be more expensive is another question, but Vegetarianism almost looks like the proverbial magic bullet.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

gad-fly wrote: May 6th, 2020, 11:07 am
Greta wrote: May 5th, 2020, 11:20 pm

It takes about 8 kilograms of grain to produce one kilogram of beef. Similar though smaller multiplier applies to pork and chicken. If human beings are grain-fed, reduction in the size of farmland for grain alone would be astounding, let alone the area for livestock. Whether veggies will be more expensive is another question, but Vegetarianism almost looks like the proverbial magic bullet.
I see no way around the considerable resistance in the community towards vegetarianism. Even today it can be difficult to find vegetarian option in food stores. In fact, meat eating is increasing around the world. At least it looks like that trend will now be reversed.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Greta wrote: May 6th, 2020, 6:40 pm
gad-fly wrote: May 6th, 2020, 11:07 am

I see no way around the considerable resistance in the community towards vegetarianism. Even today it can be difficult to find vegetarian option in food stores. In fact, meat eating is increasing around the world. At least it looks like that trend will now be reversed.
You mean it will"not" be reversed? You may be right. Take an example, If you are wealthy enough, you buy a car, and you will cycle less. If you are not wealthy enough, you buy a bicycle, and you walk less. But if you are poor, you walk. I have seen this happening in my generation.

But more. Nowadays people with fanciful cars walk for the heck of it. Why? Crazy, isn't it? They walk up the stairs when they can take the lift or escalator. This can happen between tasty meat and and bland vegetable too in future, and the fall in living standard brought by distancing following the pandemic may give the trend a kick-start or some wake-up call. Isn't that what we need?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

gad-fly wrote: May 6th, 2020, 10:16 pmIsn't that what we need?
It is better than not, but there's simply far, far too many of us for sustainability. About five times too many, at least. Thus, I see any potential positives at all at this stage as being too little, too late. If we were to handle the coming challenges, we would have needed to have acted on population, climate and resources four decades ago. Alas, the job was too imposing, too difficult, so we opted for "business as usual".

Further, when many of the wealthiest and most politically influential companies in the world are fossil fuel producers, clearly nothing serious was ever going to be done that could jeopardise their profits. As if they would allow that!

I still believe in acting as though there is hope - consuming and disposing of waste carefully - but, realistically, a major extinction event is in train and it will catch up to humans too. Not the billionaires, of course, but regular people.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Greta wrote: May 7th, 2020, 12:09 am
gad-fly wrote: May 6th, 2020, 10:16 pmIsn't that what we need?
It is better than not, but there's simply far, far too many of us for sustainability. About five times too many, at least. Thus, I see any potential positives at all at this stage as being too little, too late. If we were to handle the coming challenges, we would have needed to have acted on population, climate and resources four decades ago. Alas, the job was too imposing, too difficult, so we opted for "business as usual".

Further, when many of the wealthiest and most politically influential companies in the world are fossil fuel producers, clearly nothing serious was ever going to be done that could jeopardise their profits. As if they would allow that!

I still believe in acting as though there is hope - consuming and disposing of waste carefully - but, realistically, a major extinction event is in train and it will catch up to humans too. Not the billionaires, of course, but regular people.
Your phrase "Alas, the job was too imposing, too difficult, so we opted for "business as usual"." misconceives the problem utterly. As if "we" *whoever the F that is), had some sort of choice. There is no authority, no political body, no community able to act on this.

The problem of population is due to the richest countries in the world making all the pollution and GW, and the obsession with the white goods, and shiny things that make us go faster and in more comfort. It is due to the love of family and the joy of children, and the wish to fulfil the expectations of the previous generations to provide children, grandchildren ad nauseam.
Its the fact of acquisition, not only through greed and thoughtlessness, but right down to basic needs. It is also the lack of a pan-human organisation; the valorisation of nationalism, patriotism and a range of other tribalisms that throw humans into competition and conflict, against ourselves and other living things.

Acting to dispose of waste carefully will do nothing. Not making the waste in the first place is the only effective strategy, to do that we need to eat the rich.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream