Vegetarianism

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Vegetarianism

Post by Sy Borg »

gad-fly wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 11:31 am
Belindi wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 3:13 am
as to the method employed to change eating habits, I agree with you a sudden revolution is not as good as gradual adjustment to less and less flesh eating. There are several strategies such as smaller portions of meat compared with portions of plants. Such as cookery skills directed at getting umami flavour from plants.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/umami
Thanks for introducing Umami, the Meaty Taste, as below:
This fifth basic taste - alongside sweet, sour, salty, and bitter - was named umami, meaning "savoriness" in Japanese.

It is not as good as the real thing. But then, nothing can be as good as the real thing. Perhaps the trouble is with what we are asking for. If I keep thinking about beef when I am eating something competitive in taste, I would be holding beef as the unreachable beacon.

Let us forget about meaty taste for umami. Call it the Cherile Taste, from the word cherish: to feel or show great tenderness or care for.
I buy vegetarian sausages from the local supermarket that not only taste and smell very much like beef sausages, washing up the frypan afterwards is very similar to washing up after cooking meat. I notice this because, many years ago I decided to only eat meat when I was out because I found washing up afterwards distasteful (and I like animals). But ...
poet, Robert Burns wrote:The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
For promis’d joy!
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Greta wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 7:17 pm
gad-fly wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 11:31 am
Let us forget about meaty taste for umami. Call it the Cherile Taste, from the word cherish: to feel or show great tenderness or care for.
I buy vegetarian sausages from the local supermarket that not only taste and smell very much like beef sausages, washing up the frypan afterwards is very similar to washing up after cooking meat. I notice this because, many years ago I decided to only eat meat when I was out because I found washing up afterwards distasteful (and I like animals).
[/quote]

Forget about calling the fifth taste The Meat Tasty, because nothing can beat meat to give the best meaty taste. Change the name from Benz to Lexus. How do you think abut The Cherile Taste or The Chevy Taste, or you do have a better suggestion?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

viewtopic.php?p=358899#p358899
I never got around to properly responding to this. So I'll do so now.
Count Lucanor wrote:First of all, there's no "human population problem". There may be problems with growing human populations, but that's another issue.
It's in another topic, yes. As stated before, there is an average environmental footprint per person problem. The distribution underlying that average is currently very uneven.
Secondly, it may be argued that this myth is not exclusively fed by racism, and I would agree with that. It looks like Paul Ehrlich's book was inspired by some level of racism of which perhaps he was not well aware of, but that only tells about him. But it is indeed a typical prejudice from Western policy advisers against the poor countries.
I don't care about Paul Ehrlich's book. I care about trying to identify problems and proposing potential solutions. I don't care who implements those solutions.
It is interesting to note how natural you find that some part of the world will bring the other up to their standards, implying where decisions are to be made.
I don't care where decisions are made. Obviously I think they should be made by whoever is in a position to make them. (Do you disagree? Do you think they should be made by people who aren't able to make them?). I don't care who they are or where they live.
Secondly, the "standards of affluence" of the developed world are inherent to its standard of exploitation of resources and people, so why would the rest of the world should follow the bad example?
Are you saying that most people in the world would rather be poor than to grow affluent by "exploitation of resources and people"? On what evidence do you see this fundamental difference between the peoples of the world?
About renewable, I totally agree, but the biggest burden there lies on the developed world, not the less affluent.
As I've indicated, I'm not interested in blame games. As I've said, I don't care where decisions are made. They should be made by whoever is in a position to make them. I don't care who they are or where they live.
Vegetarianism? Agriculture production rates have already increased in the last decades. Anyway, as I have stated before, some non-vegetarian food production like cattle farms may be inefficient, but overall, there are plenty of other sources that are not vegetarian and seem to work well. I would say a good balance within an omnivorous diet should be OK.
I'm not fundamentally opposed to an omnivorous diet. We seem to simply disagree about the optimal balance.
That's another myth of libertarian economists, either allow high inequality or get flat equal poverty.
"Either allow high inequality or get flat equal poverty" was not what I said, was it? I didn't present that binary choice did I? In point 2, to which you were replying there, I simply said that one way to reduce the average environmental footprint per person would be for all the world to be poor. I didn't say that this is a desirable option. I didn't say it was the only option. I explicitly said that I didn't favour it later in the post. Do you disagree with me that if all the world was poor the average environmental footprint would be lower? Note: this is not a question about values, or about what you or I might want to be so. It's a factual question. I think you need to separate question of fact from question of what we may or may not want to happen.

The trouble is that you don't read what's written at face value. You see it through the prism of the various prejudices that you assume people to have.
Without the need of Western countries imposing population control on others, the data indicates that population growth will stabilize by itself:
At what point did I advocate Western countries imposing population control on others?
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Steve3007 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:47 am viewtopic.php?p=358899#p358899
I never got around to properly responding to this. So I'll do so now.
You had already responded that post with this: viewtopic.php?p=359228#p359228 and I responded to that with this: viewtopic.php?p=359283#p359283. So I'm not sure what is it that you're expecting now.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Count Lucanor wrote:So I'm not sure what is it that you're expecting now.
Nothing. No obligation to reply, obviously.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:47 am
Secondly, the "standards of affluence" of the developed world are inherent to its standard of exploitation of resources and people, so why would the rest of the world should follow the bad example?
Are you saying that most people in the world would rather be poor than to grow affluent by "exploitation of resources and people"? On what evidence do you see this fundamental difference between the peoples of the world?
This is the fault line in Count's reasoning. He sees affluence and poverty in terms of virtue rather than opportunity, the inverse of the so-called "prosperity gospel".

But, as we humans change the subject, animals are still suffering and dying for their innocence and lack of voice. What do we do about it? What can we do about it? Do we want to do anything about it?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:This is the fault line in Count's reasoning. He sees affluence and poverty in terms of virtue rather than opportunity, the inverse of the so-called "prosperity gospel".
Yes, as I've said to him, I do think that one of Count Lucanor's habits is to see things in terms of blame and virtue rather than problems and potential solutions. It stops him from taking statements at face value and causes him to tend to look for the arrogant imperialist western subtext that assumes must be there.
What do we do about it?
That's the question that I've been trying to shift the other topic on to discussing! On questions that are relevant to political policies, I'm a pragmatist. I never see the point of discussing problems while never considering practicable solutions. i.e. solution that have a chance of being implemented, as opposed to "if I ruled the world then this would happen..." style solutions.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Count, in the interests of brevity and focus I'll address one of the points in your previous answer, because I think it's potentially a good route into discussing practicable solutions to problems that we can probably all agree exist.

viewtopic.php?p=359283#p359283
Count Lucanor wrote:there could be reduced inequality by improving the life of the poor and downsizing the excessive lifestyles of the rich, both aiming to be sustainable societies. The ultimate goal, as I see it, is well-being, not affluence, which by no means is a measure of fulfilling lives.
I agree. But I think we probably both know that it's not enough to simply say the above. If we're interested in practicable solutions to problems then we'd have to discuss how we'd achieve the above in practice, if we were in a position to make political decisions. To do that, we'd have to first consider the question of why "excessive lifestyles of the rich" exist. It's not enough to simply say something like "because the affluent west is selfish, greedy and wasteful" or something along those lines. Even if that were true, saying so doesn't solve the problem. Human beings, the world over, are broadly the same. Generally speaking, if most people get the chance to own two big gas guzzling cars and fly around the world on luxury holidays (for example) they will take it. That isn't much affected by the part of the world from which they come.

So, if we think that a lifestyle of excessive consumption is a bad thing, and that the spread of such lifestyles across more of the world would be an even worse thing, what do we propose to do to fix that? Higher taxes on the rich? Ban big cars? Do we have any potential solutions that, if we proposed them as an elected politician, might actually work?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I propose radical Buddhism. If some very rich individual, or body of very rich individuals financed education in radical Buddhism via the media excessive consumption for whatever reason would quite soon become as unfashionable as smoking or keeping slaves.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OK. How are we going to incentivise the funding of the teaching of radical Buddhism? Tax breaks? And does it need to be Buddhism? Couldn't it just be the teaching of whatever it is about Buddhism that you think discourages unsustainable consumption?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Steve3007 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 6:56 am OK. How are we going to incentivise the funding of the teaching of radical Buddhism? Tax breaks? And does it need to be Buddhism? Couldn't it just be the teaching of whatever it is about Buddhism that you think discourages unsustainable consumption?
There already are sufficient very rich people of good will to do it. Other very rich people might climb into their bandwagon.

I choose Buddhism because 'most' people don't believe in God, and radical Buddhism has no deities.

What there is about that discourages unsustainable consumption is practising Buddhists' detachment from needs and wants. Moreover, Buddhism is based upon reasoning not faith, and 'most' people nowadays prefer reasoning to faith.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Belindi wrote:There already are sufficient very rich people of good will to do it. Other very rich people might climb into their bandwagon.
OK. They might. That's good. But they haven't yet. We don't yet have in place a system for teaching radical Buddhism as the way forward. Any thoughts as to how to get it going?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

The time for religions has long passed.
But even if you got the whole world following Buddhism; even if you got radical vegetarianism, somehow you would still have to reduce the growing population.
Not just reduce the rate of increase, not just balance the numbers, but make significant reductions in numbers if the earth's resources are not to be used up.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

But I always thought the attraction of Buddhism was that, as Belindi kind of suggested, it's not really a religion. It's a kind of "I Can't Believe It's Not Religion".
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Steve3007 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 8:11 am
Belindi wrote:There already are sufficient very rich people of good will to do it. Other very rich people might climb into their bandwagon.
OK. They might. That's good. But they haven't yet. We don't yet have in place a system for teaching radical Buddhism as the way forward. Any thoughts as to how to get it going?
Literature, drama especially children's lit and drama. Film, TV, schools. Pop music and rap.TV soaps especially with popular admixture of romance, sentiment, and sex. Maybe some old fashioned snobbery about stately home family with a muscular Buddhist hero played by an actor capable of introducing 'spirituality' without sloppiness.

Here is possibly a nucleus for a healthy growing cell:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/j ... 9-recovery

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream