"Modern Money Basics" in Modern Money Theory (M.M.T.)x

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Steve3007

Re: "Modern Money Basics" in Modern Money Theory (M.M.T.)x

Post by Steve3007 »

Wossname wrote:I believe that share prices can rise as demand for them increases (though something called “market sentiment” is key and demand can reflect this).
Yes, the same as anything else that's for sale. Supply and demand.
I am no expert on the stock market but Max Keiser (RT channel) claims that some institutions and some wealthy individuals sometimes use computer algorithms to buy and sell (he claims to have written such if I recall correctly).
One of my previous jobs was writing software for streaming stock market data to an investment application (called Sharescope). As background for that job (and out of curiosity) I learnt a bit about the mathematics of financial derivatives. It's a large and interesting subject in its own right. But, yes, people design algorithms for calculating when to buy and sell stocks, FX, commodities and a whole host of financial "products" that are derived from those things. Those people are called "Quants". It's a massive industry. Have a look at a jobs website (e.g. JobServe) and search for jobs with "Quant" in the title.
The motive is not so much to support a business, but just to make money. If you buy enough, or sell enough, I believe you can affect the price either way and make money either way too.
Yes, generally speaking, when people trade stocks, the motive is to make money. The question is: when does that activity help the business by allocating money to where it can most efficiently be used? And when does it cause harm? That appears to be a subject of debate. For example, there is debate as to whether "short selling" (essentially, betting that the price of a stock will fall) is helpful or harmful for the process that stock markets were designed for: allocating money to where it can most efficiently be used.

Since you mentioned motive: As a general principle, if the motive is to make money, would you automatically regard that as a bad thing? Suppose I spot that a company is well managed and therefore has the potential to grow. Suppose I then decide to invest in that company on the expectation that the company will grow and that my investment will grow with it. Suppose my investment allows that to happen, and the company thereby grows and employs more people. Isn't that a good thing?
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:08 pm Steve3007 » 35 minutes ago

Since you mentioned motive: As a general principle, if the motive is to make money, would you automatically regard that as a bad thing? Suppose I spot that a company is well managed and therefore has the potential to grow. Suppose I then decide to invest in that company on the expectation that the company will grow and that my investment will grow with it. Suppose my investment allows that to happen, and the company thereby grows and employs more people. Isn't that a good thing?

Given your background I think you probably understand the functioning of stock markets better than I.

In answer to your question, I will say that it is not automatically good to my mind, any more than automatically bad.
I think I would want to know what the company was doing.

Would you agree?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Wossname wrote:Given your background I think you probably understand the functioning of stock markets better than I.
A bit about stock markets because of my past job, yes. But not much about economics in general. I think most of us tend to specialize in specific little areas of individual subjects as the need arises. Unless we're hyper-brainy polymaths!
Would you agree?
Yes, that sounds reasonable to me.

I'll have a crack at the rest of that post of yours later. Now I must make a cake.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Wossname wrote:I believe that share prices can rise as demand for them increases (though something called “market sentiment” is key and demand can reflect this).
Yes, the same as anything else that's for sale. Supply and demand.

Perhaps I know about more economics than the pedestrian, but that is no big deal, be that as it may. It can be said that all market activities are subject to supply and demand, but there is some distinct difference between the stock market and the commodity (or consumer goods) market. The former operates on investment and speculation, with its products in competition with bank products such as time deposits. Unlike cornflakes, such product is sustainable at the same time as it is carried by some degree of uncertainty on price and return. You buy a stock, and you are in, since it is not the end of the story.

I must admit being reluctant to continue on, as I am more concerned about MMT which is what this thread is about.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Wossname wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:08 pm Steve3007 » 35 minutes ago

Given your background I think you probably understand the functioning of stock markets better than I.

The main thing you need to know regarding stock markets and MMT, is that Stock markets are little more than betting shops.
The "value" of companies is abstracted to a point divorced from their working value. A share becomes disconnected with the performance of the company and what becoming important is how it does in the shares market.
Share can be traded and the more they are traded the more their value increases until an invisible bubble invisibly bursts due to a drop in the perceived value. It is as if an invisible horse breaks its leg on the fairway. "Jitters" in the market can mean that a company's value drops to nothing, as people dump their shares. Or it can be artificially inflated as traders over buy.
Manipulation is rife. Buy big and sell out can makes massive profits from nothing the company has done.
This puts millions of jobs at risk.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53402176

Now that there is more and more talk in the news of how the current increase in Covid-19 related public spending will be paid for, I think it's interesting to re-visit this topic. As I understand it, one of the key points made by MMT is that taxes don't pay for public services. They destroy money. So presumably MMT proponents would say that organisations like the UK Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) are talking nonsense when they say that taxes are going to have to rise or spending is going to have to fall?
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Steve3007 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 7:18 am So presumably MMT proponents would say that organisations like the UK Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) are talking nonsense when they say that taxes are going to have to rise or spending is going to have to fall?

Indeed they would. And do.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Wossname wrote:Indeed they would. And do.
Good. I'm glad we're agreed as to what MMT says!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Steve3007 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 7:36 am Steve3007 » 2 minutes ago

Wossname wrote:
Indeed they would. And do.
Good. I'm glad we're agreed as to what MMT says!

A recent post from Professor Murphy:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/202 ... sequences/
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I've briefly read the article once and will read it again more carefully later. My first impression is that it's too full of editorializing, and details of the role of such things as QE, for me to be able to get down to the fundamentals. I prefer fundamentals.

As I've said before, to my simple mind, common sense says that of course taxes pay for public services. I think one way that people lose touch with that common sense is by fixating on the abstract concept of money and forgetting the underlying fundamentals which it represents.

The underlying fundamental here is:

Various people work to create various goods and services. We all consume some goods and services that we didn't directly work to create. I eat food. I'm not a farmer or a grocer. Doctors and nurses eat food. Doctors and nurses aren't farmers or grocers. Farmers and grocers use the services of doctors and nurses. Therefore farmers and grocers swap the products of their labour with those of doctors and nurses via the mechanism of money. If doctors and nurses are not paid directly, then they are paid via the mechanism of taxation and public spending. Therefore taxes pay for public services. I pay taxes to fund the doctors and nurses whose services I use. So do farmers and grocers.

This all seems to me blindingly obvious common sense. But I think it's when all of these fundamentals are forgotten, and only the mechanism of money is remembered, that common sense seems to go out of the window, resulting in people saying things like: taxes don't pay for public services.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

It's ironic that even before the Covid Crisis, Sunak began his career and chancellor in his first budget by adopting Labour's spend to recovery programme, since the last 12 years of Tory failing has not repaired the public finances at all. All the Tories have managed to do is increase the debt whilst putting the brakes on the economy.
What Sunak as done with the COVID crisis is to admit the Tory lie that you cannot spend to help the economy, the lie that has laid waste jobs and prospects of an entire generation, increased inequality and poverty whilst sending billions of pounds overseas into tax havens.
Because right now he is showing that for the last ten years you could have increases spending to improve the infrastructure, the health system and education to prepare the UK for the competitive world market of the future.
Instead we have a demoralised workforce on multiple zero hours contracts, or hidden unemployed, doomed to live in a renters market which is highly exploitative. Thatcher's Victorian values have finally returned when Britain was the richest country in the world with the worst poverty.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Steve3007 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 7:52 am Steve3007 » 11 minutes ago

This all seems to me blindingly obvious common sense. But I think it's when all of these fundamentals are forgotten, and only the mechanism of money is remembered, that common sense seems to go out of the window, resulting in people saying things like: taxes don't pay for public services.

Well we generally believe what the media tell us. Unfortunately the media are wrong. And common sense is wrong because we understand money from the point of view of users of money, not creators of it. But we have been over this.

This is short, and recent from professor Murphy again. Note the argument, there is no such thing as taxpayers’ money. That does not fit with media reports or what you might see as “common sense”.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/202 ... -is-money/

I don’t think we need rehash the arguments though. We have done it to death I think.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 7:56 am Sculptor1 » 10 minutes ago

What Sunak as done with the COVID crisis is to admit the Tory lie that you cannot spend to help the economy, the lie that has laid waste jobs and prospects of an entire generation, increased inequality and poverty whilst sending billions of pounds overseas into tax havens.
Because right now he is showing that for the last ten years you could have increases spending to improve the infrastructure, the health system and education to prepare the UK for the competitive world market of the future.
Instead we have a demoralised workforce on multiple zero hours contracts, or hidden unemployed, doomed to live in a renters market which is highly exploitative. Thatcher's Victorian values have finally returned when Britain was the richest country in the world with the worst poverty.

Spot on in my book.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Steve3007 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 7:52 am I've briefly read the article once and will read it again more carefully later. My first impression is that it's too full of editorializing, and details of the role of such things as QE, for me to be able to get down to the fundamentals. I prefer fundamentals.

As I've said before, to my simple mind, common sense says that of course taxes pay for public services.
No they do not. That was true when the King had to go round stealing silver from the people.
With fiat currency taxes are deleted money.

There is no direct link between tax and spend and the deficit is no indicator of economic health.
Taxes are all about fiscal engineering. Taxes are used to punish and reward different types of economic activity. And about social control.
I think one way that people lose touch with that common sense is by fixating on the abstract concept of money and forgetting the underlying fundamentals which it represents.

The underlying fundamental here is:

Various people work to create various goods and services. We all consume some goods and services that we didn't directly work to create. I eat food. I'm not a farmer or a grocer. Doctors and nurses eat food. Doctors and nurses aren't farmers or grocers. Farmers and grocers use the services of doctors and nurses. Therefore farmers and grocers swap the products of their labour with those of doctors and nurses via the mechanism of money. If doctors and nurses are not paid directly, then they are paid via the mechanism of taxation and public spending. Therefore taxes pay for public services. I pay taxes to fund the doctors and nurses whose services I use. So do farmers and grocers.

Those fundamentals are basically useless.
If I make a pencil for 20p and sell it for 40p, where does the other 20p come from and what is the meaning of value in such a system. If I buy a box for 10p for the 20p pencil, I am now able to sell it as a luxury item for £1.20. This happens every day in every economic context.
If I write a book I can sell the digital version for £10, but my costs are only £0.01. How does any of this make sense?
Money is valueless. And taxes are meaningless. When the government can create £485 billion with a computer mouse; as it has done, in fact since the financial crisis. Tell me what has this got to do with "the mechanism" of money in your context?

Murphy is not saying you do not have to tax. On the contrary - his blog is called Tax Research and his book is The Joy of Tax.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I've read the article a second time now. My first thought is the same as when I read it the first time: I find articles which are full of editorializing, mockery and rhetorical questions annoying because they're just a distraction from the message. If I'm trying use an expert view to help me make up my mind about something, I'd rather they just use their expertise to layout the facts as they see them, rather than using terms like "deficit fetishist" and "Santa Claus" and stuff.

But, anyway, trying to ignore all that and extract what Richard Murphy is saying factually, he seems to say this:

1. The FT overstates public sector net debt because it doesn't factor in QE.

2. It is not true that BoE bond buying can't continue. It has in Japan and this has not created inflation there.

3. "Sustainable footing" means affordability and low borrowing costs make high government borrowing affordable.

4. The economy will not "fire on all cylinders" again unless we adopt the Green New Deal.

5. Tax rises are bad for the economy.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream